Propranolol

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Propranolol

I picked some up based on feedback on some threads here and talking to some of the people I have a great amount of admiration for their ability to speak in large groups. I had 3 very high profile meetings with groups ranging from 20-100 people today, all at the executive level over the last two days so I decided to take 20mg yesterday and today.

All I can say is that this is hands down the closest thing to fabled NZT that I have ever experienced. Thoughts come rapidly, you place them exactly where they need to go, and you present in a manner unlike anything ever experienced. I handled a 45 min Q+A like I was talking to 5 year olds, on topics I generally have little in-depth knowledge of, but I was able to pull from what I know and talk about it like an expert. My mind was and still is (10 hours later) firing on all cylinders and I just want to go talk to people about...anything.

Never in my professional career have I felt more comfortable and on-point speaking to a group of people. This stuff is the most incredible thing I may have ever taken for memory, speech, and confidence.

2. I've thought about giving that a try. My mom and brother are both on it for anxiety and essential tremor. Any affect on mood?
    •   

3. Yes, it was very alpha and it lifted my mood, but didn’t necessarily make me feel happy. It just made me feel very calm and confident. I normally am that way, but this is much more. Lasted about 10 hours and no sides in the 2 days.

It will be sparingly that I use it. I think for really special times where you just have to nail it, this would be perfect.

4. So glad to hear it worked for you! It's been a life-saver for me on many occassions.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

5. Isn’t this a beta-blocker? How does it work as a nootropic?
    •   

6. I am prescribed atenolol for the same reason which is also a beta blocker. Works like a charm!

The first time I used it was before a presentation in college. My instructor told me it was the best presentation of anyone else in the class. A year or two after, we crossed paths where I work. She tried to recruit me to join the faculty as she said I was a natural at teaching. I declined the offer because I would have had to go back to school to qualify for the position. I already have 8 years of college behind my belt so I am done with that! I digress..

Point being, nothing is better than beta blockers for presentation anxiety...

7. I used to get red in the face, speak way too rapidly and lose my breath. Heart racing, sweating...you name it...

It’s an awful feeling. I used to dread presentations for months ahead of time when I knew one was coming up. Now I know I can handle it with ease and I don’t obsess over it. It’s a lifesaver!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Voldyne View Post
    I used to get red in the face, speak way too rapidly and lose my breath. Heart racing, sweating...you name it...

It’s an awful feeling. I used to dread presentations for months ahead of time when I knew one was coming up. Now I know I can handle it with ease and I don’t obsess over it. It’s a lifesaver!
    Hmmm...that's exactly what happens to me. I can usually avoid most presentations at work but at the same time know it's hurting my chances of advancing.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jarrellt67 View Post
    Hmmm...that's exactly what happens to me. I can usually avoid most presentations at work but at the same time know it's hurting my chances of advancing.
    Oh dude, for real...it’s like magic. Even without insurance I think the beta blockers are dirt cheap. My doc gives me like 100 pills and they last me years...

10. Quote Originally Posted by jarrellt67 View Post
    Improvement in your ability to present, whether it be content or yourself, will always help your career.

11. Quote Originally Posted by h968042 View Post
    Isn’t this a beta-blocker? How does it work as a nootropic?
    When you remove all anxiety, you can think clearly and your ability to socialize and remember is dramatically improved. These are results that most people look for in noots, so while not thought of traditionally, it absolutely fits the bill.

Much like Aniracetam, which is my go to speech noot. The anxiolytic property is why you take it. On a 1-10 scale I would put Ani at a 6-7 which is great for someone like myself that doesn’t have high anxiety, but wants an edge in these situations. Propranolol is an 11 on that scale. You could address the nation naked and not care. It’s special.

12. Quote Originally Posted by jarrellt67 View Post
    I would highly recommend looking into a beta-blocker like propranolol then. I've actually found that it helped build my confidence in public speaking as I got more experience and realized that I don't always even need it now. Something to consider for sure. Best man speech, PhD defense, courtroom appearance, client meetings and pitches. I've used it successfully for all of those.
    ***PES Representative***

13. "Mean SAT scores with beta-blockade were 130 points higher than on the initial SAT done before entering the study without medication (p = less than .01). A single dose of propranolol immediately before the SAT permitted improved performance in students prone to cognitive dysfunction due to test anxiety."

In one study it boosted SAT scores 130 points! Every healthy kid should consider taking this to max their scores.

14. Quote Originally Posted by NeuroTropic View Post
    "Mean SAT scores with beta-blockade were 130 points higher than on the initial SAT done before entering the study without medication (p = less than .01). A single dose of propranolol immediately before the SAT permitted improved performance in students prone to cognitive dysfunction due to test anxiety."

