Aspartame

1. Registered User

Aspartame

Scientists at the National Cancer Institute conducted a five year study in humans to determine if the diet soda sweetener aspartame increased the risk of developing cancer. No increased risk was found among more than half a million older Americans.

"It goes a fair way toward allaying concerns about aspartame," said Michael Jacobson, head of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Italian researchers last year had reported increases in cancer rates in rats from aspertame.

"It's very reassuring. It's a large study with a lot of power," said Richard Adamson, with the American Beverage Association. [But] "Drinking a diet soda at lunch does not mean it's okay to have a larger dessert at dinner," a science group warns.

2. Registered User

What's NOT reassuring is that aspartame can be used as an ant killer. I had an ant problem a while back an in my search this was considered to help kill the colony. Something about disrupting their natural digestion process
  3. Board Supporter

Got a reference to the study?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

all while im drinking my diet lipton green tea... bummer
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.

haven't there also been plenty of independent studies done revealing aspartame's harmful effects on health? if i remember the numbers right, it was something around 90 studies done: 83 of which revealed a problem or problems caused by aspartame.

either way, stevia has already received the FDA's approval so hopefully we can see a transition soon.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.

got a reference?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by purebred View Post
    haven't there also been plenty of independent studies done revealing aspartame's harmful effects on health? if i remember the numbers right, it was something around 90 studies done: 83 of which revealed a problem or problems caused by aspartame.

either way, stevia has already received the FDA's approval so hopefully we can see a transition soon.
    I will see what I can find. I agree with the above. There is a reason that stevia was pulled from the shelves at walmart, etc as a sweetener. Now you have to go to a natural food store to find it. It's not allowed to be marketed as a sweetener in certain stores.

It is also IMO addictive. Look at all the diet coke addicts, diet pepsi. I firmly believe right along with Michael J Fox that his addiction to Diet Pepsi/Aspartame at least increased his risk of parkinson's or made it a lot worse. If I stop and think about it, I can name numerous people that are in fact addicted. But, the same can be said about junk food. Just my two cents.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MMAMONSTER19 View Post
    got a reference?
    http://www.dorway.com/nonindus.html
    http://www.dorway.com/industry.html

note the funding sources. it's no secret most of the pro-aspartame clinical trials conducted were flawed and altered therefore completely useless in the scientific community.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

They are now putting aspartame in almost everything you buy in the grocery store (they can just call it "artifficial flavor"), and also a lot of MSG. Now I try to stay away from all of those foods, even the protein with sucralose.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jdg487 View Post
    They are now putting aspartame in almost everything you buy in the grocery store (they can just call it "artifficial flavor"), and also a lot of MSG. Now I try to stay away from all of those foods, even the protein with sucralose.
    MSG is hidden under many different disguises as well. an overwhelming amount of other ingredients either contain MSG or create MSG during processing. it's crazy how these ingredients are being forced into our food supply...
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by purebred View Post
    MSG is hidden under many different disguises as well. an overwhelming amount of other ingredients either contain MSG or create MSG during processing. it's crazy how these ingredients are being forced into our food supply...
    Seriously, you can't trust any food that you did not grow yourself these days, it's really sad
  12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by joshingyou View Post
    What's NOT reassuring is that aspartame can be used as an ant killer. I had an ant problem a while back an in my search this was considered to help kill the colony. Something about disrupting their natural digestion process
    difference in intake amount v body mass, digestive systems, etc.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by vadox6466 View Post
    difference in intake amount v body mass, digestive systems, etc.
    this just sounds to me like it simply takes longer to achieve the same desired results as when used on ants. "take that Americans." lol
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. ADA declares Aspartame safe
    By CryingEmo in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
  2. New study finds aspartame carcinogenic in small amounts
    By stream187 in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 08:47 AM
  3. Artificial sugar - aspartame/sucralose
    By MarcusG in forum Weight Loss