Genetic limit

Sanpedro93

Awards
Given that training, nutrition and sleep are all done right, barring any unforeseen detrimental events such as a drop in testosterone levels, after how many years of consistent training would an individual have completely exhausted his genetic potential?

I have heard some people state it can be reached in as little as two years and people who said you can still make marginal gains up to 10 years.

My question is at which point are literally no gains made not even 0.0001%

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I would say never, gains will always be made even if it is only one extra rep at a given weight once every 6 months it is still a gain of sorts

Sanpedro93

Awards
I would say never, gains will always be made even if it is only one extra rep at a given weight once every 6 months it is still a gain of sorts
Never? I think theres for sure a limit otherwise we'd all look like ronnie coleman

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Never? I think theres for sure a limit otherwise we'd all look like ronnie coleman
Didn't say gains would be of any significance but there will always be something just not noticeable even over long periods.

Sanpedro93

Awards
Didn't say gains would be of any significance but there will always be something just not noticeable even over long periods.
Good point. Its like you will probably gain very marginally at some point in training up till your testosterone levels stave off in the mid 30s

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Even then they continue, I am in my early 50s and this year I have increased my 1rm in both squats and deadlifts but both bench and overhead press have not improved

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And i think also that a perfect scenario where one did everything right from the start is hard to find.

Im 38 now and have been lifting for 25 years and still gaining. But no way did i do everything correct from the beginning. As you go you try and fail and it might even take 10 years before youve figured out how your body responds. And by then you have aged some and might have to try new things to keep it going. Its a process that never ends, and i love it.

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
This is way too subjective to so many variables to get a clear cut answer

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Given that training, nutrition and sleep are all done right, barring any unforeseen detrimental events such as a drop in testosterone levels, after how many years of consistent training would an individual have completely exhausted his genetic potential?

I have heard some people state it can be reached in as little as two years and people who said you can still make marginal gains up to 10 years.

Food, training and sleep. As long as you optimize these 3 you will grow for many many years..

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Is there even such a thing as a hard genetic limit? Epigenetics tells us that environmental factors change how our genes are expressed.

That said, I think it's clear that some people just have far higher response to weight training than others. Some IFBB pros for example probably looked better before their first cycle than many of us would look at 5-6 cycles.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established

I feel once the .00001 can't be made, you make .000001 progress. Like an asymptote. But there's a point where the work to make that progress isn't worth it. I used to want to grow forever, but now I just want a nice lean, muscular equilibrium to maintain. I feel.ive made most of my muscular progress, now am focusing on getting and maintaining lean.

ironhands

ironhands

Awards
  • Established
there's a limit for enhanced bodybuilders, meaning you'll see massive enhanced bodybuilder but we are not seeing anyone who is 400 lbs 5'9'' and ripped, with 5% bf, it's just not happening any time soon, there's a reason pro bodybuilders look the same year after year, it's because they are maxed out, they can only refine their physique here and there, but that's about it. Dorian Yates looked pretty impressive at 5'11'' 265 lbs, but that's big as he was gonna get onstage, he reached his maximum limit. However we natties (i'm assuming you are natty since you are posting in the natty section) we can always grow, slowly but surely, Paul Anderson was a very fat man at 400+ lbs but he was natty and extremely strong, underneath all that fat he had a huge amount of muscle. Mike O'hearn is 6'3'' 260 lbs of muscle and all natty, and can probably bench around 500 lbs. Goes to show there are not limitations for natties