Propranolol

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I picked some up based on feedback on some threads here and talking to some of the people I have a great amount of admiration for their ability to speak in large groups. I had 3 very high profile meetings with groups ranging from 20-100 people today, all at the executive level over the last two days so I decided to take 20mg yesterday and today.

All I can say is that this is hands down the closest thing to fabled NZT that I have ever experienced. Thoughts come rapidly, you place them exactly where they need to go, and you present in a manner unlike anything ever experienced. I handled a 45 min Q+A like I was talking to 5 year olds, on topics I generally have little in-depth knowledge of, but I was able to pull from what I know and talk about it like an expert. My mind was and still is (10 hours later) firing on all cylinders and I just want to go talk to people about...anything.

Never in my professional career have I felt more comfortable and on-point speaking to a group of people. This stuff is the most incredible thing I may have ever taken for memory, speech, and confidence.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've thought about giving that a try. My mom and brother are both on it for anxiety and essential tremor. Any affect on mood?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, it was very alpha and it lifted my mood, but didn’t necessarily make me feel happy. It just made me feel very calm and confident. I normally am that way, but this is much more. Lasted about 10 hours and no sides in the 2 days.

It will be sparingly that I use it. I think for really special times where you just have to nail it, this would be perfect.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So glad to hear it worked for you! It's been a life-saver for me on many occassions.

h968042

Awards
Isn’t this a beta-blocker? How does it work as a nootropic?

Voldyne

Awards
I am prescribed atenolol for the same reason which is also a beta blocker. Works like a charm!

The first time I used it was before a presentation in college. My instructor told me it was the best presentation of anyone else in the class. A year or two after, we crossed paths where I work. She tried to recruit me to join the faculty as she said I was a natural at teaching. I declined the offer because I would have had to go back to school to qualify for the position. I already have 8 years of college behind my belt so I am done with that! I digress..

Point being, nothing is better than beta blockers for presentation anxiety...

Voldyne

Awards
I used to get red in the face, speak way too rapidly and lose my breath. Heart racing, sweating...you name it...

It’s an awful feeling. I used to dread presentations for months ahead of time when I knew one was coming up. Now I know I can handle it with ease and I don’t obsess over it. It’s a lifesaver!

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to get red in the face, speak way too rapidly and lose my breath. Heart racing, sweating...you name it...

It’s an awful feeling. I used to dread presentations for months ahead of time when I knew one was coming up. Now I know I can handle it with ease and I don’t obsess over it. It’s a lifesaver!
Hmmm...that's exactly what happens to me. I can usually avoid most presentations at work but at the same time know it's hurting my chances of advancing.

Voldyne

Awards
Hmmm...that's exactly what happens to me. I can usually avoid most presentations at work but at the same time know it's hurting my chances of advancing.
Oh dude, for real...it’s like magic. Even without insurance I think the beta blockers are dirt cheap. My doc gives me like 100 pills and they last me years...

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Improvement in your ability to present, whether it be content or yourself, will always help your career.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Isn’t this a beta-blocker? How does it work as a nootropic?
When you remove all anxiety, you can think clearly and your ability to socialize and remember is dramatically improved. These are results that most people look for in noots, so while not thought of traditionally, it absolutely fits the bill.

Much like Aniracetam, which is my go to speech noot. The anxiolytic property is why you take it. On a 1-10 scale I would put Ani at a 6-7 which is great for someone like myself that doesn’t have high anxiety, but wants an edge in these situations. Propranolol is an 11 on that scale. You could address the nation naked and not care. It’s special.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would highly recommend looking into a beta-blocker like propranolol then. I've actually found that it helped build my confidence in public speaking as I got more experience and realized that I don't always even need it now. Something to consider for sure. Best man speech, PhD defense, courtroom appearance, client meetings and pitches. I've used it successfully for all of those.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
"Mean SAT scores with beta-blockade were 130 points higher than on the initial SAT done before entering the study without medication (p = less than .01). A single dose of propranolol immediately before the SAT permitted improved performance in students prone to cognitive dysfunction due to test anxiety."

In one study it boosted SAT scores 130 points! Every healthy kid should consider taking this to max their scores.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
"Mean SAT scores with beta-blockade were 130 points higher than on the initial SAT done before entering the study without medication (p = less than .01). A single dose of propranolol immediately before the SAT permitted improved performance in students prone to cognitive dysfunction due to test anxiety."

In one study it boosted SAT scores 130 points! Every healthy kid should consider taking this to max their scores.
Or we find a better way to test kids. I'm all for the benefits of pharmaceuticals, but caution in still developing kids.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
Or we find a better way to test kids. I'm all for the benefits of pharmaceuticals, but caution in still developing kids.
One dose isn't going to hurt a teenager. Why not maximize their test scores? If you could raise your scores for any test without cheating you should do it to get ahead.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10511436

Improved problem solving in some studies.

