Going to the Grocery Store, Critique the Shopping List

Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.1%

Going to the Grocery Store, Critique the Shopping List

My goal is to cut some body fat with the help of a proper diet, circuit training and some supplements. I'm cutting fat to get myself in better shape and my cholesterol/blood pressure under steady control before running my first injectable cycle, which will be accompanied with a lean bulk.

Here's how the list looks so far. Feel free to make any substitutions/suggestions. The sooner, the better, since I'm planning on going to the store either sometime this evening, or tomorrow afternoon;

Meat, Fish & Poultry
    Boneless/skinless chicken breasts
    Lean ground turkey, breasts
    Natural/lean deli cuts
    Eggs
    Bacon (low sodium/fat)

Dairy
    Skim milk
    Silk soy milk
    Egg whites
    Yogurt (Dannon Light & Fit, etc.)
    LF/FF cottage cheese
    LF/FF cream cheese
    Promise spread

Produce (Fresh & Frozen)
    Cashews, almonds
    Raisins
    Berries
    Avacados
    Collard greens
    Cabbage
    Artichokes
    Olives
    String beans
    Tofu
    Mushrooms
    Celery
    Sweet potatoes, yams
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Brussel sprouts
    Garlic
    Zucchini

Canned Goods
    Beans (black, kidney, lima, green & garbanzo)
    Peas
    Spinach
    Tuna (water packed)

Complex Carbs
    Steel-cut oats
    Oatmeal
    Cereal (Honey Nut Cheerios [cholesterol], Kashi, Shredded Wheat, etc.)
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread, pasta, bagels, english muffins & pita bread
    Whole oat bread
    Quinoia (sp?)
    Ezekial

Beverages
    Green tea
    Crystal Light

Condiments
    Stevia extract (sweetener)
    Flaxseeds, flaxseed oil
    Lecithin granules
    EVOO
    Hot sauce
    Natural peanut butter
    SF Smucker's jelly
    Ketchup (reduced calorie)
    Mrs. Dash spices
    Italian dressing (for marinade)

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Look into Brownberry's double protein bread. Good stuff.

For meat
    Orange Roughy and tilapia?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.78%

Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    For meat
    Orange Roughy and tilapia?
    Orange Roughy is a fish that consumers should avoid the most because it has been over fished and has been added to some countries list of endangered species.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

My .02

Kill the milk, yogart, and cottage chesse. IMO dairy should be avoided while trying to cut.

Kill the raisins, lots of sugar there.

Get rid of the cereal and breads. Pick up some couscous.

I'd also get rid of the ketchup, Italian dressing, and jelly.
  5. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkHalf View Post
    Kill the milk, yogart, and cottage chesse. IMO dairy should be avoided while trying to cut.

Kill the raisins, lots of sugar there.

Get rid of the cereal and breads. Pick up some couscous.

I'd also get rid of the ketchup, Italian dressing, and jelly.
    I don't think any of those foods have to be completely removed when cutting so long as moderation is used.

To the OP, do you use a fish oil supplement? If not some wild salmon, mackerel, kippers or other oily fish in there would be an excellent addition.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91%

Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    I don't think any of those foods have to be completely removed when cutting so long as moderation is used.

To the OP, do you use a fish oil supplement? If not some wild salmon, mackerel, kippers or other oily fish in there would be an excellent addition.
    When I diet, I diet down hard. Plus, it also depends on the diet one takes. But I felt like those items aren't necessary - especially dairy. The others can be used in moderation, but why do it when you don't need them or there are better alternatives.
  7. UKStrength

When I diet, I diet down hard. Plus, it also depends on the diet one takes. But I felt like those items aren't necessary - especially dairy. The others can be used in moderation, but why do it when you don't need them or there are better alternatives.
    I agree, but we're not all as psychologically strong as you mate I always allow myself treats, even when cutting, otherwise I may as well be whipping myself nutritionally!
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91%

I agree, but we're not all as psychologically strong as you mate I always allow myself treats, even when cutting, otherwise I may as well be whipping myself nutritionally!
    Now I never said you couldn't allow yourself a cheat once a week! I'm currently keto and my once a week cheat is usually pretty ridiculous
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.93%

Now I never said you couldn't allow yourself a cheat once a week! I'm currently keto and my once a week cheat is usually pretty ridiculous

yea me too except I eat a box of cereal and drink a gal of milk. lulz

Nice list imo.
  10. UKStrength

How ridiculous? I can probably beat you
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91%

Beat This!

How ridiculous? I can probably beat you
    Here are some excerpts on my cheats from my log on forum.animalpak.com,

"Last night's cheat meal was unbelievable. Probably the best yet. My mom sent a 6lb ham for Easter, so my roommate and I decided to have a dinner party and invited some guys from the building down for dinner; there was about 7 or 8 of us all together. We conveniently planned it to take place Sunday night at around 8:30pm. The menu consisted of ham, breakfast burritos, stove top, mashed potatoes, some frozen veggies, rolls and biscuits, and pumpkin pie and Reese's ice cream for dessert. I had two full plates of food - no open space on my plate at all, and moved on to dessert eating a ton of ice cream and a giant piece of that pumpkin pie. Not to mention have a few glasses of wine on top of all that. Needless to say, I killed it and woke up this morning feeling like a million bucks."

"Cheat meal last night was awesome. My roommate and I took some left over bisquits from the week before and made breakfast at dinner. We had protein pancakes, bacon ham and egg bisquits, some dinner rolls, pumpkin pie and ice cream for dessert. Definitely a great meal."

