Phenibut - wonderful, terrible

sespress

Awards
So phenibut. I've taken it for years on and off, I was typically on other drugs from a psychiatrists at the time and so didn't mess with it much. I know all about addictive chemicals and I've had my battles with a few. Phenibut which i had decided to take in lieu of Baclofen, antidepressants, or Benz's, however doesn't have enough written about how bloody useful/dangerous it is.

I will keep it simple. I want people who are not familiar with it to realize it is just as bad as a benzo, but tolerance once it builds, builds more quickly and you could find yourself in a position where you are unable to stop. Withdrawal will be much like coming off of benzo's or PK's with perhaps a bit less of the stomach issues but much more of the mental debilitation. You will need time if this happens to you.

Dose it for no more than a few days at once. Then take a few more off. Realistically you shouldn't take it regularly at all in my opinion. Now I run the dose up and down the scale. While I take it for control of anxiety instead of medication like xan's, most folks will likely build it into a workout stack to counteract issues with other supps. I think that's probably best, don't take it everyday unless you've talked it out with a doctor like I have.

If your hooked on it don't doubt it's power - you need to taper down. Cut it by 10% every other week until you think you can go without. If you know anyone with lyrica or neurotin that will help once you cut it off getting through the last week or so.

I don't know of any other nootropics that have this issue (please write if you do) but I can't think of any that have the same strength, it's a drug that effects you like any other depressant.

Be safe with what you take! Careful with phenibut, it is totally useful if done correctly and with self control. Otherwise it's a monster.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Very good information and advice! However, just to provide another experience...I never had any problems taking it daily for more than two months. I never took more than 500 mg/day (once in the morning and sometimes a second dose later in the day). During that time it never lost effectiveness at completely eliminating my social anxiety. Higher doses only made me lethargic, dizzy and very nauseous. So, desire to escalate the dose was never a problem. I also didn't get any euphoria, or mood impacts at all, at such a low dose. It was really just useful for anxiety at that level.

When I did stop taking it I never experience any withdrawal symptoms. However, I should caveat that with the fact that I did take magnesium glycinate and l-theanine twice a day when coming off it just in case there was some kind of rebound anxiety, etc. (read such bad experiences online figured I would play it safe and take something just as a precaution). So, I can't completely say that I wouldn't have experienced some kind of withdrawal symptoms if I hadn't taken those.

I'm only mentioning this so that others can see that phenibut can be used (by some) at very low doses on a daily basis without problems. Most the problems and horror stories mentioned online are from people that take ridiculously high doses...doses that are significantly higher than that recommended for therapeutic purposes.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Very good information and advice! However, just to provide another experience...I never had any problems taking it daily for more than two months. I never took more than 500 mg/day (once in the morning and sometimes a second dose later in the day). During that time it never lost effectiveness at completely eliminating my social anxiety. Higher doses only made me lethargic, dizzy and very nauseous. So, desire to escalate the dose was never a problem. I also didn't get any euphoria, or mood impacts at all, at such a low dose. It was really just useful for anxiety at that level.

When I did stop taking it I never experience any withdrawal symptoms. However, I should caveat that with the fact that I did take magnesium glycinate and l-theanine twice a day when coming off it just in case there was some kind of rebound anxiety, etc. (read such bad experiences online figured I would play it safe and take something just as a precaution). So, I can't completely say that I wouldn't have experienced some kind of withdrawal symptoms if I hadn't taken those.

I'm only mentioning this so that others can see that phenibut can be used (by some) at very low doses on a daily basis without problems. Most the problems and horror stories mentioned online are from people that take ridiculously high doses...doses that are significantly higher than that recommended for therapeutic purposes.
I have taken my fair share of addictive things in the past and never once have I had any issues with Phenibut being addictive. I guess my chemical make up doesn't allow for it because I can't for the life of me understand what some are experiencing with this product.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have taken my fair share of addictive things in the past and never once have I had any issues with Phenibut being addictive. I guess my chemical make up doesn't allow for it because I can't for the life of me understand what some are experiencing with this product.
Exactly. I feel horrible if I take higher doses...not even close to the euphoria some mention. I also noticed a cumulative effect over the two months I took it such that I was feeling a little too relaxed and sleepy during the daytime (and this was at only 250-500 mg/day); which is why I stopped taking it. So, for people like us phenibut isn't really a problem.

sespress

Awards
Exactly. I feel horrible if I take higher doses...not even close to the euphoria some mention. I also noticed a cumulative effect over the two months I took it such that I was feeling a little too relaxed and sleepy during the daytime (and this was at only 250-500 mg/day); which is why I stopped taking it. So, for people like us phenibut isn't really a problem.
I'm glad you all haven't had that issue, the one time I had worked myself until the grams level I was a mess for at least a month trying to figure out how to cut it out. I used to be prescribed xans for anxiety and developed a massive tolerance to them quiet quickly and after a few dose increases my doc pulled me off of them. Pulled me off maybe too quickly and I ended up feeling horrendous for at least a week. I do think I'm one of those people who has a really bad addictive potential for things and honestly I often wonder if my tolerance increases are due to a difference in the speed at which my liver will produce enzymes - I understand that has something to do with why drugs lose their potential over time and dose increases are needed.

Anyways Phenibut is so useful for anxiety that it is an attractive lure for people like me and I've had to watch myself with it.

A side note I started taking choline bit recently, I noticed an immediate and exponential increase in the strength of the phenibut effect about 2-3 hours after taking the choline. I've since cut my dose down on both and I'm getting the same positive effects at 2/3 my normal Phenibut dose! Exciting as choline is much less pricey, and dually because I'm not hitting it as hard so I feel less likely to run into the addictive withdrawal issues. Time will tell but anyone who has both on hand should let us know if they get the same synergistic effect I got.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a big fan of phenibut. I just use it about once or twice a month to get some really great sleep on a day I can sleep in. For those of you who do use it fairly regularly, I just heard of fluorophenibut ( haven't tried it myself) from what I've read about it, it is supposed to have less tolerance issues. Like I said though I've not tried it, but could be something to look into for those of you who use phenibut regularly.

sespress

Awards
I'm not a big fan of phenibut. I just use it about once or twice a month to get some really great sleep on a day I can sleep in. For those of you who do use it fairly regularly, I just heard of fluorophenibut ( haven't tried it myself) from what I've read about it, it is supposed to have less tolerance issues. Like I said though I've not tried it, but could be something to look into for those of you who use phenibut regularly.
Whoa flora- anything is usually more potent. I'm going to have to look that up. I tolerate the original well although I will say the HCl is terrible. The free based form of it sold some places is better and also more powerful by weight (no Hydrochloride adding molecular weight). I'm actually surprised so many folks have come back saying they hated it. It's always been a lifesaver for me. Anyways good looks on the alternate form that has me interested.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I view phenibut as one of the worse things I have ever consumed. The overall depression and lethargy after even a few days was unreal, very akin to any seratonin robbing substance ie. MDMAish. I tried a few times to see if it was a fluke and had the same reaction each time.

Maybe it's right for some people, but not my brain chemistry.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
I've used Phenibut sparingly..never any bad effects but thanks for post..know what to watch for

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
How are you guys able to function taking so much phenibut?

I accidentally took 1/8 tablespoon instead of a 1/8 teaspoon and had trouble walking and standing up straight. I felt flat out drunk.

I have heard that tolerance builds fast and that rebound is common after discontinuing use.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
I took too much initially..got out of bed and immediately careened into wall..whoa

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 56
tyga tyga Supplements 16
RIPDanDuchaine Supplements 18
brofessorx Supplements 9
Supplements 7