Eating at night?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Eating at night?

My schedule at work with the Air Force tends to leave me eating later than i should.

Furthermore, if I do eat dinner at around 530 or 6:00, I end up working out afterwards and I've always heard that it's important to get some protein right after you work out - so should I be eating something after I workout in the evening? Even if it's around 10:00? Or is it better to just have some water, go to bed, and have some egg whites etc in the morning?

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Answers

absolutely critical to eat after WO.... Gotta fuel the muscles you just tore down, wanna stay anabolic.

PWO consume 0.33 g high GCI carbs per LB of your target weight and half that for protein, no fat.

Your target weight will depend on whether u wanna gain or cut.. Lets assume you cutting

target weight 220lb
    220 x 0.33 = 72 g carbs 36 g protein

Fast acting High GCI carbs.. this is your Post WO shake, suck it down directly after u finish WO... I use Waxy Maize for my carbs and add in 2 scoops Isopure whey protein. if its late add some casein, maybe a cup of milk, will keep you catabolic for longer during sleep

Make sure you have pre WO meal too, these are your most important meals of the day if you are looking for lean gains
    Eat clean, piss dirty

3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Answers

My goal weight is 200lbs... in that case I should be doing 66g carbs and 33g protein? I just want to make sure I'm getting you right on this.

To be clear, I want to essentially maintain/get more definition, not necessarily get bigger. I have plenty of muscle, I want to cut fat. I'm in good shape as far as muscles go but defnitely hauling around a good 35 pounds of excess fat. Does this stuff still apply?

You're saying I should have Waxy Maize for carbs, 2 scoops whey protein (or whatever works out to 33g) directly after a workout? I usually finish around 930. I'd have that then... I've heard Casein and milk right before bed? How much casein? What is it good for?

Thanks a ton for the suggestions.

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Answers

get some whey protein and drink it immediately after your workout

EDIT: I personally would stay away from carbs at night. I don't get any carbs after 7pm

5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Answers

oops made mistake gave you the numbers for PRE WO shake

post is 0.5 X target weight

so 200lb =

200 x 0.5 = 100g carbs 50g protein

waxy maize just my Post WO carb of choice you could use any fruit or fast acting carb. Casein will just takes longer to absorb into your body and so your body stays catabolic for a longer period of time. So your total is still 50g protein try i cup of skim milk and add whey to total 50g
    Eat clean, piss dirty

6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Answers

i work out late from time to time. i go with a protien shake 50% whey 50% casein powder.or at a min. a large glass of milk and a handfull of bcaa.i would stay away from carbs that close to bed unless your bulking

7. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  194 lbs.
    Answers

Definitely stay away from carbs after 7

8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by edwitt View Post
    oops made mistake gave you the numbers for PRE WO shake

post is 0.5 X target weight

so 200lb =

200 x 0.5 = 100g carbs 50g protein

waxy maize just my Post WO carb of choice you could use any fruit or fast acting carb. Casein will just takes longer to absorb into your body and so your body stays catabolic for a longer period of time. So your total is still 50g protein try i cup of skim milk and add whey to total 50g

I never knew the % of pre/post workout carbs and protein.

9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Answers

[QUOTE=coldseed;2313363] I never knew the % of pre/post workout carbs and protein.[/QUOTE

pre WO is

0.33 x target weight then half of that total for prottein
    Eat clean, piss dirty

10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

wowww 100 g carbs is wayyy too much. we are trying to replenish glycogen, not gain weight. the guy wants to lose 35 pounds, no extra is needed. 60 gram carbs 40 protein. its not like he is working out twice a day fully depleting glycogen. 60 grams will replenish you and keep you anabolic. now you should follow with a small meal after that, some lean meat and a little bit of vegetables. but 100 g carbs will just bloat you too much and take up space in your stomach.

