Please critique my diet

  1. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0

    Please critique my diet


    So here is my typical Mon - Fri diet. My lifting routine consists of day1 - chest, day2 - back, day3 - shoulders, day4 - arms, day5 - legs, day6 - off, day7 - repeat. Rest time between sets is kept to 45 - 60 seconds. Cardio is kept to 20 minutes after each training session, minus leg day, at a moderate pace. I've noticed that this is packing on solid muscle but with a little bit of extra fat on the side. I'm looking to have this constructively criticized to optimize my muscular growth with keeping any excess fat gain at bay.


    7:30 a.m. - 12oz. skim milk, 1 scoop ATW whey concentrate, 1/2 cup oats, 5g L-glutamine, 5g BCAA + 2 caps NOW Super EPA, 400 mg SAM-e
    9:00 a.m. - 1 carton All Whites brand pasteurized egg whites, 1 natty peanut butter and all fruit jelly sandwich on whole grain bread + ADAM multi-Vitamin
    11:00 a.m. - 2 pieces of reduced fat string cheese, 1 Kashi granola bar
    12:00 p.m. - 2 cans of tuna w/ light mayo, 2 small red baked potatos, a handful of pretzels + ADAM multi-Vitamin
    4:00 p.m. - 1 carton All Whites brand pasteurized egg whites, 1 natty peanut butter and all fruit jelly sandwich on whole grain bread
    5:00 p.m. - 1 banana, 10g BCAA in water (pre-workout)
    7:30 p.m. - 2 scoops ATW whey isolate, 1 cup oats, 5g L-glutamine, 5g BCAA (post-workout)
    8:30 p.m. - 1lbs chicken/steak/salmon, 2 cups WW pasta w/ sauce, 1 crown of broccoli + ADAM multi-Vitamin
    11:00 p.m. - 1 scoop ON Casein, 5g L-glutamine, 5 g BCAA + 3mg melatonin, 100mg 5-htp, 2 caps NOW Super EPA


    Thoughts?

  2. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    You are eating wayyy too many eggwhites. Is it the big carton or the small one? Anyway there have been a bunch of studies stating that eating over 20 whites a day could lead to a biotin deficiency, because of a protein called avidin. Whites contain three to ten times more avidin than the yolk. The fact that the whites are pasteurized doesnt help, because the avidin is stable in heat up to 85 celcius, pasteurizing occurs at around 70 farenheit. A cup or 1.5 of whites is a good measure, even better/more bioavailable cooked. Try to replace all those whites with chicken/fish/steak thats left over from the night before.

    I also dont see a good amount of fat in this diet. There is PB of course, EPA and the rotating choice of salmon, but i suggest getting yourself some nuts. Almonds, pecans, walnuts, pine seeds, etc. Thats the easiest way to get a bunch of dietary fat in the system.

    supplementing with melatonin everyday could lead to a strong dependancy. the body will eventually stop producing it naturally. I think it should be used only occasionally, when you really cant sleep. Usually melatonin secretion starts at around 9PM for most people, give or take an hour or so. Try to time your sleeping to before midnight so you can catch it and get the GH release benefits, etc.

    Other than that the diet looks strong!
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,145
    Answers
    1


    7:30 a.m. - 12oz. skim milk, 1 scoop ATW whey concentrate, 1/2 cup oats, medium piece of fruit, 5g L-glutamine, 5g BCAA + 2 caps NOW Super EPA, 400 mg SAM-e
    9:00 a.m. - 1 carton All Whites brand pasteurized egg whites, 1 natty peanut butter and all fruit jelly sandwich on whole grain bread + ADAM multi-Vitamin
    11:00 a.m. - 2 pieces of reduced fat string cheese, 1 oz almonds
    12:00 p.m. - 2 cans of tuna w/ light mayo, 2 small red baked potatoes, 1 C vegetables+ ADAM multi-Vitamin
    4:00 p.m. - 1 carton All Whites brand pasteurized egg whites, 1 natty peanut butter and all fruit jelly sandwich on whole grain bread
    5:00 p.m. - 1 banana, 10g BCAA in water (pre-workout)
    7:30 p.m. - 2 scoops ATW whey isolate, 1 cup oats, 5g BCAA, large piece of fruit (post-workout)
    8:30 p.m. - 1lbs chicken/steak/salmon, 2 cups WW pasta w/ sauce, 1 crown of broccoli + ADAM multi-Vitamin
    11:00 p.m. - 1 scoop ON Casein, 2 Tsp Natty PB, 5g L-glutamine, 3mg melatonin, 100mg 5-htp


