Raw Eggs VS. Cooked Eggs

  1. Registered User
    Z28Luver7777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    641
    Answers
    4

    Raw Eggs VS. Cooked Eggs


    Whats better for you?

  2. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar


    Cook em mate, no one likes salmonella
  3. Registered User
    DrchocolateMi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    47
    Answers
    0


    cooked eggs, raw eggs are dangerous to take, at least 1 out of every 10 contains salmanilla. at least according to my genral nutrition professor said.but cooked is better bc cooked eggs are easier to break down for the body than raw eggs
    •   
       

  4. Primordial Performance Rep
    Board Sponsor
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,390
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by DrchocolateMi View Post
    cooked eggs, raw eggs are dangerous to take, at least 1 out of every 10 contains salmanilla. at least according to my genral nutrition professor said.but cooked is better bc cooked eggs are easier to break down for the body than raw eggs
    I agree, cook them. However, having previously had a raw or two whites in a shake, I will state that 1 in 10 is horribly off. I remember in another thread someone mentioned 1 in 150,000 and that was based off an older study, im sure its improved since then.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  5. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Answers
    0


    This thread again?! Search "How do you eat your eggs?" - we had a thread just like this about a month ago.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  6. Registered User
    DrchocolateMi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    47
    Answers
    0


    ya, thats y i said according to my genral nutrtion professor. she could have just been saying 1 out of 10 to keep us from eating them raw, she could have been completely exaggerating.
  7. Registered User
    Z28Luver7777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    641
    Answers
    4


    I've read that cooking eggs denatures the protein in it
  8. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    This is one of those topics for the ages. Most everyone will tell you to fully cook your eggs. I personally drink liquid egg whites each day, albeit they are pasteurized, they are far from cooked. It works for me. As far as eating whole eggs/yolks, I either hard boil eggs or scramble and pan fry them.

    According to eggwhitesint.com:

    The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

    Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3 minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body. When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs, you are overcooking the protein and denaturing the true value of the protein. Therefore, 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites are liquid but not raw, making them the purest form of protein In The Entire World! They will stay good in your refrigerator for 90 to 120 days and can be safely kept frozen indefinitely.

    ref: http://www.eggwhitesint.com/healthfacts.htm

    This is the same process for the liquid eggs that I drink.
  9. Registered User
    Mindless's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    175
    Answers
    0


    Just a detail, but isn't Biotin Vitamin B7?
  10. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Z28Luver7777 View Post
    I've read that cooking eggs denatures the protein in it
    Well, yeah, it denatures the protein - but so does your stomach. Pretty much every protein you eat is denatured and broken down into di- or tri-peptides before it actually is absorbed by the small intestine. Whole proteins are, in general, far too large to fit through the transporters responsible for protein uptake.

    That denaturing effect is what you want, it won't detract from the nutrition of the egg, it just makes digestion easier.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    This is one of those topics for the ages. Most everyone will tell you to fully cook your eggs. I personally drink liquid egg whites each day, albeit they are pasteurized, they are far from cooked. It works for me. As far as eating whole eggs/yolks, I either hard boil eggs or scramble and pan fry them.

    According to eggwhitesint.com:

    The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

    Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3 minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body. When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs, you are overcooking the protein and denaturing the true value of the protein. Therefore, 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites are liquid but not raw, making them the purest form of protein In The Entire World! They will stay good in your refrigerator for 90 to 120 days and can be safely kept frozen indefinitely.

    ref: http://www.eggwhitesint.com/healthfacts.htm

    This is the same process for the liquid eggs that I drink.
    As you point out, pasteurized egg whites are very different from raw. Thought they're still liquid, but they've been heated enough that protein denaturing and sterilization occurs, giving them some of the benefits of cooked eggs. I've looked into these in the past and would to give them a try at some point, but man are they pricey.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  11. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar


    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Well, yeah, it denatures the protein
    Crikey moses, I think we need to start a basic human biology class in digestion, the number of times we get 'it might denature the protein' coming up
  12. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    Crikey moses, I think we need to start a basic human biology class in digestion, the number of times we get 'it might denature the protein' coming up
    Not a bad idea. I think most folks don't realize that low pH + stomach enzymes make the stomach the perfect environment to destroy most macromolecules thrown in there.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  13. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    As you point out, pasteurized egg whites are very different from raw. Thought they're still liquid, but they've been heated enough that protein denaturing and sterilization occurs, giving them some of the benefits of cooked eggs. I've looked into these in the past and would to give them a try at some point, but man are they pricey.
    Right, they are pricey @ $2.49 per 16 oz. but man let me tell you, the ease of slamming back 8 oz's along with a handful of almonds for a snack makes it justifiable. Egg White Int. is a bit more pricey. I'd recommend going to your local grocer and price out the cartons. It's essentially the same price as a protein bar, you get strait up egg white protein and none of the fillers and I'll call it "garbage" they put in those bars along with a the little bit of protein in 'em.

    I'm all about convenience in this regard.
  14. Registered User
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    867
    Answers
    0


    The chances of picking up salmonella from eggs is fairly low since the egg has to be harboring the bacteria for you to get it in the first place, but still, it's all about the efficiency of digestion in this case. BUT you do eliminate the risk to 0% if you cook them, so... Yeah, cook 'em!
  15. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Right, they are pricey @ $2.49 per 16 oz. but man let me tell you, the ease of slamming back 8 oz's along with a handful of almonds for a snack makes it justifiable. Egg White Int. is a bit more pricey. I'd recommend going to your local grocer and price out the cartons. It's essentially the same price as a protein bar, you get strait up egg white protein and none of the fillers and I'll call it "garbage" they put in those bars along with a the little bit of protein in 'em.

    I'm all about convenience in this regard.
    You're absolutely right - I have yet to come across a mass-produced protein bar that I wouldn't consider a "cheat". A candy bar with 15g-30g protein is still candy.

    I'll look into the pricing. Thanks.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  16. Primordial Performance Rep
    Board Sponsor
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,390
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    You're absolutely right - I have yet to come across a mass-produced protein bar that I wouldn't consider a "cheat". A candy bar with 15g-30g protein is still candy.

    I'll look into the pricing. Thanks.
    Homemade
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  17. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Homemade
    Yup. I make em a couple time a week. Mmmm....
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  18. Registered User
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    867
    Answers
    0


    I used to make homemade protein bars but they were more like meal replacement bars and it was like eating a brick! lol

    Shakes are the way to go! Get an electronic coffee grinder and grind up your oats into a powder. Very, very easy way to get in good carbs. Eating oatmeal feels like a chore, but I can chug oat powder in just a few seconds. Yay
  19. Registered User
    eatingisfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    782
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    The chances of picking up salmonella from eggs is fairly low since the egg has to be harboring the bacteria for you to get it in the first place, but still, it's all about the efficiency of digestion in this case. BUT you do eliminate the risk to 0% if you cook them, so... Yeah, cook 'em!
    I always thought it was from the bird crap that's sometimes on the eggs. The eggs are supposed to be washed but some still come through with crap stuck to it. That said I've never gotten salmonella from eggs, even whole raw ones.
  20. Registered User
    ana420's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    Answers
    0


    Ronnie Coleman cooks his eggs and THAT is a good enough reason for me.
  21. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ana420 View Post
    Ronnie Coleman cooks his eggs and THAT is a good enough reason for me.
    If Ronnie Coleman jumped off a bridge, would you?
  22. Registered User
    eatingisfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    782
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ana420 View Post
    Ronnie Coleman cooks his eggs and THAT is a good enough reason for me.
    He's also on 3-5 different androgens
  23. Registered User
    dadon4sho's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    Cook em mate, no one likes salmonella
    plus one!
  24. Registered User
    younganabolic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    263
    Answers
    0
  25. Registered User
    bpchampion's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    81
    Answers
    0


    i read somewhere that although raw eggs contain something like 6 more grams of protein than cooked eggs the bio availability of protein in a raw egg is 35% where the bio availability in a cooked egg is 90%
  26. Registered User
    Frequency's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    747
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bpchampion View Post
    i read somewhere that although raw eggs contain something like 6 more grams of protein than cooked eggs the bio availability of protein in a raw egg is 35% where the bio availability in a cooked egg is 90%
    That would suggest that cooking the egg completely obliterates half the protein.

