Protein Intake

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%

Protein Intake

I am very very confused on something. Is it true that 1 g of protein to 1 lb of weight? I am confused because that would mean a ton of protein for me. Also to clarify people gave me mathmatical equations to find out how much protein to take. Another thing to consider is the protein intake is that 1g to 1lb of lean muscle mass?

2. The Myth

1.5/lb lbm
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
    1.5/lb lbm
    Whats up MYTH? Good to see you over here.. Look forward to seeing some of your legendary refeeds posted..
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.66%

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion83 View Post
    I am very very confused on something. Is it true that 1 g of protein to 1 lb of weight? I am confused because that would mean a ton of protein for me. Also to clarify people gave me mathmatical equations to find out how much protein to take. Another thing to consider is the protein intake is that 1g to 1lb of lean muscle mass?
    Even more than that. I'm 185 and I routinely get in 250-320 daily.
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.7%

It depends. I'd say start at 1g, when your gains stall increase carbs and fats but not protein. If that doesn't work, increase protein to 1.5g. When you stall again, increase carbs and fats and so on. Do not increase protein until after determining that an increase of 1000kcal per day do not do the trick.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%

Okay I will do a 250g to start im at 290ish. I am doing recomp so I am eatting 6 meals. Beakfast lunch dinner all solid comples carbs with protein the rest of the three are going to be post shakes and just on the go stuff.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%

but 250 is not a bad start.I just dont wanna consume too much to just xplode it out u know lol.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  258 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.3%

but 250 is not a bad start.I just dont wanna consume too much to just xplode it out u know lol.
    Its a pain in the ass no doubt. But just one of the staples of having a good amount of mass, and it being as solid as possible. What i've gotten into the habit of doing is tossing a 25-30g protein shake in with each meal. (6 a day) Thats not a huge shake, and at that rate there is 150-180. If your post workout is of decent size (around 50g protein), and your meals are all fairly balanced in their nutrients, as i remember you saying they were in another thread you should be just fine man!

I feel you on getting sick of not only the taste, but additionally the cost of protein though. And as was stated earlier dont neglect the carbs and fats!
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  258 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.3%

And i realize i'm going to get trashed for recommending that so much of your protein comes from shakes, but it's just a suggestion if you're struggling...
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.06%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

1 gram minimum

1.5 other times

depends on training.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.78%

90% of days I do NOT get 1g of preotein per 1lbs of body weight. And I still see gains. I am only 185lbs though and not ever trying to be over 200lbs, so maybe for us smaller guys its not necessary to get 1 to 1. But if your trying to add like 50+ pounds of mass then yea go for it.
  12. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

While >1g isn't explicitly required for muscle growth, I believe it may be optimal. For the bigger guys, 6 meals w/ 40g PRO /meal is 240g right there. With a little bit of planning it is very realistic.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  219.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.31%

If you listen to what Milos Sarcev has to say about macronutrient consumption, you would have to believe that not only is 1g protein/1lb of bodyweight ideal for sustaining normal function, BUT for a bodybuilder (depending on your bodytype and activity level) 1.5-2g protein/1lb bodyweight should be consumed. The reason I tend to agree with 1g/1lb of bw vs. 1g/1lb lean mass is because your body requires amino acids from protein to repair lean muscle tissue and maintain other body systems such as the skin, hair, nails, and organs. 1 lb of lean tissue takes 67 kcal daily to maintain, it takes an excess of that amount to build muscle tissue. If only 1g/1lb lean mass is taken in daily, I believe you run the risk of your body still cannabolizing its own muscle tissue for the amino acids necessary to build/rebuild lean tissue and sustain the other previously mentioned body systems. Trial and error is often the best method for deciding for yourself what your protein requirements are. Start with 1g/1lb of bw and re-access after a few weeks. If your honest with yourself and listen to your body, you won't go wrong.

BEAST
  14. JDK5386

I've seen plenty of gains on 250-275 per day on a lean mass of roughly 240-250 and a current weight of about 315. I've seen some weight loss and solid gains in mass. Then again, I'm very endomorphic so you may need more.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.85%

OK I've done the protein shake routine, they have lots of protein but the carb content really throws things out of wack, especially when on a cutting phase, and it's hard to get enough protein out of just natural foods, I feel like a pig all day, what do you season veterans think, how do you get protein but minus the carbs, any Ideas
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.78%

Quote Originally Posted by 3708grunt View Post
    OK I've done the protein shake routine, they have lots of protein but the carb content really throws things out of wack, especially when on a cutting phase, and it's hard to get enough protein out of just natural foods, I feel like a pig all day, what do you season veterans think, how do you get protein but minus the carbs, any Ideas
    There's plenty of shakes with very high protien and very low carbs.

Zero Carb IsoPure comes to mind.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.66%

Whey Protein Isolate by ATW, as well ^

Tastes fine with water.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.57%

I'm 155lbs and my usual for bulking is around 180grams of Protein daily.
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.06%

Quote Originally Posted by mankussm View Post
    I'm 155lbs and my usual for bulking is around 180grams of Protein daily.
    Thats fine. I take in more when Im losing bodyfat usually i think.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 12:31 PM
  2. protein intake
    By Montesano813 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM
  3. Protein Intake
    By MrBrightside in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 04:36 PM
  4. Protein intake