Water on one of Saturn's Moons!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11736311/

Awwww yeah!!! :drunk:

Scientists have found evidence that cold, Yellowstone-like geysers of water are issuing from a moon of Saturn called Enceladus, apparently fueled by liquid reservoirs that may lie just tens of yards beneath the moon's icy surface.

The surprising discovery, detailed in Friday's issue of the journal Science, could shoot Enceladus to the top of the list in the search for life elsewhere in our solar system. Scientists described it as the most important discovery in planetary science in a quarter-century.

"I think this is important enough that we will see a redirection in the planetary exploration program," Carolyn Porco, head of the imaging team for the Cassini mission to Saturn, told MSNBC.com. "We've just brought Enceladus up to the forefront as a major target of astrobiological interest."

The readings from Enceladus' geyser plumes indicate that all the prerequisites for life as we know it could exist beneath Enceladus' surface, Porco said.

"Living organisms require liquid water and organic materials, and we know we have both on Enceladus now," she said. "The plumes through which Cassini flew last July contain methane, contain CO2, propane — they contain several organic materials."

The third necessary ingredient — energy for fueling life's processes — could exist around hydrothermal vents around the bottom of Enceladus' water reservoirs, just as it does around Earth's deep-ocean hydrothermal vents.

The results impressed University of Colorado planetary scientist Robert Pappalardo, who has studied Enceladus and other icy moons but was not involved in the newly published research.

"I think the discovery of activity on Enceladus is about the most exciting discovery in planetary science since the volcanoes of Io," he said, referring to the detection of volcanic activity on Jupiter's moon by the Voyager probe in 1979.

The findings unveiled Thursday are based on imagery as well as temperature readings from Cassini, a U.S-European spacecraft that has been studying the ringed planet and its moons since 2004.

The precise sources of the geysers could not be spotted directly, because Cassini's camera isn't quite good enough to spot the bright spray of water and ice crystals against the bright ice on Enceladus' surface, said imaging team member Andrew Ingersoll, an atmospheric scientist at the California Institute of Technology.

However, Cassini's camera repeatedly recorded the spray of ice crystals and water vapor from Enceladus' south polar region, backlit by sunlight. That imagery allowed researchers to trace the source back to the mysterious dark "tiger stripes" previously seen on Enceladus.

Researchers investigated several possibilities for the origin of the geysers, including the idea that the contents were driven by warm ice turning directly into vapor, or consisted of a cometlike slurry of ice and dirt.

The Cassini team found that the spray from the geysers was composed of equal proportions of ice and water vapor. That ruled out the "warm ice" model as well as the "comet" model, Porco said. The best remaining model was that the geyser was driven by liquid water beneath the surface.

"We arrived at our last model, and in some ways somewhat reluctantly, because this is a pretty extraordinary result," she said. "Like [the late astronomer] Carl Sagan was fond of saying, 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.'"

The imaging team's conclusion was supported by the temperature readings from Cassini's infrared spectrometer: Although the surface temperatures were far below freezing, the readings showed relatively warm spots in the south polar region, centering on the tiger stripes. Scientists traced the internal heating patterns that could create such warm spots, and concluded that temperatures could be above freezing mere yards beneath the surface.

"It can be warm enough 10 meters or so beneath the surface," Porco explained, "and there's enough pressure to keep liquid water stable at that depth."

Still more supporting evidence came from an analysis of the ice surrounding the "tiger stripe" cracks. That ice was amorphous and virtually crater-free, indicating that it welled up relatively recently.

Cassini's images showed that the geysers rose hundreds of miles above the surface. Based on the imagery, researchers concluded that most of the ice crystals fell back to the surface as snow. Some of the ice escaped Enceladus' gravity field to become part of a wide, thin ring of Saturn known as the E ring.

Boiling water beneath the surface?
The Cassini team theorized that water could be heated to the boiling point far beneath the surface, pushing up through the "tiger stripe" cracks, Porco said. The source of the heating could be molten rock, perhaps extending nearer to the surface in the south pole region, she said.

"If you have molten rock, then we really are playing the game of looking possibly at an environment that is conducive to living organisms," Porco said. "If this is correct, we've just hit the ball out of the park. It doesn't really get much more exciting than this. If this is all we did on Cassini, this would have made the mission worthwhile."

