Do I need to eat more?

Should I increase how much I eat, within reason?

• Yes, You can build more muscle

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • No, At your workout rate you will only gain more flab.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cervantes

Awards
Just started bodybuilding about a year ago. I am not looking to hulk out, just to get stronger. Not looking to be Ahnuld. More like Nate Marquardt.

Because of that I have been limiting my calorie intake to under 2000, and also focusing on protein. I am taking creatine, whey, multivitamin, and soon testopro. I have stayed a steady 170 lbs, but have gone up by 50 lbs on my bench. I wouldn't mind putting on a bit more weight, but I want to make sure its muscle, not fat.

I work out about an hour a day 6 days a week. I can't really beef up my time, because I have some other stuff I have to do. To busy. So, if I start eating more, will that help with my muscle gain, or merely make me fatter?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
yea, you're gonna need food to grow.

muscle doesn't just generate out of nowhere from lifting...

you need food as fuel (carbs/fat) and building blocks (protein)

Cervantes

Awards
True, but I would think that 2000 would be enough. Its not like I feel particularly sore either. I eat about my bodyweight in protein per gram (or whatever that formula is they put on whey tubs)

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
2000 isnt enough.

i'm cutting and my calories for the day today will be 2,300

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you get stronger in the gym, you grow in the kitchen and at night. what results you see is going to be from what diet you have. 2k cals isnt enough.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
you get stronger in the gym, you grow in the kitchen and at night. what results you see is going to be from what diet you have. 2k cals isnt enough.
couldn't have said it better.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
I work out about an hour a day 6 days a week. I can't really beef up my time, because I have some other stuff I have to do. To busy. So, if I start eating more, will that help with my muscle gain, or merely make me fatter?
Your in the gym enough. Make sure you are incorporating the right exercises into your gym time. Don't worry about looking like Arnold.. Its going to take a lot more than a few months let alone a few years to end up looking like him. The guy above me has some good advice. Just make sure to avoid junk foods if you don't want to gain the body fat. Don't forget about your cardio either.

Cervantes

Awards
Righto. Sounds good. I am looking into adding some more boiled eggs and stuff as snack food. Its high in protein and I like them, also low in fat. Also has choline in it which I am thinking about adding to my supplements list. Thanks for the advice.

Cervantes

Awards
Yeah of course. And eggs do have fats in the yolk. I think thats a pretty balanced addition. Also going to add more milk, which also has good protein to fat ratio.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Yeah of course. And eggs do have fats in the yolk. I think thats a pretty balanced addition. Also going to add more milk, which also has good protein to fat ratio.
i would add in fish oil and olive oil, before upping any carbs.

SmallTownIron

SmallTownIron

Banned
Awards
It is not going to come to how many calories you are taking in but it mainly depends on your macros your are having. I would like to see the macros of what you are following right now. I am sure some of us on here could offer some useful information.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
It is not going to come to how many calories you are taking in but it mainly depends on your macros your are having. I would like to see the macros of what you are following right now. I am sure some of us on here could offer some useful information.
it'll depend somewhat on how many calories, but yes the macros are more important.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Maintenance is around 2500 cals for a normal person. What is your approximate BF percentage and body type? You should at the least up you cals to 3000, with a good combo of fats, carbs and protein. You know your body and you know how easily you can gain fat with a change in diet, and if you don't, you should. The more mass you add, the more carbs, fats and protein you will need to consume to maintain and continue to build upon.

Cervantes

Awards
For macros, not sure the exact percentages, but I would say probably 60% carb 10% fat, and 30% protein, though thats really just pulled out of thin air.

I am about 5'9" and weigh about 170. Don't know exact bf. I don't generally change weight that much, even when I cut out alot of calories, or when I work out and add more. It just sorta shifts between fat and muscle percentages, but always the same weight.

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
i say eat more, im at 3000 and i barely gained another pound this week, im only 131.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
What you really need to do is find your maintence calories its dependent on each person but im guessing yours based on height and weight is like 2400-2800 theres a few calculators online you can use to find the exact calories. Now maintence calories are really important because when you start a bulk or a cut you know where you need to adjust your cals to either cut about 300 cals or add some more. And personally id add more good fats to your diet.

ammoarsenal

ammoarsenal

Awards
  • Established
if you have a fast metabolism like me, you gotta eat eat eat and oh yeah eat. i started off at 130 pounds 2 years ago, and now im 190, for the most part natural lols. but i eat about 3000 calories a day, and yeah you need your fats, carbs, and proteins like all these guys said. just go for the good sources of fat, carbs, and protein. if you dont get your carbs and fats from burger king everyday and eat alot of food to build muscle, you will grow with minimal fat gain. you are what you eat

Cervantes

Awards
I have a pretty slow metabolism. I will look into that calc though.

