How do you know if you have good genetics?

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
This may sound like a silly question "How do you know if you have good genetics?". But how do you know? What indicators to look for?

Drock1234

Awards
Do you mean in terms of athletic performance or physic or chances of getting a disease?...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are you naturally good at most sports you play? Do you progress faster than those around you? Do you excel at most things you do physically?

Also, how do your family members rank at the above? Do you have several athletes in your family? Bonus points if you do on both sides.

It's fairly intuitive if you think about it. You should be able to spot the indicators.

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
You do know your family right?

anabolix

Awards
  • Established
If your built like a greek god and you've never touched a weight, then you've got great genetics lol! I have known several people like this.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Do you mean in terms of athletic performance or physic or chances of getting a disease?...

Sorry for being so vaugue. I mean good genetics as in ability to quickly gain muscles as in bodybuilding. I hear the term nothing beats genetics often but never explained on what good genetics mean.

You do know your family right?
lol, I do know my family (i think). I wasn't asking for me as I know I DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING CLOSE TO GOOD GENETICS. I was just curious to hear what others had to say.

anabolix

Awards
  • Established
It's obvious when you see it. Like I said, if someone is built like a tank and doesn't work out or only does pushups...these types can start working out and explode. My buddy was always ripped/muscular and I always tried to get him to workout, but he never really had an interest. There was about a month and a half or two time period when I got him to workout, and he put on 30 lbs..no kidding! He took NO supplements..not even creatine! It was not bloat and he still had a ripped six pack with all the weight he added. Unfortunately he gave up after that and never goes to the gym. He maintained that new muscle for ever by sitting on the couch and going fishing. Every once in a while he'll do a few pushups, and that's all it takes him to put the muscle back on. It's rare that he even does pushups however. His dad is in his late 60's and benches like 350 lbs lol, so id say some premium dna is at work here. Ya im a little jealous haha..

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Best way is to look at your family history, relatives, etc. I've talked to my dad about his weight In high School. Talked to my uncle and a few other relatives. All scrawny as **** in high school not very much muscle mass and no athletes in my family that's for sure. My genetics ****ing suck

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my little brother stays a lean 210lbs ish and I think is 6'1 or so year round and lifts on average less than once a week I think. he also has thick legs and decent shoulders, etc. If he truly lifted for hypertrophy he'd be huge.

I'm 5'9 and hang out at about 179lbs when 8-10% bodyfat. I'm thicker than him in some ways, but i bust my ass for it and eat clean every single day. genetically he is a quite gifted. I'm not upset about my genetics, but he wins. lol

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Maybe natural testosterone above the normal range would mean good/great genetics.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This may sound like a silly question "How do you know if you have good genetics?". But how do you know? What indicators to look for?
Measure your weiner.

Lol sorry it was too easy :D

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Easy........

Do things the right way and if you don't get solid results within the first year then you have bad genetics.

For example lets use weight loss as an example. Person is obese and goes to the gym , works with trainers, eats as healthy as they can. Never loses weight or really struggles with weight loss. That person's bad genetics are preventing them from getting the results they want to.

Same thing can be said for weight lifting or bodybuilding. If you are lifting, eating right, and going to the gym and do not get solid results then your genetics are bad when it comes to "Gains."

You have to take a positive with a negative. Say you lose weight easily but find it hard to bulk. Find a medium and focus on that. Maybe you are a tall person who has to come to the realization that you will more than likely always have a nice lean physique with lower body fat. Work on toning your muscles, adding definition, and going for that look. Nothing wrong with it at all. Everyone is different! Work to your strengths that god has given you.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good genetics, bad genetics... Fcuk yo sh*t! Don't fcukin let it define you or discourage you from your goals. Only stupid a** people will use it as an excuse to give up.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Good genetics, bad genetics... Fcuk yo sh*t! Don't fcukin let it define you or discourage you from your goals. Only stupid a** people will use it as an excuse to give up.

x's 2

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Yes but a person must be realistic also. You can't compare yourself to anyone else. I'll tell you another thing, if you think you are going to be an IFBB Pro without lots of gear you are a moron. Im talking about having sponsors who are giving you $50,000 a year to invest into yourself. You gotta travel, train, eat tons of food and prepare your own meals, take gear/supplements, medical bills, hotels, gas, car maintenance. What if you are on the road and your car breaks down? What do you do? Better have the money or you are not going to be able to go to the gym or the store. Taking gear? Ran out of it? Better have the money to get some more from your doctor because guess what? Your body doesn't produce it naturally anymore and never will again. Say hello to TRP for the rest of your life. Welcome to bodybuilding.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes but a person must be realistic also. You can't compare yourself to anyone else. I'll tell you another thing, if you think you are going to be an IFBB Pro without lots of gear you are a moron. Im talking about having sponsors who are giving you $50,000 a year to invest into yourself. You gotta travel, train, eat tons of food and prepare your own meals, take gear/supplements, medical bills, hotels, gas, car maintenance. What if you are on the road and your car breaks down? What do you do? Better have the money or you are not going to be able to go to the gym or the store. Taking gear? Ran out of it? Better have the money to get some more from your doctor because guess what? Your body doesn't produce it naturally anymore and never will again. Say hello to TRP for the rest of your life. Welcome to bodybuilding.