The types of living organisms Porco and astrobiologists have in mind aren't little green men or even little green fish. Rather, they're more likely to be microbes that have adapted to the type of sunless, chemical-fueled environment seen around Earth's hydrothermal vents. For years, scientists have theorized that such environments might exist beneath the similarly icy surface of Europa, a moon of Jupiter, or beneath the surface soil of Mars.

Years of further research
It will literally take years to follow up on Cassini's findings about Enceladus: Although the spacecraft made three close flybys of the moon in 2005, the next close encounter isn't scheduled until 2008. Porco said the Cassini team is already working to change the probe's orbit to get closer to the moon, and she said it would be imperative for the Cassini mission to get an extension beyond 2008 for even more encounters.

"It would be insanity to think that we wouldn't get it, based on this discovery," she said.

Ingersoll said observations need to be repeated to solidify the case for liquid water on Enceladus. "I'd be perfectly happy to do this again, just to see how much variability there is," he said.

One of the big unanswered questions has to do with why so much heat is emanating from such a little moon. The Saturnian system is about 890 million miles (1.4 billion kilometers) from the sun, so sunlight isn't much of a factor. Moreover, Enceladus is just 309 miles (500 kilometers) wide, compared with Europa's diameter of 1,940 miles (3,138 kilometers).

On Europa, internal heat is thought to be generated by a molten core as well as tidal flexing. But on Enceladus, the calculations for such effects fall short by a factor of 10, Porco said.

Some scientists have theorized that Enceladus is an asymmetric moon, with a small molten core that's off-center. That could explain why the warm spots are concentrated in the south polar region, and why Enceladus might have regional reservoirs of liquid water rather than a global subsurface ocean. However, scientists would have to explain how the core came to be off-center in the first place.

New scientific frontiers
Pappalardo said the research related to Enceladus' geysers suggested many more scientific questions yet to be answered.

"I think it certainly elevates the priority of further Enceladus exploration, by the Cassini spacecraft first off," he said. "We really need to understand what's going on there. What kind of plumbing is there on Enceladus? What could be maintaining the liquid, if there really is a reservoir of liquid water within?"

Like Pappalardo, Brown University planetary scientist James Head ranked the results from Enceladus alongside the 1979 discovery of Io's volcanoes. Head, an expert on Europa, said the findings could help reverse NASA cutbacks in space science missions. For example, NASA recently put a proposed mission to Europa and Jupiter's other icy moons on hold.

"People are really striving to try to reverse that, because it is such a clear imperative," he told MSNBC.com.

Porco said that the evidence for liquid water could well put Enceladus ahead of Europa as a priority for further exploration, but Head said one icy moon shouldn't be pitted against another.

"These are the kinds of exciting results that exploration is all about," he said. "I wouldn’t say it would change the ranking on Europa vs. Enceladus. What it really says that we need to get off our butts and explore Europa — because the same kind of exploration is going to give us hundreds of insights about comparable things."

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
Awwww yeah!!! :drunk:
i was thinking the same thing when i heard about this!!

i was going to post a similar article to this one actually.....before i side tracked by the bug bite woman....lol

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Another recent event in science is that they discovered a blind, furry lobster that lives about 7000 feet below the surface of the ocean.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I'm waiting to see video of Megaladon, it only supposedly went extinct 50,000 years ago and at least one oceanographer has gone on record as saying they've seen 40+ foot Great Whites/Megaladons at the deep deaths of the Pacific.

I was going to edit the, ****ing bed bugs, deep deaths mispelling, but it now seems an appropriate freudian type slip when talking about a shark four times or more the mass of Jaws. :run:

I'll see if I can hunt y'all up a OMG! link on sightings of this maybe still around sea monster.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
No ****, really?

Scientists also recently discovered a rodent that was believed to have been extinct for 11,000 years.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The most exciting extict animal that may still be alive is that small homonid on Florens or whatever that island is. There are local stories of 'little people' who used to raid their supplies and storehouses, which may indicate there were roaming tribes of the little hobbit-like homonids very recently in history and they may still be there.

That furry lobster is freaky. Remember, the oceans represent a significant percentage of our planet's surface, and it's more than possible for a boatload of animals to hide in that vast, unexplored area without being discovered. The environment is hostile towards humans, so we've extremely limited access. t would be so awesome if some really did find a lost world of sorts one day.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
****, CDB, my Megaladon can eat an entire village of your Hobbits in an afternoon, and still have room for half a whale, now that's exciting.

