1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Is 3,600 calories enough

I've always been stuck at about 175 180lbs and the most weight i've ever held for a short period of time was about 190. my goal is to get to atleast 190 again and i've been finally keep track of calories and everything. now i don't eat the same thing everyday because that would get boring but my diet consists of wheat cereal, oats, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, lean beef, chicken, whatever vegetable i grab and usually a few apples and bananas.

now i've been doing this for about a month and i haven't gained a single pound. i'm guessing maybe 3,600cals a day isn't enough? anybody with some info that could help me let me know thanks.

2. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

If you haven't gained weight in a month at 3600 calories, now you know your maintenance is 3600. I'd say add about 500 cals/day and asses after 2 weeks, so aim for approx 4100. I'd recommend adding this in through another meal, or making you own 500cal weightgainer shake and sipping on it.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.62%

Would you mind posting what your daily food intake looks like? You say you keep track of your calories and intake what is your current macro split?

I only say this because some people respond much better as they paly around with the amount of protien/fat/carbs
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

Quote Originally Posted by striking View Post
    Would you mind posting what your daily food intake looks like? You say you keep track of your calories and intake what is your current macro split?

I only say this because some people respond much better as they paly around with the amount of protien/fat/carbs
    i don't have time for all of that and it's not the same everyday but it's around

35-3600 calories
    140grams of fat
    about 480g of carbs
    250 grams protein
    i always seem to come out way low on potassium intake i swear nothing has potassium in it and i'm having a hard time cutting down on the sodium.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    If you haven't gained weight in a month at 3600 calories, now you know your maintenance is 3600. I'd say add about 500 cals/day and asses after 2 weeks, so aim for approx 4100. I'd recommend adding this in through another meal, or making you own 500cal weightgainer shake and sipping on it.
    i've maintained before on way less than 3,600. when i started keeping track i didn't realize how little i was eating.

i have my own weight gainer shake but i call it breakfast since it's real food not fake powder. i use 1 cup oatmeal, 2 cups skim milk(maybe should use whole for extra cals) a banana, 2 scoops on whey protein 2tbsp peanut butter and a scoop of cycle support. and before i take all of this i take 1 gram of yellow gold about a half hour before drinking it. and gut health about 15 minutes before
  6. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Well basically you need to eat over your maintenance. If you weren't gaining on your diet over the course of a month, that is the straight definition of maintenance. Force-feed yourself an extra 5-600 cals a day, and let us know what happens in 2 weeks.

Try reading http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...ating_rl_1.htm and http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...ating_rl_2.htm
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.33%

Quote Originally Posted by jsp0785 View Post
    i don't have time for all of that and it's not the same everyday but it's around

35-3600 calories
    140grams of fat
    about 480g of carbs
    250 grams protein
    i always seem to come out way low on potassium intake i swear nothing has potassium in it and i'm having a hard time cutting down on the sodium.
    if those amounts are REALLY what you're eating, it is 4180 calories... i highly doubt you have been eating that much for a week and haven't gainied weight.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

Quote Originally Posted by BiggerGeek View Post
    if those amounts are REALLY what you're eating, it is 4180 calories... i highly doubt you have been eating that much for a week and haven't gainied weight.
    yesterday i had

141 grams of fat
    418grams of carbs
    160 grams protein(little lower than normal)
    217mg cholesterol
    4,781mg sodium(yikes)
    79 grams of fiber
    77 grams of sugar

what i have estimates that at 3,542 calories taken in
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.37%

yesterday i had

141 grams of fat
    418grams of carbs
    160 grams protein(little lower than normal)
    217mg cholesterol
    4,781mg sodium(yikes)
    79 grams of fiber
    77 grams of sugar

what i have estimates that at 3,542 calories taken in
    79 grams of fiber? Holy crap.

That's alot of sodium. Are you eating a lot of canned meats or soups?? A frozen pizza doesn't even have that much sodium in it.n insane amount of sodium. How are you eating that much?