    Corrections in bold

    Pretty solid, IMO. I am a huge fan of produce to keep blood pH a tad higher and, with my suggestions, your produce would be at around 6 servings. You can also switch out the oats for something less acidic such as rice or more red potatoes (my personal pick).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    You are eating wayyy too many eggwhites. Is it the big carton or the small one? Anyway there have been a bunch of studies stating that eating over 20 whites a day could lead to a biotin deficiency, because of a protein called avidin. Whites contain three to ten times more avidin than the yolk. The fact that the whites are pasteurized doesnt help, because the avidin is stable in heat up to 85 celcius, pasteurizing occurs at around 70 farenheit. A cup or 1.5 of whites is a good measure, even better/more bioavailable cooked. Try to replace all those whites with chicken/fish/steak thats left over from the night before.

    I also dont see a good amount of fat in this diet. There is PB of course, EPA and the rotating choice of salmon, but i suggest getting yourself some nuts. Almonds, pecans, walnuts, pine seeds, etc. Thats the easiest way to get a bunch of dietary fat in the system.

    supplementing with melatonin everyday could lead to a strong dependancy. the body will eventually stop producing it naturally. I think it should be used only occasionally, when you really cant sleep. Usually melatonin secretion starts at around 9PM for most people, give or take an hour or so. Try to time your sleeping to before midnight so you can catch it and get the GH release benefits, etc.

    Other than that the diet looks strong!

    Its the small, 16oz carton containing about 2 cups or so of whites. I utilize them because they are very quick and easy to drink rather than peel 8 or 9 hard boiled eggs. I do suppose however that it may be worth the effort to have the hard boiled eggs and include two or three yolks as well. What do you think about replacing my first carton of egg whites with 9 hard boiled eggs, eating 3 whole, the rest the whites and the second carton of All Whites with a Chobani greek yogart containing 18g of protein?

    I'll be sure to pick up some almonds/nuts this weekend when I go shopping. I agree that I need some in my diet. There have been multiple times I stand in the aisle just looking at the selection of nuts debating where I could add them in my diet or if I even should. I now have my answer.

    I picked up the melatonin because I was starting to depend on Tylenol brands "Simply Sleep" which is the sleep aid, minus the aspirin. I wanted a more natural approach to it. I also wanted something I could take daily to really hit a deep r.e.m. sleep to get the GH going. I felt that deeper sleep while on the simply sleep, but like I said, I wanted the natural route. Is there something that could be recommended for daily sleep aid use?




    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    7:30 a.m. - 12oz. skim milk, 1 scoop ATW whey concentrate, 1/2 cup oats, medium piece of fruit, 5g L-glutamine, 5g BCAA + 2 caps NOW Super EPA, 400 mg SAM-e
    9:00 a.m. - 1 carton All Whites brand pasteurized egg whites, 1 natty peanut butter and all fruit jelly sandwich on whole grain bread + ADAM multi-Vitamin
    11:00 a.m. - 2 pieces of reduced fat string cheese, 1 oz almonds
    12:00 p.m. - 2 cans of tuna w/ light mayo, 2 small red baked potatoes, 1 C vegetables+ ADAM multi-Vitamin
    4:00 p.m. - 1 carton All Whites brand pasteurized egg whites, 1 natty peanut butter and all fruit jelly sandwich on whole grain bread
    5:00 p.m. - 1 banana, 10g BCAA in water (pre-workout)
    7:30 p.m. - 2 scoops ATW whey isolate, 1 cup oats, 5g BCAA, large piece of fruit (post-workout)
    8:30 p.m. - 1lbs chicken/steak/salmon, 2 cups WW pasta w/ sauce, 1 crown of broccoli + ADAM multi-Vitamin
    11:00 p.m. - 1 scoop ON Casein, 2 Tsp Natty PB, 5g L-glutamine, 3mg melatonin, 100mg 5-htp


    Corrections in blod

    Pretty solid, IMO. I am a huge fan of produce to keep blood pH a tad higher and, with my suggestions, your produce would be at around 6 servings. You can also switch out the oats for something less acidic such as rice or more red potatoes (my personal pick).

