Bulk servings incorrect weights?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

Bulk servings incorrect weights?

I purchased some bulk powders and also a 50g scale from NP and when I went to check the serving amounts on each, the amount I measured varied widely from what the NP serving says on the packaging. For example, for chocamine, it says 1/4 tsp is 600 mg while the amount i measure is different. I used 1/4, 1/2 and then 1 tsp for each serving and they all added correctly but it never came out to be what the serving said it was. The amounts were as follows, all suggested are the amounts that are supposed to be in 1/4 tsp as stated on the containers:
    Glucosamine HCL - suggested - 900 mg actual - 845 mg.
    94%
    Na R-ALA - suggested - 200 mg actual - 323 mg.
    162%
    Chocamine - suggested - 600 mg actual - 735 mg.
    123%
    L-Tyrosine - suggested - 300 mg actual - 348 mg.
    116%

Like I said, I've used 1/4 tsp, 1/2, and 1 tsp and when I add four 1/4 tsp it always equals as much as my 1 tsp but it never equals the amounts suggested. I've tried two different spoons and it gives me the same measurements. Also, the bulk ALCAR I purchased from NP came out correctly, as did a bulk beta alanine and citrulline malate I had sitting around. For kicks I measured out protein and it also came out correctly. I can understand 5-10% error but I can't see 62% like the RALA. I know how to measure things also, so I know thats not the problem. Just trying to figure out whats the deal here. I'm very particular and keep a detailed log of everything so I'd like to know that the amounts I'm taking really are that amount.

Any thoughts on whats going on with these measurements?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

Anyone else have anything like this?
  3. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I know the Chocamine can vary wildly from batch to batch. I don't know about the NA-R-ALA, but I agree that you need to have, especially that bulk, pretty close to accurate.

We'll have it looked at again.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.44%

Were you taking flat teaspoons or rounded teaspoons for measurements?
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

Flat. A true 1/4 teaspoon as it says. If it said rounded I'd measure rounded but there is no way to get reliable measurements with rounded measurements. I'm going to take the powder out of the containers and weight the entire amounts soon to make sure thats correct as a whole also. I spent a good deal on bulk supps, I'd just like to figure out what amounts i'm really taking.
  6. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.17%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

to be honest, that's not that bad of a margin of error

Bulk density varies as the particles break down. This likely happens during the shipping and handling processes.

Other things to take into account is where the number is coming from. I would imagine this is the average density of the batch (i.e total weight of batch divided by the volume it takes up). This average would account for the differences in particle sizes from the top and the bottom of the batch (powder gets more dense as it gets closer to the bottom of the lot container due to settling.)

Make sense?

EDIT: I also want to point out that the per 1/4 tsp density should NOT be assumed as the correct or suggested serving size.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  7. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.01%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I would say seeing as how you have a scale to measure your dosages that was would be best.

Think of it like this you open a box of cereal and one time it is almost full and another time it looks 1/3 empty.

Humidity, settling etc can cause the volume to fluctuate but the weight will be the same all the time.

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

I never thought that the 1/4 tsp was a suggested dosage. Just using it as a reference point. Humidity shouldn't be a factor seeing as I just received it. There should have been no time for humidity to affect it. If its affecting it at the source, the measurements should be adjusted. To combat settling, I stirred it around with a fork and shook it up a bit to prevent that as much as possible.

I can see it having a margin of error, but when the dosage of NaRALA is such a small amount in general, I'd rather not be taking double dosages when I don't need to.

Also, it doesn't account for the supplements like ALCAR which settles A LOT that didn't have a large margin of error (less than 5%) or the supplements from other companies that also had very small error.

Does anyone else have any of these bulk supplements and a scale that they could verify the mass of an actual 1/4 tsp vs what they claim it to be? Its a great deal for the supplements in bulk from NP but if I can't get a correct dosage I don't know if I'd really like to reorder from a place that can't account for it. If there is such problems with dosage changing over time, they shouldn't even list how much is in 1/4 a tsp. Thats very misleading.
  9. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.01%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I am not sure I am understanding. You say if you can't get an acurate measurement you don't want to order any more. I thought you had a 50g scale you can use?