wtf-is-this-meme-face.jpg

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
LovingtoLift, so how long have you been a professional bodybuilder?
Never claimed to be but if you deny IFBB Pros use roids and receive lots of money from sponsors you are living on another planet.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
wouldn't a realist be prepared?

you know how long your cycle is, so its bought in advanced
since everyone is different, how much gear do you really need? what are you telling me one needs 15,20,25 or 30 k worth of gear? LMAO
if your car breaks down, there is a bus, cab or friend- might want to bike for cardio. there are other ways
there are also local and state shows that you can compete in.
albeit 50 k isn't a ton of money, but if you can plan your cycle, plan your macros, and plan your routine, you sure as shyt can plan a budget

I get the questions, but the everyone of your answers is on the fail/neg side-

reality isn't the problem, those who cant adjust are

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
wouldn't a realist be prepared?

you know how long your cycle is, so its bought in advanced
since everyone is different, how much gear do you really need? what are you telling me one needs 15,20,25 or 30 k worth of gear? LMAO
if your car breaks down, there is a bus, cab or friend- might want to bike for cardio. there are other ways
there are also local and state shows that you can compete in.
albeit 50 k isn't a ton of money, but if you can plan your cycle, plan your macros, and plan your routine, you sure as shyt can plan a budget

I get the questions, but the everyone of your answers is on the fail/neg side-

reality isn't the problem, those who cant adjust are
I was speaking of a person who actually gets to the top level. The best of the best.

Also what about the millions of people who have aspirations of getting their pro card? You better have a good sponsor who is backing you with lots of money. Just like any sport. Look at Tennis players or golfers. They go to mini tour events in Florida, pay for entry fees, get their clubs worked on, drive all over the state to tournaments, stay in hotels, work with swing coaches. Tens of thousands of dollars to back them and they aren't even pro's yet on the PGA Tour. They are just out there doing their best, grinding away to see if they are good enough to make a living. Do you know what the average PGA Tour player spends a year investing into their game once they make it to the big show? Travel, hotels, swing coaches, entry fees? Over $100,000 a year. Bodybuilding isn't cheap. A good trainer can command 100 dollars or more per session. Then you gotta pay your diet coach and so forth. I can't imagine its very affordable unless you have a great sponsor especially the higher the level you compete at.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I was speaking of a person who actually gets to the top level. The best of the best.

Also what about the millions of people who have aspirations of getting their pro card? You better have a good sponsor who is backing you with lots of money. Just like any sport. Look at Tennis players or golfers. They go to mini tour events in Florida, pay for entry fees, get their clubs worked on, drive all over the state to tournaments, stay in hotels, work with swing coaches. Tens of thousands of dollars to back them and they aren't even pro's yet on the PGA Tour. They are just out there doing their best, grinding away to see if they are good enough to make a living. Do you know what the average PGA Tour player spends a year investing into their game once they make it to the big show? Travel, hotels, swing coaches, entry fees? Over $100,000 a year. Bodybuilding isn't cheap. A good trainer can command 100 dollars or more per session.
no, bb isn't and for that fact, why the F is golf so expense?

anywho, I hear what ya saying

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
no, bb isn't and for that fact, why the F is golf so expense?

anywho, I hear what ya saying
Golf becomes expensive when you are working with swing coaches, sports psychologists, traveling in your car all over the place, entering events, using expensive equipment, and investing into membership fees at the golf course you practice at. Many of the guys out there belong to private clubs so that can cost over $10,000 per year alone. Also many guys now are into fitness and work with strength and conditioning coaches.

There is a swing coach in Florida that many of the guys work with. His name is David Leadbetter, and his fee for 3 hours is $3500. Hank Haney who was working with Tiger Woods charges $10,000 per day! If you want to work with him its not per hour like so many others allow.

http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2013/02/top-5-coaches-in-golf-2493196.html

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I grew up in Fl, near eagle trace- near the country club. back then it wasn't cheap, even playing on a public course isn't cheap these days.

I should have taken golf in college, DAM IT

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I grew up in Fl, near eagle trace- near the country club. back then it wasn't cheap, even playing on a public course isn't cheap these days.

I should have taken golf in college, DAM IT
Eagle Trace is a great course! The Honda Classic was there for years. Toughest tour stop the PGA ever had other than a major. That course is just brutally challenging. You grew up in a very nice area that many of the guys live in. Some still use Eagle Trace as their home club.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
yea, back in the 80's up to the 90's in coral springs- have to laugh because I was dating a girl and her parents had a house on the course. week before he came down to visit we broke up.

he was PISSED- he wanted to play on the course sooooo bad- ill never forget that. "why couldn't you just wait one more week"
dad, I could have, but my balls couldn't!

