Protein powder and stomach issues

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
At the begining of the year I started taking Prolab N large, I took it for a month without trouble. I then switched to EAS from Costco, I was fine for about 2 weeks then out of the blue I started getting real bad stomach cramping from it. I took a week off from it then tried again without luck. I just bought some ON gold standard since its better quality and I'm still experiencing some minor discomfort but not as bad as the EAS. What would cause this just to start happening? I am lactose intolerent but you would think the problem would have started right away. I read on this forum that isolates are the easiest on the stomach, anyone have any suggestions on a brand? Thanks.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
At the begining of the year I started taking Prolab N large, I took it for a month without trouble. I then switched to EAS from Costco, I was fine for about 2 weeks then out of the blue I started getting real bad stomach cramping from it. I took a week off from it then tried again without luck. I just bought some ON gold standard since its better quality and I'm still experiencing some minor discomfort but not as bad as the EAS. What would cause this just to start happening? I am lactose intolerent but you would think the problem would have started right away. I read on this forum that isolates are the easiest on the stomach, anyone have any suggestions on a brand? Thanks.

The last batch of ON that I bought gave me the unpleasant ability to be able to crap through a screen door. I thought it may be me, but it wasn't, it did the same thing to my wife.

So get someone else to try your stuff and see how it affects them.

Also don't give up on whey like I nearly did. I now use All The Whey two, sometimes three times a day, and take 40+ grams of protein in at a serving with no trouble at all.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The last batch of ON that I bought gave me the unpleasant ability to be able to crap through a screen door. I thought it may be me, but it wasn't, it did the same thing to my wife.

So get someone else to try your stuff and see how it affects them.

Also don't give up on whey like I nearly did. I now use All The Whey two, sometimes three times a day, and take 40+ grams of protein in at a serving with no trouble at all.
Good info, thanks.

Not sure exactly about the delayed effect, but a 100% isolate usually solves the problem. ATW Isolate causes no issues with all the lactose intolerant people I've heard back from.
I bought the ON protein at GNC so I could return it if it bothered me. If they dont have anything decent I will get a refund and try the ATW. Thanks.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
I've had the same problem, being lactose intolerant. There are pills you can buy to help with the digestion of lactose products, or you can try an Isolate protein. I switched over to Isopure RTD's, because I can buy them in bulk, and that helped everything. Cytogainer is another one that doesn't bother me too much, either.

pfafkl13

Awards
ATW Isolate has also worked great for me as well and I'm extremely lactose intolerant.

ON gave me the shits

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I was having a lot of stomach issues, and I found ON to be the culprit. Since, I have switched my Whey to ATW. Soon I'll be trying ISS Micellar Matrix, and Dymatize Elite 12hr for my Casein.

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Artificial sweeteners have been known to cause GI problems, try a brand with natural sweeteners and see how that works.

Broodstar

Broodstar

Awards
  • Established
Artificial sweeteners have been known to cause GI problems, try a brand with natural sweeteners and see how that works.
Agreed many companies used splenda as their sweetener.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the help guys. I just exchanged my protein for some Isopure. Im drinking some now, I will report back on how it makes me feel.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
update

Just wanted to say that so far the isolate is working good. Thanks for everyones help.

krogtaar

Awards
i think people complain about 2 different problems...

1. lactose intolerance. use a quality isolate instead=prob solved
2. not being able to digest the protein...not enough stomach acid to break it down so it passes through. you can take something with high protein meals to acidify your stomach...betaine HCL is a cheap pill sup, or take a swig of organic apple cider vinegar(can be found in big gorcery stores). these should supposedly also help you absorb minerals better

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I was looking into carrying ATW with Stevia, but they stopped getting back to me. I'll get back on the hunt .
Stevia came in my egg protein as well. Its supposed to be good stuff.
A guy at the Supp store just told (and I don't buy into everything they say but sounded like good advice) me that its best to not use any sugar liquids with your protein. Sugar breaks down fast but protein doesn't so it'll stick around longer and could cause problems.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stevia came in my egg protein as well. Its supposed to be good stuff.
A guy at the Supp store just told (and I don't buy into everything they say but sounded like good advice) me that its best to not use any sugar liquids with your protein. Sugar breaks down fast but protein doesn't so it'll stick around longer and could cause problems.
Whey protein breaks down/digests quite quickly actually. Carbs + Pro as a postWO shake works well for alot of people. Not sure what he meant exactly by "Sugar liquids"

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I had the best luck stomach and results-wise from beverly international. expensive tho.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just switched to ATW isolate and its giving me some minor stomach issues. I was using isopure w/o any trouble. I'm bummed because ATW is such a great value.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I just switched to ATW isolate and its giving me some minor stomach issues. I was using isopure w/o any trouble. I'm bummed because ATW is such a great value.
That's a bummer. I switched to the Whey Blend, and haven't had any issues.

