I want to gain 20-30 pounds!

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36%

I want to gain 20-30 pounds!

I mainly want to know if I am just over exerting myself and maybe some examples based on what I would normally want to do.

Basically, I am looking for upper body and ab workouts for right now. I get enough leg exercise from work. I am a courtesy clerk right now, so I am always on my feet. Pushing carts, lifting heavy stuff. Just waiting to become a stocker.

Anyway, back on topic.

First of all, I haven't worked on my abs just yet. I decided tonight that I was going to start doing them. A few days ago, I tried some Russian Twists. They seemed really easy for a full ab workout. Was I doing them right? I did 100 of them and I was pretty much fine. I could feel it, but not all that much.

Now, my upper body. I normally do 10 Incline, 10 Decline, then 10 Normal Military push ups then a minute break. Also, the first 3 sets are with me using a 20 pound vest.

I do about 5 sets of these within a good 15-30 minute range. Is that to much? The last 2 sets I don't wear the vest. If I do, I can't finish.

I also weigh roughly 130 pounds and around 5'9 or 10. I don't know since I haven't weighed or measured myself in forever. I just think it is a fair assumption.

I was doing this everyday, knowingly that I wasn't going to heal within that time, but I decided to change it to every other day.

I also know all about nutrition facts. I just don't follow the guidelines lol.
    Such as a good rule of thumb is to check the fat cals. If they are 10% of the cals, it is a good thing to eat. I haven't really become hard core about it, but I do pay attention to at least my protein intake. I get maybe half of what I need daily to bulk up. Just something I need to work on.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.2%

Well if your trying to gain that much weight, you definetly need to eat alot. I do not see any actual weight lifting up there... makes me ask what kind of weight are you trying to gain?

Push ups and sit ups will build little strength and can build good endurance, but they are not really going to add any muscle mass.

Work, pushing carts, etc. usually wont build the muscle mass too much either, because your usually lifting around the same amount of weight, and its not like you are working to absolute failure.

If you want to gain that much weight hopefully you want it as muscle, and you will need to familiarize yourself with weight training. Here is a good place to start READ alot of stuff. Good luck!
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36%

Well... I have a bench, but I almost never have a spotter. I also don't see my weight gain within a 6 month period.

Ok, let's say I ate 1,800 cals a day, 6 meals, and around 120 protein grams alongside regular exercise.

How long would it take to gain that weight? Also, that includes no fat from the food.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.32%

Never, you need around 1.5g protein pr lb of bodyweight to gain muscle, also 1800 kals is no where near enough, I maintain at 3000 personally, a good place to start is times your bodyweight by 1.5 for protein, use the same amount of carbs, then half that amount of fats, so your ratios are 40/40/20 carbs, protein, fats.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36%

Ok than. say I did do what you are saying. 1.5 protein and such. Would I still gain a fair amount of weight with no free weights?
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.32%

I highly doubt it, sorry I wish I had a way you could but honesly the only way to put on any serious amount of muscle is weights in the gym (well unless your a builder/ labourer that sort of job)
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36%

Ok how about this, and also don't expect a reply for at least a good 12-18 hours.

Will this at the very least get rid of my bony chest and hips? Even just my chest.

I have definition, just not enough to get around my ribs.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29%

post a pic
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Random181 View Post
    Never, you need around 1.5g protein pr lb of bodyweight to gain muscle, also 1800 kals is no where near enough, I maintain at 3000 personally, a good place to start is times your bodyweight by 1.5 for protein, use the same amount of carbs, then half that amount of fats, so your ratios are 40/40/20 carbs, protein, fats.

We could argue all day if 1.4 grams of protein per body weight is really needed. I personally eat less than that and have results. Anyways hes difenetly right that 1800 calories is no where near enough.

If you really dont have gyn access you have to get creative lift objects find a place for pullups.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.53%

Besides the advice you've been given about nutrition, you must lift weights if you want to get bigger. You need to be doing squats, deadlifts, bench, military press, pullups and other mass gaining compound moves. Push ups and russian twists will not get you very far. You need to join a gym and do some serious research on this site. just my 2 cents.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.99%

eat, lift, eat, eat, eat, eat, sprint, eat, sleep, repeat
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.99%

dont we all want to gain 20 to 30 lbs.??!!