"The cheat was sweet potatoes, moroccan pilaf, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, 4 slices of papa johns, ice cream, 2 chocolate chip cookies, and 2 slices of pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream"
  12. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.73%

I would switch out rice milk for the soy milk. From all I've read, soy and its isoflavones (spelling?) shouldn't be part of a man's diet.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91%

Quote Originally Posted by methusaleh View Post
    I would switch out rice milk for the soy milk. From all I've read, soy and its isoflavones (spelling?) shouldn't be part of a man's diet.
    I agree and disagree. While there are many drawbacks to using soy protein, there are many benefits as well. It's okay to have some soy protein in your diet, but should not make up more than a meals worth of protein.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/he...fits-use-1.htm
  14. UKStrength

"Last night's cheat meal was unbelievable. Probably the best yet. My mom sent a 6lb ham for Easter, so my roommate and I decided to have a dinner party and invited some guys from the building down for dinner; there was about 7 or 8 of us all together. We conveniently planned it to take place Sunday night at around 8:30pm. The menu consisted of ham, breakfast burritos, stove top, mashed potatoes, some frozen veggies, rolls and biscuits, and pumpkin pie and Reese's ice cream for dessert. I had two full plates of food - no open space on my plate at all, and moved on to dessert eating a ton of ice cream and a giant piece of that pumpkin pie. Not to mention have a few glasses of wine on top of all that. Needless to say, I killed it and woke up this morning feeling like a million bucks."

"Cheat meal last night was awesome. My roommate and I took some left over bisquits from the week before and made breakfast at dinner. We had protein pancakes, bacon ham and egg bisquits, some dinner rolls, pumpkin pie and ice cream for dessert. Definitely a great meal."

"The cheat was sweet potatoes, moroccan pilaf, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, 4 slices of papa johns, ice cream, 2 chocolate chip cookies, and 2 slices of pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream"
    Ok mate, I consider myself thoroughly beaten

I agree and disagree. While there are many drawbacks to using soy protein, there are many benefits as well. It's okay to have some soy protein in your diet, but should not make up more than a meals worth of protein.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/he...fits-use-1.htm
    I agree, nothing wrong with soy in moderate quantities.
  15. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.93%

Think of that cheat meal and it continuing for 36 hours. Thats what my refeed is like. lol.
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91%

Ok mate, I consider myself thoroughly beaten
  17. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91%

Quote Originally Posted by p00ndawg View Post
    Think of that cheat meal and it continuing for 36 hours. Thats what my refeed is like. lol.
    Thinking of that makes me want to puke!
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.86%

looks good, but you are going to be spending tons and most of it is going to spoil

i'd buy a few things, cook it, see how you like it, and then go buy more later.
  19. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.93%

Thinking of that makes me want to puke!
    its painful no doubt.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.68%

I would add......ditch the soy milk.

soy beans do not have tits. It is not milk. Real milk sucks for most people when trying to stay lean anyway, so why use something that is a step down from milk in its place.

It should be called "estrogen juice" not soy milk.

Just my two cents. good luck!
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93%

Cut FF Cottage Cheese?

Im on a cut and 15g of protein per each serving is good (80 Cal per serving). I dont see the problem with it. It serves well as your last snack before bed.

Am I wrong here?
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.68%

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0wty View Post
    Cut FF Cottage Cheese?

Im on a cut and 15g of protein per each serving is good (80 Cal per serving). I dont see the problem with it. It serves well as your last snack before bed.

Am I wrong here?

It really depends. Cottage Cheese is funny.

Some people can get ripped while eating a meal or two a day containing CC while others get really smooth and loose their veins and cuts - sort of why I do not usually allow my clients to use milk. It smooths you out.

As for a last snack before bed - I still find even if I am dating myself - that you will be more ripped if you do not eat 2-3 hours before bed. But that is just me. I know we read about feeding our bodies for the "dreaded catabolic while we sleep time" but when you want to be ripped you will get their quicker by not eating before bed.

I would try it for a few weeks and ditch it if you are not seeing results. I find that when trying to cut you should only eat a few different protein sources and very little varied foods so you can tell easier what is smoothing you out and what is not. The more variety leads to more options on what can be slowing your fat loss. That is all taking into consideration that your training and cardio is on target too of course.

Good luck man!
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.18%

drop the yogurt, soy milk, bacon, deli meats, cream cheese, Crystal light, cereal, your list goes on....basically all the processed foods. 3 proteins: eggs, chicken, beef 2 carbs: oatmeal, ezekiel bread 3 fats: extra virgin olive oil, peanut butter, fish oil

Also add in fruits vegetables and thats all you need. you can save money as well
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.04%

Quote Originally Posted by maivaz View Post
    drop the yogurt, soy milk, bacon, deli meats, cream cheese, Crystal light, cereal, your list goes on....basically all the processed foods. 3 proteins: eggs, chicken, beef 2 carbs: oatmeal, ezekiel bread 3 fats: extra virgin olive oil, peanut butter, fish oil

Also add in fruits vegetables and thats all you need. you can save money as well
    This is exactly right and I was gonna post similar... I'd say keep the hot sauce tho

Here's my grocery list every week

eggs
    chicken
    steak
    rice
    potatoes
    peanut butter
    almonds
    oatmeal
    fruits
    veggies

Similar Forum Threads