Eggs - To Yolk Or Not To Yolk?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Eggs - To Yolk Or Not To Yolk?


    Hi all. I'm new here. Curious about eggs because I just fried up 2 whole eggs.

    Is it best to go with whites? What advantages are there to the yolks?

    From my limited recollection, is it true that the yolks lend to high cholesterol?

    Also, natural (real) eggs or egg substitute?

    I'm looking for weight loss at the moment, but more importantly, overall good health.

    Thanks,

    Justin



  2. It really depends on the structure of your diet, over all cals, etc.

    Give us some more details.

  3. I suppose if your on an X-factor cycle, the yolk provides extra archiodonic acid I believe.
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   
       


  4. i've never tried egg substitutes... and i always skip the yolk when i eat my boiled eggs... the yolk contains cholesterol... i see little benefit in eating them....

    when i make omelets i will use 6 white and 2 whole eggs with a little salt and picante sauce, that makes a full breakfast.

  5. Let me put it this way: I don't even have a structure (yet) and have no idea what an X-Factor cycle (or any other type of cycle to be more precise) is.

    <--- 100% newb

    Sorry, I really can't provide much details. I understand if that makes it difficult to comment.

    Thanks

  6. I use a 3-1 ratio. 3 egg whites to one whole egg. The yolk in the egg has great nutrients that you can benefit from.

  7. All yolk baby. Body needs cholesterol to build muscle.

  8. when making eggs i would go with a mixture of some whole eggs and some egg whites. you dont want more than 1 or 2 yolks a day. anymore more than that and you will be getting too much choleterol. Some choleterol is good but not too much. you really want to try and get less than 300mg of cholesterol a day. the yolks do taste good tho and have a lot of other good nutrients in them.

  9. I don't think Cholesterol from eggs has shown to impact your body's cholesterol but the main reason I don't use more yolk is keeping my fat intake where I want it.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    I don't think Cholesterol from eggs has shown to impact your body's cholesterol but the main reason I don't use more yolk is keeping my fat intake where I want it.
    Troof!

  11. I'm with Jayhawk, although on cuts I rarely have room for the fat in my diet so its whites only.

    Also you should look at how much saturated fat your getting in each day and go from there. I dont think most people realize how much saturated fat they take in...

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    I don't think Cholesterol from eggs has shown to impact your body's cholesterol but the main reason I don't use more yolk is keeping my fat intake where I want it.
    I eat 5 whole eggs a day.My cholesterol just checked out fine.Keep in mind that healthy fats will raise testosterone levels.

  13. Eating whites vs. whole eggs changes the nutritional value (talking amount of fat, protein, etc). As long as you account for the extra fat in whole eggs, they are great. It's all about the calories and macros (pro., carb., fat).

    If you tend to have more fat in other areas of your diet, then just do whites. You need to figure out what kind of calories you need to consume to reach your goals.

  14. Plus the benefits of the fat soluble vitamins found in the yolk.

  15. If you want just lean protein eat some tuna or something, if you want a muscle building, testosterone producing, healthy meal eat the whole egg! Egg Yolks are a great source of healthy fats and protein. As long as you are tracking your daily intake of fats and keeping it proportionate to your overall caloric intake Egg Yolks, IMO, are going to do you more harm than good. With that being said when I eat eggs I will usually eat 3 whole eggs and then throw some turkey, green peppers, and onion on top to make a quick omelet.
    Muscle Pharm Rep

  16. Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    If you want just lean protein eat some tuna or something, if you want a muscle building, testosterone producing, healthy meal eat the whole egg! Egg Yolks are a great source of healthy fats and protein. As long as you are tracking your daily intake of fats and keeping it proportionate to your overall caloric intake Egg Yolks, IMO, are going to do you more harm than good. With that being said when I eat eggs I will usually eat 3 whole eggs and then throw some turkey, green peppers, and onion on top to make a quick omelet.
    Word. Eat em whole, eat em raw.

  17. Whole or Bust.

    8< a day is fairly normal for me. Omega-3 Most of the time.

