*** Canadians ordering from Nutraplanet customs and duties explained***

knightowl

Awards
MODS/Nutra : if you mind this thread being here please inform me and I will edit it and put in a general forum

I have posted some of this in on another board to help out in the calculations . thought Canadians might be interested to get the facts and what do when getting taxed.

Facts
1. Not all packages get inspected. Only 3% (as far as I know ) actually get randomly picked to inspect
2. Declaring a gift on the customs form is not going to "always" exempt you from customs and duties ( it will most of the time)
3. There are no duties on supplements only Taxes (6%)
4. Leaving the value box on the customs form empty is not always going to be a good thing ( if your order is big it will get noticed and its best you declare the actual value)
5. In general smaller orders ( 1-2 items not heavy ) have higher proabability of passing by with no customs' taxes
6. You might get lucky if you order illegal supplements to canada and they pass through customs with no problem, reality is if they find it they will take it !
7. IF UPS or Fedex is used expect customs AND UPS's own fees-> ridiculous amount !!!(I highly recommend USPS no fees other than possibility of taxes ).
8. If UPS duties are paid for earlier by the retailer you will not get taxed or have to pay UPS' fee ( this does not normally happen so ask before)

Here is how customs do there calculations
1. If no price is written in the value box or if the value that is written on the package is unrealistic Customs give their own estimation which is normally much much higher than the actual cost.
2. they charge you 6% tax (GST) on the amount
3. They add $5 for the whole application (i.e. base amount for their estimation plus blah blah work . Their handling of your package basically)
4. They give you a total.

Note: Customs do not "Normally" diffrentiate betweed USD and CDN so it should not be a problem to do the calculations
*Edit: IT seems that customs are recently differentiating between USD and CDN , the calculations are still the same, just change USD to CDN then do the calculations ( Reported in ON, AB)

-----
Getting a Refund
What to do if customs charges you more than they should have ?( they write the estimated value on top of a form that gets attached to your Package)

1. Pay the fees and make sure to get a receipt (cash or credit if you go pick it up at post office).
2. Ensure you have a receipt from nutraplanet if not get one.
3. tear the customs form off the box ( it is supposed to come off so you can fill out the back).
4. fill out the back with the correct amount and the correct calculations as outlined above.
5. fill out the amount that you should be refunded ( you do not get the $5 back) also provide a brief explanation ( you can write that on the actual retailer receipt) as to what they need to look at so you can make their life easier and hence faster refund.
6. send this form + receipt for paying for customs + proof of how much the supplements cost you to the nearest customs office ( on the back of the form it says where the nearest one is )
7. wait a long time ( 2-4 months )
8. get you refund ! They will send you a government cheque.

Note: even if the package was declared as a gift, I don't think customs actually keeps track of that when they charge you so you can still try to apply for a refund.

Example: you bought supplements worth $200 dollars
customs decide they are worth $500
they will charge you: 6% X 500= $30 + $5 handling fee = $35

But you should be charged:
6% x $200 = $12 + $5 handling fee = $17

so you can demand $35 - $17 = $18 of refund

Note 2: I 've done this twice and I got my refund twice just be patient and if it has been too long (3 months or so) you can call and inquire

Hope this helps in explaining the process, I had to go through this on my own so I thought I'd share it

Last edited:
evoVIII

evoVIII

Awards
Which is why I hate UPS.

Charging just to look and it's never cheap. Declaring gift is definitely suspicious if from a commercial address, I find it works better from international i.e. overseas with ebay purchases. Then again, supplement orders tend to be bulky which is why they are more susceptible to being checked.

Shipping costs are predictable, brokerages fees and customs are not. I didn't know supplements aren't supposed to have duties. Damn I lost a good chunk of change there. I don't mind paying GST at all, since i have to anyways if i bought it locally.

USPS>Fedex>>>>>>>UPS

Madevilz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
not related to taxes, but anyone else find armail shipping slower than economy surface?

mwdonald

Awards
not related to taxes, but anyone else find armail shipping slower than economy surface?
Yeah, about half the time my economy surface orders arrive a day or 2 earlier than the airmail orders. I choose airmail because that's what the deals on shipping during sales include, otherwise I use economy surface.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, about half the time my economy surface orders arrive a day or 2 earlier than the airmail orders. I choose airmail because that's what the deals on shipping during sales include, otherwise I use economy surface.
I use EMS and usually get my stuff from NP in about 5 days.

mwdonald

Awards
I use EMS and usually get my stuff from NP in about 5 days.
I would use this, but my orders are always over 10lbs and it costs a fortune for EMS with heavy orders. Besides I don't mind waiting the extra 3-4 days for the slower shipping.

mwdonald

Awards
Here is how customs do there calculations
1. If no price is written in the value box or if the value that is written on the package is unrealistic Customs give their own estimation which is normally much much higher than the actual cost.
2. they charge you 6% tax (GST) on the amount
3. They add $5 for the whole application (i.e. base amount for their estimation plus blah blah work . Their handling of your package basically)
4. They give you a total.