    I agree with you about adding fruit to a diet. I think I'm going to have a second banana post work out. Should I lower the oats to 1/2 cup post workout with the addition of the banana, rather than 1 cup oats and a banana? I failed to note that I have 2 caps Now Super EPA with my pre-bed casein shake. I have corrected it on my original list. With that being said, do you feel I should still have the 2 tb natty pb?

    I'm looking over your modifications. I noticed in my post workout shake you took out the 5g of L-glutamine and my pre-bed casein shake, you took out the 5g bcaa. Was this intentional? I've often wondered if I should in fact lower these amino acid levels some, and where it should be pulled.

    What are the benfits to keeping your blood ph levels a bit higher than norm? I am not familiar with this.
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,145
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Its the small, 16oz carton containing about 2 cups or so of whites. I utilize them because they are very quick and easy to drink rather than peel 8 or 9 hard boiled eggs. I do suppose however that it may be worth the effort to have the hard boiled eggs and include two or three yolks as well. What do you think about replacing my first carton of egg whites with 9 hard boiled eggs, eating 3 whole, the rest the whites and the second carton of All Whites with a Chobani greek yogart containing 18g of protein?

    I'll be sure to pick up some almonds/nuts this weekend when I go shopping. I agree that I need some in my diet. There have been multiple times I stand in the aisle just looking at the selection of nuts debating where I could add them in my diet or if I even should. I now have my answer.

    I picked up the melatonin because I was starting to depend on Tylenol brands "Simply Sleep" which is the sleep aid, minus the aspirin. I wanted a more natural approach to it. I also wanted something I could take daily to really hit a deep r.e.m. sleep to get the GH going. I felt that deeper sleep while on the simply sleep, but like I said, I wanted the natural route. Is there something that could be recommended for daily sleep aid use?







    I agree with you about adding fruit to a diet. I think I'm going to have a second banana post work out. Should I lower the oats to 1/2 cup post workout with the addition of the banana, rather than 1 cup oats and a banana? I failed to note that I have 2 caps Now Super EPA with my pre-bed casein shake. I have corrected it on my original list. With that being said, do you feel I should still have the 2 tb natty pb?

    I'm looking over your modifications. I noticed in my post workout shake you took out the 5g of L-glutamine and my pre-bed casein shake, you took out the 5g bcaa. Was this intentional? I've often wondered if I should in fact lower these amino acid levels some, and where it should be pulled.

    What are the benfits to keeping your blood ph levels a bit higher than norm? I am not familiar with this.
    IMO, oral glutamine is pretty useless and taking in BCAA pre-bed is overkill with a big casein shake and fat. I would actually suggest to drink 15-20g of BCAA throughout the day to reduce catabolism.

    Metabolic acidosis is a condition that far too many people have and do not realize it. Here's an article by John Berardi on the topic:

    http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    IMO, oral glutamine is pretty useless and taking in BCAA pre-bed is overkill with a big casein shake and fat. I would actually suggest to drink 15-20g of BCAA throughout the day to reduce catabolism.

    Metabolic acidosis is a condition that far too many people have and do not realize it. Here's an article by John Berardi on the topic:

    http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm

    Very interesting article. My first thought however is that it is not a common problem, as there is no exposure to this sort of condition and in turn would come to this conclusion. Perhaps its overlooked?

    Is natty PB and EPA oils too much fat to consume with my shake prior to bed?
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,145
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Very interesting article. My first thought however is that it is not a common problem, as there is no exposure to this sort of condition and in turn would come to this conclusion. Perhaps its overlooked?

    Is natty PB and EPA oils too much fat to consume with my shake prior to bed?
    It's a very common problem since many, many people do not eat enough produce to compensate for the acidity of meat and grains.

    That's not too much fat to consume before bed.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Its the small, 16oz carton containing about 2 cups or so of whites. I utilize them because they are very quick and easy to drink rather than peel 8 or 9 hard boiled eggs. I do suppose however that it may be worth the effort to have the hard boiled eggs and include two or three yolks as well. What do you think about replacing my first carton of egg whites with 9 hard boiled eggs, eating 3 whole, the rest the whites and the second carton of All Whites with a Chobani greek yogart containing 18g of protein?

    I'll be sure to pick up some almonds/nuts this weekend when I go shopping. I agree that I need some in my diet. There have been multiple times I stand in the aisle just looking at the selection of nuts debating where I could add them in my diet or if I even should. I now have my answer.

