BURGERS/ground meat

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    flex13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    162

    BURGERS/ground meat


    Hey fellas usually I just grab a ball of frozen meat from the freezer toss it on the pan and chop it up then eat. I was wondering if it is much worse to just make a hamburger patty toss it on the grill and just add one slice of chesse and no bun then it. I mean it cant be adding anymore calories beside the cheese correct? The only reason I ask this is because I have been on a strict routine with what I eat but over the weekend I was at my sisters and she had a left over hamburger in the fridge and I was starving so i just took it out and eat it and it was actually real good. let me know fellas....the beef i always use is just regular ground meat from the butcher!

  2. Registered User
    Gstyle24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cali
    Age
    29
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    127

    its fine to eat it by itself but why wouldn't u wanna eat it with a bun? u cutting out carbs? why would u be cutting out carbs? i always get the wheat hamburger buns, works out for a great meal.. protein in the meat, some good carbs and fiber in the bun, and some romaine lettuce

    and the cheese i get 2% milk, its got half the fat, tastes fine
  3. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    719849

    Man, your fine. One slice of cheese in't nothing.

    Grilling on an open flame is also better than frying. Bad juices run out and escape is why. As, long as every meal isn't BBQ'd (the charred part can/is carcinogenic).

    All in all, your fine. Especially if you are not counting every single macro and are try to be in competition status. They are on a bit of a diff level.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    719849

    Quote Originally Posted by Gstyle24 View Post
    its fine to eat it by itself but why wouldn't u wanna eat it with a bun? u cutting out carbs? why would u be cutting out carbs? i always get the wheat hamburger buns, works out for a great meal.. protein in the meat, some good carbs and fiber in the bun, and some romaine lettuce

    and the cheese i get 2% milk, its got half the fat, tastes fine
    True, I believe that 2% or 1% is better/more nutition than fat free milk.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  5. Banned
    dynomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lewisville, Tx
    Posts
    742
    Rep Power
    0

    Just eat the freaking burger man. Dont be a puzzyface and enjoy life.
  6. Registered User
    flex13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    162

    Quote Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
    Just eat the freaking burger man. Dont be a puzzyface and enjoy life.
    Lol thanks fellas. I am currently cutting and havent had a burger in a while. Probably gonna add 1-2 burgers a week into my diet just to switch it up getting tired of eating the same things every week. Also taking ap so the wheat buns is a good idea
  7. Registered User
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33852

    If you have a Foreman GRill its even better. I usually just buy those griller packs with 32 1/4lb burguers and cook them in the grill. Their nutritional values are HORRIBLE but after I run them in the grill and dry them up with a paper towel most of the fat is out.

    I mean, with 2 of those burguers on a small G.F. Grill I fill up the entire "dump tray" with fat. And I mean, fill it up. So I'm pretty confident there's very little left in the burguer itself and I end up just eating some nice lean protein with, as stated above, wheat bread and some cheese.
  8. Registered User
    HooRah66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    97

    I just go for lean burgers and george foreman them.
  9. Registered User
    Gstyle24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cali
    Age
    29
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    127

    ya another thing, whats the fat % of the burger u get? 80/20? thats the most common one... but i never eat that stuff, i always get the 93/7, its a little bit more expensive, but it has way less fat, and it tastes fine.. its worth the extra couple bucks if u ask me... actually what i've been eating lately is bison meat.. thats good stuff but expensive as ****
  10. Registered User
    flex13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    162

    Quote Originally Posted by Gstyle24 View Post
    ya another thing, whats the fat % of the burger u get? 80/20? thats the most common one... but i never eat that stuff, i always get the 93/7, its a little bit more expensive, but it has way less fat, and it tastes fine.. its worth the extra couple bucks if u ask me... actually what i've been eating lately is bison meat.. thats good stuff but expensive as ****
    Not sure what the fat % is...It is prob 80/20 if thats the most common because my mom buys it for me. But i am gonna tell her next time she goes to get the leaner beef.

