Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Banaba 20% Powder (25 grams) By: NutraPlanet

Banaba Powder (20% Corosolic Acid)

What is it?

A medicinal plant native to India, the Philippines, and some other parts of Southeast Asia, the leaves of the Banaba (Lagerstroemia Speciosa) plant have been traditionally used in the treatment of hyperglycemia (excessive blood sugar levels) and the endocrine condition, diabetes mellitus (Type II diabetes, also known as Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus, NIDDM). The main active agent in the Banaba plant is Corosolic Acid, a triterpenoid known to possess anti-diabetic properties expressed in a dose-dependent reduction in blood sugar levels after oral adminsitration. 1 Beyond Corosolic Acid, the Banaba plant also contains tannins that contribute to Banaba's blood-glucose lowering effect.2 Certain Banaba Extract supplements contain specific extracts of these tannins. Banaba's mechanism of action is the activation of specialized glucose transport proteins known as Glucose Transporter 4 (GLUT 4). GLUT 4, a specific isoform of the GLUT transport proteins, is found in skeletal muscle cells, in adipose cells, and in cardiac-muscle cells. Banaba Extract stimulates the translocation of GLUT 4 proteins from the inner cell to the outer or surface cell membrane, inducing the uptake of glucose into skeletal and adipose cells, ultimately leading to the lowering of blood glucose levels. Insulin and exercise also stimulate GLUT 4 activity. Banaba Extract's stimulation of glucose uptake is similar to the action of insulin, yet is independent of insulin levels. Furthermore, Banaba Extract, also appears to inhibit adipocyte differentiation.(3) By acting independently of insulin, Banaba Extract reduces the need for the secretion of insulin, leading to enhanced insulin sensitivity.

For bodybuilders and sports enthusiasts, Banaba Extract is a potent glucose-disposal agent, capable of supporting the feeding of skeletal muscle cells with the glycogen necessary for energy production and for inducing a favourable environment for anabolic activity. Some other health benefits include: antioxidant (4,5) , anti-inflammatory (7), lowers blood pressure (6), promotes weight loss (8-10), control appetite and cravings (8-10), supports kidney function and cardiovascular health (4,5)

How should I take it?

Banaba Extract should be taken 15-30 minutes prior to meals, to allow time for GLUT4 translocation which will greatly enhance glucose uptake by cells. While this powder may not be as unpleasant as other herbals like Yellow Gold, you may wish to cap it using the Complete Capping Kit and a digital scale for accurate dosing. Capsules delay the onset of Banaba’s effects, and should be dosed further in advance of the meal. Density is approx 400mg per 1/4tsp, so an effective dose will fit inside a “00” cap.

Dosing Guidelines:

Although Banaba Extract can be used for meals with modest amounts of carbohydrates (30g), it is particularly useful in situations when large amounts of carbohydrates (60g+) are consumed, such as on reefed days, and before and after workouts. A typical dose would be 300-400mg of the 20% extract for 60-80g of carbohydrates. For carb intakes greater than 60-80g, add approx. an extra 100mg of powder for every 20g carbohydrates. It is effective for both simple and complex carbohydrates.

Sample Dosing Schedule:

i) Solid Meal

6:40 am: 500mg 20% Banaba
7:00 am: Cooked Oats, Berries, Milk & Protein Powder (Yielding 100g Carbs)
8:00 Workout

ii) Shake

6:40 am: 500mg 20% Banaba
7:00 am: 50g Dextrose, 50g Maltodextrin, Whey Protein Isolate
7:30 am: Workout

Caution: Banaba Extract may lower your blood sugar levels farther than desired if too much is taken, similar to a condition known as hypoglycemia. Symptoms include light-headedness, fatigue/dizziness, and hunger. While low blood sugar can have certain benefits and desired by some users, if you are uncomfortable with it you can take some simple sugars immediately to help restore your blood glucose levels to normal. It is recommended that you start your dosage at the lower range of recommended doses to assess your tolerance before increasing your dosage to suit your individual needs.

This product can be used in combination with Yellow Gold and Na-RALA Nutracaps to provide improved glucose control throughout the day.