    I picked up the melatonin because I was starting to depend on Tylenol brands "Simply Sleep" which is the sleep aid, minus the aspirin. I wanted a more natural approach to it. I also wanted something I could take daily to really hit a deep r.e.m. sleep to get the GH going. I felt that deeper sleep while on the simply sleep, but like I said, I wanted the natural route. Is there something that could be recommended for daily sleep aid use?

    I think you should first of all embrace the egg yolk. It contains many anabolic compounds and is a source of GOOD cholesterol. Eat the whole egg. The second carton you can replace with a yogurt or perhaps something more substantial like a chicken breast w/ some veg.

    Definitely pick up almonds and walnuts. Make sure they arent toasted or roasted or whatever. Discount stores like Costco have big bags of almost every type of nut.

    Supplementing sleep is never I good idea in my opinion. The body knows exactly what to do and there are very particular mechanisms that go on. Unless you are having a hard time falling asleep, you shouldnt need any supplements. Remove all sources of light and black the room out, turn the temperature down a little, and wait an hour or 2 after eating a meal to go to sleep. I drink some chamomile tea after dinner, 2 tea bags in a cup. Chamomile has natural calming properties and especially if you are a little tired it will knock you out. You really shouldnt take anything else though. Let the body do it's thing. Just a couple decades ago people had no sleep aid besides maybe a well rolled joint/blunt, and they slept like bricks.
  9. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    I think you should first of all embrace the egg yolk. It contains many anabolic compounds and is a source of GOOD cholesterol. Eat the whole egg. The second carton you can replace with a yogurt or perhaps something more substantial like a chicken breast w/ some veg.

    Definitely pick up almonds and walnuts. Make sure they arent toasted or roasted or whatever. Discount stores like Costco have big bags of almost every type of nut.

    Supplementing sleep is never I good idea in my opinion. The body knows exactly what to do and there are very particular mechanisms that go on. Unless you are having a hard time falling asleep, you shouldnt need any supplements. Remove all sources of light and black the room out, turn the temperature down a little, and wait an hour or 2 after eating a meal to go to sleep. I drink some chamomile tea after dinner, 2 tea bags in a cup. Chamomile has natural calming properties and especially if you are a little tired it will knock you out. You really shouldnt take anything else though. Let the body do it's thing. Just a couple decades ago people had no sleep aid besides maybe a well rolled joint/blunt, and they slept like bricks.

    I like your perspective on things. I mentioned a yogart because I am here at work and ease of accessability is key, hence drinking the liquid whites as compared to cracking and peeling the hard boiled eggs.

    Almonds are a sure thing come this weekend.

    I suppose I should re-evaluate my sleeping habit and perhaps even try some sleepy time tea.

    I thank you guys for your input here
  10. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Here is my final revised Mon - Fri diet:

    7:30 a.m. - 12oz. skim milk, 1 scoop ATW whey concentrate, 1/2 cup oats, 5g L-glutamine, 5g BCAA, medium piece of fruit + 2 caps NOW Super EPA, 400 mg SAM-e

    9:00 a.m. – 9 hard boiled eggs (5 whites, 4 whole), 1 natty peanut butter and all fruit jelly sandwich on whole grain bread + ADAM multi-Vitamin

    10:45 a.m. - 2 pieces of reduced fat string cheese, 1 oz almonds

    12:00 p.m. - 2 cans of tuna w/ light mayo, 1 red baked potato, 1 C vegetables+ ADAM multi-Vitamin

    4:00 p.m. - 1 Chobani plain greek yogurt, 1 natty peanut butter and all fruit jelly sandwich on whole grain bread

    5:00 p.m. - 1 banana, 10g BCAA in water (pre-workout)

    7:30 p.m. - 16 oz. skim milk, 1 scoop ATW whey isolate, 1 cup oats, 5g BCAA, 1 banana (post-workout)

    8:30 p.m. - 1lbs chicken/steak/salmon, 2 cups WW pasta w/ sauce, 1 crown of broccoli + ADAM multi-Vitamin

    11:00 p.m. - 1 scoop ON Casein, 2 Tsp Natty PB, 5g L-glutamine, 100mg 5-htp, 3mg melatonin
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,145
    Answers
    1


    Looks solid to me. Try this out for a few weeks and tinker with it as necessary.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    Looks great man! still though, try to kick the melatonin before you get too dependant
  13. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Thanks for the assistance guys.