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
Nate fights at 185, so he probably walks around at 195+.
You definitely need to eat more. 170, blow up to 200 and shred back down to 185...you'll probably look like him.

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
I believe you need to eat more in order to grow more.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
True, but I would think that 2000 would be enough. Its not like I feel particularly sore either. I eat about my bodyweight in protein per gram (or whatever that formula is they put on whey tubs)
yea.. 2000 cals would be good.... if you were a chick thats 5' tall!!! Your skinny tail needs to be taking in 4500-5500 cals a day. dont worry you can always cut later to regain your little 4 pack!!!!

Link24

Awards
  • Established
Yes, you really need to eat more than that. . . Im eating 3200calroies a day and Leaning out for the summer

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
the average american consumes 3450 cal a day, your trying to gain weight on to a 170 pound frame. This will require almost 4200 cal a day, you will have to ramp it up for your 2000 cal stomache to handle the load. Your also gonna need 375-425 on protien, and 255-300 on the carbs. I do know this for fact, as i just got out of the 170's and am now 183 and gaining.

Thing to eat while bulking, red meats, un satd. fats, yams, cruciferous vegitables, cottage cheese(i eat a tub a day 2 cups, and most of it before bed), i do drink 2 weight gainer shakes(instead of protien shakes), and i add casein to the one before bed. I have a huge bag of raw mixed nuts i snack on all day as well, i usually eat a metrix MRB instead of sweets(althought im a sucker for licorice, at least it only contains corn syrup, better than sugar), bananas to help with the water weight, and sodium levels. I will get up to 190 natty and then its another big bulking cycle, i should see 200, by summer.

Cervantes

Awards
Right sounds good. The whole reason I have been limiting my calor intake is because I am not as lean as I would like. But like I said, I am new to this. After looking around, I guess the thing is to bulk up first and then see where that takes me.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
it'll depend somewhat on how many calories, but yes the macros are more important.
Seriously people?

Steroids aside, (Food) energy drives anabolism - period.

Yes macro ratio has some influence on how many effective calories your body gets but it pales in comparison to total calorie intake. Pick a reasonable ratio and then stick with it and then a calorie becomes a calorie.

To the OP, as others have mentioned, you need to eat whatever YOU require to meet you growth goals. It could be 3000kcals it could be 4000kcals. The only way to know is to start counting and then watch the scale and the mirror.

Cervantes

Awards
Okay. Thats what I am planning on doing. How do I know if its just going to be stored as fat, instead of muscle? Like I said I want stronger, not flabbier.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Okay. Thats what I am planning on doing. How do I know if its just going to be stored as fat, instead of muscle? Like I said I want stronger, not flabbier.
you don't. this is where the mirror and experience comes in to play.

if we all new what's getting stored as fat, we would all be walking around as perfect specimens.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
my last comment might've been a little harsh.

its through experimenting that we learn what works for our bodies. I used to bulk and eat pizza and stuff, and I would get fat. Then I cleaned it up and started eating oats and wheat breads and sweet potatoes. I still got fat.
I started carb cycling, and that's what works for me personally.

You'll have to try new things and just figure it out. People don't get the bodies they want overnight.

mcdrey

Awards
After a 1 hour workout, I'd make sure I downed at least 600 calories within 30 minutes.

greaser

Awards
I would suggest getting a body fat tester. You can either buy calipers or the electronic kind. Calipers are probably more accurate, but it takes some practice to do correctly and the test takes a couple minutes to do. The electronic testers cost a bit more but the results are instant. However, I think they are of questionable accuracy and can be effected by lots of factors. However, if you do the test at the same time every day, you'll get a consistent reading and can use this as a guide.

I have calipers and also an Omron electronic body fat tester. You can get them off Amazon for about $35.

Also, it's a bit of a pain, but try keeping a food log. Write down what you're eating and how many calories (and what type) and add it all up at the end of the day. I did this recently and was surprised to learn that I was consuming way more carbs than I actually thought.

Good luck to you.

Cervantes

Awards
Yeah cool. Looked up the stuff on carb cycling and got some good ideas. Also, I will check and see if the gym I go to has some calipers, since they do have a full health center, its part of a university, so I imagine they have people training for that.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
you wont be able to bulk on 2000 calories but you may be able to recomp around 2500 calories mixed with carb cycling like what has been mentioned.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Also, it's a bit of a pain, but try keeping a food log. Write down what you're eating and how many calories (and what type) and add it all up at the end of the day. I did this recently and was surprised to learn that I was consuming way more carbs than I actually thought.
This is the best advice out there. Get a digital food scale and keep a log.

Weight management is about adjusting portions, quantities, and calories. If you are not tracking this then you are just guessing. The range for getting it correct is somewhat small (500 calories) and is very easy to blow it by guessing wrong.

Carb cycling, keto diets, supplements, etc all come a distant second to calorie/quantity counting for weight management effectiveness.