Rhodiola Rosea

A

avega17

Awards
  • Established
I have tried 500mg of 3% rosavins and 1% salidrosides for a couple months with decent results. Has anyone tried a different extract or a non-standardized with good results? Higher salidrosides?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have tried 500mg of 3% rosavins and 1% salidrosides for a couple months with decent results. Has anyone tried a different extract or a non-standardized with good results? Higher salidrosides?
150mg of 3% salidrosides works well for me.

A

avega17

Awards
  • Established
I've bought bulk powder from a few places, and enjoyed them all equally.
Do you cap bulk herbal powders? use an mg scale? I'm looking at a few bulks, but I have only used caped herbal ingredients.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you cap bulk herbal powders? use an mg scale? I'm looking at a few bulks, but I have only used caped herbal ingredients.
I use a mg scale. I take quite a few herbal supplements, so buying them all capped would be pretty expensive, and the caps often times don't contain the exact amount I want. If you go that route, make sure that you don't mind drinking some pretty nasty tasting drinks, as some herbs don't taste very good at all without adding flavor and sweeteners.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Higher salidrosides are going to give more of an energetic feel. I prefer the 3:1 typical ratio, but keep the 3% salidrosides around.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Higher salidrosides are going to give more of an energetic feel. I prefer the 3:1 typical ratio, but keep the 3% salidrosides around.
I take rhodiola with ashwagandha, and I find that the two go very well together (energizing and calming).

T

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
There's an old story about Rhodiola Rosea as it was developed in Russia in the late 1920's - early 1930's. The Nazi SS troops were given Test to make them aggressive and the later Russian troops were given Rhodiola Rosea as winter set into Stalingrad area. Rhodiola Rosea as well as being a decent Noot, gives an great adapotgen effect of tolerance to cold conditions and the Russian troops due to this a lack of winter uniforms for the SS did much better the colder it got. Rhodiola Rosea's adapotgen effects to stress of all kinds are even better then it's noot effect or possibly part of the noot effects.

I've used Rhodiola Rosea for quite some time and really like it as a stand alone or part of a stack.

I use a 5% rosavin and 500 mg., but I use to have bulk 3% and that was good too.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
There's an old story about Rhodiola Rosea as it was developed in Russia in the late 1920's - early 1930's. The Nazi SS troops were given Test to make them aggressive and the later Russian troops were given Rhodiola Rosea as winter set into Stalingrad area. Rhodiola Rosea as well as being a decent Noot, gives an great adapotgen effect of tolerance to cold conditions and the Russian troops due to this a lack of winter uniforms for the SS did much better the colder it got. Rhodiola Rosea's adapotgen effects to stress of all kinds are even better then it's noot effect or possibly part of the noot effects.

I've used Rhodiola Rosea for quite some time and really like it as a stand alone or part of a stack.

I use a 5% rosavin and 500 mg., but I use to have bulk 3% and that was good too.
Is that why nazis had such strong jawlines and deep voices

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That was a ****ing weird old story that I can't imagine is actually a story. But maybe it is in some circles.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I really like rhodiola, but it was not "developed in Russia in the late 1920's," it wasn't really "developed" at all, seeing as it's an herb. Perhaps research and use picked up in Russia in the 20's and/or better extraction methods were developed, but it's been around, and used, for a lot longer than that, as it "has a long history as a valuable medicinal plant having appeared in the Materia Medica of a number of European countries (Linne, 1749; Sparschuch, 1775; Pharmacopee Francaise, 1976; Virey, 1811)." (Rosenroot (Rhodiola rosea): traditional use, chemical composition, pharmacology and clinical efficacy)

I also think that the low dose-dependence with higher doses (as shown in studies measuring different things; fatigue in military cadets and depression) is interesting. That coupled with the many studies showing benefits with relatively low doses of rhodiola (salidroside content), has lead me to stick to a relatively moderate dose of rhodiola (150mg of a 3% salidroside extract), and I have had success with this dose, as has a friend of mine who uses many of the same supplements as I do (he typically tries them after I have a good experience with them).

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Any side effects I should look out for or be aware of?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any side effects I should look out for or be aware of?
None that I am aware of. Some people find it more energizing than others, but not in a jittery/stimulant way really.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
None that I am aware of. Some people find it more energizing than others, but not in a jittery/stimulant way really.
Yeah. I've read that it can also invoke nausea and possibly dizzy spells. I read about the increase in anxiety. I'm not looking for something to act like yohimbe or caffeine.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah. I've read that it can also invoke nausea and possibly dizzy spells. I read about the increase in anxiety. I'm not looking for something to act like yohimbe or caffeine.
There are actually studies showing it can help with anxiety and depression. Everyone is different, but it's not something I'd say typically causes anxiety.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Is 100mg considered a low dose or moderate?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is 100mg considered a low dose or moderate?
It really depends on the standardization. It's likely a pretty low dose. In regards to salidroside content, I'd say 2mg is a low dose, while 9mg is a high dose. Salidroside is the most important active, but you want rosavin as well.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
It really depends on the standardization. It's likely a pretty low dose. In regards to salidroside content, I'd say 2mg is a low dose, while 9mg is a high dose. Salidroside is the most important active, but you want rosavin as well.
Standardized for 3% Rosavins and 1% Salidrosides

(So at 50mg that's 1.5% Rosavins and 0.5mg.
Am I correct.)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Standardized for 3% Rosavins and 1% Salidrosides

