Multivitamins. Worth it?

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I advocate the use of a multivitamin. I notice I feel better when I'm taking vitamin supplements as opposed to not. I haven't been sick for almost 10 years, aside from runny nose every once in a while; I think a big reason why is because i usually eat fairly healthy, I exercise and I take vitamin supplementation.

There are so many different nutrition studies out there and to just hear one more opinion from one expert isn't enough to keep me away from vitamin supplements. He doesn't cite any research, so it's basically just his word on paper.

briancogs888

Awards
The American Medical Association now recommends the use of a daily multivitamin. I would be careful as to which company's multi I take, since almost all are not certified organic and may contain concentrated levels of contamenants.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
The American Medical Association now recommends the use of a daily multivitamin. I would be careful as to which company's multi I take, since almost all are not certified organic and may contain concentrated levels of contamenants.
so what brand do you use?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
All I can say is that I don't need any studies to know I love Orange Triad hehe.

I used to have real bad gastritis, take omeoprazol everyday to mildly help it. Also had very sore neck, always in pain and would bother me a lot. I started taking Orange Triad's recommended dose and my stomach has been great lately and I no longer feel any neck pain.

stefang

Awards
Unless your diet is perfect you absolutely need a multivitamin + multimineral. Especially when you exercise. Also keep in mind the RDA for most vitamins is for couch potatoes.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Unless your diet is perfect you absolutely need a multivitamin + multimineral. Especially when you exercise. Also keep in mind the RDA for most vitamins is for couch potatoes.
This is true. I think it's based on an average, and I'm pretty sure that average is a 152lbs male.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Take the multi. I skipped on using one for close to a year then started back on them and felt an immediate difference in energy and overall sense of well being. Plus my pee was bright yellow again:D

WannabeBatman

WannabeBatman

Awards
Multivitamins are must especially if your working out/training for sports on a consistent basis. Right now I am bulking and take some supplements and working out 6 days a week, so I need a thorough multivitamin, I am taking Universal Animal PAK multivitamin and love it, gives my all kinds of energy and I've found it increases my endurance while training.

Best,
TWB

kkschaef

kkschaef

Awards
A mutivitamin is the base of any program. Most people do not get the nutrients they need in their diet. I don't miss a day taking my multi. I eat healthy but I know I don't get all the nutrients I need everyday in my diet.

danielwfoster

Awards
See, that's the thing. I didn't know Jack about multi's so I just took One-A-Day Men's formula for years! I had presumed it was "better than nothing". I have heard nothing but raves about Orange Triad (with the exception of ppl complaining about price). IMO any multi is "pricey".

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Organic is good or even better Kosher. Both are good good options.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5ft9-10 and 180 was the average ht and wt of an average male in the USA,in 2008. unless its changed I dont know...and the average male had a little belly(not bad still there though)

Multis are for sure worth it IMHO.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Make sure it is clinically tested. I get lots of patients taking vitamins in my office and when blood work comes back nothing elevates or very little gets elevated. I.e centrium, costco, GNC, whole foods, vitamin shop.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't have a multi vitamin as my avatar if I didn't advocate it's use 110%. ONe of the most important things IMO

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i like how OT lasts 45 days and not the normal 30 :)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
i like how OT lasts 45 days and not the normal 30 :)
Me too! The overlap is essential if I am tight on cash and cannot order on time each month, I still get my vitamins and joint support...

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't have a multi vitamin as my avatar if I didn't advocate it's use 110%. ONe of the most important things IMO
Man, I still can't wait to buy OT...Also, I told my Da' about it, so hopefully he'll grab some for himself. He's kind of cheap when it comes to health supps though; he doesn't understand that there is a difference in quality from one company to another. He usually goes with Wal-mart brand multi-vits.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man, I still can't wait to buy OT...Also, I told my Da' about it, so hopefully he'll grab some for himself. He's kind of cheap when it comes to health supps though; he doesn't understand that there is a difference in quality from one company to another. He usually goes with Wal-mart brand multi-vits.
Little tip: Hold out a bit longer and we should be shipping out the updated formula :) I'll let you guys know when the new OT is shipping, still going through old stock I believe.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Little tip: Hold out a bit longer and we should be shipping out the updated formula :) I'll let you guys know when the new OT is shipping, still going through old stock I believe.
x2 ... keep us updated!

