College Diet - AnabolicMinds.com

College Diet

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

College Diet

any good ideas for healthy snacks or easy to make meals in my dorm?

2. New Member

Assuming you have access to a refrigerater & microwave:

Carbs
    ------
    100% rolled oats
    Whole grain bread
    Fruit

Healthy fats
    ------------
    natural peanut butter
    mixed nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, etc) - to complement amino acids

Protein
    -------
    Milk
    Soymilk
    Yogurt
    Cheese
    Sandwich Meat
    Canned tuna [Warning: limit your intake to avoid mercury poisoning in the long run]

MRPs - if you don't have time

None of the above requires any cooking beyond that of a microwave...

this is what i did / what i would have done back in college.

Ah...College...those were some good times.
  3. dpfisher

Isn't there a kitchen in your dorm hall? I lived in 2 different ones and there was never anybody in the kitchens unless they were burning popcorn or something stupid like that so I could cook whenever.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

ya we have one downstairs, i have a foreman so i think im going to bring it once i come home from break. if i cook a bunch of chicken does anybody know about how long it would last? or am i better off cooking one at a time? dpfisher thanks for pointing that out, i guess i never realized how simple it would be if i had my forman and just used the kitchen. steamdman thanks for the list reps for you guys
  5. dpfisher

Quote Originally Posted by sumbum801 View Post
    ya we have one downstairs, i have a foreman so i think im going to bring it once i come home from break. if i cook a bunch of chicken does anybody know about how long it would last? or am i better off cooking one at a time? dpfisher thanks for pointing that out, i guess i never realized how simple it would be if i had my forman and just used the kitchen. steamdman thanks for the list reps for you guys
    If you don't mind freezing stuff and have the space cook a lot... I wouldn't keep more than 4 days worth in the fridge and if it's a minifridge like half that. There was also a fridge in our dorm kitchen, that once again nobody used, so I could use the freezer there. I had a meal plan too, they had a make your own stirfry station which is mostly what I used while there.

I did, and actually still do, make chili about once a month. I get 8 lbs of ground beef, 4 boxes carrol shelby's chili mix (because it has the salt separate), 4 cans chili beans, 2 cans light red kidney beans, 2 cans pinto beans, 3 cans corn, 2 cans chopped tomatoes with peppers, 2 cans tomato sauce, about 1/4 cup ketchup and some Sriracha sauce. Brown the beef and mix everything together in a huge pot except for the salt packets and flour. Throw away the salt packets and use just enough flour to get it to a nice consistency. Warning: This requires a TON of tupperware to be able to store.

Edit: Forgot to mention you need a fair amount extra chili powder too due to the volume or it won't taste right. Drain all the vegetables before putting them in. You might need hot water in the beginning while heating so it heats evenly. I usually start the huge pot simmering while the beef is browning. I'm actually making some right now. The recipe changes every time I make it but it always turns out, chili is hard to mess up
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

sounds awsome man thanks alot definetly going to have to try that out. when i get a chance i'll have to scope out my kitchen and see what i can utilize
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.

It is almost impossible to not eat prefabricated foods living in the dorm. Try to avoid these as much as possible...The Foreman Grill was a necessary item for my now-husband and I during college. Get success brown rice packets and frozen veggies so you can cook them in the microwave.

For a good breakfast try cooking the protein pancakes in the kitchen but put the leftovers in ziplocs...you can eat them a few days later if you keep them refrigerated. Those are great to eat on the way to class too.

Same recipe everyone has for pancakes: 5 egg white, 1 egg, 1 cup of quick oats, and 1/2 cup cottage cheese...blend and coke on skillet with pam.

Similar Forum Threads

1. College Kid needs help with diet
    By jerseyboy101 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 08:31 AM
  2. college diet critique
    By at1010 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 12:26 AM
  3. critique my college diet
    By mdbaker in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 10:39 PM
  4. Critique my diet at college please...
    By SacDIESEL in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 07:58 PM
  5. A good college diet
    By hendrix91870 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 06:09 PM