Afgan Christian Faces Death Penalty:

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Afghanistan says fate of convert up to the court
Man could face death penalty if he refuses to return to Islam

Updated: 6:13 a.m. ET March 22, 2006
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghanistan said on Wednesday the judiciary would rule on a man facing death for converting to Christianity after the United States and three NATO allies with troops in Afghanistan urged respect for religious freedom.

An Afghan judge said this week a man named Abdur Rahman had been jailed for converting from Islam to Christianity and could face the death penalty if he refused to become a Muslim again.

Sharia, or Islamic law, stipulates death for apostasy. Afghanistan’s legal system is based on a mixture of civil and sharia law.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We in Afghanistan have the prosecutor who observes the law and the court that executes it. Whatever the court orders will be executed as the court is independent,” said Mahaiuddin Baluch, an adviser on religious affairs to President Hamid Karzai.

International outcry
The case has raised alarm in the United States and Europe and is sensitive for Karzai.

The president depends on foreign troops to battle Taliban and al-Qaida militants, and foreign aid to support the economy, but also has to take into consideration the views of conservative proponents of Islamic law.

Asked about the international outcry, Baluch said: “Everybody has the right to express their view.”

The United States, which counts Karzai as a key ally in the region, raised the case with visiting Afghan Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah on Tuesday, calling on Kabul to uphold Afghan citizens’ constitutional right to choose their faith.

“We hope that the Afghan constitution is going to be upheld and in our view, if it’s upheld, then of course he’ll be found to be innocent,” said Nicholas Burns, the U.S. State Department’s third-ranked diplomat.

Italian Foreign Minister Gianfranco Fini has said Rahman would probably not be executed.

Fini, whose country was one of the four with troops in Afghanistan to speak out about the case, told Italian television late on Tuesday he had indications the Islamic punishment for apostasy would not be imposed on Abdul Rahman.

“From what I’ve been told, and I have no reason to doubt it, the death sentence will not be carried out,” said Fini. He gave no other details.

Campaign to withdrawal Italian troops
Earlier, Italy called in the Afghan ambassador in Rome, two Berlin cabinet ministers spoke out and Germany’s top Catholic cardinal demanded Rahman’s freedom. Canada said it was concerned and urged Kabul to meet its human rights obligations.

Former Italian President Francesco Cossiga wrote to Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, now campaigning for re-election, and urged him to withdraw Italian troops from Afghanistan unless he won assurances from Kabul over Rahman’s safety.

Abdullah said his government had “nothing to do” with the judicial case, but added: “I hope that through our constitutional process, there will be a satisfactory result.”

The Afghan embassy in Washington had received “hundreds of messages” from Americans about the case, Abdullah said.

“I know that it is a very sensitive issue and we know the concerns of the American people,” he said.

One political analyst in Kabul said the case might hinge on differing interpretations of the constitution.

Afghanistan is a conservative Islamic country and 99 per cent of its more than 25 million people are Muslim. A court sentenced two Afghan journalists to death for blasphemy three years ago but they escaped and sought asylum abroad.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
II Timothy
3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

I'd be glad if I were him, but they probably won't enforce the penalty anyway.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
Yay, this sha'll doth be the first case in this country which sha'll then be ruled in favor of religious understanding and diversity... this will be the mile stone, and ground work so they all may see .. " see how much better this country is"

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
and people say that we are the evil ones......

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
dude.. we are evil... we made a dictator live up to the 16 UN resolutions passed against him... how dare we... we also took that clear pepsi off the market.... we are spreading our walmart empire.. that just gave 150K jobs in china.. uhmm.. ok now this is the WORST.. when the ice cream man drives by.. we yell STOP!!! from the windows of our house to watch him back up and wait.... for no one.....oh yeah we wish for India to hold nuclear abilities but while at the same time we tell Iran they can't. It doesn't matter that India wants to be a part of the IAEA and Iran wants to poop on the IAEA....ok i'm done... and last but not least.. YOUR AVATAR PICTURE MRS GIMPY!

