How do you mentally survive a cut?

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
Hey all, I'm about a month into a cut and this is the first time I'm determined to get lean enough to fully see my abs in natural daylight(not just flexing under good lighting in the bathroom mirror). My diet and training is in check and the weight is coming off but I was looking at a picture a friend took of me today and it hit me. F#ck, I look small and stringy. Perhaps it's lack of muscle glycogen, perhaps it's that I really am a skinny little punk. It's times like these that I always give up on getting shredded and enter full bulk mode again...never to achieve that lean physique many of us strive for.

So I'm curious, what do all of you do to mentally survive a cut? Any personal strategies that help keep you motivated?

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Carb up one day or night on the weekend and the next day you'll look full again, then go back to cutting. I use it as a reminder from time to time that the flatness is not permanent.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Carb up one day or night on the weekend and the next day you'll look full again, then go back to cutting. I use it as a reminder from time to time that the flatness is not permanent.
Yeah a good carb up from time to time will make you look fuller-not fat and more confident again

Gcrewhcp

Gcrewhcp

Awards
Loading will help fill you out. Its not as simple as people make it. You have to experiment with it to see what is most beneficial to you. Mod fat/High carb or Low fat/High carbs are two options. You also have to determine if should keep protein in or out. Also, the duration of the Load comes into play.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff in here.

It all comes down to Willpower

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
Well I'm really deep into my cut at this point but I'm getting called "too skinny" on a regular basis. I will say this. I do look very thin with a shirt on but other wise my physique has improved quite a bit.

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
May 3 and the right is July 2. About 24lbs less as well.
IMG_20180702_092144.jpeg

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Nice work doogans. What’s your current weight now?

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
Nice work doogans. What’s your current weight now?
Thanks brother. Currently at 158ish but sometimes a bit more or less. I'm doing intermittent fasting + cyclical ketogenic diet so the scale fluctuates a ton. The lowest I've seen is 152.5. I'm 5'9 for what it's worth.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Nice progress so far. Down 24lbs?! Damn dude... killin it!

Being lean definitely messes with your head. When I'm lean I feel like a string bean without a pump. It's definitely a lot of will power and mindset, but as long as you are happy and confident in your skin then who cares what other people think.

I think cheats/refeeds are very helpful. CKD is a great way to structure a diet - I've done CKD in the past and really enjoyed the refeed days balanced out with a super-strict week.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Certainly looks like what you’re doing is working. I’d choose to be motivated by the success.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what supps are you on while on your cut

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
Nice progress so far. Down 24lbs?! Damn dude... killin it!

Being lean definitely messes with your head. When I'm lean I feel like a string bean without a pump. It's definitely a lot of will power and mindset, but as long as you are happy and confident in your skin then who cares what other people think.

I think cheats/refeeds are very helpful. CKD is a great way to structure a diet - I've done CKD in the past and really enjoyed the refeed days balanced out with a super-strict week.
Thanks dude. I'm going to start incorporating 2 refeed days per week. I figure I can afford it now and I'll be able to keep an eye on my body fat as I introduce more carbs into the equation.

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
what supps are you on while on your cut
I started off using Follidrone 2.0 and Exotherm but the exotherm bottle has been finished for a little while now. Currently taking Epi-Plex pre workout to help with endurance.

Honestly though, these supps are just a little helper to give an extra edge. At the end of the day, dieting hard is what works for me.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
I started off using Follidrone 2.0 and Exotherm but the exotherm bottle has been finished for a little while now. Currently taking Epi-Plex pre workout to help with endurance.

Honestly though, these supps are just a little helper to give an extra edge. At the end of the day, dieting hard is what works for me.
Great work, doogans! The weight and muscle comes back fast once you reach your goal. Good luck!

reulert

Awards
As others said, I usually have two carb up days where I lower protein and fat a bit and eat more carbs obviously I still maintain a slight cal deficit on those days and might add in a little more cardio then usually those days (example tuesday and thursday high carb days rest of the week are lower excluding a refeed day every week. My pumps the morning after in the gym are usually much better due to the carbs in my system from the day before.

refeed day once a week where I eat a little over maintenance. this is the biggest help for me to not lose my ****. I still eat healthy and relatively clean but I can eat more calorie dense foods or eat out without being so worried that Im not tracking every thing so precise.

sipping BCAAs though out the entire day and drinking lots of sparkling water helps keep the hunger away as well as coffee in the morning.

I train Monday through Saturday with a complete rest on Sunday and time my refeed on Friday night or Saturday sometime around noon or post workout saturday.

Just what works for me.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Great job on your progress. When someone says you look too skinny tell them "how about we both take our shirts off right now in this room in front of everyone and we will see how we look to them. What do you think?"

See how fast they turn down your offer because they are insecure!

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
Great job on your progress. When someone says you look too skinny tell them "how about we both take our shirts off right now in this room in front of everyone and we will see how we look to them. What do you think?"

See how fast they turn down your offer because they are insecure!
That is a good solution to the skinny comments

It's difficult for people not involved with lifting/fitness to understand what we are doing when we diet down. Fortunately, I've achieved the lean physique I've never had and now it is time to fill my frame back out(hopefully with a little less fat)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

It's difficult for people not involved with lifting/fitness to understand what we are doing when we diet down. Fortunately, I've achieved the lean physique I've never had and now it is time to fill my frame back out(hopefully with a little less fat)
You can do it

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You Master Your Mind and Thoughts. Your Body will Master itself. Discipline Dedication,and hard work!

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards

Yes I agree! Drove me crazy when people would say stuff to me before my shows earlier this year. My wife would always calm me down and say "don't let those get to you. They do not understand and probably never will. Just let it go and be proud!"

Well atleast I placed in the top 5 in my first ever show (Masters physique) which was my reward and gave me the last laugh.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Great work.

I love to look lean so that’s what fuels me. My physique always looks better when I’m leaner. Also have much better workouts as my mind muscle connection and contractions are always much more intense when The body fat is lower and muscle density more visible !!

Glow

Awards
Understand that for every good thing, there is a sacrifice that you must make. Nothing can come your way on a silver platter. If you are committed to developing lean muscles, you must start somewhere. You must lose the excess fats, look emaciated the way you are doing before you start developing muscles. Don't look at what your friends are doing or saying. Just know your goal and focus on getting it right. I would recommend that you avoid taking pictures as much as you can because they are not adding value to your life. Instead, they are derailing you from your course.