    I will look into researching more about melatonin.
  14. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    IMO, oral glutamine is pretty useless[/URL]
    Can you elaborate on this a bit for me? I've been skeptical of if I really need it in my diet as it is non essential.
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,145
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Can you elaborate on this a bit for me? I've been skeptical of if I really need it in my diet as it is non essential.
    Most of the empirical data is collected using IV glutamine, not oral. The GI tract destroys most of it. Eating sufficient complete proteins will give you all of the glutamine you need. It may help while dieting or under extreme stress, but that's about it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    The fact that the whites are pasteurized doesnt help, because the avidin is stable in heat up to 85 celcius, pasteurizing occurs at around 70 farenheit.
    I have been doing some more research on liquid egg whites as it is way easier to eat than 9 hard boiled eggs a day. There has been conflicting information regarding the bioavailability of liquid pastuerized (not raw) egg whites. Here is a link to what I was using:

    http://www.betterneggs.com/products/...iew.cfm?prid=1

    And egg whites int. suggests that their eggs whites (which I image are comparible to the "betterneggs" all whites brand) are 100% bioavailable, here is a link:

    http://www.eggwhitesint.com/

    For me, it would be far more feasible to eat say 3 hard boiled whole eggs and then drink 1 cup liquid egg whites.

    My concern is the whole cooked vs. liquid egg whites and bioavailability debate.

    Thoughts?
  17. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    i like to cook egg whites and whole eggs, there has been reasearch proving that it increases its bioavailability. you should do what you feel like doing man. personally for me it is not a problem to fry up some eggs/whites in the morning
  18. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    On weekends it's not an issue to fry me up some eggs. Just during the work week I'm not a morning person. I have a quick protein shake before I leave the house for work then eat my breakfast here at work. I have no means of cooking it in my office.
  19. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    My revised eating plan (M-F)

    7:00 a.m. 12 oz skim milk, 1.5 scoops ATW whey concentrate w/ 5g BCAA + 5g glutamine
    7:45 a.m. 1 apple
    9:00 a.m. 1 cup FF cottage cheese, half natty PB+J sandwich on whole grain bread, 1 ADAM
    11:00 a.m. 1/4 cup whole almonds, 8 oz. liquid egg whites
    12:15 p.m. 2 cans solid albacore tuna, 2 small red baked potatos, 1 cup baby carrots, 1 ADAM
    3:30 p.m. 4 whole hard boiled eggs, the other half of the natty PB+J sandwich
    5:00 p.m. (pre-workout) 1 serving Jacked, 1 banana
    5:30-7:00 p.m. (intra-workout) sipping on 10g BCAA in water
    7:30 p.m. 16 oz skim milk, 1.5 scoops ATW whey isolate, 10g BCAA, 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana (blended together)
    8:30 p.m. Large chicken breast, 1 cup WW pasta, 1 medium brocolli crown + sauce
    11:00 p.m. 12 oz skim milk, 1.5 scoops ON Casein proten, 5g glutamine, 2 TBSP natty PB

    Suggestions on adding or deducting anything? I am currently in the beginning stages of my pct from an 8 week pro-magnon cycle.
  20. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    My revised eating plan (M-F)

    7:00 a.m. 12 oz skim milk, 1.5 scoops ATW whey concentrate w/ 5g BCAA + 5g glutamine
    7:45 a.m. 1 apple
    9:00 a.m. 1 cup FF cottage cheese, half natty PB+J sandwich on whole grain bread, 1 ADAM
    11:00 a.m. 1/4 cup whole almonds, 8 oz. liquid egg whites
    12:15 p.m. 2 cans solid albacore tuna, 2 small red baked potatos, 1 cup baby carrots, 1 ADAM
    3:30 p.m. 4 whole hard boiled eggs, the other half of the natty PB+J sandwich
    5:00 p.m. (pre-workout) 1 serving Jacked, 1 banana
    5:30-7:00 p.m. (intra-workout) sipping on 10g BCAA in water
    7:30 p.m. 16 oz skim milk, 1.5 scoops ATW whey isolate, 10g BCAA, 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana (blended together)
    8:30 p.m. Large chicken breast, 1 cup WW pasta, 1 medium brocolli crown + sauce
    11:00 p.m. 12 oz skim milk, 1.5 scoops ON Casein proten, 5g glutamine, 2 TBSP natty PB

    Suggestions on adding or deducting anything? I am currently in the beginning stages of my pct from an 8 week pro-magnon cycle.

    * try eating your preworkout food at least 1-2 hrs before lifting. the banana wont hit your blood stream right away and your gut will be busy digesting it while you are trying to lift.