ON destroyed me, and I took it fpr so long. Its so nice to have some relief.

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
He was most likely referring to "sugar alcohols" which I believe are derivatives of real sugar that have been chemically altered so that they don't affect blood sugar in the way that real sugar would. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia: Splenda usually contains 95% dextrose and maltodextrin which the body readily metabolizes, combined with a small amount of indigestible sucralose. Sucralose is derived from table sugar (sucrose) through a patented, multi-step process that selectively substitutes three chlorine atoms for three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule. The tightly bound chlorine atoms create a molecular structure that is remarkably stable.[9] Now based on my limited knowledge of organic chemistry and biology I can try it explain why Splenda (sucralose) is hard on your stomach. Because the chlorine is a much more electronegative it creates a much stronger bond with the carbon skeleton of the sugar molecule. Based on the fact that this is unable to be digested in the human body, i would assume that this is where the GI issues arise. Hope this helps!

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Look into Universal Ultra whey pro not only is it great tasting and good mixability it doesnt upset my stomach at all. I had a similiar problem with protein with a couples brands from gnc (lol) but i either use ATW or Universal.

RipdnTxs2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have used multiple brands of protein powder, and all upset or made me use the bathroom SOON after, even after adding things like bananas and peanut butter. I used to think I would loose muscle if I did not start each day with a protein shake and immediately after a workout. I now use no protein powder, for about 4 years now and have noticed no difference in body composition, my stomach has been happier ever since. So for myself the powder was not worth using, just eat more real healthy food.....

iamliving

Awards
I choose the most pure things and have never had trouble with them. For protein i do Pure Protein Complete.Its high in bioactive whey protein, low in carbs, fat, and calories, and each serving of Pure Protein Complete provides 20 grams of a proprietary whey protein blend supported by a specialized enzyme blend, a low-glycemic carbohydrate matrix, and generous amounts of complementary vitamins and minerals. It mixes in liquids easily and tastes good. Here's the rundown:

Calories: 162 per serving
Total Fat: 2.85 g per serving
Sodium: 65.5 mg per serving
Potassium: 242.3 mg per serving
Protein: 20.09 g per serving
Total Carbohydrate: 16.68 g per serving
Total Fiber: 5.04 g per serving
Sugars: 3.77 g per serving
About 15 servings per container

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Stevia vs. LoHan Kuo

I was looking into carrying ATW with Stevia, but they stopped getting back to me. I'll get back on the hunt .
Stevia is good stuff, I use it a lot when cutting. There is another sweetener that is used in the Protein I am currently using listed as LoHanKuo on the jug but it seems it has many slightly different spellings. A quick google search turned up the info below. The chocolate flavored protein I'm using now is the best tasting stuff I've ever tried (other than Muscle Milk) plus it only has 5 grams of sugar per 50 grams of protein.

LUO HAN GUO

Sweet Fruit Used as Sugar Substitute and Medicinal Herb

by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., Director, Institute for Traditional Medicine, Portland, Oregon

Luo Han Guo (luohanguo) refers to the fruit of Siraitia grosvenori, formerly called Momordica grosvenori, a member of the Curcubitaceae (1). The fruit is well-known for its sweet taste; this plant family (Gourd family) has other members that contain remarkable sweet components, including additional species of the genus Siraitia (e.g., S. siamensis, S. silomaradjae, S. sikkimensis, S. africana, S. borneensis, and S. taiwaniana 2) and the popular herb jiaogulan (Gynostemma pentaphyllum). The latter herb, which has both sweet and bitter tasting triterpene glycosides in its leaves, is now sold worldwide as a tea and made into an extract for use in numerous health-care products (3). Luohanguo has been used as a medicinal herb for treating cough and sore throat (4) and is popularly considered, in southern China, to be a longevity aid (5). These are the same uses as listed for jiaogulan. Luohanguo has more recently been developed into a non-caloric sweetener to compete with other herbal sweeteners such stevioside from the unrelated Stevia leaf. (6).

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
As a side note, has anyone tried Beef protein isolate and if so any GI problems?

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
Agreed. I have a problem with protein powders that are artificially sweetened. They become very acidic. This causes digestion issues (whether immediately noticeable-upset stomach) or not. Aside from the sweeteners, the preservatives and other acids/chemicals/flavorings should be avoided. Check out Isopure Unflavored whey isolate. Add stevia/cinnamon and/or a tbsp of cocoa powder. The additions of the stevia/cinnamon will balance the acidity of the protein while adding some ORAC capacity and other health benefits. If any of my clients are against the idea of unflavored whey, then I usually encourage they stick to whole foods or simply drink pasteurized egg whites. There are a few good brands out there with naturally sweetened/flavored protein powders, however you will pay $$ for this. I have found it more cost effective to do the aforementioned.

-Alex

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EpiStrong Supplements 30
LJ57 Supplements 23
LJ57 Supplements 1
akboom87 Supplements 34
Supplements 7