;-)

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
religion is responsible for more wars and more deaths over the span of history than i cant count. the funny thing is that islam and christianity both have the same god, ony christians consider jesus divine and muslims consider him only a prophet.

its funny how almost every religion holds some of the same doctrine. "our religion is the ONE AND ONLY way to salvation". conversion of others is of course, a must. its amazing how there are thousands of different religions, ALL EQUALLY CONVINCED OF THEIR OWN LEGITAMACY.

religions can overlap 99% but people are willing to kill over that 1% people dont agree on, even if their opposing religons branched from the same religion. people can kill and torture each other over trivial points in doctrine, fanatical leaders can lead thousands or million in whatever direction they desire based on "faith".

religion may have been necessary to hold people together at one point, and still serves its purpose in this fashion occasionally, otherwise i would say it is one of the greatest evils mankind has ever known

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The irony of invading Afghanistan but allowing state executions of apostates notwithstanding the feeble pleas of the governer of Kabul.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
religion is responsible for more wars and more deaths over the span of history than i cant count. the funny thing is that islam and christianity both have the same god, ony christians consider jesus divine and muslims consider him only a prophet.
You left out the whole part about the core beliefs of all 3 Abrahamaic religions are held to be blasphemous by each other.

Associating a human being with God, even a prophet like Jesus is the ultimate blasphemy in Islam.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
yeah! and i bet they don't know how to use the 3 sea shells!

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established

its funny how almost every religion holds some of the same doctrine. "our religion is the ONE AND ONLY way to salvation". conversion of others is of course, a must. its amazing how there are thousands of different religions, ALL EQUALLY CONVINCED OF THEIR OWN LEGITAMACY.

religions can overlap 99% but people are willing to kill over that 1% people dont agree on, even if their opposing religons branched from the same religion. people can kill and torture each other over trivial points in doctrine, fanatical leaders can lead thousands or million in whatever direction they desire based on "faith".

religion may have been necessary to hold people together at one point, and still serves its purpose in this fashion occasionally, otherwise i would say it is one of the greatest evils mankind has ever known
MONOtheistic religions, particulary those of the Abrahamic tradition are the cause of 90% of the problem.

Why else would an Evangelical Church adopt an Isreali settlement in the west bank if not to bring about the endtime as they see it? http://www.theocracywatch.org/christian_zionism.htm

Caution opposing viewpoint:run:

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
sure.. i agree.. because that has been the most common view and understand of relgion in the past couple thousand years... the one god theory...

but ask Conan about Krum and his wars.. :blink:

religion is great.. if you can form a social system that doesn't care about their neighbor ( in some ways) ... America started out to be much like islamic nations.. but now.. we have been taught the don't ask don't tell aspect of life regarding... politics, religion, and sex....so here we are today.

I am shocked and in awe of how many people live in the USA... and how much the majority of the people do not care... that is awesome... one of the best aspects of a form of economic society we have... everyone for themselves.. but.. we get to enjoy what those people bring forth... mostly.. FOOD lol

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
too bad that woman's head will be removed from her body in 4 days

spitboy2000

Board Supporter
Awards
this is yet another example that the threat we are facing is not a "tiny minority of extremists" but emerges straight from the Koran and many "moderate" Muslims themselves. Witness the recent case of the North Carolina Muslim terrorist who was a "normal" college student until he decided he had to kill the infidels.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/010737.php

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
People are the problem, not religion. You can become an extremist about anything. Religion is only a tool used by those already demented enough to cause harm to others.

James
1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
But people made religion....and in seminary i learned that being made by man, religion is flawed... there is no religion in God but only created to help those with lesser minds of God to understand..... to find a place.. to make secure....

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
But people made religion....and in seminary i learned that being made by man, religion is flawed... there is no religion in God but only created to help those with lesser minds of God to understand..... to find a place.. to make secure....

my thoughts exactly.

:thumbsup:

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
People are the problem, not religion. You can become an extremist about anything. Religion is only a tool used by those already demented enough to cause harm to others.

James
1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
religion was created by man. it was created as a means of control and serves that purpose today especially in the islamic tradition. organized religion is held in the hands of men, not god, and is as corrupt as the people wielding the power. 1 person can lay down the doctrine for millions/billions with some careful wordplay or perhaps a few "visions". the world would be a better place if organized religion was done away with altogether.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I know that the Qur'an is a legitimate and authoritative holy scripture since it is completely validated by modern science and also mathematically encoded with the number 19 beyond human ability.
<-- fron the article you posted.

I don't know how he can call himself intelligent and then give this statement no how the quran is validated by modern science. what a douchebag...

