Suggested fruit while on diet?

Torta996

Awards
What fruits to eat while on a low carb diet? My intake is 2700/day, any suggestions?

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
fruit? I'd go with vegetables. Raw Carrots, Celery, Peppers.

stefang

Awards
If you want fruit, then go for the dark fruit such as blue berries...Since you are on a low carb diet, you might want to avoid eating a lot of fructose. It gets stored in the liver and has a more negative effect on the insulin/glucagon ratio

Torta996

Awards
Thanks! I was just going to snack on fruit to crave the sweets!!!! Very small amounts!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you want fruit, then go for the dark fruit such as blue berries...Since you are on a low carb diet, you might want to avoid eating a lot of fructose. It gets stored in the liver and has a more negative effect on the insulin/glucagon ratio
Thanks! I was just going to snack on fruit to crave the sweets!!!! Very small amounts!
yeah blueberries are great - high in anti-oxidants too. Carrots have sucrose as opposed to fructose - and you have to eat a tonne of them to effect your low-carb diet in a major way.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fruits are tricky in a low carb diet, but blueberries take the cake because they are sweet and have so many healthy benefits. Other than that you kinda stuck with veggies and maybe some Crystal Light in water to ward off cravings. Works well for me.

lector606

lector606

Awards
I don't think you need to worry too much about having some fruit in your daily diet unless you are really going nuts. I eat peaches, strawberries, bananas, apples, grapes, pineapple etc all the time and I am doing okay :)

If you are really concerned just check out a website with a list of nutritional information of foods (google, easy to find) and pick less calorie dense fruits. Berries tend to be low-cal generally speaking, and most have lots of fibre and antioxidants which provide additional benefits.

williamkb

Awards
Fruits are tricky in a low carb diet, but blueberries take the cake because they are sweet and have so many healthy benefits. Other than that you kinda stuck with veggies and maybe some Crystal Light in water to ward off cravings. Works well for me.
Crystal Light FTW

williamkb

Awards
I don't think you need to worry too much about having some fruit in your daily diet unless you are really going nuts. I eat peaches, strawberries, bananas, apples, grapes, pineapple etc all the time and I am doing okay :)

If you are really concerned just check out a website with a list of nutritional information of foods (google, easy to find) and pick less calorie dense fruits. Berries tend to be low-cal generally speaking, and most have lots of fibre and antioxidants which provide additional benefits.
I eat fruit everyday and I've lost close to 100lbs since I started attempting weightloss. They haven't stopped me lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
a particularly neat trick is freezing the blueberries or grapes. tends to make you eat them slower, and it changes the taste some of blueberries in a nice way.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
a particularly neat trick is freezing the blueberries or grapes. tends to make you eat them slower, and it changes the taste some of blueberries in a nice way.
good call - all my berries are frozen - it's cheaper that way and go awesome in shakes :bandit:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bananas

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Why worry about the sugar intake dealing with fruits? Why not just eat some greens...spinach, broccoli, asparagus, romaine lettuce...very full of vitamins and minerals, and don't have to worry about calories....

Not saying don't consume fruits, but if one was on a low carb diet....why not just eat a bunch of greens? Curious.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Why worry about the sugar intake dealing with fruits? Why not just eat some greens...spinach, broccoli, asparagus, romaine lettuce...very full of vitamins and minerals, and don't have to worry about calories....

Not saying don't consume fruits, but if one was on a low carb diet....why not just eat a bunch of greens? Curious.
exactly. . . :bandit:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, but a cup of pineapple has only 22g of carbs or a cup of blueberries 19g. thats a good bit of pineapple. so yeah, though fruits have carbs, incorporating some small amount isn't bad for extra taste.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
fruit? I'd go with vegetables. Raw Carrots, Celery, Peppers.
Am I going to have to school you in your basic foodgroups :scared:

Berries are great; Grapefruits are also a good choice because their very low GI & GL. The only other fruit I eat are apples, simply because I love them.

Don't forget the wonderful kidney beans, and soak them in baking soda to eliminate the gas issues :)

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
also it should be mentioned that most of the sugar from fruit is fructose which doesn't effect insulin levels and fills up liver glycogen. So its not in the same category as just plain glucose.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Yuh.. I'm a big fan of fruit..

Apples (sometimes 4 a day for me :)), blackberries (ridiculously calorie-sparse.. and nutrient dennnnnse, and Delicious!).

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
When I want to cut up I INCREASE the amount of fruit and veggies I eat, for 2 reasons. 1. It helps keep my raging hunger under control. 2. It makes me feel great. F & V are something I eat as much as I want of whenever I want.:rambo:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not to mention, if you are snacking on fruit or adding it to a meal it could very well help curve any desire to eat or binge on the real not so good carbs.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not to mention, if you are snacking on fruit or adding it to a meal it could very well help curve any desire to eat or binge on the real not so good carbs.
from one of my standard posts in the weight loss area...

which is better to eat?

so just eating the one thing of raspberries with topping is around 55 cals, so even if all sugar its still only 14g

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bingo

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I've had 4 apples today..

hahahahaha