    * dont drink BCAA WITH your whey. 1.5 scoops of whey will provide at least 10-12 g's of bcaa.

    * didnt rodja tell you that oral glutamine is useless? no studies proving its worth on its own. glutamine is also included in whey.

    other than that the diet is solid, lots of calories. keep it goin bro
  21. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    * try eating your preworkout food at least 1-2 hrs before lifting. the banana wont hit your blood stream right away and your gut will be busy digesting it while you are trying to lift.

    * dont drink BCAA WITH your whey. 1.5 scoops of whey will provide at least 10-12 g's of bcaa.

    * didnt rodja tell you that oral glutamine is useless? no studies proving its worth on its own. glutamine is also included in whey.

    other than that the diet is solid, lots of calories. keep it goin bro
    Thanks for the support. I'm utilizing the remaining glutamine I have. I will pull the BCAA from my protein shakes and sip 10g's during my workout. I'll also ditch the banana pre-workout.

    Werd.
  22. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    * try eating your preworkout food at least 1-2 hrs before lifting. the banana wont hit your blood stream right away and your gut will be busy digesting it while you are trying to lift.

    * dont drink BCAA WITH your whey. 1.5 scoops of whey will provide at least 10-12 g's of bcaa.

    * didnt rodja tell you that oral glutamine is useless? no studies proving its worth on its own. glutamine is also included in whey.

    other than that the diet is solid, lots of calories. keep it goin bro
    I have a question for you or Rodja, without starting a new thread. I'm looking at different post workout drink options. Here's what I'm thinking: 12 oz. Cranberry juice, 1.5 scoops ATW whey isolate, 10g creatine mono. What do you think?

    Right now my post workout shake consists of 16 oz. milk, 1.5 scoops ATW whey isolate, 1/2 cup oats and 1 banana.
  23. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    My revised eating plan (M-F)

    7:00 a.m. 12 oz skim milk, 1.5 scoops ATW whey concentrate w/ 5g BCAA + 5g glutamine
    7:45 a.m. 1 apple
    9:00 a.m. 1 cup FF cottage cheese, half natty PB+J sandwich on whole grain bread, 1 ADAM
    11:00 a.m. 1/4 cup whole almonds, 8 oz. liquid egg whites
    12:15 p.m. 2 cans solid albacore tuna, 2 small red baked potatos, 1 cup baby carrots, 1 ADAM
    3:30 p.m. 4 whole hard boiled eggs, the other half of the natty PB+J sandwich
    5:00 p.m. (pre-workout) 1 serving Jacked, 1 banana
    5:30-7:00 p.m. (intra-workout) sipping on 10g BCAA in water
    7:30 p.m. 16 oz skim milk, 1.5 scoops ATW whey isolate, 10g BCAA, 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana (blended together)
    8:30 p.m. Large chicken breast, 1 cup WW pasta, 1 medium brocolli crown + sauce
    11:00 p.m. 12 oz skim milk, 1.5 scoops ON Casein proten, 5g glutamine, 2 TBSP natty PB

    Suggestions on adding or deducting anything? I am currently in the beginning stages of my pct from an 8 week pro-magnon cycle.
    So I've grown very tired of this, as I've remained rather strict with it. I've made a couple changes for review. Do you feel that my diet lacks any major key nutrient?

    Here's the proposed plan:

    7:15 a.m. - 12oz. skim milk, 1.5 scoops ATW whey concentrate, 1/2 cup oats
    9:00 a.m. - 1/2 cup Grape Nuts, 1/2 cup granola, 8oz. skim milk, 3 hard boiled eggs, 1 ADAM, 2 Super EPA
    10:45 a.m. - 1oz. whole almonds
    12:15 p.m. - 2 turkey burgers, 14 mini cheddar and potato pierogis, 1 cup baby carrots, 1 ADAM, 2 Super EPA
    3:30 p.m. - 1 WW bagel w/ spray butter, 1 Chobani yogurt
    5:00 p.m. - Jacked
    5:45 - 7 p.m. 10g BCAA's
    7:15 p.m. - 16oz. skim milk, 1.5 scoops ATW isolate, 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana
    8:30 p.m. - 1 chicken breast, 1 cup WW pasta, 1 crown steamed broccoli, 1 ADAM, 2 Super EPA
    10:45 p.m. - 12oz. skim milk, 1 scoop ON casein


    Thoughts?
  24. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    mini cheddar and potato pierogis? where do you buy these lol
  25. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    more egggggggs you can handle more than 3 a day
  26. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Ugghh...I hate my life! I was up to 9 eggs a day, but managed to back down to 4 as of late. Perhaps I'll make a couple egg salad sandwiches to make them a bit more palatable.

