Why Carb Cutoffs

Future

A carb cutoff is simply allowing no carbs, other than fibrous, after a certain time. If you are on a typical 9-5 schedule, 6:00 pm is a good time to cut off your carbs – with exception of post workout (which would be about 50 grams of HIGH GI carbs).

Basically you're just riding on glycogen stores (sugar in the muscles for energy) for the latter part of the day and through the night, so you'll wake up slightly depleted, ensuring that carbs you eat during the day are stored as glycogen rather than fat. Morning cardio works synergistically with the carb cutoff if you do it before eating. More likely than not, you’re not going to use carbs at night anyway, so it makes sure that you aren't overloading with carbs when you're already full, which usually leads to fat gain.

Separating energy carbs and fiber carbs also helps to make sure we get in all of our quality veggies and fiber. That chicken breast looks mighty lonely without an accompanying salad or side of spinach or broccoli. 

Different Carb Types:

People have been terming different carbohydrates simple and complex. "Simple", being the carbs that hit the system faster than "Complex", which enters the system more slowly. The introduction of the Glycemic Index has proven to be beneficial in knowing the rates at which certain carbohydrates are released into the blood stream. The Glycemic index is a measure of how quickly a particular carbohydrate is formed into glucose and enters the body. The Glycemic Index has shown certain carbs known to be "Complex" actually absorb quicker than some carbs known to be "Simple".
The Glycemic Index (or GI) was originally brought about for those people who had Diabetes, but can be useful to many athletes looking for sustained energy and better recuperation. The GI is determined by feeding different carbohydrate foods to people in portions of 50g of available carbohydrates. The blood sugar levels are then monitored over the next three hours and plotted onto a response curve.
The curve is then made into a percent of the averages of the individual responses to obtain the GI for that particular carbohydrate. The more glucose that reaches the blood in the first three hours, the higher the GI for that carbohydrate. Thus, we can now group carbohydrates into "High Glycemic" and "Low Glycemic".

Low Glycemic Carbohydrates
Here is a preferred list of some of the foods that are "Low Glycemic", and are recommended for sustained energy levels (slower absorption, lowered insulin response):
Nuts
Legumes
Fructose (Basic sugar found in fruits)
Pasta (Boiled 5 min.)
Dairy ( Ice cream, skim milk, whole milk, yogurt)
Fruits (ONLY-plums, peaches, apples, oranges, pears, grapes, grapefruit)(contains fructose)
Rice (polished), or brown
Sweet potato
Oats
All-bran
Most Vegetables ( exceptions- carrots, corn, root vegetables)
Low GI foods can benefit your health and athletic performance. Being that low GI foods are assimilated at a slower rate, they supply a steadier supply of energy. Lower GI foods alleviate hunger, leading to a more controlled appetite. Selecting lower GI carbohydrates will prevent mood swings. Lower GI foods can also result in higher muscle glycogen levels (storing more carbs in the muscle), and less chance of storing the extra glucose as fat. You see elevated insulin levels can turn on your fat storing mechanisms.
So, if you are dieting low GI foods are the way to go. If you are going to eat before training, you should pick low glycemic carbohydrates. Low glycemic foods will prevent any premature lowering of blood glucose levels before training, which can lead to fatigue. I don't know about you, but I need to be 100% for every workout, so I can't afford to experience low blood sugar in the middle of my workout causing early fatigue.
High Glycemic Carbohydrates
Here is a list of some of the foods that are "High Glycemic"(quickly absorbed, high insulin response):
Sugars (from high to low: Maltose, Glucose, Sucrose)
Honey
Puffed cereals (white rice, wheat, corn, rice cakes)YES! RICE CAKES
Potatoes ( regular russet, instant, mashed)
Candy
Breads (especially white bread)
Instant products ( instant: rice, oatmeal, wheat, grits)
Carrots, corn, peas
Flaked cereals (corn flakes, etc.)
Corn chips
Surprise! Most of these carbohydrates are used in copious amounts for low fat diets, but in reality, people might be limiting their performance and fat burning effects. Research has shown that high glycemic carbohydrates before training should not be practiced as much as you see people do today. It can lead to lower blood glucose prior to training. This will lead to a quicker depletion of muscle glycogen and fatigue as a result. High glycemic carbohydrates before training can also hamper fat release from fat cells. Thus, not getting the complete fat burning effects from your hard workouts.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i hate carbs, ive been doing low carb for 8 years now.

i keep it under 40-50 grams a day, i just dont like carbs, the way they make me feel other than that carb foods taste good.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
I love them :)
me too i dont think depriving the body of one of the major macro nutrients is smart. plus my body looks much better with the carbs in the diet. I dont even go zero carb during contest dieting.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
me too i dont think depriving the body of one of the major macro nutrients is smart. plus my body looks much better with the carbs in the diet. I dont even go zero carb during contest dieting.
a carb is a in-essential nutrient.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I stop eating carbs around 10:30 PM. I go to sleep around 1 AM. Can't live without them. If I am feeling a little pudgy I may skip the late carbs for a few days.

