Man cured of type 1 Diabetes

1. Board Supporter

Man cured of type 1 Diabetes

Type 1 Diabetes CURED Using ISLET Transplantation

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE height=250 width=305 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-5563764571993207";google_alter nate_ad_url = "http://www.halifaxlive.com/rec.php";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_cha nnel ="8591829393";google_ad_typ e = "text";google_color_border = "000000";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "000000";google_color_url = "000000";google_color_text = "000000";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>U.K. doctors have cured a 61-year-old man of Type 1 diabetes following three transplants of islet cells obtained from donor pancreases and transplanted by injection, into the man's liver.

The breakthrough, by doctors at King’s College Hospital, could mean the end of insulin dependence for all Type 1 diabetes sufferers.

The procedure is minimally invasive and only takes around 45 minutes to complete, according to a statement released by London's, King’s College Hospital.

The 61-year-old patient suffered from Type 1 diabetes for over 30 years and no longer requires insulin injections.

"This breakthrough in islet transplantation is remarkable. King’s is the first centre in the UK to achieve insulin independence in Type 1 patients." said Mr. Nigel Heaton, Consultant Liver Surgeon. "We have shown that cell transplantation, with both pancreatic islet cells and previously with hepatocyte cells, can offer patients a valuable alternative to conventional treatment," added Heaton.

This is still an experimental procedure for people with Type 1 diabetes in which pancreatic islets from human donor organs are infused into the body to try and replace some of the islet function which the patient has lost. In order to prevent rejection of the islet graft and recurrence of the diabetes, the recipient is committed to taking drugs that suppress the body’s immune system.

Type 1 diabetes often starts in childhood and once present is irreversible. It occurs as a result of the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin being destroyed. Usually, the destruction of the insulin making cells is the result of an autoimmune process, in which the body fails to recognize the cells as its own and destroys them. This destruction results in total insulin deficiency. Prior to this breakthrough the only treatment for Type 1 diabetes was insulin injections.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Source: http://www.halifaxlive.com/artman/pu...5_388833.shtml

Provided there are enough donors, this could be the end for Insulin dependant diabetes.

2. Registered User

Awesome.
  3. Board Supporter

I think that amply sums it up
    •   

4. Registered User

Wow. I'm sure the pharmaceutical giants are ecstatic.

Seriously though, That's F-ing cool. I just think of all those little kids with diabetes that will not have to mess with needles.

I wonder what a lifetime of anti rejection drugs and imune system supression does though.
  5. Board Supporter

That is the only problem I can see with it. It cant be healthy to have a super surpressed immune system like that.
  6. Board Supporter

You gotta learn to walk before you can run.
  7. -Dalla Hunga-
    Somewhere between a 4x12 stack and a power rack...

That's awesome. My Dad has diabetes (type 2)- Im going to email him this link Im sure he'll be interested. Thanks!

BV
  8. Registered User

I find this very interesting as well...such a great discovery

Too bad everyone I know with diabetes has type 2

COTC
  9. The Axe Man Cometh!!
    16th Street Mall checking out the fine Latino Women

Actually this has been toyed with before, with typeI there can be no cure before prevention as the article said its an autoimmune disorder. The body will attack the beta cells again and again, suppressing the immune system is very hard on the body and most of the drugs such as cyclosporin are still given via injection. Its a trade off and if you have good control with insulin injections or with an insulin pump your probably better off without the transplant.
    They have "cured" typeI before with pancreas transplants the only difference here is its just the beta cells they are replacing so I dont think the person has to be dead to be the donor and its done by injection. Interesting but I'll stay with my insulin shots and a decent immune system for now.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 10:49 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 07:46 AM
  3. Incretin Hormones in the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes
    By xtraflossy in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 01:26 PM
  4. Man cures himself of HIV ?
    By Iron Warrior in forum News and Articles