Arnold cuts ties with Arnold Classic

1. Board Supporter
    Answers

Arnold cuts ties with Arnold Classic

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4765312/detail.html

Schwarzenegger Cuts Ties With 'Arnold Classic'

Move Comes As Calif. Governor Cuts Some Business Ties

UPDATED: 11:20 am EDT July 25, 2005

SACRAMENTO -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has cut his business ties with the "Arnold Classic," the annual bodybuilding competition in Ohio that bears his name, his spokeswoman said Saturday. But money from nutritional supplement companies apparently continues to flow to the governor, although less directly.

The move comes as the governor relinquishes his title as executive editor of Muscle & Fitness and Flex magazines, giving up at least $5 million in income to distance himself from nutritional supplement companies that advertise heavily in the periodicals.

The governor was paid a fee each year to attend the pre-eminent bodybuilding event where dietary supplements also are heavily promoted, said spokeswoman Margita Thompson. She didn't know how much he was paid.

"That financial relationship is over," Thompson said. "He wanted the people to know he's focusing on governing, and didn't want this to be viewed as a distraction."

Similar reasoning drove Schwarzenegger's decision to end his magazine deal about a week ago. He decided to cut financial ties to the Arnold Classic around the same time, aides said.

The governor will keep the previous Arnold Classic fees but refuse any in the future, Thompson said, though he's likely to continue attending the event in Columbus, Ohio.

"I can't imagine he wouldn't," Thompson said. "He's gone every year."

Similarly, the former Mr. Universe said he will keep writing columns for both magazines for free, but has no plans to return the money he was paid before the controversy erupted earlier this month.

Last year, Schwarzenegger vetoed a bill authored by State Sen. Jackie Speier, D-Hillsborough, that would have regulated the use of performance-enhancing substances in high school sports.

Speier was among those alleging that Schwarzenegger had a conflict of interest in acting on legislation that could hurt business in the nutritional supplements industry while at the same taking millions from magazines that rely on the industry for most of their profits.

Schwarzenegger's deal was with a subsidiary of American Media Inc., which agreed to pay $100,000 a year for five years to the Arnold Classic as part of its contract with the governor. The governor's office previously said the magazine's contribution to the event may also be discontinued because it is part of the severed contract.

Aides told the San Francisco Chronicle that the end of the business relationship with the Arnold Classic prompted changes in Schwarzenegger's official economic disclosures.

Dozens of nutritional supplement manufacturers are no longer listed as giving money to Schwarzenegger's Ohio-based Classic Productions Inc., though the manufacturers continue financing the bodybuilding event. Money from Classic Productions now goes to Schwarzenegger's Oak Productions instead of directly to the governor.

Critics said that merely disguises the continuing payments, which Schwarzenegger's aides denied.

"By adding that new level, you effectively hid the source of those funds, " said Larry Noble of the Center for Responsive Politics. "If you can hide the source of money, it's as good as if you had no disclosure at all."

2. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

I think its a good move on his part. Although that was a big source of revenue for him, he dosent need the money. Most of those 'supplement companies' are a bunch of snake oil salesman anyway.

Now he can veto any 'sports supplement' bans without getting a load of BS from a bunch of overweight pansy ass politicians.

Let's just hope Arnold dosent become a decently jacked pansy ass politician

BV
  3. Gold Member
    Answers

This is all such bull**** trying to ban supps! The fact that he even had to cut ties its so stupid and you are right he doesn’t need the money but come on when is all this steroid and supp hysteria going to end cant we get back to the ecstasy craze again or something. Supps and steroids don’t kill healthy people find some thing else that does already. This all reminds me of the shirt that says “guns do kill people, I do!" weather or not this makes any sense I have no idea
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Answers

Translation: My approval rating is 35% so I'm hoping to boost ratings by cutting off ties to the supplement industry.

If he loses, expect him to be right back at the Arnold Classic, ties and all.
  5. Gold Member
    Answers

Arnold can do all the political maneuvering he wants to, but California, it seems, wants to bag him. Too bad IMO.....
  6. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

Honestly, I hope he does lose. Not because I dont want him to be governor, but because I just really want to see Predator 3.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

He's trying to set up for a run at U.S. President if and when they allow non U.S. born citizens to run. Politically, it's a good move on his part. People in this industry can see through what he is doing. But, the ingnorance of the general public is his what he is banking on for that future majority vote.
  8. Board Supporter
    Answers

Let's just hope Arnold dosent become a decently jacked pansy ass politician
    I really hope that doesn't happen either...but chances are that he most likely will..

Quote Originally Posted by BigVrunga
    Honestly, I hope he does lose. Not because I dont want him to be governor, but because I just really want to see Predator 3.
    I think WWE's John Cena's going to be in it as Arnie's son (from Pred 1)
  9. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

I think WWE's John Cena's going to be in it as Arnie's son (from Pred 1)
    Well...I hope he at least does a cameo!

BV
  10. Registered User
    Answers

2 questions...

Are they still going to call it the "Arnold Classic", and will it remain untested (I hope) since arnold doesn't have to look like he wants roids out of it now?
  11. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

I think he's still going to attend the event and everything - he's just not getting paid for it.
  12. Gold Member
    Answers

Armold needs to get back on the supps---j/k
    Last edited by D_town; 10-07-2006 at 03:29 PM.
  13. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

Ive seen that pic before - I think its either a fake or shortly after his heart surgery. If he's still in the same shape as he was in T3, he's still pretty damn jacked.

BV
  14. Registered User
    Answers

Yeah that pic is bull****.
  15. Registered User
    Answers

Guys, I'm tellin' you....arnold is straight HUUUUUGe right now. I was tellin' kwycke the other day in a similair thread...seen him on Leno...was wearing a classy ass suit and looked like he was pushin' a very lean 240 at least....only thing that he has goin' on that gives away his age now is the skin around his neck and face...wrinkles...receding hairline...but the man is still jacked no doubt about it.
  16. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

Got a pic anywhere lifted?
  17. Registered User
    Answers

Got a pic anywhere lifted?
    Nope, sorry....let me see if I can find one on a google search though.
  18. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

I tried...all I find is old stuff. I'd like to see a recent pic of Arnold in posing trunks Somehow I dont think that's gonna happen
  19. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    Yeah that pic is bull****.
    I know, just funny considering the media firestorm on him for promoting supplements.
  20. Board Supporter
    Answers

Ive seen that pic before - I think its either a fake or shortly after his heart surgery. If he's still in the same shape as he was in T3, he's still pretty damn jacked.

BV
    Its before he got in shape for T3.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
  2. Using PGH while cutting, along with IGF
    By Grant in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 10:58 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 12:39 AM