It's possible those little guys are still around?, I saw a portion of a Discovery show on them, tiny little humans types,like waist high to us, one of many now presumably extinct humanoid species with Homo Sapiens the sole? survivor.

Pre Pygmy littleins must be under the protection of Bigfoot to have survived and gone unnoticed.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
The most exciting extict animal that may still be alive is that small homonid on Florens or whatever that island is. There are local stories of 'little people' who used to raid their supplies and storehouses, which may indicate there were roaming tribes of the little hobbit-like homonids very recently in history and they may still be there.
I've seen quite a few shows on human evolution in recent weeks. I was actually going to start a discussion on evolution since many people still don't believe we evolved from apes over 4 million years ago despite the evidence. The show I watched on the "Hobbit's" of Floren Island was pretty interesting. They have found several remains of a civilization that existed over 13000 years ago who were half the size of humans. Though there is no solid proof they still exist today despite the so called eye witness accounts.

As far as life on another planet, there are billions of galaxies in an infinite universe filled with as many planets as there are grains of sand on earth. There is bound to be some form of intelligent life and definately any form of life on one of these planets.

Very interesting topics.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Good find, Dalla Hunga ... Whatever that means :)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
****, CDB, my Megaladon can eat an entire village of your Hobbits in an afternoon, and still have room for half a whale, now that's exciting.
Don't get me wrong, I love Megaladon. Especially that famous pic of a bunch of scientists standing inside the bones of its mouth. I just think what we could learn about ourselves from those little hobbits would be pretty significant and in the grand scheme of things worth a little more. However, getting a megaladon, a giant squid or even a modern variant of any large and/or thought to be extinct/virtually unknown marine animal would definitely be cool as hell.

It's possible those little guys are still around?, I saw a portion of a Discovery show on them, tiny little humans types,like waist high to us, one of many now presumably extinct humanoid species with Homo Sapiens the sole? survivor.
There are apparently tales and legends in the area of groups of small people who raided villages for supplies. So I would guess it's just possible they are still around in some way or another. Which would be awesome. And with the discovery of animals that were previously thought to be extinct, it's kind of exciting, if far fetched, to think perhaps other variants of humans are alive in isolated pockets of the world.

Pre Pygmy littleins must be under the protection of Bigfoot to have survived and gone unnoticed.
Not really. It's weird but people don't realize just how much of this Earth is just kind of sitting there, waiting to be used and explored. Even in the US there are these massive areas of land where there is little to no modern footprint stamped, and animals could have survived unnoticed for a long, long time. And that's just the land, not counting the oceans and what's possibly under the land, in the rocks etc. Certain types of bacteria actually live in rocks in the arctic regions. That's just plain weird. I think there's a whole lot left to discover on this globe of ours, especially in the oceans. The protective shell humans have built for themselves is vcery small and fragile. People just don't realize it, until someone gets eaten by a shark or a bear or something, and then they realize how close we are to cold brutality of this globe. It's exilerating in way.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I remembered hearing that Dutch settlers in the 1600s reported the one meter tall homonids still existed. The native people tricked them into a cave and then set the cave on fire.

When they discovered the "Garden of Eden" a month back, I expected them to find them running around but looks like they didn't. There's still some unexplored rainforests so maybe there's some left.

The Deep Ocean probably has lots of animals that were thought to be extinct. The oceans are so big and hard to explore that we'll probably be discovering more and more animals there. Its fascinating, at least it is to me. I can't wait to see what new discoveries are being made in our planet.

I'm still curious as to whether there still is a Bigfoot or not. I was watching something on the History Channel about it and apparently no serious effort has been done to see if it exists.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I remembered hearing that Dutch settlers in the 1600s reported the one meter tall homonids still existed. The native people tricked them into a cave and then set the cave on fire.
I saw that show too. The legend of the little people is still told by the people of Sumatra. From what I remember, they would tolerate the hobbits stealing their food and whatnot but then one day they killed a baby (HomoSapein baby), so they took them out.

BV

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Well, CDB, obviously I need to remember to use the appropriate flippant emoticon when making jesting comments towards you, i.e. Bigfoot.