I know you say you don't have time for macros but that could really help you out. I was eating a lot a couple of months ago and not gaining. I finally calculated my macros and I was eating around 40 percent fat. Eating more carbs has allowed me to eat a lot more and I feel better too.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.54%

was that 77g sugar included in you carb calc or on top of that
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.54%

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post

That's alot of sodium. Are you eating a lot of canned meats or soups?? A frozen pizza doesn't even have that much sodium in it.n insane amount of sodium. How are you eating that much?

I know you say you don't have time for macros but that could really help you out. I was eating a lot a couple of months ago and not gaining. I finally calculated my macros and I was eating around 40 percent fat. Eating more carbs has allowed me to eat a lot more and I feel better too.
    bong...i eat a little fat as possible on most days. if you are eating that many carbs and not gaining weight you are simply eating the wrong foods. i myself eat more carbs than anyone i've ever trained with or talk too about it. i say eat cleaner, cut the fat and boost the protein..alot. 400g (excluding sugar and fiber) carbs should be enough at your weight...i'd shoot for 275-300g protein and add in enzymes with that kind of intake.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.29%

Maybe you should think about adding some fat in your diet.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    was that 77g sugar included in you carb calc or on top of that
    yea sugar is included with carbs
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

bong...i eat a little fat as possible on most days. if you are eating that many carbs and not gaining weight you are simply eating the wrong foods. i myself eat more carbs than anyone i've ever trained with or talk too about it. i say eat cleaner, cut the fat and boost the protein..alot. 400g (excluding sugar and fiber) carbs should be enough at your weight...i'd shoot for 275-300g protein and add in enzymes with that kind of intake.
    i usually eat about 250-300 grams of protein a day and take gut health.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

holy crap is right i'm in the bathroom a lot. i never noticed it that high but maybe that's why i feel full all the time.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Maybe you should think about adding some fat in your diet.
    that doesn't include the fish oil caps i take everyday.
  17. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%

holy crap is right i'm in the bathroom a lot. i never noticed it that high but maybe that's why i feel full all the time.
    Re: high fiber, found this from ask alice "However, having too much fiber in one's diet can cause problems. When the intake of fiber is too high, it can replace other energy and nutrients that you need in your diet. Some insoluble fibers bind certain minerals, including calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, and iron. Too much fiber can also cause abdominal discomfort, gas, and diarrhea, and block the gastrointestinal (GI) tract if you add too much fiber too fast. ". Sounds like you've worked your way up just fine, I just wonder if it's affecting mineral absorption.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

Re: high fiber, found this from ask alice "However, having too much fiber in one's diet can cause problems. When the intake of fiber is too high, it can replace other energy and nutrients that you need in your diet. Some insoluble fibers bind certain minerals, including calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, and iron. Too much fiber can also cause abdominal discomfort, gas, and diarrhea, and block the gastrointestinal (GI) tract if you add too much fiber too fast. ". Sounds like you've worked your way up just fine, I just wonder if it's affecting mineral absorption.
    i do also take adam multi everyday too
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.54%

yea sugar is included with carbs
    well i'd subtract that and the fiber from your calculations - the way i see it you are around 250g carbs...thats not enough. whats your training like cause you should at least pack on some weight with that many cals
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

well i'd subtract that and the fiber from your calculations - the way i see it you are around 250g carbs...thats not enough. whats your training like cause you should at least pack on some weight with that many cals
    i've always done different workouts most of the time. back is always by itself, leg days are by themselves, and i'll either do chest and biceps, or tris and bis and will do calves twice a week. doing 10-12 reps most exercises but some 6-8 for strength
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

i'll throw in more carbs. my problem is i commute an hour to school so i eat down there a few times which is where a lot of salt comes from. and deli meat... it's cheap
  22. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%

i'll throw in more carbs. my problem is i commute an hour to school so i eat down there a few times which is where a lot of salt comes from. and deli meat... it's cheap
    Load up on the unsalted almonds. For protein, buy bulk chicken breasts, cook them all up, then put them in containers. They'll keep for the week atleast. Use some bulk cooking tips from this forum to help prepare lower-salt meals for yourself.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