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sweet, added 2 to my cart :)

you are officially on my Amspace top 8 now hahaha

Banaba Extract should be taken 15-30 minutes prior to meals, to allow time for GLUT4 translocation which will greatly enhance glucose uptake by cells. While this powder may not be as unpleasant as other herbals like Yellow Gold, you may wish to cap it using the Complete Capping Kit and a digital scale for accurate dosing. Capsules delay the onset of Banaba’s effects, and should be dosed further in advance of the meal. Density is approx 400mg per 1/4tsp, so an effective dose will fit inside a “00” cap.

Great write up.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
be careful with this one!!! ......20% CA is extremely potent!

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Curious as to the dosage protocol one would follow when used in concert with Yellow Gold?? Thinking of ordering the two.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Curious as to the dosage protocol one would follow when used in concert with Yellow Gold?? Thinking of ordering the two.
I plan on writing up a YG protocol. I would use the 20% Banaba with your biggest carb meal, so the pre or post. Then use ~1g of YG 2-3x/day , ~20 mins before your other meals (preferable containing carbs). This will help keep the enhanced nutrient uptake all day long, and the YG (berberine) has lipolytic effects as well.

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
I plan on writing up a YG protocol. I would use the PSlin with your biggest carb meal, so the pre or post. Then use ~1g of YG 2-3x/day , ~20 mins before your other meals (preferable containing carbs). This will help keep the enhanced nutrient uptake all day long, and the YG (berberine) has lipolytic effects as well.
Pslin??? You mean Banaba??

M

MHA

Awards
  • Established
So bulk pslin is banaba right? I think 1 time I read that bulk pslin was missing the gymnema extract right? So NP'z 20% so what's bulk pslin'z %? 20% right??? So its just about the same right?

rob561

rob561

Awards
  • Established
So bulk pslin is banaba right? I think 1 time I read that bulk pslin was missing the gymnema extract right? So NP'z 20% so what's bulk pslin'z %? 20% right??? So its just about the same right?

bulk pslin is 10% CA i believe.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Edited, sorry. Sometimes my head and fingers aren't on the same page.

Bulk PSlin uses a specific extract, which Jacob has stated is extracted for certain tannins as well, so I can't make a direct comparison although the 10% CA content was stated by them. I have been using 20% for several months and have been happy with the results; I typically use ~300mg.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
About time:D Any chance we can get these capped on the nutra line? I don't have a prob capping just figuring I'd ask for those who do

G

gmc4180

Awards
  • Established
BUMP. Guys, any opinions on the taste? (Compared to BULK P-SLIN) I used to mix P-Slin in my oatmeal and couldn't even tell it was there. thanks!

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BUMP. Guys, any opinions on the taste? (Compared to BULK P-SLIN) I used to mix P-Slin in my oatmeal and couldn't even tell it was there. thanks!
Well up until now, I've always capped mine. But I figured I'd give it a little taste test; Alright, hmmm, that's not bad at all. Trying to think of what tastes like that... Ugh, much better than Grape Seed (That stuff is biiiitter!). Euch , not like Green Tea. Better than coleus... OK I'm stopping now. I was enjoying my cinnamon gum too!

Man, just downed 1/2 sc. Cinnabun to wash that out. The verdict: 20% tastes very lightly herbal, not bad at all. Definitely wouldn't be bad in a shake. Just don't OD guys , this stuff is potent :) 1/4 tsp (400mg) will be plenty to start with.

G

gmc4180

Awards
  • Established
Well up until now, I've always capped mine. But I figured I'd give it a little taste test; Alright, hmmm, that's not bad at all. Trying to think of what tastes like that... Ugh, much better than Grape Seed (That stuff is biiiitter!). Euch , not like Green Tea. Better than coleus... OK I'm stopping now. I was enjoying my cinnamon gum too!

Man, just downed 1/2 sc. Cinnabun to wash that out. The verdict: 20% tastes very lightly herbal, not bad at all. Definitely wouldn't be bad in a shake. Just don't OD guys , this stuff is potent :) 1/4 tsp (400mg) will be plenty to start with.
Nice! If it could be masked with ATW Cinnabon, that's perfect. :yup: I think I'll be alternating this with Glycobol. (Breakfast - Glycobol / Lunch - Bulk Banaba / Dinner - Glycobol)

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice! If it could be masked with ATW Cinnabon, that's perfect. :yup: I think I'll be alternating this with Glycobol. (Breakfast - Glycobol / Lunch - Bulk Banaba / Dinner - Glycobol)
Let me know how manageable the taste is for you; perhaps I'm desensitized but I think you should be fine :dunno:

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why not cap it.. if the competitor's product is extracted for other special tannins? If that is the case, there is no comparison... am I wrong?

