WTF..is up with High PRiced PROTEIN!!!

Wishmaster

Awards
what the hell is up with you guys?

all the protein prices have been jacked up and you dont have anymore good deals!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol

It's called rising costs due to demand, internationally.

Don't count on it changing anytime soon.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea protein isn't getting any cheaper anytime soon lol. You can thank a lot of the big companies like Gatorade swooping up lots of the whey.

Wishmaster

Awards
w GD...it like it happened overnight! ...thats BS!!

nokkT

Awards
Yeah, whey prices are getting pretty ridiculous. Rather disappointing, actually.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks goodness I can get a discount on my protein lol

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
Gatorades "recovery drink" is such a joke. Why wont people just by quality protein instead of that sugary crap.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They aren't the only ones that bought up a lot I vaguely remember Dirk mentioning a few of the companies that did think Pepsi and coke were mentioned also.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I remember back when you could get a 5lb tub of optimum for 39.99....no longer

I try to stick to the blended protein anymore anyways.....

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The price of just about everything is up :(

Roniboney

Awards
recession..................rising prices.When global economy begins to get better the prices will come down.You'll be waiting a good 10 years though

nokkT

Awards
They aren't the only ones that bought up a lot I vaguely remember Dirk mentioning a few of the companies that did think Pepsi and coke were mentioned also.
^^^ this, yes they are doing it too.

Roniboney

Awards
Yeah, I've increased the whole food protein in my diet to compensate. It's getting to a point where it's simply not worth the expense.
Well it depends on your goals.

I have a high metabolism so making homemade shakes are a great way for me to get my kcal in.I'm lucky that the nearest supplement shop has a great brand of whey thats €35 for 5 lbs.That is about $45

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
sam's 5lb muscletech whey is staying pretty consistant

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well it depends on your goals.

I have a high metabolism so making homemade shakes are a great way for me to get my kcal in.I'm lucky that the nearest supplement shop has a great brand of whey thats €35 for 5 lbs.That is about $45
I'm not arguing that whole food is more convenient - I agree with you that protein powder definitely can make things easier. My point is that as the cost of protein rises, it's cost-to-benefit ratio gets weaker and weaker. And in my case, it's gotten too weak to use whey to the same extent to which I'm accustomed.

For years I had the standing rule of not paying more than $6/lb of protein. And for years that was an entirely reasonable limit. Not so anymore - I look at many powders and refuse to purchase simply because of the ridiculous price.

Roniboney

Awards
I'm not arguing that whole food is more convenient - I agree with you that protein powder definitely can make things easier. My point is that as the cost of protein rises, it's cost-to-benefit ratio gets weaker and weaker. And in my case, it's gotten too weak to use whey to the same extent to which I'm accustomed.

For years I had the standing rule of not paying more than $6/lb of protein. And for years that was an entirely reasonable limit. Not so anymore - I look at many powders and refuse to purchase simply because of the ridiculous price.
Thats a fair statement man.I think the difference in minimum wage factors in here greatly.Over here in Ireland we have an €8.75 minimum wage .I myself make over €10 and hour so its really nothing for me to get 3 weeks supply of whey.

I will bring up this though,as a Nutritionist(Dietetics degree coming soon) whole food is superior in most respects to whey.Maybe not in BV but whole foods if you can is the way to go

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I'm with you. It is very overrated. This whole post workout window for carbs and protein is simply bull**** that every single newbie buys into and never evolves beyond that. Whole food protein has increased a great deal as powder has declined consderably in my diet. If you need post workout and or liquid convenience then go with skim milk.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I'm with you. It is very overrated. This whole post workout window for carbs and protein is simply bull**** that every single newbie buys into and never evolves beyond that. Whole food protein has increased a great deal as powder has declined consderably in my diet. If you need post workout and or liquid convenience then go with skim milk.
i work out at 8am, on the work clock at 9am, do not eat till 2pm....the only thing im doing is sipping purple wraath, 2 scoops, during and after my workouts...the lack of whey after workouts has not affected me in any way except more money to spend on other things...

Roniboney

Awards
i work out at 8am, on the work clock at 9am, do not eat till 2pm....the only thing im doing is sipping purple wraath, 2 scoops, during and after my workouts...the lack of whey after workouts has not affected me in any way except more money to spend on other things...
why would it anyway.Its macro's not types of food that will determine your growth.Overall calories not pre or post workout drinks that determine results

A guy I know asked me what kind of protein powder he should take to get big.I responded eat food,drink full fat milk.

He bought a whey powder and said he's gonna get as big as me now.Dude if you only knew the stuff I'm doing atm to get bigger :)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
why would it anyway.Its macro's not types of food that will determine your growth.Overall calories not pre or post workout drinks that determine results

A guy I know asked me what kind of protein powder he should take to get big.I responded eat food,drink full fat milk.

He bought a whey powder and said he's gonna get as big as me now.Dude if you only knew the stuff I'm doing atm to get bigger :)
im very aware of that, i was referring to the "post workout window" post above mine...i very rarely recommend protein as a supplement these days

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it stinks big time...

However, just so everyone here realizes, its not companies just randomly choosing to charge you more. Whey prices have more than doubled in the past 12 months. It sucks for companies just as much as it sucks for individuals.

