How often do you train abs.

DocOptimzed

DocOptimzed

Awards
In a week how often you train abs and generally how many excercises , sets and reps ?

grizzly237

Awards
Around 3 times a week 2-3 exercises 3 sets of 15+ reps depending on exercise.

balos

balos

Awards
away from competition never train them. when I am closer to the competition I train them about 2 times a week with 7/8 series... to max reps with short rest

jackedjimbean

Awards
I never train them. I always get a HORRIBLE cramp when i do. Yes i'm hydrated

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Every other day and I have been seeing beter results.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
A lot!!! Sometimes every other day, and sometimes back to back if I train light. I train them often becouse I am introducing some calisthenics into my training. Its helped me with every functional outside of the gym activity I engage in.

AnthG82

AnthG82

Awards
3 times a week after each session I will dedicate a quick ab blast maybe just the 1 exercise x3 sets till fail

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I would do them if I had more time. In my best shape years, it was twice a week 3 exercises, 3 sets each for max reps. Trying to get more time to get them back in. I feel stronger when I do them with frequency

clk

clk

Awards
Pretty much every training day. I'll do 3-4 sets of some ab variant to failure.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
i just started training them and ive been lifting for 4 years.... :puppy_dog_eyes: . now im doing them 3x/wk , just leg lifts and side bends...

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Everyday. Side/high/low planks, Russian twists, leg raises, flutter kicks, and a few crunches.

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
It is very common to overlook adequately strengthening the 'core', which includes a band of muscle that sits behind the abdominal wall plus other deep seated muscles. I trained for over 20 years not directly training the abs/core and gradually you start to pay a price through injury and stability that prevents moving onto greater levels of strength in basic moves.

I now do a Pilates and yoga class (once a week each) to complement my weight training and for the past several years have had less niggly injuries as a consequence.

Working abs is fine, but working the core is something i wish i had done with the same intensity and commitment as legs, chest and arms from the start!

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As many times as you can possibly fit in. Doesn't have to be every day but just like calves abs can be worked quite often without getting over worked. When I was at my most chiseled point I was doing abs almost daily and some days more I'd just fit random sit up sessions in throughout my day even out of the gym. Always keep in mind abs are mad in the kitchen not the gym as well.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Don't train them directly. Indirect training from compound exercises is all they receive. I could care less. If I want more definition in the abs i work at lowering my bodyfat %. I like to keep the waistline as small as possible. Certainly not an area I want to see excessive hypertrophy. If I remember correctly steve reeves avoided training abs like the plague for this reason.

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
Although worth dedicating time to the 'core' as opposed to just abs, i also try and avoid ending sessions with core work because it diverts blood to the ab region and given the amount of muscle in the midsection i'd rather keep the pump within the muscles i have specifically worked.

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
I try to balance abs and lower back in order to keep a decent posture.
Overdoing abs while neglecting hyperextensions leaves me walking hunched.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone else subscribe to the belief you can overdevelop your abs/obliques to where there is a significant increase in waist circumference? Personally i'm not so sure how much mass you can add to the mid section just rather err on the side of caution.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I never train them. I always get a HORRIBLE cramp when i do. Yes i'm hydrated

I train abs 2-3 times a week and I get cramps also after a good ab session, I have learned to like them !!

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone else subscribe to the belief you can overdevelop your abs/obliques to where there is a significant increase in waist circumference? Personally i'm not so sure how much mass you can add to the mid section just rather err on the side of caution.
I think if you are consistently adding weight to your ab exercises, and you're training them with heavy weight, its definitely possible to overdevelop them. I always stick to a higher rep range with abs, and often times just do body weight exercises for 20-25 reps. I might be completely wrong with my approach, but I would rather have tight definition than massive chunky abs

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think if you are consistently adding weight to your ab exercises, and you're training them with heavy weight, its definitely possible to overdevelop them. I always stick to a higher rep range with abs, and often times just do body weight exercises for 20-25 reps. I might be completely wrong with my approach, but I would rather have tight definition than massive chunky abs
I agree, lf you want a bigger chest you press more weight, so why train for "Bigger" abs ??

