Very beginner needs advise

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
Wasn't sure where to post this so hope this is the right sub-forum for it. I have jumped with both feets into a life change back in October 2016 and lost some 24kgs till now. Still have 5-8kgs more to go to be in decent shape but I am getting there.

I know that in order to order to keep the weight off I need to do changes to my life style as I can not live on a diet! So I am thinking to start weight training more consistently at least a couple of times per week. While main concern is keeping the weight off I would also like to 'bulk' some muscle and be able to see some progress as a consequence.

How would you advise my to start in terms of supps?

- whey protein shake after training?
- creatine?
- any pre work out?
- advises on food cycling?
- some 'all in one' product?
- anything for recomp?

Thanks!!!

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
Should add that as you might realise I have never taken any of these supps other than just protein. So I am not familiar even with the basics such as creatine, glutamine or BCAA or anything like that.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wasn't sure where to post this so hope this is the right sub-forum for it. I have jumped with both feets into a life change back in October 2016 and lost some 24kgs till now. Still have 5-8kgs more to go to be in decent shape but I am getting there.

I know that in order to order to keep the weight off I need to do changes to my life style as I can not live on a diet! So I am thinking to start weight training more consistently at least a couple of times per week. While main concern is keeping the weight off I would also like to 'bulk' some muscle and be able to see some progress as a consequence.

- creatine?
- any pre work out?
- anything for recomp?

Thanks!!!
Losing and maintaining weight is about calories in; quality; and expenditure.
There is no magic pill for diet or maintenance, but the answer is in the previous sentence.

Supplements only serve to give you a slight edge over none at all.

"Whey proteine shake after training"
I'm assuming you are referring to the 'anabolic window of 90 minutes post workout' which I believe isn't as important as just eating good healthy foods. Avoid 'boxed' foods, and favor organic and grass fed beef for protein over a shake if you can.

The benefit of whey protein over casein for instance is the faster digestion and benefits gained, but do not discount casein protein. They are both deprived from milk. Whey will be a thinner consistency and in my opinion more flexible because I can mix it with grass fed organic whole milk.

"Creatine"
This is probably one of the most tested supplements, and I advise you to read up on it.

"Pre-workouts"
There are two types of pre workout supplements. Stimulant based and non-stimulant based.
Start with non-stimulant based if you do decide to use one. I used to use one after my morning coffee (kick starter) and then off to the gym 30 minutes later. It worked out great. You will get quite a few recommendations.

"Food Cycling"
I think you are referring to carb cycling. There are others such as intermittently fasting; the warrior diet, etc. This may be more dependent on your exercise routine schedule. If you can train fasted, the better this would fit. I don't think at this point you should be too concerned.
Fasted Cardio has it's benefits.

"Some All-In-One Product"
The only all in one I can think of that may apply could be a 'meal replacement shake'. Is this what you are referring to?
Not needed if you eat healthy. A lot of cruciferous vegetables, good protein, and a lot of water. Real food is best.

"Anything for Recomp?"
You are trying to maintain or continue to lose more weight. I suggest you continue on course and not worry about recomp yet. Get your body fat down to 15% or below, continue to lift. Do remember, resting is just as important to your progress as anything. The anabolic window for rest is one to a maximum of 2 ash days before having to stress that body part again. The rest resets you and maximizes your efforts.

For example: 3 on 1 off routine

Day 1. Chest and Arms
Day 2. Legs and Calves
Day 3. Back and Delts
Day 4. Off / Cardio
Day 5. Repeat day 1-4

After you feel confident your body fat and composition is to your goal, then you can start working towards a bulk.
This is something to address later.

Good luck!

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the exhaustos response and great data. This is quite a lot of info to start with. Looks like I shouldn't overcomplicate it at this point and probably just stick to anything I do for fat burning and then some protein after training (either whey or whole food) ans maybe some creatine but not much than that.

Only thing I must admit when it comes to dieting is that while I do eat plenty of protein from whole foods (meat, chicken, lamb, salmon, tuna, etc) I certainly do NOT eat enough veggies as I do not enjoy them so perhaps I would need to look at some fiber supplement in that department?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Track your intake for a day and see where your fiber comes in, it is unlikely you will need to supplement extra.

Greens are easy to fit into your day though so I would try to work some more in for the benefits, have a stir fry!

As you are quite new to things my recommendation is to go light on supplements to start, add in one or two things and see how you feel about them. Creatine would be the obvious starting point.

If you want an all-in-one as I see on your list, that would cover your creatine and hit a few "wants" on your list here I would suggest looking into PEScience Ergonine. Really takes a lot of work out of this for you as everything in the formula is at the studied dose in one tasty scoop taken any time daily.

Overall it is an ergogenic (performance enhancing) formula but several ingredients are also well known to increase lean mass, and more still that are known to lower fat mass. If that wasn't enough, you can also expect to see some improved recovery time.

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Driven2lift for the comprehensive response. I was giving Tr1umph a look but will right now look into Ergonine from PES.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

- creatine?
- any pre work out?
- anything for recomp?

