Perception of Nootropic Supplements

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I stumbled upon an article on nootropics while browsing the internet titled "Seeking an edge, these brain hackers mix up risky chemical cocktails for breakfast." I was curious to know what exactly they considered to be "risky chemical coctails," perhaps some novel/new nootropics, maybe something like PRL-8-53, or at least some form of racetam, but it turns out they mentioned MCT oil, BCAAs, and theanine mixed in coffee. They do go on to mention someone adding piracetam and choline to their coffee, but come on, I still wouldn't call that a "risky chemical cocktail." I'm not sure if I want to throw up a link, since the article has several links to places selling something or another, but I just thought it was interesting to see a more mainstream perception of nootropic supplements, even though the website claims in their banner that they are "reporting from the frontiers of health and medicine," (statnews). With this in mind, what does the average person, or even the average student/businessman, think about nootropics and cognitive enhancement? What have you all heard from friends, family, co-workers, etc regarding nootropics and that sort of thing?

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Lots of people are prescribed Modafinil but they don't consider it a nootropic rather than just another Rx medication, the movie Limitless has given people the idea that impossible things are achievable with the use of nootropics but I'm guessing some people don't really bother to investigate MOAs and background research.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have turned on so many people to noots and other brain hacking I have lost count. I love when I discuss with friends and family, because everyone is looking for an edge nowadays, and then go back months later to see the supplements I recommended and how excited they are.

In my experience, it has been only positive for myself and those I have talked to about them. People are naturally cautious, but as soon as they see what is possible, it opens doors and then the next thought is what's next.