Could'nt find a link that has reference to the supposed Super size shark sighting, it was a footnote in an article I came across about Great Whites, something along the lines of " Oceanographer So and so of the so and so association has reported giant sharks, similar to but diffirent than Great Whites seen at 4000 feet in the Pacific".

Of course, not everything is on the net, maybe it was just a tall fish tale, or retracted due to the reaction of his/her peers.

There's seems to be a debate among Cryptozoologists about the age of Meg teeth found, some say they are all ancient, some say some are as recent as 20 years old, and a good point, IMO, they make is that Meg was a shallow water creature that would be unlikely to be able to adapt to the deep water.

Given the tiny fraction of the ocean we've explored, it's possible that Meg and the Kraken are down there, I guess.

Maybe I should'nt go out on a speculative limb again, but I did see a Patrick Stewart Narrated science show on Dragons, supposedly creatures that used Hydrogen for flight boyancy and flamethrowing. No, not Matthew McConahey spinning a gear induced delusion to hype a movie. I have to wonder how many mythic creatures actually did or do still exist and who knows what we might find when we get through the ice of Europa.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I'm still curious as to whether there still is a Bigfoot or not. I was watching something on the History Channel about it and apparently no serious effort has been done to see if it exists.
Technically it did exist, way back when there was this massive homonid that lived in far western Europe/Asia called gigantopithacus that could have actually crossed the land bridge and ended up in the pacific northwest of the US. Check out Wikipedia and you'll see entries for Gigantopithecus, Paranthropus and Meganthropus. All three did exist, though there's some argument to how tall they actually got. Meganthropus I just learned about on the site, apparently some people claim they reached hieghts of 9 feet and around 1000 pounds. Sounds far fetched, but when you consider the various different sizes of other animals that exist within the same groupings, it's perhaps possible that giant humans or human like animals did exist at one time.

Nine feet tall and 1000lbs of almost pure muscle. Despite the difficulties of living with such proportions as a modern human, I got to admit it is tempting.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
It would be cool if the Wooly Rhino were still around. That's my favorite ice-age era mammal.

BV

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I got ya Wooly Rhino right here, Pal :twisted:

Weird **** that I have no way to explain - the thousands?, millions? of people who think they have been alien abducted, WTF?!

Nessie seems like BS, Loch Ness is a virtually dead lake, not enough life there to sustain or attract a large dinosaur to, even if it's coming in from the sea.

I think there's some pretty serious Bigfoot searching going on, foot prints, hair samples and DNA testing, video and audio survellience.

Spartan117

Awards
I believe we'll find life on another planet. We keep finding new life on this plant (furry lobster), but it kinda seems like scientists are looking for life similar to what is on earth (bacteria). It is possible that there are things living that we cannot conceive. What if some non-carbon based life were possible in another environment... too Sci-FI? Even if we did find a bacteria of some sort living on another planet much of the population would probably not consider it significant enough to call life especially the religous groups because their faith would have to be called into question. Anyways just some thoughts... I love space exploration and what we may find. I think the current manned trip to Mars in2030 will be something huge.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Wait, wait, wait. There is a race or creed or whatever of Umpa Lumpas???

Holy Sh*t!!!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I got ya Wooly Rhino right here, Pal :twisted:

Weird **** that I have no way to explain - the thousands?, millions? of people who think they have been alien abducted, WTF?!
Weirdly enough that's explainable. There have been a couple of experiments with exposing people, more specifically their brains, to strong EM fields and they report similar experiences to alien abductions, if not as intense. A shift in the Earth's crust, a minor or major earthquake in other words, can release strong EM fields. Take those EM fields and throw them into a situation where there's a lot of adrenaline and fear, alien abductions as the result of exposure to strong EM fields in seriously stressful cirumstances aren't too far fetched. Probably just really intense hallucinations, when they're not just total BS.