Thanks!!!
Whey training is not needed right after training. You can have any protein source and you do not need to slam down a shake as soon as you exit the gym. If you want a shake, go for it, but if you like whole food better, that is the better option. I would also suggest a whey/casein blend like PES Select, MAN Clean Protein or BSN Syntha 6. Blends are actually better than straight whey or casein.

Your creatine and all in one product can be met with PowerMax XT. An ergogenic aid like PowerMax XT would be fine to stack with a product that you are running for the first time. Either of these products should be a staple in one's supplement regime. Betaine and creatine, which are in both are very vauleable and not only hav a positive impact on performance, but also body composition. PowerMax XT contains a full 2.5 grams of betaine. Look at the two studies below, they are pretty telling.

http://www.ergo-log.com/the-anabolic-effect-of-betaine.html

http://www.ergo-log.com/betaine-gives-bodybuilders-more-muscle-and-less-fat.html

You do not need to cycle food. I personally like carb cycle, you can see my outline of my macros in my log. Here is a good readl this is what I have based my carb cycling around.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/carb-cycling-codex

Pre workout, are you looking for something with stimulants or non stimulant?

Recomping is VERY difficult, but can be done with a very strict diet and a small surplus in calories. Supplement wise, I would look at some natural anabolics and also forskolin. Forskolin will increase cAMP levels and help with increasing fat loss while also increasing lean mass. Now, diet needs to be on point, but it is a great ingredient. Here are some good reads on the ingredient.

Forskolin increases metabolism, burns fat, breaks down triglycerides, and increases lean-body mass
The thyroid stimulating strength of forskolin has been compared to TSH (thyrotropin). Thyroid hormone levels are important for leanness.
Forskolin has increased total testosterone by 16% in male subjects during a 12-week trial.
https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/burn-fat-pile-on-muscle-with-forskolin

Fat Mass:  The colforsin group lost 4.52 kilograms (9,94 pounds) of fat, plus or minus 5.74 kilograms, while the placebo group lost only 0.51 kilograms (1.12 pounds), plus or minus 1.91 kilograms.
Lean Body Mass:  The colforsin group gained 3.71 kilograms of lean body mass (8.162 pounds), plus or minus 4.07 kilograms, while the placebo group gained 1.57 kilograms (3.45 pounds), plus or minus 2.56 kilograms.
Testosterone:  The Testosterone of the colforsin group rose 33.7 percent, while it decreased 18.35 percent in the placebo group.
https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/dont-kill-the-messenger

The total body weight of a mixed group of men and women in a 12-week study decreased from 74.7 kilograms to 73.5 kilograms while experiencing increases in lean body mass (without weight training).
https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/tip-the-t-boosting-capsule-you-need-to-take

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16129715

https://legionathletics.com/forskolin/

http://www.infinitelabs.com/forskolin-reviews/

AlphaMax XT is a natural anabolic that contains a full dose of forskolin, plus many other ingredients that work together to increase testosterone, reduce cortisol levels, stress, and boost libido. Currently, Nutriverse has 20% off PowerMax XT and AlphaMax XT by adding the products to your cart and they have a 5% off code for our forum, the code is AM5.

https://www.nutri-verse.com/buy-2-alphamax-xt-get-1-free/

https://www.nutri-verse.com/alphamax-xt-by-performax-labs/

https://www.nutri-verse.com/powermax-xt-by-performax-labs/

That sale ends March 1.

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
Thanks AntM1564 for the detailed response and all the reading material. I will make sure to take some time to read and continue educating myself. From what I have been reading and investigating it looks like an 'all in one' staple would probably be the best way to go in order to make sure that you are getting everything you need and in the right amounts -ie creatine, l-glutamine, betaine, etc. I will definitely add PowerMax XT to the list (where I already have Tr1umph and Ergonine).

Forskolin I already have a bottle on my way (actually Shift, not pure Forskolin) but have read about it and understood it would be good for me to run an 8 to 12 weeks cycle. Probably would go for pure Forskolin once Shift is over if the all in one does not contain it.

Any other opinions or comments are more than welcome, this forum and mainly its people are awesome!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks AntM1564 for the detailed response and all the reading material. I will make sure to take some time to read and continue educating myself. From what I have been reading and investigating it looks like an 'all in one' staple would probably be the best way to go in order to make sure that you are getting everything you need and in the right amounts -ie creatine, l-glutamine, betaine, etc. I will definitely add PowerMax XT to the list (where I already have Tr1umph and Ergonine).

Forskolin I already have a bottle on my way (actually Shift, not pure Forskolin) but have read about it and understood it would be good for me to run an 8 to 12 weeks cycle. Probably would go for pure Forskolin once Shift is over if the all in one does not contain it.

Any other opinions or comments are more than welcome, this forum and mainly its people are awesome!
I would suggest signing up for PES's email subscription. They have forskolin as a standalone and when they have an Insider Sale, I would stock up.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wow. You really got some great responses here. Good luck bro!