Future

a carb is a in-essential nutrient.
Actually without carbs you will not do so well. Sure you can convert protein to sugars BUT AGAIN it is the process of sugars that your body can operate. Not ATP and you are dead. So no, you dont NEED carbs BUT the body finds a way to still get sugars.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just started doing carb cutoffs this week. The question I have is I train at 6:30 pm, is it ok not to have carbs post workout? I have just been eating protein and veggies.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
I just started doing carb cutoffs this week. The
question I have is I train at 6:30 pm, is it ok not to have carbs post workout? I have just been eating protein and veggies.
I would still have them immediately PWO gotta restore those glycogen stores.. just not after that for any additional meals.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Actually without carbs you will not do so well. Sure you can convert protein to sugars BUT AGAIN it is the process of sugars that your body can operate. Not ATP and you are dead. So no, you dont NEED carbs BUT the body finds a way to still get sugars.
Glucose is an essential nutrient for body. With that in mind you don't need to ingest any carbs to be able to produce the minimal amount of glucose the brain will require after a few weeks into ketosis.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would still have them immediately PWO gotta restore those glycogen stores.. just not after that for any additional meals.
I dont have a pwo shake, I go straight home and eat dinner. Do I still have carbs? I go to bed around 10 pm also if that makes a difference.

Future

Glucose is an essential nutrient for body. With that in mind you don't need to ingest any carbs to be able to produce the minimal amount of glucose the brain will require after a few weeks into ketosis.
Of course its essential. You will die without it. I already mentioned the process of glucogenesis. Again, I do not think keto diets are worth while long term. There is much research that talks about lowering gh levels and T3 conversion. And do not expect to gain quality muscle either. You need carbs to build.

Future

I dont have a pwo shake, I go straight home and eat dinner. Do I still have carbs? I go to bed around 10 pm also if that makes a difference.
I think you will be fine. The carb cutoffs is a generalization for the normal people that train earlier in the day but still use pwo nutrition.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Of course its essential. You will die without it. I already mentioned the process of glucogenesis. Again, I do not think keto diets are worth while long term. There is much research that talks about lowering gh levels and T3 conversion. And do not expect to gain quality muscle either. You need carbs to build.
As a building diet I wouldn't do it, but as a cutting diet I like it.

Future

Sadly, I have been doing that with only pwo carbs for the last 7 weeks and dropped 35 lbs. BUT I have lost plenty of muscle too. Not enough BCAAs to help the catabolism.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
is dinner your last meal of the day?

if it is i would say to try to have a shake with carbs immediately PW and then 1.5 hrs later dinner without carbs. If its not your last meal then carbs (low glycemic index carbs) with dinner and no carbs after that.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
7 weeks dropping 35lbs??? wow thats 5lbs a week... deff wayyy to much

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
is dinner your last meal of the day?

if it is i would say to try to have a shake with carbs immediately PW and then 1.5 hrs later dinner without carbs. If its not your last meal then carbs (low glycemic index carbs) with dinner and no carbs after that.
Dinner is my last meal. I finish training at 7:30pm and eat when I get home. If I had a shake right after the gym I probably wouldnt want to eat because I would be full. The reason I was starting to do carb cutoffs is I wanted to drop a couple % of bf. One thing I have noticed when not eating carbs pwo is I really feel like crap in the morning when I wake.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
One thing I have noticed when not eating carbs pwo is I really feel like crap in the morning when I wake.
yeah because you didnt restore glycogen levels.. I think carbs are important PWO if u wanta cut some carbs thats fine but i would def have carbs at breakfast and PWO and maybe cut the rest. especially if ur lifting later in the day like you said.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Well, actually, if by essential you mean that the body doesn't produce them (like when referring to the 9 essential amino acids) then that is untrue.

But yes, I agree that they are imperative when it comes to bodybuilding.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Dinner is my last meal. I finish training at 7:30pm and eat when I get home. If I had a shake right after the gym I probably wouldnt want to eat because I would be full. The reason I was starting to do carb cutoffs is I wanted to drop a couple % of bf. One thing I have noticed when not eating carbs pwo is I really feel like crap in the morning when I wake.
I train late as well. You will burn up most of the carbs you stored during the day if your workout is intense. Just be sure to replenish glycogen- if you dont go the PWO shake route, eat some with your PWO meal like capone said and then no more til morning.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
It is safe to say the body can survive without them but the problem with full time low carb is the body goes in to starvation mode and fat loss slows.

I am low carb 5.5 days out of the week. Saturday and Sunday morning I go nuts but during the week I am under 40 grams a day. On Monday my pumps are insane but once all the glycogen is burnt up muscles don't look as good. You are right. Body does look better with carbs. I do it moreso for health reasons and the fact I am endomorph. I get fat easily and have a hard time burning it off. If I was ecto or meso I would definitely not worry about limiting carbs.

Long story short, I think your carb intake should depend on body type and family disease history. Heart disease and diabetes run in my family so I keep carbs low. Keeps insulin under control and triglycerides low. The high fat part keeps HDL high and LDL fluffy.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah because you didnt restore glycogen levels.. I think carbs are important PWO if u wanta cut some carbs thats fine but i would def have carbs at breakfast and PWO and maybe cut the rest. especially if ur lifting later in the day like you said.
Well, actually, if by essential you mean that the body doesn't produce them (like when referring to the 9 essential amino acids) then that is untrue.

But yes, I agree that they are imperative when it comes to bodybuilding.
Thanks guys.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
I am low carb 5.5 days out of the week. Saturday and Sunday morning I go nuts but during the week I am under 40 grams a day. On Monday my pumps are insane but once all the glycogen is burnt up muscles don't look as good.

yeah thats my biggest reason for not being a supporter of keto diets. The first day or two pumps are fine, but then they like drop off. If i ever go keto i would have a refeed like every 3rd day at least to restore glycogen.

jcrattigan

Awards
I've never heard of this before that shows how new I am to this! It makes sense though!