Note: Customs do not "Normally" diffrentiate betweed USD and CDN so it should not be a problem to do the calculations
If this thread is going to be a "sticky" then I should point out a couple things that knightowl might have missed, based on my experiences.

First, I've been charged PST (along with GST) whenever I have customs fees on my order. I assume these depend on which province the package is being delivered to, so if you're from AB, then there would be no PST.

Second, I have always had customs differentiate between USD and CAD -- they show the exchange rate used on the import form.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
First, I've been charged PST (along with GST) whenever I have customs fees on my order. I assume these depend on which province the package is being delivered to, so if you're from AB, then there would be no PST.
I'm in Ontario and they LOVE PST here. But I have never been charged that when a package has been "handled" just GST.

evoVIII

evoVIII

Awards
My last shipment from nutraplanet was just GST. Which pleasantly surprised me. Which is why I try to take advantage of the shipping specials.

Drzman

Awards
I get charged 20-25$ every time. Isn't there a way for nutra to make unprofessional ebay grade packaging? Ebay stuff never get custom feed.

I dunno. But someone has to stop this madness!

derek4444

Awards
I have never used np but i have ordered from 2 main supplement websites both in the states about 15 times and my orders vary between a few pill bottles to a couple ten pound bags of protien and have never had to pay money (customs fee, gst or pst) when it arrives but it seems canadian customers almost always do if its from np. whats the deal with that?

knightowl

Awards
Second, I have always had customs differentiate between USD and CAD -- they show the exchange rate used on the import form.
Today I received my order from NP and for the first time this happened, after many many packages from the states.

Anybody else been charged PST? if yes which province , in Ontario only GST

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I get charged 20-25$ every time. Isn't there a way for nutra to make unprofessional ebay grade packaging? Ebay stuff never get custom feed.

I dunno. But someone has to stop this madness!
Amen and let it be!

I have never used np but i have ordered from 2 main supplement websites both in the states about 15 times and my orders vary between a few pill bottles to a couple ten pound bags of protien and have never had to pay money (customs fee, gst or pst) when it arrives but it seems canadian customers almost always do if its from np. whats the deal with that?
I bought from and never paid, I bought from NP twice and both times had to pay.:smite:

This time the package had $56.00 worth on it and there was I think $8.00 handling fee, $3.83 PST = $11.83 all together as opposed to ZEROOOOOOOOOOO. :D please lets fix this NP:duel: :dance:

Drzman

Awards
I get customs from ..... too. Must be a Quebec thing =(

MOD EDIT: Please remember what forum you are in. That goes for everyone.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
All of my NP orders make it in 5 days!!!..and never charged any fee's. Amazing customer service!!

getemboi

Awards
Both my orders were from Supreme Muscle (NP's sister site), the first order took 6 business days, from Miami to Vancouver then to me, I didn't have any additional fees to pay.

I just placed my second order and it still hasn't arrived but it's been 5 business days, and already made it through customs (which only took 9 minutes), here are the updates of my current order for those that are interested.

Here is all the updates from USPS in the order I recieved them:

Electronic Shipping Info Received, July 13, 2007
Acceptance, July 16, 2007, 5:14 pm, FAYETTEVILLE, GA 30214
Enroute, July 17, 2007, 4:16 pm, SAN JUAN, PR 00936
International Dispatch, July 17, 2007, 4:17 pm, SAN JUAN
Arrived Abroad, July 19, 2007, 1:44 pm, CANADA
Into Foreign Customs, July 19, 2007, 1:44 pm, CANADA
Out of Foreign Customs, July 19, 2007, 1:53 pm
Your item cleared customs at 1:53 PM on July 19, 2007.

These are the some of the more recent updates from Canada Post:

2007/07/19 13:44 MISSISSAUGA, ON International item has arrived in Canada
2007/07/19 13:46 MISSISSAUGA, ON International item has been sent to Canadian Customs for processing
2007/07/19 13:53 Item was released from Customs and is now with Canada Post for sortation

knightowl

Awards
Awesome, Good luck and hope things go well for you. My last order worth about $500 came from Nutraplanet with no extra charge as well which was great.

Keep us updated

getemboi

Awards
I won't risk making big orders like that, but if I ever do it won't have an PH's in it just to be safe.

knightowl

Awards
I make orders like this because I can save on the shipping ( the older surface shipping was even more savings)