Opinion on carb cycling

J

JerryCool17

Awards
So I'm 20 weeks out from a show, my first show actually and. I'm experimenting with jay cutler's carb cycling diet 3 days high 2 medium 1 high back to medium then back to low on Monday. Monday I do 300 carbs same on Tuesday and Wednesday then for medium I do 450-500 for Thursday and Friday and Sunday and Saturday I do high around 700-800. I know it's a lot but it actually helps with cravings on the high day and I don't have Chet meals on a prep. What do you guys think? I been doing this for a week now working on my second and I'm down 6 pounds. I'm at 269 now But I do two hours of cardio hour in the morning and hour at night after training. and my water intake is cycled as well. So I'm pretty sure it's water. So what's your guys' opinion on that? I want more opinions on it then what if been getting. Thanks everyone!

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
Are you natural or enhanced? 269 is REALLY big. Carb cycling is amazing for fat loss/muscle retention. I think you are on the right track for sure. If you aren't getting leaner just cut some carbs from the high carb days and/or add a little cardio.

If you are on gear then you should try posting this in the Anabolics section and tell everyone exactly what you are working with so that they can give you better feedback.

J

JerryCool17

Awards
No I'm natural I'm 17 and don't plan on taking gear till 19-20 and I do do cardio twice daily

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
Wow, are you doing a bodybuilding show? Honestly if you are 17 and 269lbs that is the biggest 17 year old I have ever seen or heard of (assuming that you are decently lean). You should post some pics up! Anyway, if you are natural then I HIGHLY recommend doing something like Lyle McDonald's UD2.0. I have used a slightly modified version of this approach every time I cut/do a show. I am show ready in 8-10 weeks when it takes everyone else double that. I also usually gain a small amount of muscle oddly enough from the high volume.

J

JerryCool17

Awards
Ok I'll check it out! I have a really ****ty phone Camara but I'll try to get some pics up in a bit

J

JerryCool17

Awards
I went to go take some pics and to tell the truth I look like ****. I haven't took pic in a while I'm debating on goon on nothing but low days at 250-300 carbs but I have lost weight since I started this so I'm going to take a pic and then In a few weeks I'll post a before an after progress photo.

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
I went to go take some pics and to tell the truth I look like ****. I haven't took pic in a while I'm debating on goon on nothing but low days at 250-300 carbs but I have lost weight since I started this so I'm going to take a pic and then In a few weeks I'll post a before an after progress photo.
Sounds good man! Enjoy the bodybuilding journey. You are really really big for your age and to be natural at those stats. Carb cycling will treat you well for sure.

J

JerryCool17

Awards
Thanks man I appriciate it a lot your one d the very few to not be a ass hole on here haha

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man I appriciate it a lot your one d the very few to not be a ass hole on here haha
Haha thanks. There are a lot of good people on here. Sometimes I think people just get carried away a bit and overshoot. Also, I've noticed a lot of people say dumb stuff from behind a keyboard instead of helping people out. In saying that, there are a lot of good people on this board thankfully that just like helping people out. It's also MUCH MUCH better than bb.com boards =p.

J

JerryCool17

Awards
That's true as hell bb.com is terrible but your right makes no since why people have hate and not help out

Thompson2003

Thompson2003

Awards
Try eating below 60g of carbs per day for 5 days a week and then have 2 carb up days per week. So Saturday and Sunday are carb up days where u eat all the carbs u want (within reason of course). Do not count any of the carbs from vegetables against your daily totals. This approach isn't the easiest but it works well and doesn't require as much monitoring as a high, medium, low carb cycling.

J

james117

Awards
Or you can just have 470g carbs everyday. Look, there's been good advice given but at the end of the day you can't burn more fat by using one particular method and get to where you want to be in the shortest time. You can't "hack" your body. It's not stupid. If you want to maintain as much muscle and lose as much fat then figure out your calories maintainance by getting your weight in pounds and times it by 13. Take 200 calories away and boom your in a deficit and will begin burning fat. Don't even worry about cardio until progress stops. Then throw an hour session in a week. Carb cycle or do wateva but just track your intake and make sure your in a constant calories deficit. Carb cycling, kero, backloading etc won't get you shredded. Applying the laws of thermodynamics will.

cutandrun

cutandrun

Awards
First I would like to tell you it is awesome you are wanting to compete so young. It will be an amazing adventure for you. I am also proud that you are going to stay away from gear until you and your body is ready. zoomie33240 is right try and check out some other sources of carb cycling. I wouldn't recommend doing a source from someone with great genetics and geared. Not saying it isn't good, i have not read it but just putting my input out there.
Carb cycling works off of the principle of putting your body in a state of Ketosis for a short amount of time then replenishing your glycogen levels in attempt to not loss muscle mass. Ketosis has had a misconception as a diet. It is actually the term you place your body in with low glycogen levels. To put it in laymen terms, glycogen is the storage of carbs in your body in your muscle fibbers. In ketosis you deplinish that storage and your body must find energy from the next readily available source which is fatty acids. Now it gets a ton more complicated from there. but I would recommend to follow james117 advice in sticking to consistency on calorie deficit diet. I think the experienced and educated users on the natural side of our forum need to start doing a couple threads for the younger on theology of contest prep, different states of the body, and what to expect and look for as you start dropping into contest ready bf%
Keep up the good work!