1 in 5 young adults has personality disorder

1. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

1 in 5 young adults has personality disorder

CHICAGO – Almost one in five young American adults has a personality disorder that interferes with everyday life, and even more abuse alcohol or drugs, researchers reported Monday in the most extensive study of its kind.

The disorders include problems such as obsessive or compulsive tendencies and anti-social behavior that can sometimes lead to violence. The study also found that fewer than 25 percent of college-aged Americans with mental problems get treatment.

One expert said personality disorders may be overdiagnosed. But others said the results were not surprising since previous, less rigorous evidence has suggested mental problems are common on college campuses and elsewhere.

Experts praised the study's scope — face-to-face interviews about numerous disorders with more than 5,000 young people ages 19 to 25 — and said it spotlights a problem college administrators need to address.

Study co-author Dr. Mark Olfson of Columbia University and New York State Psychiatric Institute called the widespread lack of treatment particularly worrisome. He said it should alert not only "students and parents, but also deans and people who run college mental health services about the need to extend access to treatment."

Counting substance abuse, the study found that nearly half of young people surveyed have some sort of psychiatric condition, including students and non-students.

Personality disorders were the second most common problem behind drug or alcohol abuse as a single category. The disorders include obsessive, anti-social and paranoid behaviors that are not mere quirks but actually interfere with ordinary functioning.

The study authors noted that recent tragedies such as fatal shootings at Northern Illinois University and Virginia Tech have raised awareness about the prevalence of mental illness on college campuses.

They also suggest that this age group might be particularly vulnerable.

"For many, young adulthood is characterized by the pursuit of greater educational opportunities and employment prospects, development of personal relationships, and for some, parenthood," the authors said. These circumstances, they said, can result in stress that triggers the start or recurrence of psychiatric problems.

The study was released Monday in Archives of General Psychiatry. It was based on interviews with 5,092 young adults in 2001 and 2002, but the authors said the results probably hold true today.

The study was funded with grants from the National Institutes of Health, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the New York Psychiatric Institute.

Dr. Sharon Hirsch, a University of Chicago psychiatrist not involved in the study, praised it for raising awareness about the problem and the high numbers of affected people who don't get help.

Imagine if more than 75 percent of diabetic college students didn't get treatment, Hirsch said. "Just think about what would be happening on our college campuses."

The results highlight the need for mental health services to be housed with other medical services on college campuses, to erase the stigma and make it more likely that people will seek help, she said.

In the study, trained interviewers, but not psychiatrists, questioned participants about symptoms. They used an assessment tool similar to criteria doctors use to diagnose mental illness.

Dr. Jerald Kay, a psychiatry professor at Wright State University and chairman of the American Psychiatric Association's college mental health committee, said the assessment tool is considered valid and more rigorous than self-reports of mental illness. He was not involved in the study.

Personality disorders showed up in similar numbers among both students and non-students, including the most common one, obsessive compulsive personality disorder. About 8 percent of young adults in both groups had this illness, which can include an extreme preoccupation with details, rules, orderliness and perfectionism.

Kay said the prevalence of personality disorders was higher than he would expect and questioned whether the condition might be overdiagnosed.

All good students have a touch of "obsessional" personality that helps them work hard to achieve. But that's different from an obsessional disorder that makes people inflexible and controlling and interferes with their lives, he explained.

Obsessive compulsive personality disorder differs from the better known OCD, or obsessive-compulsive disorder, which features repetitive actions such as hand-washing to avoid germs.

OCD is thought to affect about 2 percent of the general population. The study didn't examine OCD separately but grouped it with all anxiety disorders, seen in about 12 percent of college-aged people in the survey.

The overall rate of other disorders was also pretty similar among college students and non-students.

Substance abuse, including drug addiction, alcoholism and other drinking that interferes with school or work, affected nearly one-third of those in both groups.

Slightly more college students than non-students were problem drinkers — 20 percent versus 17 percent. And slightly more non-students had drug problems — nearly 7 percent versus 5 percent.

In both groups, about 8 percent had phobias and 7 percent had depression.

Bipolar disorder was slightly more common in non-students, affecting almost 5 percent versus about 3 percent of students.

___

On the Net:

Archives of General Psychiatry: Archives of General Psychiatry, a monthly peer-reviewed medical journal published by AMA

2. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

What a crock of sh*t, how f**king convenient.

If you're not an obedient slave who sits completely still in high school, pu$$y out from every fight, love studying and think live is f**king dandy and you love every single person in this world, you need to be drugged.