"normal subjects undertook three problem solving tasks (number series, shape manipulation and anagrams) 45 min after propranolol, placebo and ephedrine. On the task that appeared to rely most heavily on cognitive flexibility (anagrams), subjects who were most able to solve these problems demonstrated significantly shorter solution times (logarithmic scores) after propranolol than after ephedrine. This suggested that the noradrenergic system exerts a modulatory effect on cognitive flexibility in problem solving."

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
One dose isn't going to hurt a teenager. Why not maximize their test scores? If you could raise your scores for any test without cheating you should do it to get ahead.
If you don't want to call that cheating, you are no longer testing the actual ability of the child. That's not a scientifically thought out method at all.

Also, please show me a teenager in the history of forever that is only going to take a pill once that you tell them helps them do something better.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am prescribed atenolol for the same reason which is also a beta blocker. Works like a charm!

The first time I used it was before a presentation in college. My instructor told me it was the best presentation of anyone else in the class. A year or two after, we crossed paths where I work. She tried to recruit me to join the faculty as she said I was a natural at teaching. I declined the offer because I would have had to go back to school to qualify for the position. I already have 8 years of college behind my belt so I am done with that! I digress..

Point being, nothing is better than beta blockers for presentation anxiety...
What dose Atenolol? I have some that I have used before speeches as well but it never seemed to help.

A low dose of Klonopin helps calm me, but makes it difficult to put thoughts together so that doesn't help any.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
If you don't want to call that cheating, you are no longer testing the actual ability of the child. That's not a scientifically thought out method at all.

Also, please show me a teenager in the history of forever that is only going to take a pill once that you tell them helps them do something better.
If I was a teen I would want to maximize my potential. Why would someone not take something that can be safety used to score higher on tests and improve their odds for success.

Taking it before major tests I don't see any issue with it. I mean if it's going to make the difference between a passing grade or getting an A don't see any reason not to do so.

I have some right here I should try out. It's really cheap.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
What dose Atenolol? I have some that I have used before speeches as well but it never seemed to help.

A low dose of Klonopin helps calm me, but makes it difficult to put thoughts together so that doesn't help any.
Atenolol is a cardio tissue selective beta blocker so unlike prop it doesnt't effect the adrenals and brain.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would highly recommend looking into a beta-blocker like propranolol then. I've actually found that it helped build my confidence in public speaking as I got more experience and realized that I don't always even need it now. Something to consider for sure. Best man speech, PhD defense, courtroom appearance, client meetings and pitches. I've used it successfully for all of those.
Sounds perfect. My only worry (and the reason I had asked about any affects on mood) is that calming supplements (ashwagandha, phenibut, theanine, etc) tend to greatly increase my depression too.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Atenolol is a cardio tissue selective beta blocker so unlike prop it doesnt't effect the adrenals and brain.
That makes sense, I got it for palpitations. I took 25mg before my presentation this week and noticed nothing from it.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sounds perfect. My only worry (and the reason I had asked about any affects on mood) is that calming supplements (ashwagandha, phenibut, theanine, etc) tend to greatly increase my depression too.
This isn't a supplement and doesn't work like that. Primarily it's going to help reduce your heart from racing and blood pressure going up when you get nervous. Many people get anxiety, which causes their heart rate to increase, which then causes them to get more anxious and the cycle gets worse. Beta-blockers help break that cycle, so any effects on mood are mostly indirect. You feel better because you're doing something that tends to make you anxious, but now you're not anxious.

It is something you would need a prescription for though.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This isn't a supplement and doesn't work like that. Primarily it's going to help reduce your heart from racing and blood pressure going up when you get nervous. Many people get anxiety, which causes their heart rate to increase, which then causes them to get more anxious and the cycle gets worse. Beta-blockers help break that cycle, so any effects on mood are mostly indirect. You feel better because you're doing something that tends to make you anxious, but now you're not anxious.

It is something you would need a prescription for though.
That does sound perfect. I thought about asking my doctor for it my last visit...but then forgot while there. My mom has offered to let me try some of hers. I'll probably take her up on the offer now.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is a licensed pharmacy. I would recommend it.
Enjoy the loophole while it lasts. People like you who exploit drugs meant to help people and give them to everyone, including kids, is what gives pharmacology a bad name and make it harder for actual patients in need. The ability to google might help you fool people online about what you actual "know", but it's no match for actual lab and clinical experience.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
Enjoy the loophole while it lasts. People like you who exploit drugs meant to help people and give them to everyone, including kids, is what gives pharmacology a bad name and make it harder for actual patients in need. The ability to google might help you fool people online about what you actual "know", but it's no match for actual lab and clinical experience.
Enjoy helping people who want to better themselves? I do everyday. Thanks. Everyone should benefit from research. If something is safe and effective there's little reason not to try something to improve yourself or enhance yourself.

You have no idea what you're beginning to talk about. People should be able to access whatever they need for treating themselves and improving their health. Millions suffer and die in the US because of restrictions on access to various treatments.

Most doctors are salesmen ineffectively treating patients with outdated research and palliative approaches. Patients should never blindly trust their doctors. They should make their own decision based on research.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Enjoy helping people who want to better themselves? I do everyday. Thanks. Everyone should benefit from research. If something is safe and effective there's little reason not to try something to improve yourself or enhance yourself.

You have no idea what you're beginning to talk about. People should be able to access whatever they need for treating themselves and improving their health. Millions suffer and die in the US because of restrictions on access to various treatments.

Most doctors are salesmen ineffectively treating patients with outdated research and palliative approaches. Patients should never blindly trust their doctors. They should make their own decision based on research.
Googling isn't research. The fact that you're regurgitating the typical crap about big bad pharma and doctors being salesmen clearly tells me you have no actual idea how the medical profession works and are getting your information off of the internet. Any realible physician will tell you to always get a second opinion, but online "experts" who have no real world experience and tell you to not trust physicians, but to trust them are complete frauds.

Beta-blockers are low risk, but not without side effects as no medication is. There is a huge difference between suggesting somebody discuss the potential for use with their physician who knows what their existing conditions and treatments are and blindly telling people that there is a one-size-fits-all answer.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
Googling isn't research. The fact that you're regurgitating the typical crap about big bad pharma and doctors being salesmen clearly tells me you have no actual idea how the medical profession works and are getting your information off of the internet. Any realible physician will tell you to always get a second opinion, but online "experts" who have no real world experience and tell you to not trust physicians, but to trust them are complete frauds.

Beta-blockers are low risk, but not without side effects as no medication is. There is a huge difference between suggesting somebody discuss the potential for use with their physician who knows what their existing conditions and treatments are and blindly telling people that there is a one-size-fits-all answer.
I didn't suggest people google.

I've worked in the medical industry and have an M.D. on my staff so I'm quite familiar.

Nothing is risk free going to the gym is a risk in hurting yourself. Many people die everyday of Tylenol yet doctors recommend it all the same. Breathing in gasoline vapor at the gas station, playing very loud music, eating fast food, etc all these things can damage us and typically do in the long run much more than taking a nootropic or drug to improve your test scores or reduce anxiety prior to a performance. Either the risk is worth the payoff or it's not. Only one way to find out and it may change your life for the better dramatically. Or you never try it and miss out on a vastly improved life.

Voldyne

Awards

My PCP told me it works best to take a dose approximatley 12-20 hrs before the actual presentation. In my case, I take 25mg at least 12 hrs before the event. I then take an additional 12.5mg approximately 2 hrs before the actual presentation.

Interesting that Inderal is probably more beneficial due to its ability to cross the BBB. I probably have a favorable outcome due to atenolols’ ability to keep my heart rate in check. Increased heart rate equals increased anxiety and shortness of breath. With these symptoms kept at bay, I am able to just focus on what I am trying to present to my audience instead of these overwhelming outside symptoms of anxiety.

As well as atenolol has worked for me, I will most likely request a trial of Inderal as it seems to be the preferred choice for these purposes..

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I left a message for my doctor trying to get a prescription for this without an office visit, the receptionist seemed to think there was no way he would with a new medication but he has done it for me before. I'd like to get it within a day or two to try out for my finals these next two weeks. I will post in here what happens if I get the chance to try it out.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My PCP told me it works best to take a dose approximatley 12-20 hrs before the actual presentation. In my case, I take 25mg at least 12 hrs before the event. I then take an additional 12.5mg approximately 2 hrs before the actual presentation.
Not sure about that as the effects seem to kick in around 90 min or so after ingestion, but I guess it is possible as it is very long lasting. When I initially said it lasted about 10 hours, it did carry into the next day on both occasions as I woke up very relaxed and held some really productive WebEx meetings. One was with a national hospital that was having an outage affecting access to medical records and we had maybe 20 people on in crisis mode, but I was able to very calmly pull in necessary resources, explain the action plan, and moderate technical resources delivering information to non-technical resources. I do this work daily, but I definitely noticed a much more collected thought process and the frantic situation had little effect on me.

There is very little doubt in my mind that this could bring people to another level in their careers or in their studies.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, I guess I'm actually overdue for my next Doctor visit. Lol I will make an appointment in the morning and talk to him about the Propranolol.

For now, I will take two Atenolol before my exam tomorrow and see what happens.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
Well, I guess I'm actually overdue for my next Doctor visit. Lol I will make an appointment in the morning and talk to him about the Propranolol.

For now, I will take two Atenolol before my exam tomorrow and see what happens.
If you can't get it through them feel free to send me a pm.

Voldyne

Awards
Not sure about that as the effects seem to kick in around 90 min or so after ingestion, but I guess it is possible as it is very long lasting. When I initially said it lasted about 10 hours, it did carry into the next day on both occasions as I woke up very relaxed and held some really productive WebEx meetings. One was with a national hospital that was having an outage affecting access to medical records and we had maybe 20 people on in crisis mode, but I was able to very calmly pull in necessary resources, explain the action plan, and moderate technical resources delivering information to non-technical resources. I do this work daily, but I definitely noticed a much more collected thought process and the frantic situation had little effect on me.

There is very little doubt in my mind that this could bring people to another level in their careers or in their studies.
Some people don’t seem to be bothered by large groups or the pressure of presentations/public speaking. I am certainly not one of them and never have been. It’s difficult to say the least, to do you best job doing a presentation when you can’t even catch your breath enough to speak. The other option would always be to do whatever possible to avoid the situation, even if it would count against me. Either scenario is no fun and ends up hurting you in the long run. Taking these beta blockers helps tremendously in facing these situations and building confidence.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some people don’t seem to be bothered by large groups or the pressure of presentations/public speaking. I am certainly not one of them and never have been. It’s difficult to say the least, to do you best job doing a presentation when you can’t even catch your breath enough to speak. The other option would always be to do whatever possible to avoid the situation, even if it would count against me. Either scenario is no fun and ends up hurting you in the long run. Taking these beta blockers helps tremendously in facing these situations and building confidence.
Man, I really need this right now. Have a large meeting tomorrow (pre-bid in front of about 50 contractors) and currently trying to get out of it. Really hoping my boss doesn't need me there. As a back-up, I've sent a message to my doctor trying to get a prescription for propranolol today. Since my mom and brother already take it for tremors, I might be able to get away with not making an appointment first (which there isn't time for with their backlog). If not, I'll have to rely on something already on hand (phenibut or l-theanine...neither of which are ideal since they make me really tired even at low doses).

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Does Metoprolol work the same as propranolol?

Voldyne

Awards
Man, I really need this right now. Have a large meeting tomorrow (pre-bid in front of about 50 contractors) and currently trying to get out of it. Really hoping my boss doesn't need me there. As a back-up, I've sent a message to my doctor trying to get a prescription for propranolol today. Since my mom and brother already take it for tremors, I might be able to get away with not making an appointment first (which there isn't time for with their backlog). If not, I'll have to rely on something already on hand (phenibut or l-theanine...neither of which are ideal since they make me really tired even at low doses).
Yeah, I surely would borrow some from your family if the script does not happen today...good luck!

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I surely would borrow some from your family if the script does not happen today...good luck!
Wish I could. Brother doesn't live nearby and Mom is out of town on vacation (and took it with her). Keeping my fingers crossed the doctor comes through. He's a great doctor, so there's a chance I could get it without actually having an appointment. If not, I know he'd prescribe it for me if I make an appointment (just not in time for tomorrow's meeting).

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Wish I could. Brother doesn't live nearby and Mom is out of town on vacation (and took it with her). Keeping my fingers crossed the doctor comes through. He's a great doctor, so there's a chance I could get it without actually having an appointment. If not, I know he'd prescribe it for me if I make an appointment (just not in time for tomorrow's meeting).
Are you with an Owner or GC?

Voldyne

Awards
Be careful if you take any of these and you have asthma!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Design consultant for the owner (if you're asking what I think you're asking). Soliciting bids for a pretty big project.
Yeah it makes sense. I’m on the GC side of it, I’ve never been apart of pre bid other than competitions in school responding to RFQs and RFPs.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I just got a prescription for 80mg ER Propranolol.. I am assuming most people use the instant release? I wonder if and how the ER will differ.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just got a prescription for 80mg ER Propranolol.. I am assuming most people use the instant release? I wonder if and how the ER will differ.
Did you see your GP or a specialist? My doctor wants me to see a neurologist first before prescribing it (which I can't really blame him for since he likely wants to rule out other more serious conditions first....even with my family history).

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's what I use. The ER is more of a take one in the morning and go on about your day and can be taken every day. The immediate release, you would want to wait until about an hour before you're going to do something that you know will make you anxious.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did you see your GP or a specialist? My doctor wants me to see a neurologist first before prescribing it (which I can't really blame him for since he likely wants to rule out other more serious conditions first....even with my family history).
It was my GP. He is very good and I’m lucky he listens to my suggestions, but he’s also very liberal with the prescriptions he gives and I don’t even fill about half of them. Lol

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Juicedeez utz Anabolics 2