11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Answers

you want to go for a creatine/carb drink right after you workout to replenish glycogen. protein should come about 20 min after that. i have gotten mixed reactions about waxy maize but a sugary juice like grape or apple always works. the simpler the sugar, the faster it will spike your insulin in order to drive the creatine in. since insulin would then already be high, it will also boost the whey's availability when you drink it because insulin is so anabolic. go for a pure creatine powder like the one from primordial performance. its creapure brand.

12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    get some whey protein and drink it immediately after your workout

EDIT: I personally would stay away from carbs at night. I don't get any carbs after 7pm
    He said it

13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by salto571 View Post
    you want to go for a creatine/carb drink right after you workout to replenish glycogen. protein should come about 20 min after that. i have gotten mixed reactions about waxy maize but a sugary juice like grape or apple always works. the simpler the sugar, the faster it will spike your insulin in order to drive the creatine in. since insulin would then already be high, it will also boost the whey's availability when you drink it because insulin is so anabolic. go for a pure creatine powder like the one from primordial performance. its creapure brand.
    try to stay away from fructose as post workout shake. fructose needs to be proccessed through the liver and doesnt replenish glycogen as fast as glucose does. you can get pure glucose which is called dextrose for $20 per 10 lb bag. another good cheap carb for post workout is maltodextrin. a mixture of those two 50/50 + whey is all you need

14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Answers

I don't have a kitchen or anything to cook in because I live in barracks on a base, and I eat in a mess. This means anything I have after a workout needs to be ready-made, which makes it hard to eat anything near healthy.

How do you guys feel about Jerky as a source of protein? Very low in calories and fat - decent in protein. I realize its ****e for you as far as preservatives and sodium and such, but I'm asking you in terms of protein, fat, calories.

15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AirCanuck View Post
    I don't have a kitchen or anything to cook in because I live in barracks on a base, and I eat in a mess. This means anything I have after a workout needs to be ready-made, which makes it hard to eat anything near healthy.

How do you guys feel about Jerky as a source of protein? Very low in calories and fat - decent in protein. I realize its ****e for you as far as preservatives and sodium and such, but I'm asking you in terms of protein, fat, calories.
    great snack. if you can find some decent not over processed jerky its great

16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

after you workout you don't want any fat because you want everything to absorb as fast as possible an not slow digest... so WPI+High GI Carb or Waxy Maize, potato starch carb etc, people say no carbs after 7 but if you are working out until 9.... YOU NEED YOUR CARBS! I follow the same rule but if I am working out late, you gotta have your carbs... if your trying to lose weight an are afraid to eat carbs late, dont workout late lol, easy as that. Also, if you have a hot plate an a pot... hard boild eggs ftw, take the yolk out an you have easy, transportable high-quality protein with no fat or carbs.

17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

please leave the yolk in. most valuable part of the egg.

18. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    i agree, but he's suggesting leaving out for the fact that it contains fats. although they are indeed healthy, they will slow the absorption.. he was just giving a quick and easy alternative for a "lean" meat..

19. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    Don't get me wrong the yolk = MONEY

Quote Originally Posted by GM muscle View Post
    i agree, but he's suggesting leaving out for the fact that it contains fats. although they are indeed healthy, they will slow the absorption.. he was just giving a quick and easy alternative for a "lean" meat..
    exactly.

20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Answers

If you are trying to loose weight, carbs are not 100% needed after a workout especially at 10 pm, do they help replenish glycogen, yes, but if you want maximize fat loss it may be better to just get your whey in post workout, then an hour or so later before bed get you casien and healthy fats so you don't get too catabolic during sleep, then get your carbs at breakfast

21. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  263 lbs.
    Answers

Kinda on the same subject. I'm also in the air force I work midshift (10p-6a) I'm tryin to cut down. Now will the food I eat through negatively effect me?

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Night Eating Syndrome Need Help!
    By MetalMX in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
  2. When to actually STOP eating carbs at night?
    By jumpshot903 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 01:25 PM
  3. Night/evening eating / diet
    By jeffh3c in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 10:40 AM
  4. Hormone Imbalance and Night Eating
    By Kanecore in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 11:58 PM
  5. Eating Late at Night Is bad? or Myth