    My hats off to anyone who can drink liquid egg whites. Tried it and just about puked. No drinking slime for me
  27. Registered User
    sapentia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    137
    Answers
    0


    The Journal of Nutrition Vol. 128 No. 10 October 1998, pp. 1716-1722
    Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques1,2,3

    Pieter Evenepoel, Benny Geypens, Anja Luypaerts, Martin Hiele, Yvo Ghoos4, and Paul Rutgeerts

    Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Research Centre, University Hospital Leuven, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium

    ABSTRACT

    Egg proteins contribute substantially to the daily nitrogen allowances in Western countries and are generally considered to be highly digestible. However, information is lacking on the true ileal digestibility of either raw or cooked egg protein. The recent availability of stable isotope-labeled egg protein allowed determination of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein by means of noninvasive tracer techniques. Five ileostomy patients were studied, once after ingestion of a test meal consisting of 25 g of cooked 13C- and 15N-labeled egg protein, and once after ingestion of the same test meal in raw form. Ileal effluents and breath samples were collected at regular intervals after consumption of the test meal and analyzed for 15N- and 13C-content, respectively. The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 0.8 and 51.3 9.8%, respectively. A significant negative correlation (r = -0.92, P < 0.001) was found between the 13C-recovery in breath and the recovery of exogenous N in the ileal effluents. In summary, using the 15N-dilution technique we demonstrated that the assimilation of cooked egg protein is efficient, albeit incomplete, and that the true ileal digestibility of egg protein is significantly enhanced by heat-pretreatment. A simple 13C-breath test technique furthermore proved to be a suitable alternative for the evaluation of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein.
  28. Registered User
    WarMachine000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    31
    Posts
    253
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by eatingisfun View Post
    I always thought it was from the bird crap that's sometimes on the eggs. The eggs are supposed to be washed but some still come through with crap stuck to it. That said I've never gotten salmonella from eggs, even whole raw ones.
    When birds eat, only a small amount is properly digested (flying birds + poop= spread of seeds/plants.
    Since a lot of bird poop is still, theoretically, usable, chicken farmers mix bird poop with bird food to increase profit margins.
    This practice increases salmonella contamination in any raw poultry product.
  29. Registered User
    Z28Luver7777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    641
    Answers
    4


    Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine000 View Post
    When birds eat, only a small amount is properly digested (flying birds + poop= spread of seeds/plants.
    Since a lot of bird poop is still, theoretically, usable, chicken farmers mix bird poop with bird food to increase profit margins.
    This practice increases salmonella contamination in any raw poultry product.
    Is that true? If so, what brands of eggs doesn't do this?
  30. Registered User
    WarMachine000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    31
    Posts
    253
    Answers
    0


    I don't know if any brands DON'T do it. I just cook mine all the way. Eating raw eggs is like Russian roulette, and if someone relies THAT heavily on egg protein, then they should probably get their diet in check.
    each to their own- just risky for negligible difference IMO and seems like missing training for even possible salmonella poisoning isn't a good idea.
    If it works for you and you're happy, more power to you
  31. Registered User
    Z28Luver7777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    641
    Answers
    4


    What about pasteurized eggs? aren't they safe raw?
  32. Registered User
    fitnessbyalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    114
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Z28Luver7777 View Post
    What about pasteurized eggs? aren't they safe raw?
    the chances of getting salmonella from raw eggs are very low. Eggs digest better raw. I still think its best to cook them but not OVER-cook them. Overcooking eggs leads to oxidized cholesterol which is quite bad for us. The same thing happens during the pasteurization of milk.

    -Alex
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. RAW EGGS vs COOKED EGGS
    By LIFTEDnGIFTED in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 09:38 PM
  2. How do you cooked your eggs?
    By TipTopShape in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 12:28 AM
  3. How do you consume your eggs? Raw or Cooked?
    By svtfocusman in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 08:57 PM
  4. EGGS Raw or cooked??
    By PHWSSJ in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 07:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in