Alcohol And Your Blood Sugar

  1. New Member
    Rick28's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    282
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    28.58%

    Alcohol And Your Blood Sugar


    Sugar glucose is the main energy source for all tissues. Glucose comes from three sources: food, synthesis in the body, and break down of glycogen (the form of glucose that the body stores in the liver).

    Hormones maintain a constant concentration of glucose in the blood, which is especially important for the brain because it cannot make or store glucose but depends on glucose supplied by the blood. Even brief periods of low glucose levels (hypoglycemia) can cause brain damage.

    Insulin and glucagons, secreted by the pancreas, regulate blood glucose levels. Insulin lowers the glucose concentration in the blood, and glucagon raises it. Because maintaining blood sugar levels is of extreme importance for your body, there are also other hormones released from the adrenal and pituitary glands to support glucagonís function.

    Alcohol messes with all three glucose sources and with the actions of regulatory hormones.

    Most often chronic drinkers donít get enough glucose through their diets. If you donít eat, the glycogen stored in your liver will be used up within a few hours. In addition, the body has trouble making more glucose because it is expending its energy metabolizing the alcohol. Both of these effects of alcohol can cause severe hypoglycemia 6 to 36 hours after a binge drinking episode.

    Even if you think that canít happen to you because you ate a healthy meal, you are wrong. Alcohol can still mess up blood sugar levels. If thatís not enough, studies have shown that acute alcohol consumption can impair the hormonal response to hypoglycemia. So not only do you develop hypoglycemia, your body also has trouble regulating and getting your blood sugar levels back to normal.



    THE FACTS:
    -Chronic drinking causes excessive blood glucose levels (hyperglycemia).
    -Chronic alcohol abuse can reduce the bodyís responsiveness to insulin and cause glucose intolerance in both healthy individuals and alcoholics with liver cirrhosis.
    -45-70 % of patients with alcoholic liver disease are glucose intolerant or are diabetic.
    -Alcohol is really bad for diabetics because it interferes with managing diabetes.
    -Alcohol can mess up effectiveness of hypoglycemic medications.
    -Treatment of diabetes by tight control of blood glucose levels is difficult in alcoholics and both hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic episodes are common.

  2. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,258
    Rep Power
    963222
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    39.29%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. New Member
    Rick28's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    282
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    28.58%

    Thanks for the extra info.
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,258
    Rep Power
    963222
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    39.29%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Par is the man. I am lucky to be somewhat affiliated with him.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. New Member
    meatNcreatine's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    101
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    89.04%

    what?!?! alcohol ISNT GOOD FOR YOU?!?! OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!?!!!, haha please..

    who cares. its like posting "cigarette smoking destroys cilia" ur just adding onto the facts that alcohol is no good....NO ****!, good job i hope your proud of yourself buddy!
  6. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,258
    Rep Power
    963222
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    39.29%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by meatNcreatine View Post
    what?!?! alcohol ISNT GOOD FOR YOU?!?! OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!?!!!, haha please..

    who cares. its like posting "cigarette smoking destroys cilia" ur just adding onto the facts that alcohol is no good....NO ****!, good job i hope your proud of yourself buddy!
    What a productive post...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,425
    Rep Power
    57340
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    That really is a fantastic read.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  8. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,258
    Rep Power
    963222
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    39.29%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    That really is a fantastic read.
    Like I said, Par is the man. He is one of the most innovative minds in the biz.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,425
    Rep Power
    57340
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Like I said, Par is the man. He is one of the most innovative minds in the biz.
    Without a doubt. Very articulate and intelligent.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  10. Advanced Member
    planetfuzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    888
    Rep Power
    532
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    52.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by meatNcreatine View Post
    what?!?! alcohol ISNT GOOD FOR YOU?!?! OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!?!!!, haha please..

    who cares. its like posting "cigarette smoking destroys cilia" ur just adding onto the facts that alcohol is no good....NO ****!, good job i hope your proud of yourself buddy!
    This is about alcohol and your blood sugar. The name of the post is not "Alcohol is bad for you". Idiot.

    Good post. That's some interesting stuff. Something to think about next time I'm thinking about going out!
  11. New Member
    Rick28's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    282
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    28.58%

    Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    This is about alcohol and your blood sugar. The name of the post is not "Alcohol is bad for you". Idiot.

    Good post. That's some interesting stuff. Something to think about next time I'm thinking about going out!

    Thanks for your help. I guess some people can't read!
  12. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    That sh*t is f**king destructive, I quit drinking, smoking and....smoking.

    Waste of money, waste of health.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 11:59 PM
  2. Sugar alcohol, bad on a cut?
    By someguy1984 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 12:42 PM
  3. Eat any sugar alcohol lately?
    By Draven in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 09:33 PM
  4. IGF and blood sugar
    By RedwolfWV in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 08:45 PM
  5. Low blood sugar help
    By Jayhawkk in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 09:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in