    So all in all a burger or 2 a week is gonna fit into my diet just fine is basically what I am getting at?
  11. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    719849

    Quote Originally Posted by flex13 View Post
    Lol thanks fellas. I am currently cutting and havent had a burger in a while. Probably gonna add 1-2 burgers a week into my diet just to switch it up getting tired of eating the same things every week. Also taking ap so the wheat buns is a good idea
    Or wrap the burger in a lettuce leaf instead of buns. Less carbs.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  12. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41243

    You should bulk cook your own burgers. I did almost 10lbs this summer and they lasted me ages. Then you can make your own healthy burger. I put it in a piece of sprouted grain bread, with a slice of FF Processed cheese ontop. Tastes amazing! Add to the beef some spices, pepper, and egg or two, + some breadcrumbs. Turns out like this:

  13. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    719849

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    You should bulk cook your own burgers. I did almost 10lbs this summer and they lasted me ages. Then you can make your own healthy burger. I put it in a piece of sprouted grain bread, with a slice of FF Processed cheese ontop. Tastes amazing! Add to the beef some spices, pepper, and egg or two, + some breadcrumbs. Turns out like this:

    I would eat the sh8t out of that
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  14. Registered User
    flex13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    162

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    You should bulk cook your own burgers. I did almost 10lbs this summer and they lasted me ages. Then you can make your own healthy burger. I put it in a piece of sprouted grain bread, with a slice of FF Processed cheese ontop. Tastes amazing! Add to the beef some spices, pepper, and egg or two, + some breadcrumbs. Turns out like this:

    Damn that looks pretty good bro!!! Ya I do make my own burgers I dont think those pre made patties are that good for ya especially while on a diet. I was just worrying about ruining my diet but if u keep it healthy i think it can actually be a pretty nutritious meal.
  15. Registered User
    flex13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    162

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Or wrap the burger in a lettuce leaf instead of buns. Less carbs.
    Ya i would do that but wouldnt be as tasty
  16. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41243

    Quote Originally Posted by flex13 View Post
    Ya i would do that but wouldnt be as tasty
    I went no bun for a bit; added some extra cheese, condiments and toppings and all I could think about was the extra ketchup dripping off and how great it tasted, and never really focused on having no bun
  17. Registered User
    Orangepeel's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,760
    Rep Power
    958

    I eat around 12 Burgers a week half beef, half turkey.

    When I eat them Post WO I eat them on Ezekial Hamburger buns.
  18. Registered User
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1795

    i agree....i think 93/7 and 96/4 is the easiest way to get your protein intake for the day. Just slap a few patties together and grill them......very lean,,,,high protein, low fat and very easy to make and also very easy to fashion it like u like (spices, mustard, soy sauce, ff cheese.....blue cheese....etc....etc.)
  19. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41243

    Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    i agree....i think 93/7 and 96/4 is the easiest way to get your protein intake for the day. Just slap a few patties together and grill them......very lean,,,,high protein, low fat and very easy to make and also very easy to fashion it like u like (spices, mustard, soy sauce, ff cheese.....blue cheese....etc....etc.)
    How much does that cost you Americans? I can get 90/10 for $3/lb on sale this week. Usually about 3.50-4/lb. We don't sell beef that lean up here. I was at Walmart last weekend, but that particular one didn't have fresh food
  20. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Rep Power
    768811

    i still like buying the 73/27, pan frying it as crumbles then rinsing with boiling water after draining the fat. you end up with leaner than 96/4, but at less than half the price. Can get the 73/27 for under $2 a lb, the 96/4 is usually around $4.50-$5/lb
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  21. Registered User
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1795

    Easy, how truly effective do you think that is? Ive heard of that method, but never really believed it turned from 73/27 to 96/4 (although I wish it did because i would save some $$$)

    On the other hand, if you are making burgers, that would be the only time u would opt for the 93/7 or 96/4 IMO. (btw, ive got a killer horseradish burger i stole from a weight watchers book....haha)

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    i still like buying the 73/27, pan frying it as crumbles then rinsing with boiling water after draining the fat. you end up with leaner than 96/4, but at less than half the price. Can get the 73/27 for under $2 a lb, the 96/4 is usually around $4.50-$5/lb
  22. Registered User
    Orangepeel's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,760
    Rep Power
    958

    depends on sales - normally 96/4 is around $5/Lb, But I found a grocery store recently that sells 97/3 for like $3.50/Lb I beleive it was!
  23. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Rep Power
    768811

    Reducing Fat in Ground Beef

    A study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association* has good news for beef eaters. Nutrition researchers found that a simple rinsing process reduced the fat content of cooked ground beef crumbles by as much as 50 percent. And blotting can be used to reduce the fat content of cooked burgers, meatballs and meatloaf.