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Average in America is 190lbs male, unless you are talking LBM
Well you have to remember that the RDAs on the back of nutrition labels were created quite a while back. Also, most people on these forums are in a certain bodybuilding mindset. The people who designed the RDAs weren't thinking about bodybuilding. Who knows what research they were going off of. At some point some guy was like, yeah, this looks good, do it. And that's how we got the RDA.. lol

In as simple terms as I can put it, bodybuilders have more going on at a physiological basis than the regular dude does. Vitamins and minerals act as catalysts for reactions that take place inside the body. Bodybuilders have more going on, therefore, we need more vitamins and minerals. I'm not saying we need a lot more. Just guessing, I'd say around 150% of the RDA for most things would be a better bet than just going by what the RDA is. Anyone want to discuss?

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
In as simple terms as I can put it, bodybuilders have more going on at a physiological basis than the regular dude does. Vitamins and minerals act as catalysts for reactions that take place inside the body. Bodybuilders have more going on, therefore, we need more vitamins and minerals. I'm not saying we need a lot more. Just guessing, I'd say around 150% of the RDA for most things would be a better bet than just going by what the RDA is. Anyone want to discuss?
I'd love to discuss.

For the most part yeah... I definitely agree with that. I really wouldn't muck around with the low dose RDI trace minerals that much but other than that, unless you are taking beyond tolerable UL levels I'd say its pretty much standard than anyone who leads a physically demanding lifestyle should be supplementing with a multi.

The RDI/RDA's were designed in mind to, if met, counteract diseases that would come with nutrient deficiency. So basically its the dose that will keep you from developing deficiency diseases and will treat deficiency diseases if you have them.

The fact that some of these ADA nutritionists and dieticians are still saying you don't need a multi if you have a well constructed diets irks me. Point in fact the quality of most american food sucks and no amount of diet planning is going to increase the declining nutrient quality of our food... Honestly, someday i'm going to bring that whole organization crashing down and piss on its grave. Once I get enough posts so I can post links then everyone can be treated to an ADA rant. Sorry to get heated its just the ignorance of that organization and the stupidity it breeds astounds me.

briancogs888

Awards
You are correct sir, except for the fact that many nutritionist and dieticians don't recommend a multi, many do. The AMA no states that everyone should take a multivitamin daily. But yes, you are absolutely right about the RDAs, they are set to prevent deficiency, not actually provide the level of those substances that the average healthy person should consume to enhance his/her health, and thats the average healthy person, not bodybuilders.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Did any one read my post about OT. Your saying some are cheep and some are quality look at my post than get back to me.

purebred

Well you have to remember that the RDAs on the back of nutrition labels were created quite a while back. Also, most people on these forums are in a certain bodybuilding mindset. The people who designed the RDAs weren't thinking about bodybuilding. Who knows what research they were going off of. At some point some guy was like, yeah, this looks good, do it. And that's how we got the RDA.. lol

and this is why: ODIs > RDAs
Did any one read my post about OT. Your saying some are cheep and some are quality look at my post than get back to me.
are you saying controlled labs OT was a cheap product?

MurdahUDawg

MurdahUDawg

Awards
whats the general consensus on ON Opti-Men as a multi?
I hear about AP a lot, but this is the first I've heard of OT.

And I was just about to order a MV from NP .....

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
and this is why: ODIs > RDAs

are you saying controlled labs OT was a cheap product?
Yes it would be one of the cheeper products on the market if you read my post in the link i sent you, you would understand why once you look at there raw materials.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
So I read your post DJ and don't see how pointing out that the old formula had an inferior form of Vit D makes the entire product a "cheap product"...unless by "cheap" you mean price and not quality...