Best of luck to you.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by SupaLeanMan View Post
    Well... I have a bench, but I almost never have a spotter. I also don't see my weight gain within a 6 month period.

Ok, let's say I ate 1,800 cals a day, 6 meals, and around 120 protein grams alongside regular exercise.

How long would it take to gain that weight? Also, that includes no fat from the food.
    at 5'9" and 130, it will take you 1 year to gain one pound. and that's IF you don't become a stoker, because you'll be in a massive calorie deficit when you're moving that much stuff around - hello catabolism.

Gaining mass in a nutshell (a big nutshell)
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.32%

Quote Originally Posted by Pleonastic View Post
    We could argue all day if 1.4 grams of protein per body weight is really needed. I personally eat less than that and have results. Anyways hes difenetly right that 1800 calories is no where near enough.

If you really dont have gyn access you have to get creative lift objects find a place for pullups.
    We could but it really would not be much help to the op so why bother :P
  15. PES Rep
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

you're talking about adding 1/6 of your weight.... hmm.... 20-30 lbs to a 200lbs person is one thing you you weight 130lbs
    you need to take a hard look at your diet and go as high as you can on calories and protein every day!
    good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    If you are not on the PES Insider list you are not cool. Uncool people don't deserve free Alphamine.
    PES product educator, PM me with any questions!
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.68%

take a glance at my workout log that is in my signiture! I put on about 40 lbs in a few months. Of course my Supplimentation and Dieting for my body type was on par. I'm 5'7" and i started at 127lbs, currently 165lbs!
  17. Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.89%

Hard work and lots of eating for several years at least.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.73%

I mainly want to know if I am just over exerting myself and maybe some examples based on what I would normally want to do.

Basically, I am looking for upper body and ab workouts for right now. I get enough leg exercise from work. I am a courtesy clerk right now, so I am always on my feet. Pushing carts, lifting heavy stuff. Just waiting to become a stocker.

Anyway, back on topic.

First of all, I haven't worked on my abs just yet. I decided tonight that I was going to start doing them. A few days ago, I tried some Russian Twists. They seemed really easy for a full ab workout. Was I doing them right? I did 100 of them and I was pretty much fine. I could feel it, but not all that much.

Now, my upper body. I normally do 10 Incline, 10 Decline, then 10 Normal Military push ups then a minute break. Also, the first 3 sets are with me using a 20 pound vest.

I do about 5 sets of these within a good 15-30 minute range. Is that to much? The last 2 sets I don't wear the vest. If I do, I can't finish.

I also weigh roughly 130 pounds and around 5'9 or 10. I don't know since I haven't weighed or measured myself in forever. I just think it is a fair assumption.

I was doing this everyday, knowingly that I wasn't going to heal within that time, but I decided to change it to every other day.

I also know all about nutrition facts. I just don't follow the guidelines lol.
    Such as a good rule of thumb is to check the fat cals. If they are 10% of the cals, it is a good thing to eat. I haven't really become hard core about it, but I do pay attention to at least my protein intake. I get maybe half of what I need daily to bulk up. Just something I need to work on.
    Bullsh!t!
    This thread has to be a joke.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36%

Umm... No? It isn't?

If you don't like it and have nothing you can help me with, than just don't post here.

Also for everyone else. Thanks for your help and advice. There is one question that hasn't been answered yet although.

Like said, Russian Twists won't do much for mass. As far as my abs go, I just want those ripped. So, can someone explain how they work or know of a video I can watch? I want to get them to at least a 6 pack. One of my friends didn't eat hardly anything good and not near enough to gain weight, but just from the job he had for months, he got a 6 pack without working out. All he did was lift a bunch of heavy mats. So, I think some Russian Twists will get me a 6 pack regardless of what I eat.
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

it depends how much effort your willing to invest. Most people say they want a lot of things but really don't because they're not willing to do whatever it takes to get whatever they want!

I usually pass up these posts. heres some help. start counting your calories do you even know how many calories is in one carbm one protein or one gram of fat?

not working legs. wassup with that your quads will put on a lot of weight on you. work every bodypart! dude if you want to start weight bodybuild meaning build your whole body its simple

start reading all you can about diet and bodybuilding google diet, bodybuilding and dieting and read and read and read Ive been reading seven years in my spare time visiting different bodybuilding sites/forums and still have much to learn.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.64%

Umm... No? It isn't?

If you don't like it and have nothing you can help me with, than just don't post here.

Also for everyone else. Thanks for your help and advice. There is one question that hasn't been answered yet although.

Like said, Russian Twists won't do much for mass. As far as my abs go, I just want those ripped. So, can someone explain how they work or know of a video I can watch? I want to get them to at least a 6 pack. One of my friends didn't eat hardly anything good and not near enough to gain weight, but just from the job he had for months, he got a 6 pack without working out. All he did was lift a bunch of heavy mats. So, I think some Russian Twists will get me a 6 pack regardless of what I eat.
    What do you mean at least a 6 pack? Lol, you can only get a 6 pack. And doing abs won't get you ripped by themselves, especially when eating whatever you want. You are also not working out legs or even lifting weights. You know practically nothing from where im standing. Just read any article and you will already know more than you do now.

Edit: and you aren't eating any fat...wow.
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36%

Quote Originally Posted by NutriSci View Post
    What do you mean at least a 6 pack? Lol, you can only get a 6 pack. And doing abs won't get you ripped by themselves, especially when eating whatever you want. You are also not working out legs or even lifting weights. You know practically nothing from where im standing. Just read any article and you will already know more than you do now.

Edit: and you aren't eating any fat...wow.
    Actually, atm. I am just eating whatever. I haven't regimented my diet yet. I could swear I had seen someone with more than 6 lol. Maybe I mistook the lower part of the abs. I am sure you are right, I don't know much about lifting or gaining. I have read things about it, guess it just hasn't stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    it depends how much effort your willing to invest. Most people say they want a lot of things but really don't because they're not willing to do whatever it takes to get whatever they want!

I usually pass up these posts. heres some help. start counting your calories do you even know how many calories is in one carbm one protein or one gram of fat?

not working legs. wassup with that your quads will put on a lot of weight on you. work every bodypart! dude if you want to start weight bodybuild meaning build your whole body its simple

start reading all you can about diet and bodybuilding google diet, bodybuilding and dieting and read and read and read Ive been reading seven years in my spare time visiting different bodybuilding sites/forums and still have much to learn.
    I am willing to do whatever is in my power to do it. I am quite limited to what I can do atm although. I also never knew that leg training would gain the most weight. I will do some more leg training, but honestly though, I am just mainly trying to get rid of all my ribs and bones from poking out.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  258 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.51%

I mean no offense in saying this to you but have you ever watched the 24hr ghetto workout vids? or any of hannibals workout vids. You can get some size with just bodyweight if done very intensely but if your diet isn't 110% on point you wont see a damn thing, thats a guarantee!
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.73%

Umm... No? It isn't?

Why don't you read the information that is on this site? Everything you want to know is here, if you put forth some EFFORT. Check out the NUTRITION and EXERCISE forums and stop wasting everybodies time with these remedial questions.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.57%

Need a picture to help
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Matt6969 View Post
    eat, lift, eat, eat, eat, eat, sprint, eat, sleep, repeat
    That's the secret... especially someone your size. Get a gym membership (or invest in an Olympic bar and some plates), check out Mark Rippetoe's or Bill Starr's stuff (Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is probably the best resource for someone in your position) and follow their programming, then EAT A FRIGN TON! Start at whatever calories you decide and increase by 250 cals every 2 weeks you don't gain as much weight as you want... and for God's sake drink a gallon milk a day too - you need it!
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.94%

Hey bro, I'm 5'8" and 132lbs, so we're in the same boat.

My advice, eat protein every 2-3 hours, without fail. Make them lean sources. I buy like 6 tubs of cottage cheese every week to eat between meals, and for my last meal. I also take 1-2 tblspoons of natural peanut butter before bed, to help with testosterone production. I take ZMA as well.

Just make yourself eat every 3 hours with 20+ protein in it, and you should start gaining weight. My regular days are at 1870 cals or so, and I'm gaining weight. But I do have 2-3 days where I eat a fatty lunch or dinner, so my avg per day for a week is probably 2000+. Just start eating, and hit the scale ONCE A WEEK. Don't look at the scale too much or you will just freak yourself out.

I gained 10lbs since I started eating cottage cheese between meals and upping portions of some meals, that was like 2 weeks ago. So 10lbs in about 2 weeks.

If you can, work out 5 days a week. For about an hour a day. Anymore and I think you'd just be overdoing it, for the moment. There are body exercises you can do if you don't have weights...but i suggest get some weights if you can.

Then, start low! and get your form down! starting at 25lbs and swinging them around with not make your muscles grow! It will just make your joints ache, or worse. Start off with like a 5lb dumbell, explosive but controlled upward movement, slooow stretch all the way to the bottom. Do that until failure, for 2 sets. If on the second set your reps are higher than 12, bump up the weight a LITTLE. Repeat. When you get to the weight where your reps are between 8-12, use those. Then when you can't do 8-12 reps, drop down the weight until you can do 8-12 reps. This is called a drop set, I use them religiously.

It's hard work, it takes time, but don't give up. If you take to heart what I have said, you will grow. Remember, more weight does not mean a bigger you.

GOOD LUCK BROTHER!
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.68%

eat more, try to eat clean. 1g protein per body weight, ton of carbs, eat your veggies and you will grow like a horse. Unless your body naturally has really low test or HGH levels
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.2%

You guys can do it man if you buy a bar and 300lbs and a bench, thats a good start. Will run you about $300. Go at it hard and eat your ass off, you can do it man you can make it! Dont let anyone tell you you cant never give up.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.92%

Quote Originally Posted by Pleonastic View Post
    You guys can do it man if you buy a bar and 300lbs and a bench, thats a good start. Will run you about $300. Go at it hard and eat your ass off, you can do it man you can make it! Dont let anyone tell you you cant never give up.
    Well said.
    Lifting is a must. And it can be cheap. You can always find weights cheap in the classified ads.
    Or better yet. Go for a gym membership. Private or YMCA. There is always someone who will be happy to spot ya.

As far as supplements go. I would recomend whey protein. This can give you 52 grams of protein, (More with whole milk) for each drink.
    Also if you do start lifting get on a lifting schedule. And stick to it.
    Once you start hitting the weights, Creatine as a supplement can help you to bulk up a little more and give you a bit more ooommf in the gym.

Just be aware..

There was once a tale of a man who ended up gaining a lot of weight really fast. It did not work out to well for him in the long run.
    Ever see the movie "Supersize me?"

Good luck man.

JP.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.19%

Its not neccessarily that he needs weight training (dumbelss barbelss) but that if he wants to pursue bodyweight methods indefinately he will have to get creative/knowledgable... i.e. One arm pushups with 100ib weighted vest, pullups with a dip belt, handstand pushups.. plenty of stuff to get strong with..

You are right about his diet, he needs about 3500-4000 (prferably the latter) to bulk up imo..
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.19%

repost,, just a thought.. Look at Calisthenic kings
  33. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.23%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Thread is from '09. The guy was probably just "trolling".
  34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.98%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

lol he dug deep for this one tho.

FINAFLEX Product Educator
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    contact me at snagency@finaflex.com

Similar Forum Threads

1. how to gain 10 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks
    By gregmethews in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM
  2. JW....Straight up how many pounds did you gain???
    By srx600 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 07:54 AM
  3. What made me gain 3 pounds this week?
    By IntensePump in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 09:58 AM
  4. HOW DO I USE GHRP-6 TO GAIN 10 POUNDS
    By rafasarmenha in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 08:00 AM