(So at 50mg that's 1.5% Rosavins and 0.5mg.
Am I correct.)
Ok. That's a common extract. I'd aim for at least 200mg of that extract, giving you 2mg salidroside. What benefits are you looking for from rhodiola?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ok. That's a common extract. I'd aim for at least 200mg of that extract, giving you 2mg salidroside. What benefits are you looking for from rhodiola?
Shot you a message via PM.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You'll typically only see chances of anxiety if the salidrosides are higher. Common 3/1 ratio is likely not to cause any problems.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You'll typically only see chances of anxiety if the salidrosides are higher. Common 3/1 ratio is likely not to cause any problems.
A Russian paper I read said that true Rhodiola extracts should have both salidroside and rosavin. A ton of the promising studies also use extracts that have both. The problem with a lot of high salidroside extracts is that they have little or no rosavin content.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
So by having that 3/1 ration the other chemical I guess works in a synergetic fashion?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So by having that 3/1 ration the other chemical I guess works in a synergetic fashion?
I recall reading a study that noted a combination of salidroside and rosavin was more effective than just salidroside. There's nothing inherently special about the 3/1 ratio, and the SHR-5 extract that has a ton of research supporting its effectiveness was closer to 3/2.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A Russian paper I read said that true Rhodiola extracts should have both salidroside and rosavin. A ton of the promising studies also use extracts that have both. The problem with a lot of high salidroside extracts is that they have little or no rosavin content.
You can buy it depending on your purposes. 3/1 is what is used in studies for the primary benefits of rhodiola. Some companies will bump up the rosavin or the salidrosides and it gives a different effect. I keep both high salidroside and general 3/1 ratio around.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can buy it depending on your purposes. 3/1 is what is used in studies for the primary benefits of rhodiola. Some companies will bump up the rosavin or the salidrosides and it gives a different effect. I keep both high salidroside and general 3/1 ratio around.
I've seen more human studies using SHR-5 than anything else. I'd want to be as close to that as possible. Both are effective though.

619sss

Awards
Just finished half of NOW FOOD rhodiola, no effect at 2 pills a day. What do you guys feel when you on rhodiola? Which brand do you use?

A

avega17

Awards
  • Established
Just finished half of NOW FOOD rhodiola, no effect at 2 pills a day. What do you guys feel when you on rhodiola? Which brand do you use?
I've been using NOW for some time, but maybe you can try Jarrows or a bulk supplier.

W

Wagner83

Awards
I've been using therootofthematter rhodiola , it's also a 3/1 extract but it is very potent, at least it was for me. I'm not sure all 3/1 extracts are equal in terms of quality.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
I recently tried the biotest brand rhodiola and loved it at 2 caps. Probably guna try a different brand this time just to try different extract ratios but i felt like i got good stress relief, kind of a calmer state of mind, and an energy boost from it. Not sure how other brands with different extracts could vary in the effect so im looking forward to finding out.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
muscleupcrohn hey your messages are full.

W

Wagner83

Awards
I found what may be an excellent source for whole herbs, they have detailed 3rd party testing for each batch and each herb available to all (previously known as superman herbs) : lostempireherbs.com/product-category/herbs/
Their rhodiola is standardized and their TA, pine pollen tincture and cistanche are appealing.

S

stan08

Awards
So if someone wants more of a calming effect and not energizing then they should use a product that high in rosavins and low in salidrosides? Someone earlier mentioned biotest. I just looked that up and its 15:1.5. Much higher rosavins.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
So if someone wants more of a calming effect and not energizing then they should use a product that high in rosavins and low in salidrosides? Someone earlier mentioned biotest. I just looked that up and its 15:1.5. Much higher rosavins.
Im not so sure which does more by way of calming or energizing but with biotests rhodiola I felt more relaxed but alert, kinda more clear headed if that clarifies. Helped alot with mood too. Im still guna try something different and see what I prefer.

P

Pec.Major

Awards
  • Established
I recall reading a study that noted a combination of salidroside and rosavin was more effective than just salidroside. There's nothing inherently special about the 3/1 ratio, and the SHR-5 extract that has a ton of research supporting its effectiveness was closer to 3/2.
Dose it matter which RR product you go with? Is the SHR-5 extract superior then bulk RR or other capped extract?

I can get rhodiola rosea at 500mg caps with 15mg rosavin, 7,5salidrosides from a local store. Which is a 3/1.5 ratio between rosavin/salidrosides. Its much cheaper then buying SHR-5 extract product.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dose it matter which RR product you go with? Is the SHR-5 extract superior then bulk RR or other capped extract?

I can get rhodiola rosea at 500mg caps with 15mg rosavin, 7,5salidrosides from a local store. Which is a 3/1.5 ratio between rosavin/salidrosides. Its much cheaper then buying SHR-5 extract product.
You don't need the SHR-5 extract, just one with both salidroside and rosavin IMO. 3% r and 1% s is common, but I prefer the 3% r and 2% s, and the extract you mentioned is right between the two, and is good. I'd consider staring with 1/2 a cap, but that's up to you.

P

Pec.Major

Awards
  • Established
You don't need the SHR-5 extract, just one with both salidroside and rosavin IMO. 3% r and 1% s is common, but I prefer the 3% r and 2% s, and the extract you mentioned is right between the two, and is good. I'd consider staring with 1/2 a cap, but that's up to you.
Alright, great. Yes I was thinking the same, Open up the caps and start with 1/2.

How much do you take daily? Seen any difference in mood/vitality/performance between different doses?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright, great. Yes I was thinking the same, Open up the caps and start with 1/2.

How much do you take daily? Seen any difference in mood/vitality/performance between different doses?
I use ~250mg (1/2 cap) of a 3%r & 2%s extract. I just started using it again, and I stack it with some other things, but I do find it helps with mood and fatigue a bit, which is nice. I've just seen studies showing even low doses can be effective, and very high doses don't seem to have additional benefits beyond moderate doses, so I'd rather save a bit of money haha.