Deep tissue massage

halljo

halljo

Awards
I've read that basically every pro and amateur that has pro potential, gets deep tissue massages regularly. From what I understand it is used to break up the fascia, help expand the muscle and helps with mass/growth potential.

Anyone have any long term experience with these types of massages? I have tried it before, once, a while back, and not only did it hurt like a MF! but I was literally worthless for a week, cause I felt like I was hit by a truck.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Deep tissue massages are so effn painful. I will never ever get another one.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I want one.....

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't get deep tissue massage, but I do get A.R.T on the regular (active release technique).

Think of what it's like getting a deep tissue massage, but moving the joint(s) belonging to that muscle group in the full range of motion while the practitioner presses and pulls in the opposite direction. It's super intense, but the best kind of pain, therapeutic pain.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't get deep tissue massage, but I do get A.R.T on the regular (active release technique).

Think of what it's like getting a deep tissue massage, but moving the joint(s) belonging to that muscle group in the full range of motion while the practitioner presses and pulls in the opposite direction. It's super intense, but the best kind of pain, therapeutic pain.
I have been trying to find a good ART person for a while now and still haven't yet. And yes I used the practitioner list from the ART site but when I go they end up just being chiros who don't really do ART

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have been trying to find a good ART person for a while now and still haven't yet. And yes I used the practitioner list from the ART site but when I go they end up just being chiros who don't really do ART
Most of the people I go to are also chiro's. I've had various levels of experience with it, but I've luckily found a really good sports clinic by my office here that's covered by insurance. I keep getting letters from my insurance though asking if I've been injured at work, etc. Super annoying.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get an X-Wife. If you don't have the steel connections, they have ones you can fill yourself. Nothing has helped my posture and get out the kinks in my upper back like body tempering.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Get an X-Wife. If you don't have the steel connections, they have ones you can fill yourself. Nothing has helped my posture and get out the kinks in my upper back like body tempering.
Haven't heard of this, looks interesting. I'm guessing by the weight of it that it's something you'd want to purchase in person and not ship though lol.

I like how this looks for the ribs. Lately I've been digging into my seratus/intercostal muscles myself with my fingers, after using EMS/TENS on them. They are such small muscles though, gotta be careful when using electrostim on them.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I asked my friend who is a massage therapist and he said that it'll help the muscles to relax and increase blood circulation as well as flush out lactic acid. Our muscles will recover and grow through blood. :)

fro60ol

fro60ol

Awards
  • Established
Don't get them as often as I would like because of the price but they help just make me feel refreshed

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I asked my friend who is a massage therapist and he said that it'll help the muscles to relax and increase blood circulation as well as flush out lactic acid. Our muscles will recover and grow through blood. :)
Lactic acid is flushed out within moments of buildup. You know that...

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Umm.. what's this xwife cuz this is what Google says

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Umm.. tried adding massage tool to the search words and got...

Which I think isn't it either

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Omg!!!!!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hahahaha wording is everything

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So in all honesty, the x-wife is kinda similar to rolling a barbell with weight on it. I like my mwod stick for this (similar to the step-child), but could definitely use something heavier like this too.

Normally for my back, I use a firm rumble roller while holding a heavy a$$ KB on my chest. Pretty intense. I don't think the ex-wife could be used alone unfortunately :(

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can x wife the whole front side of your body yourself easily, along with biceps. The magic of the x wife really comes in when you Let It chill for long periods of time (5-10 minutes). On the Achilles I've seen people gain 5 degrees of dorsiflexion, when I lay it along my spine I can feel it morph to the flatness of the tool, and the list goes on and on.

It's amazing on the upper back, you can get it around to all the scap musculature. It penetrates tough tissue easily. Its an incredible tool to have. The best source of info on it is Donnie Thompson's Facebook page. He comes up with new stuff to do with it nearly every day, and he spends 45 minutes under one to four x wifes daily, along with all of the smaller size tools he uses on the IT, feet, hands, and forearms.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I usually go on a streak and PR within a few weeks after a good deep tissue sports-type massage. there are different kinds of massages and SOMA or sports or something that is truly geared towards performance tends to help unbind fascia in my experience.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I mistakenly bought my mom a hitachi wand for Xmas when I was a kid cos she always had a stiff neck.

:truestory:

DemonDevster

Awards
I've read that basically every pro and amateur that has pro potential, gets deep tissue massages regularly. From what I understand it is used to break up the fascia, help expand the muscle and helps with mass/growth potential.

Anyone have any long term experience with these types of massages? I have tried it before, once, a while back, and not only did it hurt like a MF! but I was literally worthless for a week, cause I felt like I was hit by a truck.
Most the time the reason the deep tissue massage is dont is so it can break down the scar tissue that develops from doing alot of steroid injections