Non-responders

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are there any other non-responders out there , specifically to piracetam or noopept?

I'm searching for something that has a similar effect, and can be taken for an accute effect in times of need.

I'll be trying out phenyl-piracetam next to see if it has any effect on me. Currently using alpha-gpc as a choline source.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
You can try taking it without choline or don't use Alpha GPC every day, some people don't respond to compounds for one reason or another. If you're looking for something with acute effects pramiracetam is something to consider. Phenylpiracetam and pramiracetam both develop tolerances though so the "as needed" specification might come into play.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I actually thought that I might be needing more choline, or to try using more. Currently using 600mg of alpha gpc daily.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
I actually thought that I might be needing more choline, or to try using more. Currently using 600mg of alpha gpc daily.
If you needed more you would most likely get headaches or feel lethargic.

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you needed more you would most likely get headaches or feel lethargic.
Huh...I thought headaches was the only possible side effect of taking a racetam without choline. I've been taking aniracetam and it makes me pretty lethargic.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Huh...I thought headaches was the only possible side effect of taking a racetam without choline. I've been taking aniracetam and it makes me pretty lethargic.
That's what I was saying, OP said he thought he needed more choline which is why I suggested that if that were the case he may be suffering headaches and lethargy. Since he is not experiencing these then I doubt that adding more choline would potentiate the other compounds he is taking.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's what I was saying, OP said he thought he needed more choline which is why I suggested that if that were the case he may be suffering headaches and lethargy. Since he is not experiencing these then I doubt that adding more choline would potentiate the other compounds he is taking.
I actually got a headache the other day when trying it, so maybe I'll try doubling my alpha gpc dose.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yup, I think I was under dosing. My Alpha GPC caps are only 150mg each, I had thought they were 300mg

S

sespress

Awards
I don't know man I've felt like that the last few times I took noopept. It's like super mild or I just don't get anything from it. Taking choline as well.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't know man I've felt like that the last few times I took noopept. It's like super mild or I just don't get anything from it. Taking choline as well.
Yeah I'm not getting anything out of it even after adding more choline.

I don't respond to piracitam either

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
In a way you should be happy that you aren't responding since most of the studies showing benefits of these research chemicals has been shown in the elderly and cognitively impaired. You have affirmed your status of normal or possibly higher level cognitive functioning.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In a way you should be happy that you aren't responding since most of the studies showing benefits of these research chemicals has been shown in the elderly and cognitively impaired. You have affirmed your status of normal or possibly higher level cognitive functioning.
Haha, that's one way of looking at it, but piracetam does have a few studies showing benefits in normal and healthy young subjects.

Gutterpump, how'd you dose the piracetam?

S

sespress

Awards
Me think well! Greatness!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wrong thread. Lol.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Haha, that's one way of looking at it, but piracetam does have a few studies showing benefits in normal and healthy young subjects.

Gutterpump, how'd you dose the piracetam?
I've tried it out a long long time ago and just gave up on it. I had tried it with large amounts of choline and tried increasing dosages but didn't notice anything.

I'm going to try phenyl-piracetam soon though.

C

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
I've only dabbled a little with nootropics, but have been rather underwhelmed, thus far.

to be honest, I think ALCAR and ginkgo are tied as the most effective for me, with piracetam a distance second. I've tried aniracetam and noopept, and didn't see anything from them.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've only dabbled a little with nootropics, but have been rather underwhelmed, thus far.

to be honest, I think ALCAR and ginkgo are tied as the most effective for me, with piracetam a distance second. I've tried aniracetam and noopept, and didn't see anything from them.
Have you tried them with a choline source? If so, which one(s) and dose(s)? Have you tried bacopa?

C

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried them with a choline source? If so, which one(s) and dose(s)? Have you tried bacopa?
yeah.... citichone, alpha GPC, plus i eat 3-4 whole eggs a day.

i have not tried bacopa yet, though.

to be fair, I do have a pretty strong case of ADD, so that might very well have something to do with it...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
to be fair, I do have a pretty strong case of ADD, so that might very well have something to do with it...
Likewise, but my tianeptine has seemed to of fixed/helped that, as well as helped slight OCD tendencies.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah.... citichone, alpha GPC, plus i eat 3-4 whole eggs a day.

i have not tried bacopa yet, though.

Ok, and I love whole eggs man, haha. I like bacopa; 300mg of something like Bacognize is a good starting point for bacopa.

C

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
for some reason, I thought bacopa has a relaxing effect.... am I wrong with that assumption?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
for some reason, I thought bacopa has a relaxing effect.... am I wrong with that assumption?
You're not wrong. It has been shown to reduce anxiety, and can be calming/relaxing. If that's an issue for you, you could either take it later in the day, or just take it with some caffeine/stims.

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok, and I love whole eggs man, haha. I like bacopa, but make sure you're using a quality extract (HPLC standardization; something like Bacognize). Lots of extracts are either not HPLC standardized, and therefore have less bacosides than they say, or are standardized for too little bacopa at the dose used. 300mg of something like Bacognize is a good starting point for bacopa.
Have you tried the new Bacognize extract? It now lists that it's standardized to 12% glycosides (instead of 45% baccosides). I'm curious as to how the new version compares to the old. The older version was always too sedating to me (whereas the Synapsa extract was almost too stimulating...especially if taken with caffeine).

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you tried the new Bacognize extract? It now lists that it's standardized to 12% glycosides (instead of 45% baccosides). I'm curious as to how the new version compares to the old. The older version was always too sedating to me (whereas the Synapsa extract was almost too stimulating...especially if taken with caffeine).
I could be wrong, but it seems that they're different extract, similar to how Sabinsa has forskolin extracts from 1% to >95%. Here's the reply someone on Reddit got from Swanson regarding this (Swanson sells it):

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I could be wrong, but it seems that they're different extract, similar to how Sabinsa has forskolin extracts from 1% to >95%. Here's the reply someone on Reddit got from Swanson regarding this (Swanson sells it):
Yeah, not too sure what's going on with it. I just looked at the 3rd party test by ND and it lists 45% glycosides by UV-VIS and 12.6% by HPLC. I wonder if them listing that it's now standardized to 12% glycosides is just that they're now just mentioning it based on the HPLC test result (whereas before it was based on UV-VIS)?

edit: think I just confirmed that, as I saw a bacognize product label which mentioned the following - [standardized for 45% bacosides , measured by UV-vis) BaCognize®
Would seem like it's the same product as before...just some companies are changing how they report the baccosides content (content using HPLC versus UV-VIS). Either way, it would seem to be the same product.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, not too sure what's going on with it. I just looked at the 3rd party test by ND and it lists 45% glycosides by UV-VIS and 12.6% by HPLC. I wonder if them listing that it's now standardized to 12% glycosides is just that they're now just mentioning it based on the HPLC test result (whereas before it was based on UV-VIS)?

edit: think I just confirmed that, as I saw a bacognize product label which mentioned the following - [standardized for 45% bacosides , measured by UV-vis) BaCognize®
Would seem like it's the same product as before...just some companies are changing how they report the baccosides content (content using HPLC versus UV-VIS). Either way, it would seem to be the same product.
Hmm... did they just change it? Apparently there's a new study on medical students that used 300mg/day of the 45%/12% extract:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5075615/
and the COA they have on another website seems to confirm this.

Here's an interesting study on bacopa standardization:
However, clinical trials which have provided supporting evidence for claims for Bacopa efficacy and thereby effective dosage ranges have been standardised for total bacoside by more inclusive methods based on UV-spectroscopy. Such methods calculate total bacoside values of about 50%.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4564642/
Either way, extracts like BaGognize and KeenMind have studies showing their effectiveness, so they're probably safe bets as far as bacopa goes.