1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  266 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.9%

Help me understand.

Hi there :O

So, I recently did 6 weeks on the anabolic diet, following it strictly (weighing literally everything I was consuming). I was taking in 2800 calories during the week, 3600 on the weekend, with the ratios recommended in the good Doctor's book (30% PRO 70% FAT weekdays, 60% CHO 30% PRO 10% FAT on weekends). Followed this faithfully for 6 weeks, working out 5 days a week for about an hour and a bit a day with high intensity, with Friday's depletion workout usually nearing the two hour mark.

Felt great during the weekdays of low carb, but kinda felt like **** during the weekends, after the initial sugar rush from the meal immediately following depletion. Strength went up a good bit, upped around 30 lbs on my decline bench press, about 5 lbs each arm for curling, and visually you can see more definition. Gained 4 lbs total while losing 2 inches off my waist and 1.5 inches off my chest.

I was told that 2800 calories for my size was low low low during the week (6"1, 280, moderate activity level before workouts), but would probably be safe for avoiding starvation (endomorph, so my body tends to bulk very easy). Still though, what I had always read was that it was as simple as calories in vs. calories out, and I was at least at a 600 deficit. I'm pleased with my progress, but kinda shocked at how I gained muscle while eating for cutting.

On the flip side, for the past week or so I have been doing a more standard ratio split, 2500 calories split 40% PRO 30% CHO 30% FAT (limiting carbs to oatmeal at breakfast, then simple ones after workout), and in 5 days I'm down almost 8 lbs.

I don't get it. It isn't water weight (my scale takes readings for that, and it is steady at 48%, which is normal for me), and I don't think it's glycogen (since I'm taking about 200 grams of carbs per day). That leaves muscle and fat as our options, but even with the cycling I've been doing recently, my daily deficit can't be much more than 800 calories. I'm taking BCAAs during both morning fasted cardio, then before, during, and after my workouts (bowflex or cycle). Even assuming my metabolism is some abomination burning 4000 calories a day (and being an endo, it sure as hell isn't), that still would not account for nearly all the weight loss.

HALP!

Regards,
    Matt.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Kalakbar View Post
    I was taking in 2800 calories during the week, 3600 on the weekend.
    Felt great during the weekdays of low carb, but kinda felt like **** during the weekends, after the initial sugar rush from the meal immediately following depletion. Strength went up a good bit, upped around 30 lbs on my decline bench press, about 5 lbs each arm for curling, and visually you can see more definition. Gained 4 lbs total while losing 2 inches off my waist and 1.5 inches off my chest.

I was told that 2800 calories for my size was low low low during the week (6"1, 280, moderate activity level before workouts), but would probably be safe for avoiding starvation (endomorph, so my body tends to bulk very easy). Still though, what I had always read was that it was as simple as calories in vs. calories out, and I was at least at a 600 deficit. I'm pleased with my progress, but kinda shocked at how I gained muscle while eating for cutting.

On the flip side, for the past week or so I have been doing a more standard ratio split, 2500 calories split 40% PRO 30% CHO 30% FAT (limiting carbs to oatmeal at breakfast, then simple ones after workout), and in 5 days I'm down almost 8 lbs.
    so 2500 calories a day x 7 days a week = 17500 calories a week
    and before 2800 calories x 5 days + 3600 x 2 days = 21200 calories a week

you're deficit from last week is almost 4k calories, which at 2500 calories a day you're doing now is a day and a half of food. whats the question?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  266 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.9%

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    so 2500 calories a day x 7 days a week = 17500 calories a week
    and before 2800 calories x 5 days + 3600 x 2 days = 21200 calories a week

you're deficit from last week is almost 4k calories, which at 2500 calories a day you're doing now is a day and a half of food. whats the question?
    I've read that it was 3500 calories for a pound of fat. With a 4000 deficit, that should be a pound and a bit, right? Trying to understand how it got up to 8 lbs.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.1%

if its fat you're loosing than yes. its probably muscle lost if its not water.

you can loose weight and muscle and still be just as strong. there's a link between body fat and testosterone production. that link suggests that the less belly fat you have, the more test your body puts out. so you can loose a pound of fat, a few pounds of muscle, and still be as strong. the only way to really know is to take measurements of your body as well as body fat, and see how those numbers change.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  266 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.9%

if its fat you're loosing than yes. its probably muscle lost if its not water.

you can loose weight and muscle and still be just as strong. there's a link between body fat and testosterone production. that link suggests that the less belly fat you have, the more test your body puts out. so you can loose a pound of fat, a few pounds of muscle, and still be as strong. the only way to really know is to take measurements of your body as well as body fat, and see how those numbers change.
    Interesting. I have been taking measurements for the past nine months or so, and that is how I've been measuring most of my progress (since my weight fluctuates so easy). My waist did go from mid fifties to 42" in the past nine months or so, plus about a foot or so lost of my chest. Arms/legs have gone up in size, but have a ton more muscle on them, instead of the layer of comfortable living before.

I guess that would make sense, since I have not really noticed a strength loss at all. I had it ironed into my head that muscle weight = muscle strength, and if that isn't always the case, the weight loss makes a hell of a lot more sense. Good stuff, thanks bud
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.1%

i'll try to get the article this weekend and PM the info to you brotha.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  266 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.9%

i'll try to get the article this weekend and PM the info to you brotha.
    Awesome :O Thanks again.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help me understand this....
    By MEH89 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
  2. Help me understand an ATD
    By citystreets in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
  3. Help me understand
    By HUGEbanks in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation