Looking for some advice

C

crunchie12268

Awards
I come to you guys out of frustration and have convinced myself that I'm not confident I know what I am doing :)

I've been "lifting" for about 10 years, I'm 29 years old, 6'4", 244.4lbs. Simply put I want to be strong and lean by the time my anniversary comes around (August) and I don't know if I can do it with my existing plan. The only thing I feel like I have going for me is discipline, I'm at the gym when I'm sick, I don't eat if I'm starving and I'm outside my calculated calorie intake for the day, if I have a plan I stick to it down to the calorie... I got that part.

I take in 2610 calories a day, with a 20/45/35 (F/C/P) split... I lift 6 days a week for about an hour. Right now I'm losing weight consistently and it feels good, in 4 weeks I've dropped 10 pounds. Losing weight is fine, but I hate losing the strength at the same time due to the decrease in calories.... Is there a way I can cut this extra fat off and still gain strength? Or can I only do one or the other?

Snow3y

Snow3y

Awards
Hey man,

Based on my past experience in cutting I found that losing strength (especially as bad as you say it is) usually happens when I cut TOO aggressively. I'm personally a fan of very long cuts, where I literally only use 1-2kg a month (about 2.2lbs-4.4lbs a month) this ensures me I'm not losing much muscle, and I'm sure to not lose much strength at all.

I also find that keeping my training very focused on strength workouts (4-8, very rarely up to 12 rep sets) and I ensure every training day is different. No 2 leg days are the same routine, no 2 back days the same, etc...

Also prioritize rest after training. Make sure to recover well, keep very focused on getting in key micro-nutrients throughout the day.

Hope this helps you out..

Little bit about me:
Been training for 5 years, more-so seriously the past 3 years.
I'm currently cutting for my 3rd time in my bodybuilding career, this time for competition.
I don't believe in knowing everything about nutrition, dieting, training, etc. because everyone's body is different and there are new things to learn every day.