Adams

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Never tried bulk P-slin but 1/8 teaspoon of the Banaba with 1/8 teaspoon of Yellow Gold in a shot glass with some juice isn't that bad. Follow with some gum or a strong breath mint and the after taste goes away quickly. Doing this twice daily 30 minutes before my first two meals and I'm noticing it big time. The feelings are similar but stronger than AP for me anyway. Combined with Ultima, ONE and Trinitine and I'm f*cking fantastic. :D

G

gmc4180

Awards
  • Established
Never tried bulk P-slin but 1/8 teaspoon of the Banaba with 1/8 teaspoon of Yellow Gold in a shot glass with some juice isn't that bad. Follow with some gum or a strong breath mint and the after taste goes away quickly. Doing this twice daily 30 minutes before my first two meals and I'm noticing it big time. The feelings are similar but stronger than AP for me anyway. Combined with Ultima, ONE and Trinitine and I'm f*cking fantastic. :D
Nicce DTrain. As you may know I'm currently on ULTIMA/Trinitine. (And I'm never cycling off, you can't make me!!) :aargh: :D Wait till you see my 3 month progress pics.

I think taking ULTIMA preworkout and Glycobol/Banaba post workout/pre-dinner will be a sick combo!

G

gmc4180

Awards
  • Established
Let me know how manageable the taste is for you; perhaps I'm desensitized but I think you should be fine :dunno:
If it's in any way comparable to P-Slin it will be fine. I regularly put 1/2 teaspoon in my oatmeal or shake and barely noticed a change in flavor, if at all

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why not cap it.. if the competitor's product is extracted for other special tannins? If that is the case, there is no comparison... am I wrong?

Adams
Better yet, if something is being extracted for special tannins, then the tannins extracted should be listed on the product. If something is not listed, then nobody should be butt hurt about it. Cap it... and send it to me!

Adams

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Nicce DTrain. As you may know I'm currently on ULTIMA/Trinitine. (And I'm never cycling off, you can't make me!!) :aargh: :D Wait till you see my 3 month progress pics.

I think taking ULTIMA preworkout and Glycobol/Banaba post workout/pre-dinner will be a sick combo!
I think you're correct. :D

D

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to cap this so I can bring a dose with me to work. Is one 00 cap 400mg ? or do I need to get a scale and measure it out

Also am I correct in 400mg before carb meals so in my case 1 cap possibly 3 x a day

Thanks again

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to cap this so I can bring a dose with me to work. Is one 00 cap 400mg ? or do I need to get a scale and measure it out

Also am I correct in 400mg before carb meals so in my case 1 cap possibly 3 x a day

Thanks again
400mg is a dose for say 80-100g of carbs. If your meal is smaller, consider taking a lower dose, or using Yellow Gold for that meal. I use about ~350mg with my PreWO large carb meal of oats + berries, providing around 70-90g Carbs.

The density was given to me by Sam as 1/4=400mg. However the 20% CA from this batch is still won't reach me until Sunday so that I can confirm that for you. There should be a density on the side of the packaging though. A "00" cap fits approx 1/4 tsp.

S

samva777

Awards
Are you sure its 20% I have a bottle from a major supplier and it is 2% huge difference ?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Tastes like graham cracker to me. No problem not capping it.

D

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
400mg is a dose for say 80-100g of carbs. If your meal is smaller, consider taking a lower dose, or using Yellow Gold for that meal. I use about ~350mg with my PreWO large carb meal of oats + berries, providing around 70-90g Carbs.