In one study it boosted SAT scores 130 points! Every healthy kid should consider taking this to max their scores.
    Or we find a better way to test kids. I'm all for the benefits of pharmaceuticals, but caution in still developing kids.
    ***PES Representative***

15. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Or we find a better way to test kids. I'm all for the benefits of pharmaceuticals, but caution in still developing kids.
    One dose isn't going to hurt a teenager. Why not maximize their test scores? If you could raise your scores for any test without cheating you should do it to get ahead.

16. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10511436

Improved problem solving in some studies.

"normal subjects undertook three problem solving tasks (number series, shape manipulation and anagrams) 45 min after propranolol, placebo and ephedrine. On the task that appeared to rely most heavily on cognitive flexibility (anagrams), subjects who were most able to solve these problems demonstrated significantly shorter solution times (logarithmic scores) after propranolol than after ephedrine. This suggested that the noradrenergic system exerts a modulatory effect on cognitive flexibility in problem solving."

17. Quote Originally Posted by NeuroTropic View Post
    One dose isn't going to hurt a teenager. Why not maximize their test scores? If you could raise your scores for any test without cheating you should do it to get ahead.
    If you don't want to call that cheating, you are no longer testing the actual ability of the child. That's not a scientifically thought out method at all.

Also, please show me a teenager in the history of forever that is only going to take a pill once that you tell them helps them do something better.
    ***PES Representative***

18. Quote Originally Posted by Voldyne View Post
    I am prescribed atenolol for the same reason which is also a beta blocker. Works like a charm!

The first time I used it was before a presentation in college. My instructor told me it was the best presentation of anyone else in the class. A year or two after, we crossed paths where I work. She tried to recruit me to join the faculty as she said I was a natural at teaching. I declined the offer because I would have had to go back to school to qualify for the position. I already have 8 years of college behind my belt so I am done with that! I digress..

Point being, nothing is better than beta blockers for presentation anxiety...
    What dose Atenolol? I have some that I have used before speeches as well but it never seemed to help.

A low dose of Klonopin helps calm me, but makes it difficult to put thoughts together so that doesn't help any.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    If you don't want to call that cheating, you are no longer testing the actual ability of the child. That's not a scientifically thought out method at all.

Also, please show me a teenager in the history of forever that is only going to take a pill once that you tell them helps them do something better.
    If I was a teen I would want to maximize my potential. Why would someone not take something that can be safety used to score higher on tests and improve their odds for success.

Taking it before major tests I don't see any issue with it. I mean if it's going to make the difference between a passing grade or getting an A don't see any reason not to do so.

I have some right here I should try out. It's really cheap.

20. Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    What dose Atenolol? I have some that I have used before speeches as well but it never seemed to help.

A low dose of Klonopin helps calm me, but makes it difficult to put thoughts together so that doesn't help any.
    Atenolol is a cardio tissue selective beta blocker so unlike prop it doesnt't effect the adrenals and brain.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    I would highly recommend looking into a beta-blocker like propranolol then. I've actually found that it helped build my confidence in public speaking as I got more experience and realized that I don't always even need it now. Something to consider for sure. Best man speech, PhD defense, courtroom appearance, client meetings and pitches. I've used it successfully for all of those.
    Sounds perfect. My only worry (and the reason I had asked about any affects on mood) is that calming supplements (ashwagandha, phenibut, theanine, etc) tend to greatly increase my depression too.

22. Quote Originally Posted by NeuroTropic View Post
    Atenolol is a cardio tissue selective beta blocker so unlike prop it doesnt't effect the adrenals and brain.
    That makes sense, I got it for palpitations. I took 25mg before my presentation this week and noticed nothing from it.

23. Quote Originally Posted by jarrellt67 View Post
    Sounds perfect. My only worry (and the reason I had asked about any affects on mood) is that calming supplements (ashwagandha, phenibut, theanine, etc) tend to greatly increase my depression too.
    This isn't a supplement and doesn't work like that. Primarily it's going to help reduce your heart from racing and blood pressure going up when you get nervous. Many people get anxiety, which causes their heart rate to increase, which then causes them to get more anxious and the cycle gets worse. Beta-blockers help break that cycle, so any effects on mood are mostly indirect. You feel better because you're doing something that tends to make you anxious, but now you're not anxious.

It is something you would need a prescription for though.
    ***PES Representative***

24. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    This isn't a supplement and doesn't work like that. Primarily it's going to help reduce your heart from racing and blood pressure going up when you get nervous. Many people get anxiety, which causes their heart rate to increase, which then causes them to get more anxious and the cycle gets worse. Beta-blockers help break that cycle, so any effects on mood are mostly indirect. You feel better because you're doing something that tends to make you anxious, but now you're not anxious.

That does sound perfect. I thought about asking my doctor for it my last visit...but then forgot while there. My mom has offered to let me try some of hers. I'll probably take her up on the offer now.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post

You can buy it online for $8 without a script.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Propranolol
    By Juicedeez utz in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2017, 11:01 AM