Bacopa Monnieri

tristen22001

Awards
I've been reading up on bacopa lately and want to try it to help with my very poor memory/recall. The studies mention taking around 150+mg of baccosides per day to reap the benefits. Is there a brand everyone prefers? VS carries the Himalaya brand of bacopa so I'm mostly interested in what people think about this one. But I'm open to other suggestions too. The Himalaya bacopa is lower in baccosides (around 70 mg I think) but gets very good reviews online.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Himalaya is a quality brand, but I'd still aim for at least 150mg bacosides. If you don't mind paying extra for that brand, it's ok, but there are other quality brands/extracts out there.

tristen22001

Awards
Himalaya is a quality brand, but I'd still aim for at least 150mg bacosides. If you don't mind paying extra for that brand, it's ok, but there are other quality brands/extracts out there.
So I should probably take two of the Himalaya then to reach at least 150 mg bacosides? Have you seen any studies where they used less than that? Everything I've read they seem to just have 150 mg as the lowest dose. I'm curious if lower doses are also effective but most studies just didn't look at what the lowest effective dose was.

I noticed in another thread that you take it in the morning. Do you notice any changes in mood or anxiety with bacopa? I'd like to take something that also works as a mood stabilizer without making me too sleepy.

edit: what other quality brands do you recommend? I notice bacognize and synapsa extracts mentioned a lot and wasn't sure if there were others. Sorry for all the questions.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I should probably take two of the Himalaya then to reach at least 150 mg bacosides? Have you seen any studies where they used less than that? Everything I've read they seem to just have 150 mg as the lowest dose. I'm curious if lower doses are also effective but most studies just didn't look at what the lowest effective dose was.

I noticed in another thread that you take it in the morning. Do you notice any changes in mood or anxiety with bacopa? I'd like to take something that also works as a mood stabilizer without making me too sleepy.

edit: what other quality brands do you recommend? I notice bacognize and synapsa extracts mentioned a lot and wasn't sure if there were others. Sorry for all the questions.
Bacognize and Synapsa are quality, as is BacoMind. Other sources may be good, assuming they're actually standardized for he proper bacoside content. I feel that it helps a bit with anxiety, and seems to make me want to talk more; it definitely doesn't make me sleepy.

tristen22001

Awards
Bacognize and Synapsa are quality, as is BacoMind. Other sources may be good, assuming they're actually standardized for he proper bacoside content. I feel that it helps a bit with anxiety, and seems to make me want to talk more; it definitely doesn't make me sleepy.
Last night I bought Himilaya bacopa to try. I'll start with one tablet in the morning and increase to two if it goes okay. I already take 300 mg of ksm-66 before bed. We'll see how that combo goes. Thank you for all your responses to my questions.

athene

Awards
That's exactly what I take, both in the evening. Due to Intermittent fasting and the fact that bacope is better absorbed when taken with fat I can't take it in the morning. I take only one caplet. At the beginning, I was taking it in the morning, and I was a bit disappointed since I felt it made me a bit lethargic or uninterested, so I decided to move it to the evenings. Now I don't feel this anymore, and what I have noticed is that I can recall things from memory faster than before, and I seem to be more focused/sharp. Its taken a while, but I'd say it works.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's exactly what I take, both in the evening. Due to Intermittent fasting and the fact that bacope is better absorbed when taken with fat I can't take it in the morning. I take only one caplet. At the beginning, I was taking it in the morning, and I was a bit disappointed since I felt it made me a bit lethargic or uninterested, so I decided to move it to the evenings. Now I don't feel this anymore, and what I have noticed is that I can recall things from memory faster than before, and I seem to be more focused/sharp. Its taken a while, but I'd say it works.
Nice. I'm glad it's working for you. Definitely a nootropic staple for me. I find taking it with caffeine/coffee is awesome.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I've tried every nootropic, Rx and OTC. Been taking Bacopa for about 3 months (about 150 mg bacosides per day) and can honestly say it has helped my memory more than any other supplement. It's cheap, I plan to run it indefinitely. It is supposed to keep improving with time. Probably will max out around 4-6 month mark.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I take it before bed with some lion's mane mixed up as a tea. I get great quality sleep with some mild, unmemorable dreams. Memory seems a wee bit better.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
Definitely a staple for me. I'd shoot for at least 150mg bacosides as mentioned. It's not a miracle worker (especially acutely), but after 2-3 months time on it, especially if you are mindful (I keep a journal for this), you will note a difference.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definitely a staple for me. I'd shoot for at least 150mg bacosides as mentioned. It's not a miracle worker (especially acutely), but after 2-3 months time on it, especially if you are mindful (I keep a journal for this), you will note a difference.
This. Do you prefer splitting your dose or taking it all at once?

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
This. Do you prefer splitting your dose or taking it all at once?
I usually split dosing personally, but I take 450-600mg of it per day. Although, a lot of Bacopa products come in 300mg pills @50%, which would be once a day unless you up the dosing or have a lower dosed product.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually split dosing personally, but I take 450-600mg of it per day. Although, a lot of Bacopa products come in 300mg pills @50%, which would be once a day unless you up the dosing or have a lower dosed product.
I like to take at least 300mg at once.

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can anyone say how much bacosides are in 1 cap of Himalaya? Thanks

Pec.Major

Awards
  • Established
Is there any difference between bacognize and synapsa? My main goal with supplementation would be anti anxiety, anti depressant, calming the mind and improve memory.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is there any difference between bacognize and synapsa? My main goal with supplementation would be anti anxiety, anti depressant, calming the mind and improve memory.
I've used both and they're very different. Bacognize was very sedating (never wanted to leave the couch) and great at reducing anxiety but it also increased my depression. Synapsa seemed to increase my energy and mood. However, it didn't work as well for decreasing anxiety. Both seemed to improve memory.

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
I've tried every nootropic, Rx and OTC. Been taking Bacopa for about 3 months (about 150 mg bacosides per day) and can honestly say it has helped my memory more than any other supplement. It's cheap, I plan to run it indefinitely. It is supposed to keep improving with time. Probably will max out around 4-6 month mark.
More than racetams?!