Phenylalanine / 5 -htp

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Can anyone comment on the proper way to dose these? My first dose of Phenyl (1000 mg) I did not notice much, however I did have a protein shake about an hour before hand. My understanding now is that you should actually space your dosages far away from meals as the AA's from the protein shake will compete for absorption with the Phenyl. Is this the likely reason I noticed no effect? I've tried l-tyrosine in the past and I got a heavy energy feeling the first 2 times using it, but then it quickly dissipated. So I'm on to the next precursor. I know messing with neurotransmitters is risky business but I wanted to see if this will help with my energy levels, libido, etc.

Thanks!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You have to keep phenyl and L-tyrosine far away from food, I have found 2-3 hours approx. I usually dose immediately upon waking and it kicks in about 30 min later.

Take 5-htp 30-60 min before bed.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
You have to keep phenyl and L-tyrosine far away from food, I have found 2-3 hours approx. I usually dose immediately upon waking and it kicks in about 30 min later.

kisaj

Well I dosed again when I woke up and can't say definitively that I've "felt" anything. Is it possible that the effect will accumulate? Like a saturation type of thing? Thanks

YoungBodyBuil

Banned
Awards
Can anyone comment on the proper way to dose these? My first dose of Phenyl (1000 mg) I did not notice much, however I did have a protein shake about an hour before hand. My understanding now is that you should actually space your dosages far away from meals as the AA's from the protein shake will compete for absorption with the Phenyl. Is this the likely reason I noticed no effect? I've tried l-tyrosine in the past and I got a heavy energy feeling the first 2 times using it, but then it quickly dissipated. So I'm on to the next precursor. I know messing with neurotransmitters is risky business but I wanted to see if this will help with my energy levels, libido, etc.

Thanks!
It's not all that risky actually, your body can easily recalibrate itself/ fix any damage from things like precursors.. it's the SSRI's and sh1t like that which mess you up. Caffeine can mess with transmitter.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
It's not all that risky actually, your body can easily recalibrate itself/ fix any damage from things like precursors.. it's the SSRI's and sh1t like that which mess you up. Caffeine can mess with transmitter.
I'm wondering if perhaps I'm taking too large of a dose. I did 2 caps which is 1000 mg. From what I've read online, 100-200mg seems to be what people have had great results with.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
kisaj

Well I dosed again when I woke up and can't say definitively that I've "felt" anything. Is it possible that the effect will accumulate? Like a saturation type of thing? Thanks
No, it is acute. I am not certain why you would not notice it, especially with a large dose like that.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Well it's been a few hours and I can tell you that I've felt a bit more "confident" and less timid in my conversation with others...Not sure if it's related but it's definitely noticable

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, the increase in dopamine would definitely do that so it could be. It's not something that will kick you in the ass and know you took something, more of a subtle energy, boost in mood, and confidence.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Well, the increase in dopamine would definitely do that so it could be. It's not something that will kick you in the ass and know you took something, more of a subtle energy, boost in mood, and confidence.
kisaj
I also have some L-tryptophan. I was thinking about exchanging it for 5-htp. How do the 2 compare?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
kisaj Are tolerance issues less likely with DLPA? Also, I've been using 1000 mg in the morning when I wake up. I was just curious if it'd be possible to up the dosage a bit with no real neurotoxic effects. I've been doing some reading and can't seem to come to a consensus on the optimal dosage. Some places say up to 2,000 mg/ day split up into 2 doses, others claim less. So far I've really enjoyed the effects. More confidence, energy, more social, etc. But I tend to have a mindset that if some is good, than more must be better heh. Thanks for the help!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is good you are seeing the effects it can bring, but more is not better when you are playing with dopamine levels. Too much and you can start to see anxiety, aggression, increase in sweat, and this all leads to a hard come down.

I say be happy you are reaping the benefits and enjoy. The irony is that you take this to increase dopamine levels and then once you do, you are subject to the effects like compulsiveness, over stimulated, and prone to making bad choices.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
kisaj

One last question here. I'm also taking 500 mg of L-tryptophan at night before bed. Would you say that this is sufficient to balance out the serotonin and dopamine levels? My understanding is that we do not want one of the neurotransmitters to greatly exceed the other. And I've also read that supplementing L-tyrosine can enhance melanin production and make our skin color a bit darker over time. Does this same phenomenon occur when supplementing with its precursor?

Thanks again for all of your help man, I really appreciate it!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am not sure about l-tryptophan as I have not used it. There is a small chance of sides regarding skin spots and darkening, but I personally have never heard of anyone experiencing it outside of one poster on here. Like anything, you should cycle it and I take a break every 8-10 weeks for a few. I replace it with rhodiola during that time.

As far as ratio, I take 500mg 2x daily of l-tyrosine and 100-200mg of 5-htp at night.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
kisaj Is tolerance buildup a concern with DLPA? From what I've read online, it shouldn't be, however I've noticed a slight deterioration in the effects I had mentioned above. I bumped up my morning dose from 1g to 1.5 g and am getting the initial effects from when I first began DLPA. Also my voice has been much deeper lately and my appetite has shot up. I've read that dopamine stimulates Gonadotropin releasing hormone which in turn stimulates the leydig cells to pump out test... Just speculation here I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I'm considering adding in some cdp-choline and inositol for d2 receptor up regulation

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Will supplementing glutamine negate the effects of DLPA?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Tryin to keep this thread alive haha. Will the effects of phenylalanine persist after supplementation is ceased? Or are there only acute effects?

Sculptor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm curious about dlpa as well. I've used two bottles dosing 500mg a day with my morning preworkout. I noticed positive effects in the beginning but after a week or two I never really noticed anything. In fact over time I felt that my mid crash became much harder. Maybe I didn't dose high enough? I tried a second dose later in the day and saw no difference.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious about dlpa as well. I've used two bottles dosing 500mg a day with my morning preworkout. I noticed positive effects in the beginning but after a week or two I never really noticed anything. In fact over time I felt that my mid crash became much harder. Maybe I didn't dose high enough? I tried a second dose later in the day and saw no difference.
My guess is that you've shot up dopamine levels too much and lowered serotonin. My understanding is that the brain will stop pumping out extra dopamine if serotonin levels get too low. As far as I know, they are inversely related. Another possibility is that the post synaptic cleft has become too desensitized due to the bombardment of high levels of dopamine. This is "tolerance" Perhaps kisaj or someone else can lend some expertise.
The only way to re-sensitize is to reduce dopamine release from the pre-synaptic cleft. Over time the density of the post will increase, thus creating the " receptor upregulation" we desire.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established

Regarding this post, so if I wake up and take it I need to wait 2-3 hours to eat? Or 2 -3 hours after eating?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
2-3 hours after eating, but you could eat not long after taking as it is already breaking down.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
B6 and C vitamins can increase absorption of DLPA (also tyrosine).
Also: B6 supposedly helps to convert 5-HTP to serotonin. B3 supposedly aids in the conversion of tryptophan