If you are buying whey at a cheap price now, there are only 2 reasons as to why:

1. Its using old raws(purchased before the massive price increases hit)
2. It does not meet label claims

Anyone see the 5lbs "whey isolate" selling for like $29.99 here? Whey isolate costs $7.50/lbs MINIMUM for the company making the product. That means 5lbs of whey isolate costs $37.50 BEFORE the flavoring, bottle, lid, label, shipping is factored in...

keep buying the cheap stuff, and keep getting ripped off :(

iForce Protean will be available for $46.75 on March 1st here. Top notch quality, and top notch flavor. Can't beat it.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it stinks big time... However, just so everyone here realizes, its not companies just randomly choosing to charge you more. Whey prices have more than doubled in the past 12 months. It sucks for companies just as much as it sucks for individuals.

If you are buying whey at a cheap price now, there are only 2 reasons as to why:

Anyone see the 5lbs "whey isolate" selling for like $29.99 here? Whey isolate costs $7.50/lbs MINIMUM for the company making the product. That means 5lbs of whey isolate costs $37.50 BEFORE the flavoring, bottle, lid, label, shipping is factored in...

iForce Protean will be available for $46.75 on March 1st here. Top notch quality, and top notch flavor. Can't beat it.
I don't think anybody here would advocate a lower quality product, and speaking personally, I'm looking forward to trying both your Thin Mind and Red Velvet proteins.

But I think distributors and manufacturers alike should expect a reduction in protein sales as long as this trend continues. When the market is dominated by huge corporations like Pepsi, smaller companies are gonna suffer in consequence. And the consumer gets shafted no matter what - by either paying exorbitant prices or by purchasing so-called Gatorade Post-Workout garbage.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think anybody here would advocate a lower quality product, and speaking personally, I'm looking forward to trying both your Thin Mind and Red Velvet proteins.

But I think distributors and manufacturers alike should expect a reduction in protein sales as long as this trend continues. When the market is dominated by huge corporations like Pepsi, smaller companies are gonna suffer in consequence. And the consumer gets shafted no matter what - by either paying exorbitant prices or by purchasing so-called Gatorade Post-Workout garbage.
I agree that protein powder usage will decline...nature of the beast.

That being said, even at its current high price, it is still cheaper than buying meat, it tastes better than bland chicken, and is easily made.

Roniboney

Awards
I agree that protein powder usage will decline...nature of the beast.

That being said, even at its current high price, it is still cheaper than buying meat, it tastes better than bland chicken, and is easily made.
No arguments there.Better than egg whites for breakfast

SardonicMedic

SardonicMedic

Awards
I remember back when you could get a 5lb tub of optimum for 39.99....no longer

I try to stick to the blended protein anymore anyways.....
The gigantic glorious bag o' protien was only 60. Nostalgia

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I Guess you need to season your chicken better ;)
LOL for close to 18 months I ate 3-4lbs of chicken breast a day...never failing on a single meal.

Unless chicken is chopped/sliced thinly, i can't stomach it anymore no matter what.

Roniboney

Awards
I cannot stomach oatmeal in milk anymore.In the first 3 years of my lifting career I ate egg and oats for breakfast.Never again.I gotta blend my oats in a shake now for breakfast if I want to have them.

Chicken sucks imo.So much more benefit eating fresh fish instead of it.It is always possible to buy high quality foods for low costs.

Go to the butcher,fishmonger or to a ethnic district.Talk to the manager,explain what you do and ask if they can cut you a break.Over here in Ireland we catch a lot of cod and salmon.I get some pretty good prices for them if I buy 5lbs in one go.Same with beef.Great grass fed beef over here that you can buy with little to no fat.Butcher sends a text out when the meat is done in its hanging process to all of the customers.That lactic acid really makes it melt in the mouth.

Sorry for the rant but its purpose is to show people that meat is accessible for cheap prices.I met this butcher 5 years ago when I was just 18 and my loyalty has helped me to get cheap meat.I'd suggest this route if your thinking of switching to whole foods meals only.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I cannot stomach oatmeal in milk anymore.In the first 3 years of my lifting career I ate egg and oats for breakfast.Never again.I gotta blend my oats in a shake now for breakfast if I want to have them.

Chicken sucks imo.So much more benefit eating fresh fish instead of it.It is always possible to buy high quality foods for low costs.

Go to the butcher,fishmonger or to a ethnic district.Talk to the manager,explain what you do and ask if they can cut you a break.Over here in Ireland we catch a lot of cod and salmon.I get some pretty good prices for them if I buy 5lbs in one go.Same with beef.Great grass fed beef over here that you can buy with little to no fat.Butcher sends a text out when the meat is done in its hanging process to all of the customers.That lactic acid really makes it melt in the mouth.

Sorry for the rant but its purpose is to show people that meat is accessible for cheap prices.I met this butcher 5 years ago when I was just 18 and my loyalty has helped me to get cheap meat.I'd suggest this route if your thinking of switching to whole foods meals only.
You make me want to move to Ireland :lol:

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it stinks big time...

However, just so everyone here realizes, its not companies just randomly choosing to charge you more. Whey prices have more than doubled in the past 12 months. It sucks for companies just as much as it sucks for individuals.

Case in point....

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I see this was mentioned in the latest MF e-letter...

Pricing:
  • Protein - Pricing on protein appears to be stabilized at the present time. The general consensus is that it will stay at current levels and possibly decline a bit as we get into the second quarter of the year. I think prices will probably hold about where they are today. There is some additional capacity of whey protein coming into the market in the second quarter but I am not convinced it will be enough to drop pricing. The good news here is that we should not see more price increases through the year.