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Calves and traps, I never work them out but they're still well developed. If you can transform your body with little effort thank God for your good genetics

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Its just common sense. Some people have great hand eye coordination, so they are good at table tennis or baseball.

Some people are able to run fast for long distances.

Some have great bursts of speed for short distances.

A guy cannot be taught how to run a 4.4 , 40 yard dash. They were not blessed with good enough genetics to do that.

A person who has good genetics for bodybuilding will know it within a couple years. The Pro's you see out there? Within 5-6 years they were competing at the top level. Within a couple years many of them were already winning local competitions. The guys that make it professionally in Bodybuilding make up about 1 % of people who lift in the world.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Its just common sense. Some people have great hand eye coordination, so they are good at table tennis or baseball.

Some people are able to run fast for long distances.

Some have great bursts of speed for short distances.

A guy cannot be taught how to run a 4.4 , 40 yard dash. They were not blessed with good enough genetics to do that.

A person who has good genetics for bodybuilding will know it within a couple years. The Pro's you see out there? Within 5-6 years they were competing at the top level. Within a couple years many of them were already winning local competitions. The guys that make it professionally in Bodybuilding make up about 1 % of people who lift in the world.
I'd say more like .1%

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I'd say more like .1%
This is why I advise people not to get caught up in magazines. Its not real life and not how the human body naturally develops even with serious weight training.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is why I advise people not to get caught up in magazines. Its not real life and not how the human body naturally develops even with serious weight training.
Apparently you don't take your own advice because from all your posts and threads, you're chasing "perfection" and everyone else who doesn't shouldn't even bother training.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
And if BB isn't paying your mortgage and taking care of you and your family, THEN DO NOT TAKE THE SAME/SIMILAR RISK

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Apparently you don't take your own advice because from all your posts and threads, you're chasing "perfection" and everyone else who doesn't shouldn't even bother training.
Im chasing perfection of my own body. I focus on myself and look to improve on it every single day.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
low blow.......

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
came here to get my genetics checked and found out I was a bad golfer :(

all because I ran out of gear mid cycle and my sponsors didn't pay enough for new swing coaches.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Genetics don't carry nearly as much weight as the fitness industry would have you believe. Jay cutler and others were scrawny little bitches before they started using AAS

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Genetics excuse is just a scape goat 99% of the time.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Genetics don't carry nearly as much weight as the fitness industry would have you believe. Jay cutler and others were scrawny little bitches before they started using AAS
Not true. Most of those guys have natural test levels that are higher than even guys who use roids. Dorian Yates for example had a natural test level in the 1000's. So gifted that he grew by just touching a weight.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not true. Most of those guys have natural test levels that are higher than even guys who use roids. Dorian Yates for example had a natural test level in the 1000's. So gifted that he grew by just touching a weight.
Cool story bro.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Cool story bro.
You are a freakin idiot if you don't think its true. Yates benched over 300 pounds the first time he ever tried the exercise. You will never be him. Nor will you ever be Jay Cutler.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You are a freakin idiot if you don't think its true. Yates benched over 300 pounds the first time he ever tried the exercise. You will never be him. Nor will you ever be Jay Cutler.
You really got to stop preaching these random words as facts. Dafuq do you know? Hey guess what i squatted 400lbs for 36 reps the first time i eyeballed the bar. Nomsayn'

To the latter point, who would wanna look like either of them? lmfaoooo

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
You really got to stop preaching these random words as facts. Dafuq do you know? Hey guess what i squatted 400lbs for 36 reps the first time i eyeballed the bar. Nomsayn'

To the latter point, who would wanna look like either of them? lmfaoooo
LOL

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Genetics do play a big role when it comes to being an IFBB Pro (mainly with getting a card in heavier weight classes). You don't need to have the best, but they do need to be good. One example is John Meadows, who has pretty good bodybuilding genetics, worked his ass off for longer than many on this forum have been alive, and finally turned pro, after first placing well at the national level about 17 years ago. He even made it to the Arnold this weekend where he was the most conditioned, but placed poorly, which I believe was due to his shape, that he worked incredibly hard to improve (and did dramatically) from his last show.

Most people truly don't have the potential to reach the top of the sport, no matter how hard they work at it and what they use in their attempt to maximize their potential. This is the same for most professional sports (most are genetic freaks). If you're 5'5" and can't jump, but work harder than anyone else, don't expect to be playing in the NBA unless you're an extreme outlier.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Another thing that some people don't consider is the individual genetic response to AAS. You will find guys that are smaller and blow up, while others are naturally muscular and close to, or have reached, their genetic potential, that don't see a good amount of accelerated growth with the introduction of AAS.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
mod edit: control yourself and what you post or you're going to be removed. this is not your first warning.