Intermittent Fasting

What you guys think about this?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.26%

It is a very effective concept, key word concept.. with that being said, I think if you want to incorporate this into your dieting, I would definitely look into some one has vast knowledge and experience with this concept, if you need suggestions, I know of a great guy.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.82%

Quote Originally Posted by allstar View Post
    It is a very effective concept, key word concept.. with that being said, I think if you want to incorporate this into your dieting, I would definitely look into some one has vast knowledge and experience with this concept, if you need suggestions, I know of a great guy.

check your box!
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

bumping this to get some input, I have been reading about this recently.

Also, to anyone with more knowledge about this concept, would drinking a carb free BCAA drink during the fasting period be counterproductive, or would it be helpful??
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.05%
    Achievements Posting Pro

If you are going to do the fast, do not injest anything with calories. BCAA's, although incomplete, are protein fractions nonetheless. Albeit slight, they will trigger an insulin release, countering the benefits of the fast.

If you are curious about intermittent fasting, the best thing you can do is try it and see how you feel. Black box it... if you feel and perform better, then press on.

Intermittent fasting is largely dependant on the individual. Some individuals find benefit from it, with progress to show. Others fare better with continuous feedings throughout the day. My personal opinion - not for the performance minded. With fat loss as the goal, things are a little different.

In a quick summary of an experiment conducted years ago - some subjects ate everyday, others ate every other day (1 on/1 off). On the days that the fasted subjects were allowed to eat, their total caloric intake (they were allowed to eat freely) came out to roughly match that of the daily eaters. In other words, after a week, the fasting subjects were doing well with just half the calories. Big time caloric deficit. In regards to performance, you can see how this might not fare so well however. That is just IMO however.

No avenue should go untested. Try it out - you will NOT go "catabolic" and wither if you miss meals. Your body is far more resiliant then you think!
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    If you are going to do the fast, do not injest anything with calories. BCAA's, although incomplete, are protein fractions nonetheless. Albeit slight, they will trigger an insulin release, countering the benefits of the fast.

BCAAs including leucine as the primary BCAA that releases insulin response is insignifigant unless in presence of carbohydrates.
    If you are curious about intermittent fasting, the best thing you can do is try it and see how you feel. Black box it... if you feel and perform better, then press on.

Intermittent fasting is largely dependant on the individual. Some individuals find benefit from it, with progress to show. Others fare better with continuous feedings throughout the day. My personal opinion - not for the performance minded. With fat loss as the goal, things are a little different.

In a quick summary of an experiment conducted years ago - some subjects ate everyday, others ate every other day (1 on/1 off). On the days that the fasted subjects were allowed to eat, their total caloric intake (they were allowed to eat freely) came out to roughly match that of the daily eaters. In other words, after a week, the fasting subjects were doing well with just half the calories. Big time caloric deficit. In regards to performance, you can see how this might not fare so well however. That is just IMO however.

No avenue should go untested. Try it out - you will NOT go "catabolic" and wither if you miss meals. Your body is far more resiliant then you think!
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.05%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    That might be insignifigant if you're in between meals, on your normal daily routine, etc. This is a fast, where the goal is to entirely cut yourself off from all forms of calories. Even the slightest bit will off set the fast. It may be insignifigant in comparison to a meal, but its definitely a signifigant response here.

There's no magic tricks here - intermittent fasting is real simple, and its exactly as the name implies. Don't consume foods during the fast. No shortcuts, no secrets.
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

I'm just saying that there isn't an insulin spike from bcaas alone. Bcaas witrh carbs will enhance the insulin levels. Bcaas alone will not
  9. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

BCAAs, particularly Leucine, are insulinogenic. Not nearly to the extent of CHO, but they are none-the-less. It is for this reason that they are helpful in re-establishing ketosis in a CKD after a carb-up - they will trigger an insulin response and speed clearance of any remaining CHO in your serum.

As for I.F., I've been employing it for the last 6 weeks or so and thoroughly enjoying it. My performance has not suffered, I've gained vascularity and size and lost some fat. I'm eating primarily slightly over maintenance levels on lifting days, and half that on recovery days. I'm gradually reducing CHO intake, with the intent of going into a regressive keto diet late summer.
  10. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    BCAAs, particularly Leucine, are insulinogenic.
    particularly on leucine, this is news to me.

As far as intermittent fasting goes, keep in mind that if you eat day 1 normally, then on waking day 2 have say a casein + high fiber breakfast, then eat nothing all day till prebed where you have again some casein and something high fiber you've still done intermittent fasting as you've gone 18 hrs without food, yet its not nearly as horrible as going 36 hours (bedtime day 1 till morning day 3) as far as how it feels.
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

Ill ppost a study when I get home that shows they aren't when they aren't in the presence of carbs
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

yeah, I had a feeling the leucine might cause insulin release but I've read varying opinions. I'd like to cut some fat while keeping as much size/strength as possible, but at this point I am really more concerned with the fat loss, as I can get the size/strength back pretty quickly
  13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.05%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by warnerve View Post
    yeah, I had a feeling the leucine might cause insulin release but I've read varying opinions. I'd like to cut some fat while keeping as much size/strength as possible, but at this point I am really more concerned with the fat loss, as I can get the size/strength back pretty quickly
    When dealing with IF, there really isn't much that needs to be explained, fortunately. A very straight forward approach. Don't consume calories! BCAA's, although often overlooked, have calories.
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.21%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    When dealing with IF, there really isn't much that needs to be explained, fortunately. A very straight forward approach. Don't consume calories! BCAA's, although often overlooked, have calories.
    I wonder, if you would IF for sirt1 activation, I was under the understanding that you dont want to spike insulin but whey/bcaa only is ok.

If I IF I take nothing but I would not mind at all taking in BCAA's/whey if that does not hinder sirt1 activation..
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.6%

Have you guys given this a shot? Today was my first IF day. I seriously thought I would be starving all day, but I forced myself to eat about 4:30. Now I am gonna go home a strap on the feedbag

I've been looking over the info on the LeanGains blog - but I am unclear if I break the fast with my prework meal or if it really matters. I usually don't workout until about 7PM but I need to break the fast by about 4 or 5. Any thoughts from somebody who has tried it and what kind of eating split you did 16-5, 19-4 etc.
  16. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%

You want to eat your meal within 1-2 hours of lifting, so as to ensure that the nutrition you have eaten is digested and ready to be put to good use in the gym.

I've been employing a 16-8 fasting-feeding period - trying to cram in 4k kcal in 4 or 5 hours is uncomfortable considering I want to keep it clean. On recovery days I eat about 2000, and that I can consume in 5 or 6 hrs easy.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.6%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    You want to eat your meal within 1-2 hours of lifting, so as to ensure that the nutrition you have eaten is digested and ready to be put to good use in the gym.

I've been employing a 16-8 fasting-feeding period - trying to cram in 4k kcal in 4 or 5 hours is uncomfortable considering I want to keep it clean. On recovery days I eat about 2000, and that I can consume in 5 or 6 hrs easy.
    Thanks. Do you not take a pre workout meal and lift in a fasting state?
  18. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%

I eat a meal 1-2 hours prior to lifting.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.54%

Staying Hungry is a good idea. I feel that stopping my intake after my post workout meal at 6pm every day and waking to eat at 8am the next day is a good fasting period in and of itself.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Intermittent Fasting and PowerChews
    By Milas in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 12:24 AM
  2. Experiences with Intermittent Fasting
    By adnscmplx in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 01:27 AM
  3. intermittent fasting
    By Shavani in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 23