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I agree, lf you want a bigger chest you press more weight, so why train for "Bigger" abs ??
Exactly. Agreed 100%. I understand when you first start you want to use some resistance to build a foundation. But intermediate and advanced lifters shouldn't need to continue to increase resistance for ab training. If you can see your abs and they're shaped well, there's no need to blast them with heavy weight

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I get a kick out of seeing all the Guys and Girls at the gym doing side bends with like a 50lbs dumb bell, I always want to ask them why they want a wider waist ??

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This. A good friend of mine who I've worked out with a lot since HS used to do heavy, low rep (6-10 reps or so) ab work, and while he had "developed" abs, with good depth between the abs, he just had a general distended look, almost like you see with today's pros (no, he hasn't used any drugs/gear). Now that he's doing lighter weight, higher rep ab work, he's keeping the definition, but getting rid of the distended look. Just a n=1 anecdote.
I get a kick out of seeing all the Guys and Girls at the gym doing side bends with like a 50lbs dumb bell, I always want to ask them why they want a wider waist ??
Exactly! It's even more questionable when the people doing it are only in the gym for aesthetic purposes (not that it's a good exercise for athletic performance, but that's why a lot of people justify it).

Does anyone else do vaccums?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
That's precisely my observation too. See so many people hitting their abs every which way sometimes with heavy resistance. It doesn't make much sense for my goals of building an extreme v-taper. Thing is I noticed my waist expanded from heavy front squats. Basically when my front squat went up by 100lbs I'd gained size on my waist despite a constant bf%. Back squats exclusively now as I feel they hit my core less. Do vacuums when I remember. Pullovers religiously at the end of every workout.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This. A good friend of mine who I've worked out with a lot since HS used to do heavy, low rep (6-10 reps or so) ab work, and while he had "developed" abs, with good depth between the abs, he just had a general distended look, almost like you see with today's pros (no, he hasn't used any drugs/gear). Now that he's doing lighter weight, higher rep ab work, he's keeping the definition, but getting rid of the distended look. Just a n=1 anecdote.

Exactly! It's even more questionable when the people doing it are only in the gym for aesthetic purposes (not that it's a good exercise for athletic performance, but that's why a lot of people justify it).

Does anyone else do vaccums?
What are vaccums?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What are vaccums?
The sucking in, or vacuuming, of the stomach/abs that a lot of old school bodybuilders did in many poses. To practice you can do vacuum holds, when you suck your stomach in (I've heard think belly button to spine). Breathing out first helps. You can do them lying, kneeling, seated, etc. Lying is the easiest for me to feel it and get a big vacuum:

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
i do side bends (with 25's though)! lol i have such a short midsection that if i don't "grow " a slightly bigger waist, my abs wont be visible. I need to become a bit leaner too.... but ive been leaner than I currently am and had no visible abs. I have to grow them. my waist is naturally 22 , so if i get to a 23-24 inch waist, but its got more defined abs, i'll take the trade

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
i do side bends (with 25's though)! lol i have such a short midsection that if i don't "grow " a slightly bigger waist, my abs wont be visible. I need to become a bit leaner too.... but ive been leaner than I currently am and had no visible abs. I have to grow them. my waist is naturally 22 , so if i get to a 23-24 inch waist, but its got more defined abs, i'll take the trade
Side bends with lighter weight can be helpful, but there are other great ways to work your obliques for definition over size. I am a big fan of core twisting movements to develop the obliques

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's precisely my observation too. See so many people hitting their abs every which way sometimes with heavy resistance. It doesn't make much sense for my goals of building an extreme v-taper. Thing is I noticed my waist expanded from heavy front squats. Basically when my front squat went up by 100lbs I'd gained size on my waist despite a constant bf%. Back squats exclusively now as I feel they hit my core less. Do vacuums when I remember. Pullovers religiously at the end of every workout.
Pullovers s after every workout sounds interesting.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pullovers s after every workout sounds interesting.
I find this also depends on how you're doing them. For me, I often do them relatively heavy at the end of my chest workout, but don't quite bring the dumbbell as far down as possible, as I find the deepest stretch hits lats more than lower chest; you can sort of change the focus of it. I suppose using a lighter weight and just focusing on the stretch could work anytime, but I wouldn't do heavy pullovers approaching failure after every workout.