Bigfoot was real, I guess it's possible a small population of them could have survived. What I find interesting is that a lot legends like Bigfoot seem to have a basis in fact, but that mean we are aware of these animals before we've found fossils through some sort of exposure to them. So they're either really old stories based on real experiences, or they're recent stories. Both possibilities are pretty wild, that either a story about a large homonid or the homonid itself could survive so long is pretty cool.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Weirdly enough that's explainable. There have been a couple of experiments with exposing people, more specifically their brains, to strong EM fields and they report similar experiences to alien abductions, if not as intense. A shift in the Earth's crust, a minor or major earthquake in other words, can release strong EM fields. Take those EM fields and throw them into a situation where there's a lot of adrenaline and fear, alien abductions as the result of exposure to strong EM fields in seriously stressful cirumstances aren't too far fetched. Probably just really intense hallucinations, when they're not just total BS.
Ever experience a solid case of sleep paralysis? That could definitely explain a LOT of the alien abduction stores. AA's seem to be a culture specific thing as well...for instance in Mexico they're in a 'UFO' craze at the moment with people reporting sightings all the time like the US back in the 60's. And yet nearly no one speaks of Alien Abductions...it seems to be US specific.

Of course, maybe they're just kidnapping Americans:)

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Sorry guys, but some of you are reporting old news. They found a hobbit, yeti, alien hybrid waaaaay back in the 80's. Here's a pic:

Attachments

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I believe we'll find life on another planet. We keep finding new life on this plant (furry lobster), but it kinda seems like scientists are looking for life similar to what is on earth (bacteria). It is possible that there are things living that we cannot conceive. What if some non-carbon based life were possible in another environment... too Sci-FI? Even if we did find a bacteria of some sort living on another planet much of the population would probably not consider it significant enough to call life especially the religous groups because their faith would have to be called into question. Anyways just some thoughts... I love space exploration and what we may find. I think the current manned trip to Mars in2030 will be something huge.
Do these religious groups have a God who's a retard? An absolute idiot? He makes a freaking huge universe, with more galaxies and planets than we can even imagine there might be, and creates only ONE with life? And he puts so many varieties of said life that all the different kinds of people go to war with each other? That kind of God is so stupidly wasteful he deserves a good spanking, not worship.

Short version: such beliefs are so nonsensical, it isn't funny.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
And people believe in them so vehemently, its downright scary.

BV

Spartan117

Awards
And people believe in them so vehemently, its downright scary.

BV
I agree, I've even met people who did not believe that the whooly rino existed...lol...I really have met people who did not really believe in dinosaurs because they were not mentioned in the bible. A guess fossils are just man made fabrications so that they could fill museums with something. Who knows.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I saw the face of Jesus on a fried Tortilla in Juarez, does this mean I will soon be abducted and anal probed by aliens? One can only hope.

If you're an eccentric Billionaire, could you buy the DNA replication methods of "Jurrasic Park" and make a Prehistoric Trouser Rhino for yourself and a harem of Hobbits?

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Do these religious groups have a God who's a retard? An absolute idiot? He makes a freaking huge universe, with more galaxies and planets than we can even imagine there might be, and creates only ONE with life? And he puts so many varieties of said life that all the different kinds of people go to war with each other? That kind of God is so stupidly wasteful he deserves a good spanking, not worship.

Fundamental Theism at it`s finest!:blink:

"A cosmic philosophy is not constructed to fit a man; a cosmic philosophy is constructed to fit a cosmos. A man can no more possess a private religion than he can possess a private sun and moon." - G.K. Chesterton

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
It is interesting to read in Genesis where Kain is cursed. I believe that (like many others) that he quite possibly could have been/is bigfoot.

And in reguards to religion and being afraid of there being other forms of life ect.
All over in the scriptures the Lord says he has worlds "without number" or "as the sands of the sea".....
What i want to see is a Cheribum :head:

And in reguards to dinosaurs and religion.... I believe (along with my church) that dinosaurs lived on another earth, and that earth was just part of the matter that was used to construct this earth.

Spartan117

Awards
Hey Whiskey Steve, would you mind explaining the idea of another earth?

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Hey Whiskey Steve, would you mind explaining the idea of another earth?
What do you mean?
(that is a pretty broad question,)
btw I'm no expert....these are just things i have heard from those older and wiser than me

Spartan117

Awards
And in reguards to dinosaurs and religion.... I believe (along with my church) that dinosaurs lived on another earth, and that earth was just part of the matter that was used to construct this earth.

