plz answer

DocOptimzed

DocOptimzed

Awards
Bodybuilding is to gain muscle, to look better, larger, more huge, competitions are judged by who looks better.
Powerlifting is to lift more heaviest weights and to lift more and more and to build an amazing strength. Competitions are jugded by who lift more.
Which program is better and why?
Who's Stronger, BodyBuilder or Powerlifter? !

jramoska

jramoska

Banned
Awards
Do both. Arnold was a power lifter before he went into bodybuilding. If you use your brain it's obvious power lifters are stronger cuz their main focus is lift as much as possible. :)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Typically a power lifter is stronger, but many body builders incorporate PL type routines. Marissa Inda, girlfriend to Chad Wesley Smith (power lifter), does both physique and power lifting meets and has for over 20 years. Her opinion is to lift heavy and focus on accessory lifts and the muscles will come anyway.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Question boils down to this: which one is your goal?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Which program is better and why?
Not better, different. To attain differing outcomes, looks or performance

Who's Stronger, BodyBuilder or Powerlifter? !
Usually the PL'er will be stronger in the 3 lifts he trains to compete in.
There are also genetic advantages/disadvantages in both categories.
There have also been some really strong BB'ers.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not better, different. To attain differing outcomes, looks or performance

Usually the PL'er will be stronger in the 3 lifts he trains to compete in.
There are also genetic advantages/disadvantages in both categories.
There have also been some really strong BB'ers.
"Stronger" also depends on the rep range. While powerlifters may lift more weight for a max, or do more reps with a heavy weight, bodybuilders can often do more reps with a lighter weight.

The squat off between Tom Platz and Fred Hatfield comes to mind for me, where Hatfield beat Platz in a max squat (855 vs 765 according to some sources), but Platz beat Hatfield in reps with ~500lbs (I've heard it was between 495 and 525) (23 reps vs 11 reps).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Stronger" also depends on the rep range. While powerlifters may lift more weight for a max, or do more reps with a heavy weight, bodybuilders can often do more reps with a lighter weight.

The squat off between Tom Platz and Fred Hatfield comes to mind for me, where Hatfield beat Platz in a max squat (855 vs 765 according to some sources), but Platz beat Hatfield in reps with ~500lbs (I've heard it was between 495 and 525) (23 reps vs 11 reps).
That's muscular endurance not strength.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's muscular endurance not strength.
True, but couldn't you say that Platz was "stronger" in the 15-20 rep range than Hatfield? I feel like we're sort of arguing semantics here.

DocOptimzed

DocOptimzed

Awards
Typically a power lifter is stronger, but many body builders incorporate PL type routines. Marissa Inda, girlfriend to Chad Wesley Smith (power lifter), does both physique and power lifting meets and has for over 20 years. Her opinion is to lift heavy and focus on accessory lifts and the muscles will come anyway.
good points dude

Manhataan

Awards
A powerlifter is almost always going to be stronger than a bodybuilder. There are exceptions, but any individual who trains to be a powerlifter will necessarily be stronger than if he trained to be a bodybuilder.

Which one is better? Well, for health purposes, I think that being a bodybuilder is better. Being a powerlifter puts a lot of stress on your ligaments, tendons, and joints.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
. Being a powerlifter puts a lot of stress on your ligaments, tendons, and joints.
Not necessarily. Sure, if you max effort every lift.