The density was given to me by Sam as 1/4=400mg. However the 20% CA from this batch is still won't reach me until Sunday so that I can confirm that for you. There should be a density on the side of the packaging though. A "00" cap fits approx 1/4 tsp.
OK I got mine today and cap them (first time) wasnt to bad at all. Thats to those that helped me out getting me off the fence about capping

Question

I used 00 caps and I packed them down 3 times. Is that the correct way to make sure I got the 1/4 tsp. I beleive it is as I measured 1/4 into one cap and had to pack it in to fit it all and it was alittle below surface when filled with 1/4

So when capping the 50 I packed these until they were about the same height (little below surface) as my measured one

Thanks again

D

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
Sounds right; here's how to check. Get 10 empty caps, weigh them. Tare Scale. Get 10 full caps, weight them. Divide by 10, you got the amt per cap.
Ok I came up with a little over 3.5 grams so that would be 350mg a cap avg so guess I was a little short of the 400 but right in the middle of a typical dose 300-400mg .

So Think I'm good with the first 50 just need to add alittle more next time

Thanks again for your time and help

D

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
OK quick math

If we cap them at 400mg each and the tub is 25 grams that would be aprox 62 caps per bottle? Math seems right but for some reason I ended up with more and I had weighed it on a scale. SO trying to figure it out

Thanks

D

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
Thanks !
I just figured it out first batch I did, I didn’t have a scale I did it by how full the cap was and once I got my scale I found they were only 300mg ea.

Somehow that slipped my mind.. Ok Math is still an exact science lol : )

Was driving myself mad trying to figure it out

D

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
Thanks again Steveo

Another question for you. When will Nutra have more in stock ? Any eta as of yet

I did check the ETA thread but didnt see it listed

Thanks again

M

Mars1107

Where did you get that COA from... it is dated back in 08... there is no lab markings, and its not a scan?

Adams
bump on info for the COA,

back in 08, still means its good until 10

but so, its cheap because its a little old perhaps?

its much cheaper, almost twice as cheap as bulk p-slin, of course only regarding based on its corsolic acid content, 20 vs 10, and you get 25 grams with both.

so who would not buy np CA at that price???

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
bump on info for the COA,

back in 08, still means its good until 10

but so, its cheap because its a little old perhaps?

its much cheaper, almost twice as cheap as bulk p-slin, of course only regarding based on its corsolic acid content, 20 vs 10, and you get 25 grams with both.

so who would not buy np CA at that price???
I think you miss judged why I asked that question. I asked because if it was just hitting NP shelves, then I figured China did the testing, and we all know how china is with their CoA's. Using a CoA china gives you is like taking a drug dealers advice before your buy a kilo of coke. That is why I raised a concern before picking anything up.

Adams

G

Let’s not forget Bulk Pslin is also specifically extracted for Tannic acid which is a VERY important component for the anti obesity effect of banaba to favor muscular glucose disposal by hindering fat accumulation.

Our extract is possibly from the same supplier but we ship ours to India for final extraction(where all our extractions are now done in house).

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Let’s not forget Bulk Pslin is also specifically extracted for Tannic acid which is a VERY important component for the anti obesity effect of banaba to favor muscular glucose disposal by hindering fat accumulation.

Our extract is possibly from the same supplier but we ship ours to India for final extraction(where all our extractions are now done in house).
MMMmmmm... Tannic Acid... nothing like some wood stain in your daily supplementation.

Do you have something showing a higher content in P-Slin than say this 20% CA extract?

Adams

M

Mars1107

Iv already through almost two bottle of bulk p-slin, so i let u know how the np bulk compares:006:

M

Mars1107

I think you miss judged why I asked that question. I asked because if it was just hitting NP shelves, then I figured China did the testing, and we all know how china is with their CoA's. Using a CoA china gives you is like taking a drug dealers advice before your buy a kilo of coke. That is why I raised a concern before picking anything up.

Adams
Yeah i dont trust china either, but that pretty much where everysupplement company gets everything.

G

Yeah i dont trust china either, but that pretty much where everysupplement company gets everything.
You have to give loyalty to a supplier and not jump suppliers because it is a few dollars cheaper.

Good people in china but a lot of middlemen and con men.

G

MMMmmmm... Tannic Acid... nothing like some wood stain in your daily supplementation.

Do you have something showing a higher content in P-Slin than say this 20% CA extract?

Adams
Yea exactly why it was included, bingo. PSLIN corosolic is between 10-12 percent.