    The mini pierogis are Mrs. T's brand. In my neck of the woods, we have Stop & Shop and I pick them up from the freezer section. They are in laymen terms, bangin'.
  27. Registered User
    Carcaya's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    418
    Answers
    0


    macros? I find that when i calculate macros, i get optimal results
  28. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Carcaya View Post
    macros? I find that when i calculate macros, i get optimal results
    Right. I need to, I just haven't made the time. This will help me more precisely target what I need to add, or pull for that matter.
  29. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Revised M-F meal plan:

    7:40 a.m. - awake
    8:00 a.m. - 12 oz. water, 50g WPC, 1 cup ground up whole oats, 2 super EPA, 1 ADAM
    9:15 a.m. - 400mg SAM-e
    10:00 a.m. - Natty PB&J sandwich on WW, 8oz. liquid egg whites, Kashi granola bar, 1 Liv52
    12:15 p.m. - 10oz. 99% FF turkey burger, 1 slice reduced fat sharp cheddar, 1 cup gound up whole oats, 1 banana, 2 super EPA, 1 ADAM
    3:30 p.m. - 1 WW bagel, 8oz. liquid egg whites, 1 chobani greek yogart.
    6:00 p.m. - 20g BCAA's during the coarse of my workout
    7:30 p.m. - 12oz. water, 40g dextrose, 50g WPI
    8:30 p.m. - 6 eggs (4 whole-2whites) scrambled with 2 red potatoes fried up mixed together with reduced fat shredded cheese, 2 super EPA, 1 ADAM, 1 Liv52
    10:00 p.m. - 1 serving size bowl of cereal (frosted mini wheats/raisen bran)
    11:00 p.m. - 12 oz. water, 30g casein
    11:15 - bed

    I have whole almonds and whole walnuts that I'd like to add into my diet. Suggestions as to how I can integrate them in and/or add/pull anything from my posted diet? The current gear I'm running is test prop/tren ace. Looking to optimize.
  30. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    looks pretty good. only thing processed would have to be the cereal bar and cereal. frosted wheats/raising bran def. has HFCS but thats only if you wanna be really anal about it lol

    other than that it looks healthy. dont drink too many eggwhites. i also dont know how to specifically eat while running gear, I have no experience with that.

    almonds/walnuts are great to use as a snack in between meals. i like eating them in the car coming home from work.
  31. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    also, switch the oatmeal at 12:15 with the bagel at 3:30. the 3:30 is your preworkout meal so you want something lower GI than the bagel to give more sustained energy. I personally wouldnt be able to drink 8 oz of eggwhites 2.5 hrs before a workout without getting a little sick. then again most of my workouts are BJJ training which is lots of running around etc, perhaps if you are just lifting your stomach can handle it.
  32. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Here's a final draft...for now, of my diet:

    7:40 a.m. – Awake

    8:00 a.m. - 12oz. Water, 45g WPC, 1 cup ground whole oats, 2 Super EPA, 1 ADAM

    9:30 a.m. - 400mg Sam-e

    10:15 a.m. – 1 Natural PB&J sandwich on 100% WW, 8oz. liquid egg whites, 1 Liv52

    12:30 p.m. – 9oz. 99% FF turkey burger, 1 slide reduced fat cheese, 2 cups WW pasta, 2 Super EPA, 1 ADAM

    2:30 p.m. – 1 Chobani yogurt, 1 orange

    4:00 p.m. – 8 oz. water, 1 cup ground whole oats, 8oz. liquid egg whites

    5:15 p.m. – 1 banana

    6:15-8:00 p.m. – 30g BCAA’s intra-workout

    8:05 p.m. – 12oz. Water, 40g Dextrose, 45g WPI

    9:15 p.m. – 6 Eggs (4 whole, 2 whites), 12oz. water, 1 cup ground whole oats, 2 Super EPA, 1 ADAM, 1 Liv52

