Another home made pre work out

CentralcoastT

Awards
Hey, I know this is probably another one of those "Great another home made pre work out" post. I just wanted some feed back from the more experiences veteran guys here on the forum. Im trying to accomplish a good pump/power pre work out with some benefits of muscle growth in it while cutting out all the fillers, I basically have researched everything I liked in my current pre work out and NO supplement and pieced them together.

Heres my current stats:

Weight:160
Height 5'8"
Hard gainer but I'm gaining after the help of a close body builder friend who helped me get my nutrition on point and of course my gym routine is pretty solid as well.

now for the ingredients, If you could suggest adding/taking away anything I'm all ears.

Agmatine Sulfate Powder-200mg
Mucuna Pruriens Extract (Dopa Mucuna) 98% L-DOPA ( I THINK THIS GAVE ME A HEAD ACHE NOT SURE YET)-150mg (when i took it the first time)
Taurine Supplement Powder-200mg
Acetyl L-Carnitine Powder (ALCAR)-250mg
Beta Alanine Powder-3.2g
L-Citrulline Malate 2:1 -6g
Caffeine Anhydrous Powder-150mg
Creatine-5G
I look forward to hearing the good and bad!

Thank you guys!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some feedback:

Agmatine: if you're looking for a pump, try at 500-1000mg.
Taurine: go with at least 1g, I sometimes even use 2-4g pre-workout
ALCAR: 1-2g
Beta Alanine: that's fine, but it's not going to really give you any acute benefits in the context of a pre-workout
Citrulline Malate: Good
Caffeine: it's preference really
Creatine: same as beta alanine
The L-DOPA isn't a necessity pre-workout by any means, so you could drop it if you think it's giving you a headache.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks like the process some companies are using to create their new innovative products nowadays!

CentralcoastT

Awards
Thanks a ton for the feedback, I'll give it a try and let you know what the update is. I appreciate it.
I'll defiantly drop the L-dopa.

Travis

Some feedback:

Agmatine: if you're looking for a pump, try at 500-1000mg.
Taurine: go with at least 1g, I sometimes even use 2-4g pre-workout
ALCAR: 1-2g
Beta Alanine: that's fine, but it's not going to really give you any acute benefits in the context of a pre-workout
Citrulline Malate: Good
Caffeine: it's preference really
Creatine: same as beta alanine
The L-DOPA isn't a necessity pre-workout by any means, so you could drop it if you think it's giving you a headache.

kdc1023

Awards
looks good to me. Caffeine and not enough water is probably the culprit of your headache.

CentralcoastT

Awards
Been running anywhere between 100-150mg caffeine, been great so far with the adjustments that muscleupcrohn recommended. Now I'm looking to add anything else beneficial that anyone could recommend to promote muscle growth? I know that's vague, there's no "magic pill" I do train hard and just looking to add that extra edge. Iv been browsing through the muscle growth section of my powder supplier but not sure what is worth getting and adding into my stack. Hopefully some of you pros can help a young buck out.

Thanks guys!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Been running anywhere between 100-150mg caffeine, been great so far with the adjustments that muscleupcrohn recommended. Now I'm looking to add anything else beneficial that anyone could recommend to promote muscle growth? I know that's vague, there's no "magic pill" I do train hard and just looking to add that extra edge. Iv been browsing through the muscle growth section of my powder supplier but not sure what is worth getting and adding into my stack. Hopefully some of you pros can help a young buck out.

Thanks guys!
Well, most pre-workout ingredients aren't really things that are going to directly promote muscle growth. Granted, ingredients that improve endurance/strength and lead to lifting more weight and/or doing more reps/sets can promote muscle growth, but that's different than something with a MOA that promotes muscle growth per se.

Rhodiola rosea is a nice ingredient. It's an adaptogen (I'd also argue that it's a nootropic in many circumstances) that helps fight fatigue, and even has research showing that it can acutely improve endurance exercise peformance. It can also provide some nice energy, but in a different way that your typical stimulants. I'd take at least 200mg of an extract with 3% rosavin and 1% salidroside (the dose used in the endurance exercise study).

A choline source could also help with focus, and even have some other benefits. Choline bitartrate is going to be your cheapest bet (I'd take 2-2.4g). Despite being the cheapest choline source, it does have research showing it has cognitive benefits in healthy young adults, and also has been shown to help female judo athletes lose weight while maintaining strength. Other options include CDP-choline (250-500mg) and Alpha-GPC (200-600mg). Some people have a preference for one or the other, but all of these choline sources are effective IMO.

Perhaps what would fit the bill of what you're looking for the most (muscle growth) is Phosphatidic Acid (PA). PA has studies showing it can improve strength and LBM, and it is typically taken pre workout (anecdotally, I find it gives me a nice pump as well). The studied dose was 750mg PA, but many people here use and enjoy 1.5g (or even more) PA. You could either get your PA from a concentrated capsule (like PhosphaMuscle), a powdered supplement (like Triumph), or, as the cheapest and perhaps most common around here, soy lecithin granules. They're 4-7% PA, so to get 750mg PA, you'd want to take about 3tbsp of the lecithin granules. That's a good starting point, there's no need to dose higher than that at first, and, if you decide to go that route, I'd take the graules with your pre-workout. If you get any bloating or stomach discomfort from the granules at this time (it's not that common, but it can happen), try taking them with your last pre-workout meal (ideally within ~2 hours of working out). The granules also provide some choline (PC), so you may not want/need to add a choline source to your pre-workout if you're taking the granules, although I often do. I'd also take the 3tbsp with a meal on rest days.

Other possible additions include Peak-ATP (400mg) and ferulic acid (30mg).

Most ingredients that are sold/used to promote muscle growth are things that tend to be taken daily as opposed to only pre-workout though.

beef27

beef27

Awards
muscleupcrohn what is the main benefit of the high dosed taurine?

AKM007

Awards
Isn't there some competition between Beta Alanine and Taurine uptake?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
There are studies showing some slight endurance (VO2 max, time to exhaustion, workload) and fat oxidation benefits.
I take my Taurine (1g) at night, to help lower Cortisol levels to prevent "Cortisol Awakening" - so that's another benefit for when you want lower Cortisol levels (some/higher is good at times). I up the dose when on Clen.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take my Taurine (1g) at night, to help lower Cortisol levels to prevent "Cortisol Awakening" - so that's another benefit for when you want lower Cortisol levels (some/higher is good at times). I up the dose when on Clen.
That's another option. Both taurine and beta alanine are useful supplements, and there are plenty of ways to dose them at different times of the day if you want benefits from both.

I do like taurine pre-workout though.