  18. Thanks for all the helpful insights guys. Looks like its a case of 'in moderation'. I'm new to foods and diet and monitoring caloric intake so your insights are really helpful and appreciated. I'm charting my intake with the diet tracker on this forum to see where my fats etc are in proportion to my total intake. Looks like a lot of fats already

  19. Just remember you want at least 20-30% of your daily calories to come from healthy fats. Optimally you wont to try and split it equally between mono- poly and saturated fats.
    Muscle Pharm Rep

  20. I believe some cholesterol is good. Not over the top, but just some. I think the Anabolic Diet mentioned that high cholesterol consumptions leads to higher testosterone levels.

  21. Testosterone is derived from cholesterol.
    Muscle Pharm Rep

  22. Quote Originally Posted by liquid View Post
    I believe some cholesterol is good. Not over the top, but just some. I think the Anabolic Diet mentioned that high cholesterol consumptions leads to higher testosterone levels.
    Yeah, and if you're getting plenty of fibre in your diet, you're active and have no family history of high cholesterol you should be fine.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by justinfection View Post
    Let me put it this way: I don't even have a structure (yet) and have no idea what an X-Factor cycle (or any other type of cycle to be more precise) is.

    <--- 100% newb

    Sorry, I really can't provide much details. I understand if that makes it difficult to comment.

    Thanks
    Couple of yolks won't kill ya. I buy egg whites by the carton, and make omelettes with them. Occasionally I throw in a couple of whole eggs as well, but I generally like to get my fat from other locations.

  24. I'm joining the YMCA this weekend. Any suggestions or guides I can read to get my diet and workout routine in sync? I don't know what the Anabolic Diet is but I want to learn some options. Thanks again. You're all great help.

  25. Bottom line: If you don't get enough cholesterol, you wont be growing muscle as efficiently as you could be.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    Bottom line: If you don't get enough cholesterol, you wont be growing muscle as efficiently as you could be.
    ...and eating those bumnuts is a sure-fire way to get enough in

  27. Debunking the cholesterol myths....
    Dietary cholesterol has insignificant effect on blood cholesterol levels in a majority of people. Furtermore,
    cholesterol is a vital building block of cell membranes and thus important in maintaining cell membrane integrity. It is also a precursor TO ALL steroid hormones (including testosterone, as several guys here already pointed out), and essential for conducting nerve impulses. Connections between neurons (synapses), depend on the presence of cholesterol and without these connections, processes like memory, learning and motor function would be compromised. Believe it or not, one of the reason why sleep is good for you is because of the increased synthesis of cholesterol during sleep. Unless you plan on eating a dozen eggs per day, I wouldn't worry about separating the yolk out. Besides, the bioavailability of the protein in egg is much greater when the egg is consumed whole.
    Enough of that science brainwash...

    http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/index.html

  28. Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    Debunking the cholesterol myths....
    Dietary cholesterol has insignificant effect on blood cholesterol levels in a majority of people. Furtermore,
    cholesterol is a vital building block of cell membranes and thus important in maintaining cell membrane integrity. It is also a precursor TO ALL steroid hormones (including testosterone, as several guys here already pointed out), and essential for conducting nerve impulses. Connections between neurons (synapses), depend on the presence of cholesterol and without these connections, processes like memory, learning and motor function would be compromised. Believe it or not, one of the reason why sleep is good for you is because of the increased synthesis of cholesterol during sleep. Unless you plan on eating a dozen eggs per day, I wouldn't worry about separating the yolk out. Besides, the bioavailability of the protein in egg is much greater when the egg is consumed whole.
    Enough of that science brainwash...

    http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/index.html

    I've been eating 4 whole eggs a day all year - check out my cholesterol:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  29. Wow. You guys really know your diet ish. I'm so glad I joined this site. So, what's up with eating raw eggs? Other than eliminating the oils you would use to cook them and thus reducing excess fat / calories that could be better spent elsewhere, are there more benefits?

  30. Quote Originally Posted by justinfection View Post
    Wow. You guys really know your diet ish. I'm so glad I joined this site. So, what's up with eating raw eggs? Other than eliminating the oils you would use to cook them and thus reducing excess fat / calories that could be better spent elsewhere, are there more benefits?
    calories from cooking oils are negligible. You also need a lot of fat to both lose fat or gain muscle. I don't cook my eggs with any oil anyways.

    Raw eggs are dangerous because of salmonella

  31. Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    calories from cooking oils are negligible. You also need a lot of fat to both lose fat or gain muscle. I don't cook my eggs with any oil anyways.

    Raw eggs are dangerous because of salmonella
    i actually did some research on this when i decided to eat eggs raw on occasion due to convenience. unless you are already sick, an infant, or elderly it is very hard for you to contract salmonella from the raw eggs. Also, the amount of eggs that actually carry the salmonella bacteria is very small, in 2002 only 2.3 million out of the 69 billion eggs contained salmonella. and if you are worried about the salmonella you can heat it up in 140-150 degree water for 3-5 minutes, which is not long or hot enough to cook the egg, but enough to kill the bacteria. and besides, most of the bacteria is on the shell, and unless your eating the shell too...

  32. why buy eggs then throw half of it away...i eat 6 for breakfast

  33. Quote Originally Posted by Necroticism View Post
    i actually did some research on this when i decided to eat eggs raw on occasion due to convenience. unless you are already sick, an infant, or elderly it is very hard for you to contract salmonella from the raw eggs. Also, the amount of eggs that actually carry the salmonella bacteria is very small, in 2002 only 2.3 million out of the 69 billion eggs contained salmonella. and if you are worried about the salmonella you can heat it up in 140-150 degree water for 3-5 minutes, which is not long or hot enough to cook the egg, but enough to kill the bacteria. and besides, most of the bacteria is on the shell, and unless your eating the shell too...
    Eating a lot of eggs is a volume issue for me, so I wack them in a blender with some oats, milk, berries, banana sometimes some whey if Im making up a batch for the day and drink it.

    If you're worried about salmonella, look at the farming practices in your area. It's rare to catch it this part of the world

  34. Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    why buy eggs then throw half of it away...i eat 6 for breakfast
    Exactly, throwing half out is pure BLASPHEMY !

    Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    Eating a lot of eggs is a volume issue for me, so I wack them in a blender with some oats, milk, berries, banana sometimes some whey if Im making up a batch for the day and drink it.

    If you're worried about salmonella, look at the farming practices in your area. It's rare to catch it this part of the world
    Nice, I'll start adding raw eggs to protein shakes, most powders mix terribly, and yolk lecithin is a natural emulsifier. Throw in some coconut milk and all the anti-saturated and anti-cholesterol advocates can pull their hairs out as far as I care!

  35. Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    Exactly, throwing half out is pure BLASPHEMY !
    Nice, I'll start adding raw eggs to protein shakes, most powders mix terribly, and yolk lecithin is a natural emulsifier. Throw in some coconut milk and all the anti-saturated and anti-cholesterol advocates can pull their hairs out as far as I care! :lol
    ha! A girl after my own heart - bless!

    One day I misread a recipe and ended up downing a ~3,000 cal shake. Had the above ingredients plus 300ml of cream...

  36. Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    ha! A girl after my own heart - bless!

    One day I misread a recipe and ended up downing a ~3,000 cal shake. Had the above ingredients plus 300ml of cream...

    HAHA, was that a post WO shake JKP ? :burg::donut: Because, well, you know, you wouldn't want to MISS "the window of opportunity"

  37. In regards to raw eggs the risk of salmonella poisoning is low like neuro pointed out but if your still worried you can eat/use the pasteurized eggs that come in cartons.

    Also if your eating raw eggs I thought I have read you should avoid eating any egg that is cracked.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook


  38. good points, both.

    Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    In regards to raw eggs the risk of salmonella poisoning is low like neuro pointed out but if your still worried you can eat/use the pasteurized eggs that come in cartons.

    Also if your eating raw eggs I thought I have read you should avoid eating any egg that is cracked.

  39. jakellpet has the right idea! I chuck whole eggs into my shakes everyday. 4 normally does the trick: D
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. RAW EGGS vs COOKED EGGS
    By LIFTEDnGIFTED in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 10:38 PM
  2. Raw Eggs VS. Cooked Eggs
    By Z28Luver7777 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 03:14 PM
  3. What do you do with your yolk?
    By Chub in forum Recipes
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM
  4. how many eggs per day.
    By kelsey in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Log in
Log in