    So whether buying ground beef for taste, convenience or price, consumers can also enjoy the health benefits of lower-fat ground beef with a few easy steps.

    Reducing Fat in Cooked Ground Beef by Rinsing and Draining:
    By following these easy steps, it’s simple to cut the fat in favorite recipes that call for cooked ground beef crumbles, such as chili, Sloppy Joes, spaghetti with meat sauce and tacos.

    This technique allows beef eaters to take advantage of lower-priced, higher-fat ground beef and still enjoy the benefits of a leaner product.

    1. Brown ground beef in skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir occasionally to break beef into large pieces (about 1/4-inch).

    2. Meanwhile, microwave 4 cups water in a 1-quart glass measuring cup or microwaveable bowl on HIGH 5 to 6 minutes or until very hot, but not boiling (150F to 160F).

    3. Drain fat from skillet.

    4. Using a slotted spoon, remove beef crumbles to large plate or other container lined with three layers of white, non-recycled paper towels. Let sit 1 minute; blot top of beef with more paper towels.

    5. Place beef in a line mesh strainer or colander and set it on a 1/2-quart (or larger) sturdy bowl. Pour hot water over beef to rinse fat. Drain 5 minutes.

    6. Proceed as recipe directs.

    If the recipe calls for browning ground beef with onion or garlic, these items can be added during the cooking process. Rinsing the beef after cooking results in minimal flavor loss. Additional seasonings and herbs may be added after rinsing as desired.

    * Journal of the American Dietetic Association, Vol. 92, No. 11, November 1992
    heres one, an older study. there are some newer
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  24. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41243

    Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    Easy, how truly effective do you think that is? Ive heard of that method, but never really believed it turned from 73/27 to 96/4 (although I wish it did because i would save some $$$)

    On the other hand, if you are making burgers, that would be the only time u would opt for the 93/7 or 96/4 IMO. (btw, ive got a killer horseradish burger i stole from a weight watchers book....haha)

    thanks
    Do you mean how much fat is removed, if so there`s a great article done by Iowa University that shows how much fat is removed. Read it http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/asset...und%20Beef.pdf
  25. Registered User
    Liquid13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    835
    Rep Power
    488

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
    depends on sales - normally 96/4 is around $5/Lb, But I found a grocery store recently that sells 97/3 for like $3.50/Lb I beleive it was!
    McDonalds sells a 1/4 pound for I think 2 dollars or so. It also comes already cooked with the bun and some other goodies!
  26. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Rep Power
    768811

    so yeah, the 10% hits down to effectively 94/6, and the 30% to 92/8.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  27. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Rep Power
    768811

    speak of the devil... went over to walmart to pick up milk + cottage cheese, and they had a bunch of short dated 96/4 ground beef marked down to 3.09/lb from 4.64, so I bought 9lbs, making crumbles with 3, freezing the rest for next week
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  28. Registered User
    Liquid13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    835
    Rep Power
    488

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid13 View Post
    McDonalds sells a 1/4 pound for I think 2 dollars or so. It also comes already cooked with the bun and some other goodies!
    I was joking btw......
  29. Registered User
    Knewsance's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    84

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid13 View Post
    McDonalds sells a 1/4 pound for I think 2 dollars or so. It also comes already cooked with the bun and some other goodies!
  30. Registered User
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1795

    thanks. Ill try that next time. Ill probably just buy standard 85/15 or even 70/30 and see what happens.

    So, if one were to do this with the following, what is the final % if one were to follow the procedure on

    90/10
    85/15
    70/30

    Or as least a close approx.

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    heres one, an older study. there are some newer
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Ground beef or ground turkey?
    By Pezz in forum Bulking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 03:42 PM
  2. Ground Turkey Burgers
    By John Smeton in forum Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 03:05 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 08:44 PM
  4. Anus Meat Burgers ??? !!!
    By anabolicrhino in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 12:07 PM
  5. How to: Reduce fat in ground meat
    By beallio in forum Recipes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 07:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in