Load up on the unsalted almonds. For protein, buy bulk chicken breasts, cook them all up, then put them in containers. They'll keep for the week atleast. Use some bulk cooking tips from this forum to help prepare lower-salt meals for yourself.
    that's what i do. sams club is the best. every once in a while i indulge in the dark chocolate roasted almonds it's like an orgasm in every bite
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.37%

How come so low on fat? Just curious. I like eating a little bit of fat in each meal. Keeps me satiated.

If you want to cut down on fiber but increase carbs then try using carbs like waxy maize and maltodextrin. I like putting malto in my weight gainer shakes because its cheap and then I'm not getting too much fiber.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

How come so low on fat? Just curious. I like eating a little bit of fat in each meal. Keeps me satiated.

If you want to cut down on fiber but increase carbs then try using carbs like waxy maize and maltodextrin. I like putting malto in my weight gainer shakes because its cheap and then I'm not getting too much fiber.
    i don't plan on eating that little fat i guess it just happens that way, i think i need to switch to whole milk instead of skim which should help a lot. and i do take fish oil caps with every meal and take waximaize post workout. i don't know if i'm just not eating the right foods or what. everything i eat is whole wheat or very lean

so if i'm eating that many calories and almost 500 grams of carbs how much fat should i take in? i feel full constantly and kinda ****ty but i'm guessing thats from too much fiber
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.37%

The fiber or the sodium could be the culprit. Sodium always gives me heartburn for some reason. A little bit of fat. Nuts are a great thing to take with you. You could have a bag of nuts and if you can't get any healthy fat at school just eat a handful.

Whole milk will help. Did wonders for me. Drink as much milk as you can without feeling bad. My limit is about half a gallon. Fantastic source of calories and protein.
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.54%

cause i eat a high protein diet most of the time (~300g)...and when i say eat that exactly what i mean. as far as being satisified why waste space on less anabolic nutrients. studies show that high protein diet suppress appitite increasing hormone (ghrelin) where as fat increases it...sure you might eat more, but more crap you don't need. my other argument is that when you are eating 5 or 6 times day chances are you are getting enough fat or can easily add it to shakes. i also eat beef every day...i should of said i don't really moniter my fat intake...i just know its lower than most.
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.54%

i don't plan on eating that little fat i guess it just happens that way, i think i need to switch to whole milk instead of skim which should help a lot. and i do take fish oil caps with every meal and take waximaize post workout. i don't know if i'm just not eating the right foods or what. everything i eat is whole wheat or very lean

so if i'm eating that many calories and almost 500 grams of carbs how much fat should i take in? i feel full constantly and kinda ****ty but i'm guessing thats from too much fiber
    if you are a hard gainer (assumming you are) i'd recommend carbs over fat. i get my fiber from my oats...other than that stick to pasta, rice, and potatos for your carbs sources. i i am getting the impression that you are complicating things...prepairing meals for a entire day is very easy using high carbs sources as mentioned
  29. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%

Look man use some common sense....Ill help you out

are you moving around all day at a labor job in 87 degree weather? If so your probably burning many k's or more and you'll have to take in way more to grow.

are you at a computer desk all day doing nothing? if so you'll grow off of 3,600 at 175 and youll get to about 190-195 maybe higher(every body is different)

access what your activity is and adjust your calories, in out verses output is very simple. please do not pm me asking advice about this. I'm already training one friend for free, getting him large, as he never know these obvious things, that it took me six years to learn. Hope that helps you
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    Look man use some common sense....Ill help you out

are you moving around all day at a labor job in 87 degree weather? If so your probably burning many k's or more and you'll have to take in way more to grow.

