is splenda safe?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.28%

is splenda safe?

could someone tell me? lol. im watching this vid on aspartame ( i know its not splenda) but i knew it was dangerous and interesting. so is splenda just as toxic?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.15%

I don't think so. I've been throwing this stuff all over my Go Lean Crunch! cereal, and it tastes great.

God, don't take this one from me.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.28%

thats what im saying man haha. i use it in my koolaid and on my oatmeal i hope its safe
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Splenda is pretty safe. The original study back in the 50s (i think?) was based on HUGE amounts being given to rats. Over time the study was given less and less credibility and in 2000 congress repealed the requirement for warning label. It was never actually banned and the FDA canceled its proposal to ban in in the early 90s I believe.

I use it without worry.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.21%

I looked into Splenda after watching the aspartame documentary, and couldn't really find any controversy over it.

I sure hope it isn't toxic, seeing as how it's used in most protein powders.
  6. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

It is my understanding that sucralose's toxicity levels are much lower than other artificial sweeteners.

That being said, I have read studies indicated that some of it, up to 40% possibly, is actually absorbed and metabolised. This means the chloride bound to and preventing the absorption of the sucrose is broken off, releasing the chloride as an ion and the sucrose as, well sugar obviously.

This is not indisputable fact, bear in mind, just the outcome of a few experiments I read a while ago. Just my .02

Personally, I don't like the idea of "up to 40%" of a supposedly non-nutritive sweetener being metabolized as normal sugar, but I don't like artificial sweeteners in general. Again, however, this is not fact, only a possibility that needs further verification.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  7. Banned
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.03%

I read that Rumsfield was the ass who pushed it onto the market. So with his stamp of approval, you can be sure its unsafe haha
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.15%

Funny thing I noticed on the Light Yoplait Yogurt labels. They flaunt their use of aspartame and "other artificial sweeteners." It's in pretty big text, right on the front of the label.
  9. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Yoplait is really bad in general - healthwise. I'm not surprised they use aspartame as a selling point - they're marketed to overweight housewives and such, and to those folks, less cals = thin. Nevermind that if the cals you do get are crap that your going to lose lean mass right along with a bit of fat, and prohibit your body's proper function

I stick to whole, organic plain yogurt - it's great for you.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.86%

I think the 'dangers of aspartame/splenda' are severely overrated. No normal person - whether you're active or non-active - should feel any side effects from an average consumption of aspartame or splenda .. If you're an idiot and choose to live off of sugar free sodas and the likes, feel free, there aspartame may cause some internal issues within time . . but for Xod's sake, don't turn your lives upside/down from the 'fear of fake sugars' .. 'Research' is a vert loosely defined term. Government and researchers always come up with $hit to restrict our consumption of anything .. Leave us be, dammit, and let us make our own choices.
    VikingInc On a Fat-SMOLDERING Journey, Sponsored by Southland Performance Products

- My Quest To Reach 200 lbs. Is Officially In The Making!
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.21%

Quote Originally Posted by vikinginc View Post
    I think the 'dangers of aspartame/splenda' are severely overrated. No normal person - whether you're active or non-active - should feel any side effects from an average consumption of aspartame or splenda .. If you're an idiot and choose to live off of sugar free sodas and the likes, feel free, there aspartame may cause some internal issues within time . . but for Xod's sake, don't turn your lives upside/down from the 'fear of fake sugars' .. 'Research' is a vert loosely defined term. Government and researchers always come up with $hit to restrict our consumption of anything .. Leave us be, dammit, and let us make our own choices.
    Exactly,

At the end of the day, it seems EVERYTHING causes cancer, or there is a study proving it is unsafe.. What can we really do? From the air we breathe, to that water we drink, everything is ****ing toxic.

I would be more worried about all the vitamins, and supplements we cram in our bodies on a daily basis, thinking they contain what the "label" says, when we don't really know what the hell is in there.

Not to mention who the hell knows what any of these "herbs" do to us? That they aren't carcinogenic.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.97%

Quote Originally Posted by vikinginc View Post
    Agreed. This is out of Men's Health: "Your brain is safe. A review of over 500 studies on aspartame found that there is no evidence that aspartame causes cancer or neurological damage in humans. The authors (scientists from 10 universities) studied research on various levels of intake,including those that far exceeded daily averages."

I avoid aspartame whenever I can. Sucralose is much harder to avoid,but if either are in something I am eating I don't freak out.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.14%

Splenda is basically "chlorinated sugar"... the sound of that doesn't bother anyone? I just installed an expensive water filter to get chlorine out of our whole house, so eating "little yellow chlorine packets" doesn't make sense to me. Its hard to find things like protein powder or energy bars without it.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.34%

I used to like Splenda, but now the stuff scares the hell out of me. Just use Stevia or Raw Sugar.

Decent Article:
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/...php?itemid=109
  15. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.32%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LeanGuy View Post
    Splenda is basically "chlorinated sugar"... the sound of that doesn't bother anyone? I just installed an expensive water filter to get chlorine out of our whole house, so eating "little yellow chlorine packets" doesn't make sense to me. Its hard to find things like protein powder or energy bars without it.
    Not one bit since I know salt is Sodium Chloride and nobody is flipping out about that right The amount of sucralose used is VERY small since it is 600x sweeter than sucrose, so you're getting maybe a few mg of the compound, of which only 3 atoms is chlorine.

That being said, try and curb your sugar tooth and don't live off artificial sweeteners. I know I have phases where I love dumping sugar into my tea, then I'll go on green tea for a week and look back thinking I was just trying to drink sugar water. (Currently on the green tea week lol)
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.72%

So what is safe? What is bad for you? I mean come on, do the best you can and hope for the best.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.89%

i really hope it is safe but i think longterm it prob not.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.5%

I agree. All that artificial S is just that....S! Stevia is all natural and no carbs, 300x sweeter than sugar and readily available these days...Trader Joe's, etc... Why take the chance even if ur not a rat? My .02!

Similar Forum Threads

1. How bad is splenda?
    By DerickVonD in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 06:19 PM
  2. splenda
    By Davidlee in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
  3. Splenda??
    By eneyman in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 27