Any bulk powder is going to have the same situation as most bulk powders come with a size suggestion and not a scoop. Also the 'standard' teaspoon out of a kitchen draw can actually be any where from 2/3 of a tsp to 1.75 tsp.

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

Not every bulk powder I have, has that problem though as I said. Once again, the bulk ALCAR from NP and beta alanine and citrulline malate from another company both measure out almost exactly right as does several different protein powders.

All I'm saying is that NP shouldn't list a measurement or should give some disclaimer that amounts can vary widely. And as I've said, I've shook and mixed the powders to account for settling so that really shouldn't have much to do with it.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Honestly, buy a scale.
  12. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nelix View Post
    Honestly, buy a scale.
    Honestly read the thread, his first sentence he said he bought a scale.

Onto the topic:

This issue could be a problem and I would like to see someone else take some measurements/weights of the same stuff you did. The few bulks I have gotten seemed to measure fine if my memory serves me correctly.

Crowlers got a point about the spoons, did you use a measure spoon, or a spoon from the kitchen drawer. Also, theoretically, the product could go through drastic temperature and pressure changes from the time you order it to the time it gets to you. First from a nice cool warehouse, to the back of a hot fedex truck, then into a cool fedex sorting building, then onto a plane, then back to a hot fedex truck, etc, you get what Im saying.

Im not in the business, Im just a consumer like you, and I would also like to know what to expect when ordering bulks.
    PHF Anabolic Trinity Epistane, Trenavar, and Mentabolan - Available Now!!
    Celtic Labs-Trestobol, HaloMass, Celitren, Ostabal and more Available Now!!
    PHF Rep/Celtic labs

13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RoadBlocK View Post
    Honestly read the thread, his first sentence he said he bought a scale.

Onto the topic:

This issue could be a problem and I would like to see someone else take some measurements/weights of the same stuff you did. The few bulks I have gotten seemed to measure fine if my memory serves me correctly.

Crowlers got a point about the spoons, did you use a measure spoon, or a spoon from the kitchen drawer. Also, theoretically, the product could go through drastic temperature and pressure changes from the time you order it to the time it gets to you. First from a nice cool warehouse, to the back of a hot fedex truck, then into a cool fedex sorting building, then onto a plane, then back to a hot fedex truck, etc, you get what Im saying.

Im not in the business, Im just a consumer like you, and I would also like to know what to expect when ordering bulks.
    Fair enough.
    Honestly, use a scale.
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.35%

Always weigh your bulk powders. I bought a 100g of bulk cissus from another site and it only weighed out to be 72.8g.
  15. NP Supplement Pimp
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%

Yes, for the most accurate dosing, it is definitely suggested to use a scale on ALL bulk items.

Check out our scales and capping accessories.
    Nice Products, Nice Prices, Nice People, No Problems....NutraPlanet.com!....Welcome to our World!
  16. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Scooping out can also compact the powder. Whether you dig down hard, then scrape the top to make a flat tsp...or simply take a nice easy scoop and brush off the top.

Whatever you do, use the label indication as a GUIDE, then verify with your chosen method of scooping...adjust accordingly then be consistent.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

As long as you received the amount that you ordered and now have a scale to make measure out the appropriate amount you want to use there shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe NP could change the "x tsp = y gm" to "x tsp ~ y gm" on their labels
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  18. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.35%

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Scooping out can also compact the powder. Whether you dig down hard, then scrape the top to make a flat tsp...or simply take a nice easy scoop and brush off the top.

Whatever you do, use the label indication as a GUIDE, then verify with your chosen method of scooping...adjust accordingly then be consistent.
    Very good point!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best gear to take to BULK up. (Gain Weight)
    By Snickes16 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
  2. BUlk UP GAIN WEIGHT
    By gchamp in forum Bulking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2010, 02:37 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 02:59 PM
  4. Want To Bulk Up/Gain Weight?
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 45