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So I read your post DJ and don't see how pointing out that the old formula had an inferior form of Vit D makes the entire product a "cheap product"...unless by "cheap" you mean price and not quality...
If there vitamin D was D2 and D2 has been proven to not work what other ingredients did they put in there that does not work? It makes me wonder.

purebred

you're another confusing poster..you never sent this link to me directly. you simply posted it. anyway..
this dj fella is very vague it seems...likes to beat around the bush a lot.

say what's on your mind the first time around so we don't have to play the guessing game or harass it out of you, boy!:suspect:

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
You're posts are rediculously vague...You point to that other thread as if all of the answers are there but all you really did was compliment them on switching to D3 and post a study....I've read a quite a few of your threads and you seem unable to post any of your own thoughts...all you ever do is regurgitate other people's writing.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I post studies, so yes its not my words but a published study. If you have a problem with published studies complain to the medical community for doing the studies. So you acknowledge there old formula was not good then?

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
The only thing I acknowledge is your lack of basic communication skills.

lector606

lector606

Awards
updating a product to meet higher standards at no extra cost to the consumer = a good thing, just in case some of us missed it.. *cough*

great changes

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
"All the same, the results of the studies on vitamins so far point to one conclusion: Healthy people who eat enough calories from a varied diet do not benefit from multivitamin supplements."

lol that is who in America? Or in this world for that matter? Its like yeah, obviously someone who gets all the nutrients they require from what they are eating, doesn't need a multi! A great study devoted to stating the obvious. A multi isn't going to save anyone from a heart attack or stroke, who eats unhealthy the rest of the time either and with the diets of the average American/Canadian, Its like pissing on a housefire. Combined with a healthy diet and exercise regimen, I believe a multi fills in the gaps nicely though, for overall health.

mrSlate

Awards
Ok so if there are any is there a quality liquid multi? I just get tired of gagging down horse pills all the time.

BignBad

Awards
Are Centrum Multi-Vitamins any good?
The problem with a lot of multivitamins is twofold (from what I have heard): 1) they are ultracompacted and thus never fully are digested and 2) they have fillers such as Ca that lead to poor absorption.

This could have been the issue with the above study btw...

BignBad

Awards
And, btw, that's not the only study that has found no benefit from multivitamins. Researchers know that low levels of many vitamins causes health issues but the studies (generally speaking) just haven't shown any benefit.

cmc

cmc

Awards
My buddy hooked me up with a box of Lifepak Nano vitamins.....good stuff but who wants to pay $140 for a month's supply...geesh.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
The problem with a lot of multivitamins is twofold (from what I have heard): 1) they are ultracompacted and thus never fully are digested and 2) they have fillers such as Ca that lead to poor absorption.

This could have been the issue with the above study btw...
I havn't researched the second part of your post, as for the first, I was told this by a wannabe new age health guru...I went home put 3 different multis in 3 different glasses of water (Mine and my two roomates at the time lol).I went out for dinner and came back roughly 2-2.5 hours later. They were piles of mush in a glass. He said actually, that they NEVER dissolved in our stomachs. I showed him the glasses and asked if he knew how strong the acid in our stomachs is? He never mentioned it again.:burnout:
When in doubt, never trust hippies.:laugh:

frederickson

Awards
a good multivitamin is an essential, even when consuming a great diet. unless you are eating a boatload of local/homegrown organic veggies, grassfed beef, etc., modern agricultural practices have greatly reduced the amount of nutrients in our food.

only problem with multis is that most of them SUCK. probably the best (i.e. contains the nutrients it says it does, uses bioavailable forms of said vitamins) multi that is widely available would be source naturals "life force".

i would sign up for the following guide, very solid research. scientific ratings of over 500 multivitamins.

multivitaminguide.org