Civil trial opens of US ex-marine

1. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Civil trial opens of US ex-marine

The civil trial has opened of a former US marine accused of killing unarmed Iraqi detainees in the city of Falluja, in the first case of its kind.

Snip

According to Navy documents, several marines allege that Mr Nazario shot dead two Iraqi men who had been detained while his squad searched a house.

Snip

The alleged incident occurred during some of the fiercest fighting in Iraq, as US forces battled for control of Falluja in 2004.

BBC NEWS | Americas | Civil trial opens of US ex-marine

Interested in seeing what everyone's thoughts are.

2. Registered User
    Answers

I don't think he should be prosecuted myself, but if you want to see a true travesty of justice then you should visit SGT Vela's website.
    Free SGT Vela
  3. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I don't think they should be prosecuted either, this is ridiculous.

Plus, I would never "allege" or testify against anyone I work with as long as they don't harm our side, especially in that kind of field.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

I do sympathize with both of these cases. However, I just can't get past The Nuremburg Principles.

I hope that there is overwhelming evidence to secure their innocence, as well as inadequate proof of guilt.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

The only reason soldiers get into trouble for this stuff is because someone in the squad wanted to get brownie points for telling on them. There's always one guy who thinks he can get ahead by pointing out the faults of others instead of trying to take care of the problem at the lowest level possible.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

ALL THIS BS PISSES ME OFF BEYOND BELIEF!!!! I HATE IT! I am proud to have served 2 tours in Iraq and the MIddle East, and have seen first hand the stupidity of the Rules of Engagement!! I ****ING REDICULOUS!!! I hope all works out for these two fellow brothers in arms! I stole this line from Sgt Carnahan's site:

People who are not on the frontline of the war have the luxury of second-guessing, they are not in the heat of battle or behind enemy lines having to make life and death decisions.
  7. Banned
    Answers

There's an unwritten honor code that we live by...
    These incidents happen. And NO, they should not be prosecuted.
    Rules of engagement can differ from unit to unit.

Do you know what it's like to watch an 11 year old boy walk up to a check point and blast your friends with a SV? Rules of engagement, huh?
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Exactly, an Unwritten Code. You protect your battle buddy from everything.... EVERYTHING.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.
    Answers

Former Marine right here and I cant agree more... in 99% of these cases they should not be prosecuted... its war... bad things happen in war... but you do everything you can to protect your fellow Marine or shoulder... The safest place in Iraq is where you have a Marine on your right and left... cause you know they have your back

now on the other hand... i have no sympathy for those Army pukes who left their post to rape that girl and kill her family back in 05 or 06
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

The only reason soldiers get into trouble for this stuff is because someone in the squad wanted to get brownie points for telling on them. There's always one guy who thinks he can get ahead by pointing out the faults of others instead of trying to take care of the problem at the lowest level possible.
    I disagree. Sometimes people just want to correct a wrong that was commited and end up going further back than forward when they 'rat out' a fellow solder/marine. Also, war crimes should NEVER be handled at the lowest possible setting. Do you know how much damage it does to the cause to be commiting the same atrocities we're there to defend them from?That makes everyone look bad when something like this occurs and isn't legit. There are some ****ed up people among us and they are in honorable professions (teachers, police, soldiers, Priests)

I think soldiers should be defended and never hung out to dry or allowed to be scape goats. I also believe a fair trial is in order for anyone who breaks our Law of War. You're right about people not being there, shouldn't be second guessing things that take a split second to make a decision on but in some of these cases it is fellow military in the same settings, making these claims.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    I disagree. Sometimes people just want to correct a wrong that was commited and end up going further back than forward when they 'rat out' a fellow solder/marine. Also, war crimes should NEVER be handled at the lowest possible setting. Do you know how much damage it does to the cause to be commiting the same atrocities we're there to defend them from?That makes everyone look bad when something like this occurs and isn't legit. There are some ****ed up people among us and they are in honorable professions (teachers, police, soldiers, Priests)
    I didn't mean that they should get away with the really F-ed up stuff. I meant more for things like rules of engagement, or little things that get blown out of proportion because someone tells. The whole rape situation would obviosly not be something little.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Understood. I agree with the smaller issues that become FUBAR
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Gorilla Pit Opens 11/2/2009
    By Gorilla Pit in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 08:23 AM
  2. Keep the discussions civil and constructive