Expand on that statement. Do you mean a seperate planet? That is how I am reading that statement, but you may be coming from a spiritual view. Just never heard that before.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I think the bibe doesn't mention dinosaurs because Christianity most likely is an offshoot of Zoroastrianism, the first known monotheistic religion that is thought to have originated around 1500 BC. (this is debatable of course, but a lot of evidence points to it being true). Genesis was supposedly written by Moses around 1400BC - and of course at that time dinosaurs would have been extinct, and any exposed remains probably would have been taken for mythological creatures (dragons, etc).

People who dont believe dinosaurs existed because they aren't mentioned in the bible are off their rocker, IMO. When i was a kid we used to go to a very fundamentalist church that tought that - my Dad's friend even had a theory that the Devil created the dinosaurs to destroy God's handiwork! (nutjob!)

Anyway, the Bible doesnt mention the Wooly Rhino either, but its obvious this magnificent beast roamed the earth while our species did,as a fully preserved Coelodonta Antiquitatis is on display in a museum in Poland.

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I agree, I've even met people who did not believe that the whooly rino existed
I know! He's always taking the back seat the Mammoth. In fact, there were many, many species of ancient rhinoceros spanning back nearly 45 million years. Brontotherium, Arsinotherium, Indricotherium, Elasmotherium, Teleoceras - all ancient species of Rhino that roamed the earth at one time. Its a shame such a powerful and magnificent creature is on the verge of extinction because of human encroachment on their territory and, of course, poaching. (which is downright evil if you ask me)

BV

CREAO

Awards
I just found Bilbo Baggins and Golum underneath my bed, theres a scientific discovery for ya lol

CREAO

Awards
But yea, I was talking to my dad last night, and he brought up a good point.

He said if the goverment kept pumping the same amount of money they were into NASA up until now, we would probably have a outpost on the moon, manned missions to mars and all sorts of cool things.

I think the potential of life on other planets (even if its just bacteria and such) is more then enough of a reason to fund NASA out the ying yang.

Spartan117

Awards
You know instead of looking for life on other planets we could always introduce life to other planets, especially if water does exist. There are some extremely resilient forms of bacteria that could possibly survive elsewhere.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I agree, I've even met people who did not believe that the whooly rino existed...lol...I really have met people who did not really believe in dinosaurs because they were not mentioned in the bible. A guess fossils are just man made fabrications so that they could fill museums with something. Who knows.
Dude, I have a friend that told me that fossils were put there by the devil so as to discredit GOD. :blink:

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You know instead of looking for life on other planets we could always introduce life to other planets, especially if water does exist. There are some extremely resilient forms of bacteria that could possibly survive elsewhere.
I've always thought that was a great idea.

anyone else notice that the hair man is fond of a hairy rhino? ;)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Ethically there are problems with that. Introduce life somewhere, what if it out competes the indigenous life there, if any? By doing so we could be responsible for the wiping out of entire species. It's not a total argument against the idea, but it's something to consider whether or not we'd want that on our collective conscience. Introducing life elsewhere is one terraforming plan though. Introduce a ton of resilient bacteria to a planet that one day could be hospitable to humans, let them start to transform the environment, introduce more, let the process continue. Kind of like an artifically accelerated version of what happened on Earth. Plants and certain bacteria also provide a source for turning carbon dioxide into oxygen in enclosed habitats off world, providing hydrgoen and other gases for energy, etc.

Spartan117

Awards
Ethically there are problems with that. Introduce life somewhere, what if it out competes the indigenous life there, if any? By doing so we could be responsible for the wiping out of entire species. It's not a total argument against the idea, but it's something to consider whether or not we'd want that on our collective conscience. Introducing life elsewhere is one terraforming plan though. Introduce a ton of resilient bacteria to a planet that one day could be hospitable to humans, let them start to transform the environment, introduce more, let the process continue. Kind of like an artifically accelerated version of what happened on Earth. Plants and certain bacteria also provide a source for turning carbon dioxide into oxygen in enclosed habitats off world, providing hydrgoen and other gases for energy, etc.
I agree with the ethics issue, but with our track record on our own planet I doubt that would be a huge issue. We tend to run over every species on this planet.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the ethics issue, but with our track record on our own planet I doubt that would be a huge issue. We tend to run over every species on this planet.
Yeah, until a superior race comes along and puts mankind in its place. It will happen someday, Im sure. Its tough, because as individuals humans are pretty remarkable. As a species and culture, we've done some pretty horrible things to our planet and eachother.

BV