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
religion was created by man. it was created as a means of control and serves that purpose today especially in the islamic tradition. organized religion is held in the hands of men, not god, and is as corrupt as the people wielding the power. 1 person can lay down the doctrine for millions/billions with some careful wordplay or perhaps a few "visions". the world would be a better place if organized religion was done away with altogether.
Like Hitler and Stalin better? Sign me up!!!!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
People kill over money and love so would it be evil to love and have money ? I think not. Religion is great when used properly, just like anything, just like steroids.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Religion in and of itself is quite good. It is when the HUMAN tries to enter upon the divine that the problems start.

Any Fundies, and I mean any, that literally interpet scripture as the ONLY Divine revelation of GOD belongs to them sets up conflict. The human need to feel superior as in ONLY WE have the truth is the problem. Then we get into the wackos that think they personally must bring about the revelation as if GOD has personally chosen ONLY them to work in the world. And don`t feel your superior because we as a so called Christian Nation* don`t have suicide bombers. We are just much more subtle than that.

Come on people WAKE UP! Scripture is meant to inspire and uplift, to take us to a higher place of exisistance. Not to be weilded in verbal combat like a sword.
Or used as a weapon in a real war.

*Exactly when this happened I am not sure. "In God we trust" is not in any of the founding Documents. And "One Nation under God " was added to the pledge in the 1950`s.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Actually, the oathe, "So help me God" was insitituted by good ol' George Washington.

The bloody Constitution is wrought with faith statements.

I beleive the Liberty Bell has a Bible passage engraved on it. So yeah, "its" been going on quite some time.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Actually, the oathe, "So help me God" was insitituted by good ol' George Washington.

The bloody Constitution is wrought with faith statements.

I beleive the Liberty Bell has a Bible passage engraved on it. So yeah, "its" been going on quite some time.
The word GOD does not appear in the constitution...:blink: or Jesus or Christianity.

Don`t read Deism to mean Theism.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I really can give a rats ass about a christian nation, I don't have any conviction of the sort.

However, I think its ridiculous of non-christians to think that there wasn't significant influence on the constitution by christianity. God, as the christians know him, is definitely "a part of" (not in writing per se) the constitution and the foundation of America as is christianity...it is our foundation and its ridiculous to think otherwise.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I really can give a rats ass about a christian nation, I don't have any conviction of the sort.

However, I think its ridiculous of non-christians to think that there wasn't significant influence on the constitution by christianity. God, as the christians know him, is definitely "a part of" (not in writing per se) the constitution and the foundation of America as is christianity...it is our foundation and its ridiculous to think otherwise.
Oh you will care... as the Nation becomes more of a Theocracy.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Oh you will care... as the Nation becomes more of a Theocracy.
I don't see this supposed 'problem' with christians taking over. I'm no christian and I see the reverse happening. I see christianity, once a foundation of our nation, being removed. People don't like change.

Christians in the modern west, IMO,have become VERY TOLERANT of other religions. Yes, according to them we may all be going to hell, but we're not being persecuted. They only wish for the same respect.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The Dec. of Ind. was a Deist input not a theists

http://www.deism.com/paine_essay01.htm
A deist in a christian world. That means he probably just didnt' take the bible literally. Does't mean a whole lot, otherwise.

Plus, the argument is the mention of God in founding documents and our founding fathers belief in a god. He may have been a diest, but his diest beliefs were probably largely influenced by Christianity. Highly doubtful that he believed in more than one entity.

Not that it should matter anyway...is a non-christian diest better than a christian? Will they make better decisiosn?

I really don't see what the argument is here.

If you want God separate from our founding fathers and documents, it should be any and all god(s), not just the christian God.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I don't see this supposed 'problem' with christians taking over. I'm no christian and I see the reverse happening. I see christianity, once a foundation of our nation, being removed. People don't like change.

Christians in the modern west, IMO,have become VERY TOLERANT of other religions. Yes, according to them we may all be going to hell, but we're not being persecuted. They only wish for the same respect.
Then you won`t mind a return to the Middleages then? Maybe the Spanish Inquisition would be to your liking.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
A deist in a christian world. That means he probably just didnt' take the bible literally. Does't mean a whole lot, otherwise.

Plus, the argument is the mention of God in founding documents and our founding fathers belief in a god. He may have been a diest, but his diest beliefs were probably largely influenced by Christianity. Highly doubtful that he believed in more than one entity.

