pilonidal cyst

I

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone had these before? I have this pain that feels like a lump although its difficult to actually see in the mirror, above my tail bone kinda right above and to the side of my butt crack. It kind of came all of a sudden, I think doing leg press(all the weight pushing it against the back piece) aggitated it. Is this something that might go away itself or would require doctor attention? It's not red or anything yet but today is also the first day I felt pain but it is also pretty strong pain for just noticing it, only when pressed on.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I had one, I let it sit to long and it got worse and required surgery. Go to the doctor! if its soon and not bad youll just get it drained.

edit: If it gets bad its very painful, you basically have to keep the wound open for weeks, it has to heal a certain way. It required 2 surgeries and I lost almost 20lbs. couldn't sit or walk for a weeks

S

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i got that one time. felt like a huge lump. and every time you sit down it hurts.

the doc prescribed some doxy or tetracycline and it cleared out in under a week if i remember right.

I

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys I'm trying to get to the doctor today, when I feel it, like if my belt rubs it or something it feels like 1/2 a baseball is sticking out where it is but really you can barely see anything but it is definately painful. I'm hoping they cut it open today.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
thanks guys I'm trying to get to the doctor today, when I feel it, like if my belt rubs it or something it feels like 1/2 a baseball is sticking out where it is but really you can barely see anything but it is definately painful. I'm hoping they cut it open today.
No, you hope antibiotics will take care of it or simply lancing will do. If the incise it, you will most likely have a wet to dry dressing for quite some time which sucks. It means they leave the wound open, place a wet dressing inside then a dry one over that. It gets changed out everyday. The purpose is for the wound to heal from the inside out, rather than closing the wound and creating a pocket for the bacteria to reform and grow, which would only make it worse.

also... DAMN those cysts stink like hell. I've treated many, many a Marine for them.

I

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
Well the doctor said I don't have a cyst. She just prescribed 600mg ibuprofen pills and said I should come back in 5 days if the pain doesn't subside. She said I might have pulled a muscle. I'm not convinced that it is a pulled muscle but she says she didn't feel any fluid and their is no heat or redness.