Imagine if more than 75 percent of diabetic college students didn't get treatment, Hirsch said. "Just think about what would be happening on our college campuses."
    Someone needs to give 100X dose of insulin to this guy to shut him up..
  3. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I think about 40% of the people here have OCD
    •   

4. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I have it. Sad, but true.
  5. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.44%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    39.86738475%, to be precise.

/crap, did I lock the front door?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.18%

...or obsessive-compulsive disorder, which features repetitive actions such as hand-washing to avoid germs.
    So washing your hands is a disease now...?
  7. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HardTrainer View Post
    They mean excessive like for no reason.

You eat chicken wings, so you wash your hands.....20 minutes later, you're washing them again......and again in 30 minutes...etc....

I honestly haven't washed my hands outside the shower in over a year............but if someone wants to do it 50 times a day....who am I to tell them it's not normal?
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.82%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I'd have to agree with this paper.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.06%

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    What a crock of sh*t, how f**king convenient.

If you're not an obedient slave who sits completely still in high school, pu$$y out from every fight, love studying and think live is f**king dandy and you love every single person in this world, you need to be drugged.

Someone needs to give 100X dose of insulin to this guy to shut him up..

agreed. Studies like this are stupid and unrelavant.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

We're all a bunch of whackadoo's,... that's what makes us normal!!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.4%

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    39.86738475%, to be precise.

/crap, did I lock the front door?
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  12. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%

I would have to start a new thread for all the things that I have OCD about... seriously, I'm bad.
  13. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.39%

According to who? The man?

**** we better all go get medicated now!
  14. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.44%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lungz View Post
    I would have to start a new thread for all the things that I have OCD about... seriously, I'm bad.
    Only one thread?

/amateur
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  15. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Only one thread?

/amateur
    With numerous bulletins and links to other pages...
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.36%

Bipolar type 2 disorder right here. Fun times... but weight lifting helps me control the issues that i have with any occurences
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.08%

is pessimistic considered a disorder? if not i have doubts about this article...
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.19%

Quote Originally Posted by gogo View Post
    According to who? The man?

**** we better all go get medicated now!
    I don't think anyone reccommends all of us to seek medications. There are a lot of nutjobs and we can draw many from the populus of this message forum. We don't even know half of what is behind the screen on the other side.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.26%

i wonder which pharma company(s) helped fund that study?
  20. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.39%

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    i wonder which pharma company(s) helped fund that study?
    So true.
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.24%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I am not worried, I dont have THAT disease . . . but others may be getting my other diseases since I dont wash the hands . . .

EVER
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.24%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

This does not prove that society is worse off than it was 50 or 100 yrs ago. We simply have put more studies, bunk or not, in place and more is known of the brain now. Society has always had its "weirdos", they just did not have a diagnosis. People with some disorder were deemed INSANE and over-medicated, some had frontal lobotomies which made them vegetables.

Look at marriage, 50% divorce rate. Divorce was unheard of 40-50 yrs ago because it was socially unacceptable. Were people happier in marriage then? Or did people stay together because you dont get divorced?

Has society changed? Not so much
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.36%

Quote Originally Posted by p5sky View Post
    This does not prove that society is worse off than it was 50 or 100 yrs ago. We simply have put more studies, bunk or not, in place and more is known of the brain now. Society has always had its "weirdos", they just did not have a diagnosis. People with some disorder were deemed INSANE and over-medicated, some had frontal lobotomies which made them vegetables.

Look at marriage, 50% divorce rate. Divorce was unheard of 40-50 yrs ago because it was socially unacceptable. Were people happier in marriage then? Or did people stay together because you dont get divorced?

Has society changed? Not so much
    That is a good point, the only thing thats getting worse about society is the Materialism that shows up in people, esp new generations (im only 20 and i see it) What has come of the world when the only thing that matters about college is getting a good job? Sure thats the point, but nobody wants to get an education for the KNOWLEDGE anymore, they just want money, so they can buy more things.

Jesus, i sound like a hippie
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.19%

Yeah, depending on how many times you do it. If you excuse yourself to wash up every couple minutes, then yeah.

Why isn't not washing your hands a disease? It can spread disease. 90% of people that I've head counted at several gyms will take a crap or a whizz and not wash up. It's disgusting and sometimes I ask people to go wash up.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.69%

Only after the 48'th time in any given 24hr period (2x/hr is acceptable behavior). Now go take your thorazine and lock the dam door one more time!

Similar Forum Threads

1. is HRT common in young adults?
    By mhsattack16 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-15-2010, 03:28 PM
  2. adults only??
    By lifted in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 11:36 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 02:02 PM
  4. Smoking Linked to Glucose Intolerance in Young Adults