    11:00 p.m. – 12oz. Water, 45g Casein, 100mg 5-HTP

    11:15 p.m. – Bed
  33. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    bodybuilding wise its a solid diet. health wise im not so sure. there is only 1 piece of fruit and not a single serving of vegetables. all the carbs are starches so thats a pretty high GI/blood sugar to maintain throughout the day. also very acidic environment because of all the starches and no vegetables to balance out the PH. oats and pasta are very quick and easy but they dont provide any micronutrients besides insoluble fiber and simple carbs. multivitamin cant give you what you need. you gotta start substituting oats and pasta with vegetables and fruit and eat more lean meats (chicken/fish), turkey burgers are ok i guess i dont know much about them.

    then again ive gone completely paleo, so this is a slightly biased opinion.
  34. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    by the way I envy your 7:40 wake up. im doing 6:20 over here..
  35. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    bodybuilding wise its a solid diet. health wise im not so sure. there is only 1 piece of fruit and not a single serving of vegetables. all the carbs are starches so thats a pretty high GI/blood sugar to maintain throughout the day. also very acidic environment because of all the starches and no vegetables to balance out the PH. oats and pasta are very quick and easy but they dont provide any micronutrients besides insoluble fiber and simple carbs. multivitamin cant give you what you need. you gotta start substituting oats and pasta with vegetables and fruit and eat more lean meats (chicken/fish), turkey burgers are ok i guess i dont know much about them.

    then again ive gone completely paleo, so this is a slightly biased opinion.

    I do value your opinion. I agree with the lack of fruits and veggies. However, it's difficult on the go. I tried to make my diet as unprocessed as possible. The turkey burger on certain days gets substitued with lean meats etc. as it also does in exchange with my eggs at night as well from time to time. My end goal may be slightly different than yours (i.e. bodybuilding to MMA), I'd like to optimize the diet in that respect. Regardless, added veggies and walnuts/almonds are a must. Just finding the spot where to properly insert them is the issue I need to look into.

    ...aren't you the one who said "You can handle more eggs!"


    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    by the way I envy your 7:40 wake up. im doing 6:20 over here..

    Yikes, 7:40 is hard enough for me. I couldn't imagine 6:20. I respect you.
  36. Registered User
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Answers
    0


    Yea eggs are great, I eat them with no limit. However I eat them whole, whether scrambled or hard boiled. The egg white isnt very nutrient dense and is mostly good for just protein. The yolk is where you get 6 grams of fat and anabolic acids and compounds. So drinking eggwhites is good, but eating whole eggs is even better. You can always hardboil them at night for the next week, it literally takes minutes. if you are bulking and want more calories you can use 2 tbs of coconut/olive oil when you scramble. this beats desperately chasing calories later in the day.

    As far as our diets differ, they dont really have to. you are eating oatmeal and pasta because you want to eat carbs and you want calories. you can get plenty of carbs from fruits and vegetables also. there is probably no issues to quickly replenish glycogen because you are not a pro athlete that trains 2-3 times a day: the carbs you eat with breakfast pretty much completely replenish the glycogen depleted from last night. so there is no difference in replenishing glycogen whether you eat oats or brocolli. the only difference however is in calories. it is very difficult to eat a ton of calories with vegetables because they are very filling, so its obviously easier to eat 100g of carbs through grains rather than vegetables. carbs, however, arent the reason why you gain muscle as you very well know. so you can get extra calories by eating nuts, which are fat and contain 9 calories per gram instead of 4 that carbs do. so if you are bulking you can get your surplus of calories through fats just as well. just like that our diets are pretty much going in the same direction.

    nuts are best eaten as a between meal snack rather than a meal. get yourself a couple thousand pack of ziplock bags.

    finally, matters of convenience. ive become a master of eating on the go. even though im not really "going" just sitting in an office all day, i pack a mean shopping bag full of food from home. i cook extra chicken and bring it to places with me. i bring a bowl/spoon/fork/knife anywhere i spend extended periods of time. i make friends with cafeteria people and local businesses. i got nuts stashed in every drawer of my desk. bringing with you fruit and veggies is just as easy as a bag of ground up oats, they are not dairy they will not spoil immediately in your car. so its just a matter of preparation, im sure you got an extra minute to throw some $hit in a bag and hit the road.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Please Critique my Diet
    By Jeff5886 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 09:41 AM
  2. CKD Diet Critique
    By OCCFan023 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
  3. Critique my Diet
    By Testudo in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 05:43 PM
  4. Someone help me, Please Critique my diet.
    By Fun2Train in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
  5. Someone help me, Please Critique my diet.
    By Fun2Train in forum Bulking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2006, 11:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in