Not that it should matter anyway...is a non-christian diest better than a christian? Will they make better decisiosn?

If you want God separate from our founding fathers and documents, it should be any and all god(s), not just the christian God.
God brings moral values to humanity. Theology brings Dogmatic rules and regulations and eventualy PERSECUTION!

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
"For the Lord's sake accept the authority of every human institution, whether of the emperor as supreme, or of governors, as sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to praise those who do right." 1 Peter 2:13

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities; for there is no authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resist authority resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment."
Romans 13:1

Follow these and there wouldn`t be an "American Revolution"

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established

The founding fathers were students of the "European Enlightenment" and as such saw the persecution of the Puritans and the Quakers ect... by the church of England. Who b y the way broke away from the Roman church due to... you guessed it PERSECUTION!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Then you won`t mind a return to the Middleages then? Maybe the Spanish Inquisition would be to your liking.
You're making no sense. You cannot relate the Christian of today to the christian of hundreds of years ago.

I'm "here" and "now". Defining a group based of of ancestral decisions is quite unfair.

Trust me, i get irritated by the constant badgering, but I'd hardly say they persecute anybody--at least not as a whole.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
God brings moral values to humanity. Theology brings Dogmatic rules and regulations and eventualy PERSECUTION!
Man brought moral values to humanity. Man also brought theology to humanity. Its not a religion problem, or a god problem, its a people problem. Different religions will be different because of what people did/said/do/say, etc.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established

Follow these and there wouldn`t be an "American Revolution"
I'm not trying to justify the bible.

And, if you're trying to demonize it, that quote is very 'weak' compared to other verses from other religious text.

i don't care to debate religious text, philosophy, etc.

I'm in there "here" and "now" of the actiosn of certain groups. Actions speak louder than words, and definitely much louder than a religious text does for an entire group.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The founding fathers were students of the "European Enlightenment" and as such saw the persecution of the Puritans and the Quakers ect... by the church of England. Who b y the way broke away from the Roman church due to... you guessed it PERSECUTION!
Yes...everybody knows that the roman catholic church has a horrendous "history". What does taht mean "today"? Not much...I still disagree wtih the church, but you cannot compare it to what is going on NOW.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
You're making no sense. You cannot relate the Christian of today to the christian of hundreds of years ago.

I'm "here" and "now". Defining a group based of of ancestral decisions is quite unfair.

Trust me, i get irritated by the constant badgering, but I'd hardly say they persecute anybody--at least not as a whole.
Research Dominionism and tell me then.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Research Dominionism and tell me then.
Research consipiracy theory and you've got my perspective.

I understand that large institutions have shady dealings...they all do. And yes, I'm sure the RC church would love to dominate the world again. but, what does that mean about the "people" who define christianity? nothing. their actiosn define them. so far, they're very tolerant here iand NOW.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Research consipiracy theory and you've got my perspective.

I understand that large institutions have shady dealings...they all do. And yes, I'm sure the RC church would love to dominate the world again. but, what does that mean about the "people" who define christianity? nothing. their actiosn define them. so far, they're very tolerant here iand NOW.
I also mentioned the Church of England not just Rome.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The Church of England was modeled after the Roman Catholic Church. It was only formed because of royal disagreement with the church (the whore king wanted a divorce). They were almost the same person in a different suit.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
The Church of England was modeled after the Roman Catholic Church. It was only formed because of royal disagreement with the church (the whore king wanted a divorce). They were almost the same person in a different suit.
There were 2 breaks not just 1. And the 1st may have started about the divorce but ended with the pillage of the Church.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Ofcourse it was Augustin set it up.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Just to clarify my position so those that I care about here that consider themselves Christians don`t feel insulted.

I do not Demonize Christianity or Christians or the Bible. I couldn`t. Because although I walk a Buddhist path the teachings of Jesus are near and dear to me. There are leaps of faith that I am unwilling at this time to take to be called simply Christian.

However there has been a movement that started a long time ago to reclaim the USA as the "Dominion of Christ"*.
Call me crazy or a nut, it`s been done before, but I do see too many things that are more than coincidence. And after reading many of the writings of the leaders of these movements I sincerly hope to be proved a wacko along with a lot of other extremely knowledgeable folks.

*Christian Reconstructionism