are you at a computer desk all day doing nothing? if so you'll grow off of 3,600 at 175 and youll get to about 190-195 maybe higher(every body is different)

access what your activity is and adjust your calories, in out verses output is very simple. please do not pm me asking advice about this. I'm already training one friend for free, getting him large, as he never know these obvious things, that it took me six years to learn. Hope that helps you
    i feel like i'm doing everything i need to be. eating 3,600 calories high protein high carb moderate fat. my goal is about 190lbs for short term so that's why i'm doing that calorie amount. i guess i just need to give it more time.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

if you are a hard gainer (assumming you are) i'd recommend carbs over fat. i get my fiber from my oats...other than that stick to pasta, rice, and potatos for your carbs sources. i i am getting the impression that you are complicating things...prepairing meals for a entire day is very easy using high carbs sources as mentioned
    all i eat all day is chicken, vegetables(usually corn or green beans), fish, wheat pasta(can't get enough of it) peanut butter and jelly on 12 grain bread and stuff like that. i think most of my problem actually is that i can't eat that often so i'm eating too many calories at once. i'm guessing that slows down absorbtion and maybe won't absorb as many nutrients as i should
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.29%

Eat every 3 hours, eat 600-1000 calories per meal depending on how many meals you'll get in that day.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.33%

keep in mind, gaining muscle (when done naturally) should be a slow process. It is very unlikely that you will be able to gain multiple pounds of muscle every week. If you are looking to gain over a pound or two a week you are probably just gonna be packing on the fat.

I definitely would be happy with 1 lb per week.

So you say 190 is your short term goal... what is short term for you? If it is around 4 months, I'd say you are good to go.
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

keep in mind, gaining muscle (when done naturally) should be a slow process. It is very unlikely that you will be able to gain multiple pounds of muscle every week. If you are looking to gain over a pound or two a week you are probably just gonna be packing on the fat.

I definitely would be happy with 1 lb per week.

So you say 190 is your short term goal... what is short term for you? If it is around 4 months, I'd say you are good to go.
    that's about right. it's just been a month and i got on the scale yesterday and i was down a pound. i haven't gained any weight in a month seems kind of weird
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.33%

that's about right. it's just been a month and i got on the scale yesterday and i was down a pound. i haven't gained any weight in a month seems kind of weird
    you also need to make sure you are in calorie surplus at least MOST of the time. One or two days below maintenance isn't the end of it all, but you calories need to at least average out to above maintenance. I suggest taking at least one week to write down what you eat...without adjusting things...to see what you are averaging. Or if you already have that, add it up, see what the variance is from day to day.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

you also need to make sure you are in calorie surplus at least MOST of the time. One or two days below maintenance isn't the end of it all, but you calories need to at least average out to above maintenance. I suggest taking at least one week to write down what you eat...without adjusting things...to see what you are averaging. Or if you already have that, add it up, see what the variance is from day to day.
    i have an iphone and there's a program i downloaded where i put in everythign i eat when i eat it everyday and it calculates all my calories fat carbs ect. it's a great program
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.33%

i have an iphone and there's a program i downloaded where i put in everythign i eat when i eat it everyday and it calculates all my calories fat carbs ect. it's a great program
    is it a free program??? I got an iphone too. I'll have to check it out...if it is free
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

is it a free program??? I got an iphone too. I'll have to check it out...if it is free
    i think there are free ones but this one wasn't. it's called fitness. u set ur goals and ur weight and by what percentage you want to increase your diet... i put a goal of 190lbs with a 10% diet increase and thats' where i came up with the amount of calories. it has tons of food stored in and exercises where it estimates how many calories you burn doing those exercises. and you can add custom food and custom meals. i think it was 9.99 but it's well worth it.
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%

actually it's called absolute fitness and it's 14.95
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.33%

hmm I'll check it out... can't really see myself paying for it though.

Similar Forum Threads

1. how low should your calories go!
    By crankchest in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2009, 06:37 PM
  2. calories/calories from fat/ sugar alcohol
    By stfdkd37 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 07:48 PM
  3. Calories Burned vs calories taken
    By xaktsaroth in forum Bulking
    Replies: 15