Selective Bulking?

JKD2001

Awards
Hey guys, newbie here.

Slowly coming to an end to my cut which went pretty well and I need some training advice. I'm an honorary member of team no calves, bad genetics, high calf inserts (more excuses I'm forgetting I'm sure). My calves are 14.5" and by Bi's are 15.5", my legs also look a bit small for my upper body considering I have a pretty large rib cage, making my chest look bigger. I want to maintain size on my upper body on this upcoming bulk, but increase size in my legs. My plan was to eat in surplus, nothing too drastic though, and use 20 rep squats for my upper leg area and blast my calves every 2-3 days depending on soreness. While I'm doing this, I'd like to use low reps, high weight on heavy upper days, and use light weights with bands for speed work on light days. While I AM expecting to gain size in my upper body, do you guys think this is an effective way to try and even out? Other ways to do this more effectively based on personal experience? Also, if this has been covered exactly as I am asking it please link it to this thread and I'll refer to that instead. Tried searching but I'm either not wording it correctly or there isn't much out there regarding this situation.

Stats:
Bench - 295
Squat - 395
Semi-sumo deadlift - 450
Height - 5'9
Weight/bf - 170lbs/13%

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Don't over complicate it to much. Do legs twice per week and other body parts once. I wouldn't go over about 12 sets in each of your leg sessions or you will not recover. The extra frequency should help your legs grow.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, jus to clarify, I would not go over 12 sets on quads per training session. I would throw a few extra exercises in to isolate hamstrings. One in the strech position (stiff legged deadlifts) one in the netural position (hamstring curls or glute ham raise) and one in contracted position (seated hamstring curls)