1. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Does anyone else do vaccums?
    I do when I remember, I think it is a very good exercise
    TEAM GET DIESEL
    GET DIESEL NUTRITION | SINCE 2002 | GETDIESEL.COM

Use Code 'Rocket5' for 5% off at FeFiFo.com

2. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    When I remember to, I do vacuums. I feel like I do them much more in the spring and summer when I'm thinking about the beach more, haha
    Performax Labs Online Company Rep
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
    •   

3. That's precisely my observation too. See so many people hitting their abs every which way sometimes with heavy resistance. It doesn't make much sense for my goals of building an extreme v-taper. Thing is I noticed my waist expanded from heavy front squats. Basically when my front squat went up by 100lbs I'd gained size on my waist despite a constant bf%. Back squats exclusively now as I feel they hit my core less. Do vacuums when I remember. Pullovers religiously at the end of every workout.

4. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    This. A good friend of mine who I've worked out with a lot since HS used to do heavy, low rep (6-10 reps or so) ab work, and while he had "developed" abs, with good depth between the abs, he just had a general distended look, almost like you see with today's pros (no, he hasn't used any drugs/gear). Now that he's doing lighter weight, higher rep ab work, he's keeping the definition, but getting rid of the distended look. Just a n=1 anecdote.

Exactly! It's even more questionable when the people doing it are only in the gym for aesthetic purposes (not that it's a good exercise for athletic performance, but that's why a lot of people justify it).

What are vaccums?

5. Quote Originally Posted by ELROCK View Post
    What are vaccums?
    The sucking in, or vacuuming, of the stomach/abs that a lot of old school bodybuilders did in many poses. To practice you can do vacuum holds, when you suck your stomach in (I've heard think belly button to spine). Breathing out first helps. You can do them lying, kneeling, seated, etc. Lying is the easiest for me to feel it and get a big vacuum:

Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
    •   

6. Got it, thanks!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rocket3015 View Post
    I get a kick out of seeing all the Guys and Girls at the gym doing side bends with like a 50lbs dumb bell, I always want to ask them why they want a wider waist ??
    i do side bends (with 25's though)! lol i have such a short midsection that if i don't "grow " a slightly bigger waist, my abs wont be visible. I need to become a bit leaner too.... but ive been leaner than I currently am and had no visible abs. I have to grow them. my waist is naturally 22 , so if i get to a 23-24 inch waist, but its got more defined abs, i'll take the trade
    I don't make sandwiches and I don't clean house BUT I do play PC games and lift weights. Instagram: unicorn_droppings_for_you

8. Quote Originally Posted by UnicornDrpns View Post
    i do side bends (with 25's though)! lol i have such a short midsection that if i don't "grow " a slightly bigger waist, my abs wont be visible. I need to become a bit leaner too.... but ive been leaner than I currently am and had no visible abs. I have to grow them. my waist is naturally 22 , so if i get to a 23-24 inch waist, but its got more defined abs, i'll take the trade
    Side bends with lighter weight can be helpful, but there are other great ways to work your obliques for definition over size. I am a big fan of core twisting movements to develop the obliques
    Performax Labs Online Company Rep
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

9. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    That's precisely my observation too. See so many people hitting their abs every which way sometimes with heavy resistance. It doesn't make much sense for my goals of building an extreme v-taper. Thing is I noticed my waist expanded from heavy front squats. Basically when my front squat went up by 100lbs I'd gained size on my waist despite a constant bf%. Back squats exclusively now as I feel they hit my core less. Do vacuums when I remember. Pullovers religiously at the end of every workout.
    Pullovers s after every workout sounds interesting.

10. Quote Originally Posted by CorpKiller View Post
    Pullovers s after every workout sounds interesting.
    I find this also depends on how you're doing them. For me, I often do them relatively heavy at the end of my chest workout, but don't quite bring the dumbbell as far down as possible, as I find the deepest stretch hits lats more than lower chest; you can sort of change the focus of it. I suppose using a lighter weight and just focusing on the stretch could work anytime, but I wouldn't do heavy pullovers approaching failure after every workout.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. how many times a week do you train abs?
    By srocco112 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 06:18 AM
  2. How often do you train with no supplement?
    By baconbaco in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 06:27 AM
  3. How often do you work your abs???
    By chris808costa in forum Bulking
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
  4. How often do you train while "On"?
    By PumpingIron in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 10:18 PM
  5. How often do you guys train each bodypart?
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM